Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The stitching is falling out on my skates, I'm almost at the point where I might as well put that $50 into new skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh god. XZZY needs new skates.

Winter is coming.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but I'm 5% less dumb now so you should see less bitching this time.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Verman posted:

Oh god. XZZY needs new skates.

Winter is coming.

I'm new here, please explain.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

johncho posted:

I'm new here, please explain.

Xzzy has some sort of weird mutant feet and it took him forever and a billion posts to get skates he was comfortable with.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The stitching is falling out on my skates, I'm almost at the point where I might as well put that $50 into new skates.

I need a new bag but keep forgetting to order one. Mine is starting to have holes in it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Same.

Ginette Reno posted:

I need a new bag but keep forgetting to order one. Mine is starting to have holes in it.

Same.

I have 2 skate pouches on the side of my current bag. One completely ripped off, and the other's zipper doesn't work. The 2 zippers to my main compartment don't work, so it doesn't zip shut. I have a massive hole on the side of the main compartment. If I put gloves/elbows near it, they always fall out, so I have to place my gear in there in a certain order and location. The side pockets don't zip any more, so my poo poo constantly falls out when I pick it up and throw it on my shoulder. The shoulder strap anchors ripped off after like 3 weeks of using it.

gently caress Tackla bags.

I've been eyeing one of those Pacific Rink bags, but man, $180. On the other hand, I've always bought $60 bags and they suck.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Used to have a an Old Cooper bag with compartments which served me well. It finally fell apart, so I got a Warrior bag with only inner compartments.
I love the material that it's made with, and I think it will last me a fair bit, but kinda miss the organization.

I do recommend the Warrior Bag if you could live without the external divisions, but I myself would consider that Pacific Rink bag once this one goes or something similar to it.

EDIT: Welp nvm, the Pacific Rink bag only has internal compartments.

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 20, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Look for pro bags. They are bombproof and made to travel and last. I was lucky to have one given to me by my brother in law. My old bag was a cheap ccm junker where the inside started peeling, the zipper sucked and it eventually started developing holes after 2 years of use.

The pro bag only has 2 large internal pockets (one on each end) but everything fits easily and it has lasted me 6+ years of constant use even after the 2 AHL seasons my brother in law played with the Pirates.

They're not cheap if you find them but I would have no problem spending $100 on a bag that is easily going to last me more than a decade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can order tough canvas bags from businesses that supply college sports too. They're also a step above what you get in the stores.

Still probably going to be a three digit price though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Discount Easton Makos, 100% worth it.

In other news, got those weird Marsblade roller chassis installed on my old Vapor X7.0 boots and took them out for a spin the first time today since roller season starts Saturday and I havent touched the floor since last May.

Trip report, they are really good, after about 10 minutes of getting used to it I'm transitioning and skating a lot more like I do on the ice, and it feels completely natural.

Also I was the only one on the floor for over an hour so I played around with my phone on slow-mo

https://streamable.com/32b3e
https://streamable.com/elo3j

D C fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 20, 2017

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I was looking at my skates to find the size so I could order some of the Superfeet insoles. drat tag with the size is either ripped off or worn away so I have no clue what size they are. Is there any hidden spot to look? I know I'm right in between the two different sizes for Superfeet, either a 11 or 11.5.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WTF, I just noticed that the Pacific Rink bags got the price jacked up to $199. They used to be $180. I guess the demand was massive.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

WTF, I just noticed that the Pacific Rink bags got the price jacked up to $199. They used to be $180. I guess the demand was massive.

sweet jesus that shot up. My girlfriend got me one of the big bags for my birthday last year after the zipper on my old bag completely exploded and I think it was still like ~$140 at the time.
The bag loving owns (i mean, as much as a bag can, I guess) but yeah I dunno if it $200 owns. I wonder if demand increased or they changed/upgraded something in it since I got mine.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Do fenders take getting used to? I'm been thinking about getting a pair since I've shifted back to defense.

The first handful of times wearing them? Yes. Like making sure the velcro straps aren't snagging under your edge, or that tiny bit of clearance on the crossover you thought you had before. Both of them together are the weight of an empty water bottle, you'll notice the weight but just as much as having a big lunch without a pre-game poop would.

But being able to take an upper league slapper to the ankles and not feel nearly as much pain (a laserbeam dead-on shot will still hurt, but you won't collapse into a shitheap) is worth the 80 bucks. As a teammate the other day said, "It sounded like someone slammed a toy truck on the ground".

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

D C posted:

Discount Easton Makos, 100% worth it.

In other news, got those weird Marsblade roller chassis installed on my old Vapor X7.0 boots and took them out for a spin the first time today since roller season starts Saturday and I havent touched the floor since last May.

Trip report, they are really good, after about 10 minutes of getting used to it I'm transitioning and skating a lot more like I do on the ice, and it feels completely natural.

Also I was the only one on the floor for over an hour so I played around with my phone on slow-mo

https://streamable.com/32b3e
https://streamable.com/elo3j

Those are neat

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I'm still using the same bag my dad bought me when I first started learn to skate and the only thing that's broken is the large over the shoulder strap, but the smaller handles fit over my shoulder so it's not too bad. Is there really that much of an advantage with the fancy new bags that would make upgrading worth it?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I much prefer the handles anyway as they usually fit onto your shoulder anyway and they're much sturdier. The only reason to upgrade your bag would be if your current one is falling apart. Nice bags just seem to last longer and thats the only real purpose of a bag is to carry your poo poo without destroying itself and not needing to be replaced every year or so.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
I've only got a new bag when the main zipper breaks or a skate punches a large hole through the side. I bought 3 in a 5 year span and now I use a softball equipment bag for the past 5 years with no signs of failure

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

V for Vegans posted:

I'm still using the same bag my dad bought me when I first started learn to skate and the only thing that's broken is the large over the shoulder strap, but the smaller handles fit over my shoulder so it's not too bad. Is there really that much of an advantage with the fancy new bags that would make upgrading worth it?

Nah probably not. The bells and whistles are nice and all, but I never would have gotten this bag if it wasn't a gift, cause I mean... A bag is a bag is a bag. :shrug:

Though I'm pretty sure in this day and age companies who make the interiors pure black are just doing it to be dicks at this point.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
So I got my skates back, my next time out is on Tuesday night, so I'll see if punching the boot worked.

I put it on just to see and it certainly feels much better standing up, but when I load up one side, my right skate feels no pain, whereas the left side I can still feel it a little bit, almost as if the boot punch was a bit high. But again, much better than before.

I'm going to wait until I skate to see, but has anyone gotten two punches near each other? Is that even a possibility? I truly think it will work itself out, but was just wondering.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Congratulations to xzzy's beer league team on getting their first win of the summer in game one. You're not the worst team :toot:! The other teams goaltender played a weird style, some sort of attempt at playing the butterfly from the standup that just wasn't working at all.

My Co-Ed team got That Guy'd, by like three That Guys with an official score of 10-3. They downshifted mid second period and were still slicing through our team while going coast to coast. It actually got to the point where one of them switched handedness. I wