Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I did my first learn to play hockey yesterday! It ruled! I learned I need to work on the outside right skate edge way more, and my left backwards c-cut a lot.
I felt great going backwards so I'm glad I did it.
It was something like an hour of skating basics. I learned things like "use your toe" when cutting and I'd been using my heel and middle of skate. I feel like learning from someone would have helped me learn way faster but I'm glad I've self taught myself so I'm not dead weight.

The last half hour was a scrimmage. It was 5v5 no goalie with the net on its side, and 4 subs on each side. I played right D and did great breaking up passes and forcing the winger to the outside boards. And I got some good poke checks in on the guys who are clearly beer league players already!

I ended up playing almost the entire time because every time I came for a line change everyone was like "give me 30 more seconds" so I just stayed out.

So loving fun. Now I just need to practice skating for 3 hours today and try to find those outside edges.

Tonight I am going to practice shooting a street hockey ball in the back ally with my wife for a while too. This sport is so fun and I fully blame Hockles for not getting me to start 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
RC Cola's backwards crossover posting has got me practicing them a lot in warmups lately as well and I've actually gotten to the point where I can gain a bit of speed doing them. Feels like a magic trick Next stop: the elusive left-over-right forwards crossovers. Another one of those things that I can technically execute but they don't feel good and I never do them automatically in games.

Also after a couple months in I'm pretty happy with longer stick (going from just under my chin to now just under my nose on skates.) Shooting from in tight is a bit tougher but everything else feels way better and the extra bit of length on poke checking has made a huge difference when I'm playing D. Last week I scored one of the best goals of my life with it (picked up a rebound and fired it right into the top corner from the slot)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That cooler is loving awesome

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Implement it with Roomba tech so it can deliver beers on it's own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$330 be the coolest dude in beer league.

https://c3customcoolers.com/products/zamboni-zrc-blu001

Every team demanding you on their roster with that bad boy.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

prom candy posted:

RC Cola's backwards crossover posting has got me practicing them a lot in warmups lately as well and I've actually gotten to the point where I can gain a bit of speed doing them. Feels like a magic trick Next stop: the elusive left-over-right forwards crossovers. Another one of those things that I can technically execute but they don't feel good and I never do them automatically in games.

Also after a couple months in I'm pretty happy with longer stick (going from just under my chin to now just under my nose on skates.) Shooting from in tight is a bit tougher but everything else feels way better and the extra bit of length on poke checking has made a huge difference when I'm playing D. Last week I scored one of the best goals of my life with it (picked up a rebound and fired it right into the top corner from the slot)

I am glad I helped motivate you! I'm super loving bad at right crossovers forwards and backwards, but the left side has clicked at least.

Skating is life. I just have another 6 days until learn to play hockey day 2. Really want to work on those skating fundamentals beforehand.

I can even go for a run tomorrow since it'll finally be less than 90 degrees!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Teammate only spent 20 bucks on raffle tickets. So good deal.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Add it to the kitty

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Add the roof rack and it'll pay for itself, toss your gear bag on top and drive that poo poo into the locker room. Never hurt your shoulder again trying to get through a door.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
You can also buy a trailer or a wheeled cooler for more beer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

Add it to the kitty

Add it to the fuckin kitty

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Add it to the fuckin kitty

Adding it to the kitty was never not the plan.

The question that will tear the team apart is who takes it home.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

Adding it to the kitty was never not the plan.

The question that will tear the team apart is who takes it home.

Proximity to the liquor store + our A/V team deploying drones, I think our location priorities may change

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Are we......... are we gonna have our remote controlled zamboni beer cooler aerial refueled by drones?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I practiced skating more today. Right outside edge is still impossible but I'm going to just keep focusing on it every day until it clicks. I can do backwards c-cuts really quickly now though. I can go backwards almost as fast as forwards in a straight line somehow. No idea how that happened. I assume I'm just really slow going forwards now.
I think I'll time myself tomorrow doing forwards and backwards.

Any chance ya'll have timed yourselves doing suicides? Goal line to blue line and back -> center back -> far blue and back -> goal line and back?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

Any chance ya'll have timed yourselves doing suicides? Goal line to blue line and back -> center back -> far blue and back -> goal line and back?

Those are also called 60-second drills, so I usually try to finish in one minute.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Those are also called 60-second drills, so I usually try to finish in one minute.

That's good to know, I'll try it today.

Also how good are this guy's videos?

https://youtu.be/k8KcoVsfyHA

I realized watching videos will probably help a lot more than fumbling around on my own

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My yearly post with the NHL summer guys, less than 2 months from 40 so I'm glad I can still hang even pushing 230lbs. I ended up with more wins than the ECHL goalie I was up against which always feels nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fYc_70lcE

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Our team is in the Summer playoffs, and we got smoked by a team we had an easier time beating before.

It was so bad that we checked their stats and turns out they were sandbagging the whole season (they went from a losing record to undefeated in the playoffs so far). I was in nets and could see that they could just take control whenever they wanted, whereas we couldn't even get a decent zone entry going. I've EBUG spared for a team 2 DIVs up and they were easily even better than that.

Worst part is that they gooned it up in the last 8~10 mins so badly that the refs had to call it. We didn't even get to play the whole amount that we paid for.

I've no idea why I bother playing anything but private pickup anymore.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

titanium posted:

My yearly post with the NHL summer guys, less than 2 months from 40 so I'm glad I can still hang even pushing 230lbs. I ended up with more wins than the ECHL goalie I was up against which always feels nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fYc_70lcE

Dang, you are really good! Is everyone nice and cool? And do you have beer after

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

LowOnCyan posted:

I've no idea why I bother playing anything but private pickup anymore.

I still haven't been on the ice since some dipshit checked me into the boards and I separated my shoulder and broke my finger in March. Even in loving D-League there will always be an rear end in a top hat willing to put you in danger to get the puck. I'm probably gonna be sticking to my regular pickup skate instead of league for a while. It's not private, but it's the exact same guys every week and they're a good group.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

RC Cola posted:

I realized watching videos will probably help a lot more than fumbling around on my own

No? Time on the ice as a beginner is the single best thing you can do. Fumble around.

I love a good private lesson on or off ice but honestly every beginner can watch a lifetime of hockey then when they start playing they have no fuckin clue where they are or where they should be or how to get there. Really hard for videos to translate by just watching them in my experience helping a lot of new adults learn to play.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

. Even in loving D-League there will always be an rear end in a top hat willing to put you in danger to get the puck.

Especially in D league.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

RC Cola posted:

Dang, you are really good! Is everyone nice and cool? And do you have beer after

Thanks! The skaters are always great, I've legit never ran into any folks being assholes at these pro skates even folks who have reputations. Beers are a huge no, not that I'd want one at noon on a weekday most of these guys have shakers ready right after to mix whatever concoctions their nutrition guy has for them.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok today is day 5 of skating in a row. I'll take tomorrow off and then its learn to play hockey week 2 on Sunday!

I'm excited for it, I think I've made some progress on my c-cuts in general, and I've gotten more comfortable on my left outside edge. My right outside edge still sucks, but I can find it sometimes. Going consistently is really helping. I've also been working on... I don't know what its called. So you're going backwards, and you need to transition to forwards? So I glide back on one foot, and turn the other foot 180 degrees and then kind of switch my weight to keep my momentum going?

My goal is to be a defenseman so that one seems important.

Anyways I can do it slowly and need to work up to a faster speed.

I'm also constantly working on backwards crossovers and I'm definately getting better at them in both directions. Its very fun, I might be better at backwards crossovers to the right than forward ones which is wild.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hey all. I have super weak grip strength. What are some good ways to strengthen it? I've done some dumbbell lifting to start working on it, but what else? I noticed when trying to sweep my stick one handed while playing defense that despite being able to be in the right place, I can't get the puck away since I have so little grip strength.

Also today is my day off of skating and week 2 of learn to play hockey ruled. Hockey rules

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to bulk up your grip/forearms you can either do finger hangs or get/make a wrist roller (essentially a weight you hang from a stick that you winch up and down with your hands).

But it's probably not necessary for stripping pucks, you don't need to be the hulk. Stab at the puck and if you make contact, mission accomplished because 99% of the time they're gonna lose control. If that's not good enough for whatever reason, you're never going to be able to out muscle them. They got two hands on their stick and you don't, you'll always have a disadvantage.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

If you want to bulk up your grip/forearms you can either do finger hangs or get/make a wrist roller (essentially a weight you hang from a stick that you winch up and down with your hands).

But it's probably not necessary for stripping pucks, you don't need to be the hulk. Stab at the puck and if you make contact, mission accomplished because 99% of the time they're gonna lose control. If that's not good enough for whatever reason, you're never going to be able to out muscle them. They got two hands on their stick and you don't, you'll always have a disadvantage.

Its more my grip strength is weak enough that it takes me about 2 seconds to move from right to left 180 degrees. Watching some of these basic hockey videos it seems like it should be much faster.

I was looking into the weight from the stick thing and couldn't find the name! Wrist roller thank you!

I think I will join a D league once I finish learn to play hockey in 4 weeks.

Sorry about posting updates

Edit: I've also never really worked out consistently, how often should I do exercises on the same muscles? Every other day?

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 23, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't worry about it. It's more technique than strength. I've been playing my whole life but I'd wager a lot of this thread is stronger physically than I am. I do weight lift but I'm only average in height/strength. I have a very good poke check and it's something I've worked on a lot. A lot of it comes down to timing and hitting the puck in the right spot to disrupt them. That's something I think that only comes with practice. Watch how some of the better defensemen in the NHL angle themselves for pokes and you'll pick up a lot. My poke check tends to be more of a sweep than a stab. A lot of it comes down to angling myself so that I can time the sweep with when they are trying to make a move in a particular direction.

I work out on average 3 times a week. I try to do more than that, but if I'm being honest, 3 is the average. I try to work different muscle groups each day. If I do manage to get a 4th in, I like to repeat my day 1 which is normally my upper body work. I've got a naturally strong lower body but upper body is something I want to get much stronger with so if I do get an extra day I like to focus there.

I will say that if you are going to exercise the same muscle groups multiple times a week, you probably should give it a few days between working the same groups of muscles. At least, that feels good to me.

I'm admittedly far from an expert on working out so take anything I say on weight lifting with a grain of salt and maybe check out the weightlifting forum for better tips there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just tape a bigger goalie knob on your stick (just kidding) and get sticky tape for the handle (maybe), You'll definitely go through gloves quicker though (100%).

If you want stronger hands, go start chopping wood. They'll be old-man strong in a few weeks but arthritic as well.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Best grip and wrist work out are 12 oz curls. Or if your team is fancy 16 oz curls.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Best grip and wrist work out are 12 oz curls. Or if your team is fancy 16 oz curls.

24oz curls

A company called Pabst creates this specialty equipment

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

24oz curls

A company called Pabst creates this specialty equipment

If you get European beers it's 11.2.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

RC Cola posted:

Its more my grip strength is weak enough that it takes me about 2 seconds to move from right to left 180 degrees. Watching some of these basic hockey videos it seems like it should be much faster.

Ginette Reno posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's more technique than strength.

It's basically why they teach take the body not the puck defensively for basically ever. Eventually the stick positioning and skill will come but if you simply get in the person's way it will disrupt the play more than swinging wildly with any kind of "technique" to one handedly steal the puck away. Leave your stick out in front of you, don't even worry about it, watch the attacker's chest, follow, and get in their way. Eventually you'll get your stick positioning down and you might break the puck up before contact happens and an opportunity for a loose puck may come your way. Obviously in most men's leagues and pickups you're not going to be making contact to blow the guy up, but the theory still applies. It really is just as simple as matching speed, and getting in their way and as you gain experience you'll start to break up plays before the getting in the way contact happens. So like unless you're knocking your own stick out of your hand trying to stick lift people you probably don't have to order the grip trainers ASAP.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just deadlift probably

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Big compound movements for strength - deadlift, squat, rows, pull-ups, etc.
Explosive movements for speed - sprints, box jumps, broad jumps, Olympic movements if you feel like hurting yourself.

Work out hard in the off season (beer league doesn’t have offseason so why work out!), maintenance during the season for injury prevention and rehab, speed work to always get faster, and intensity workouts when you have recovery time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HIIT, planks and lunges are all you need.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Or just don't do anything, let your ham strings get super tight and hope for a rookie of the year type moment of super human strength.

But more likely just injure yourself like I did.

The best thing you can do before you focus on strength training, learn how to create mobility in your joints and loosen large muscle groups. Especially your hips, hamstrings and lower back. You will feel infinitely less pain and tightness as you strengthen those areas. Us amateur athletes tend to only focus on the muscles we need for a thing which severely imbalances our bodies muscle groups and can create long term issues.

My physical therapist said my tight hips and ham strings exacerbated my herniated disc issues in my lower back. She said it was very common with athletes, especially hockey players, sprinters and cyclists. Sports where you do a lot of repeated, high intensity leg focused activity but not a lot of flexible open movement. Strengthening my glutes and core really helped out, as did focusing on hip and lumbar mobility. It kept me away from surgery for the time being.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Hockey is my workout, I do it twice a week on average.

Much better than not exercising at all, which I did for the first 25 years.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The learn to play hockey coach said I'm one of the best skaters in the class and I should sign up for a D league :toot: that made me feel good.

I had a play that felt good in our scrimmage. Just along the boards in our zone as a defenseman I played the puck off the boards to burn 1 of their guys, then went between the legs of a second guy and made a tape to tape pass for a nice assist! It felt good

Edit: also thanks for the workout tips. I need to be stretching more before skating or playing. I pulled groin last year playing soccer and it still brothers me

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
5 goals in 3 games, including a hattie last night. Time to retire on top.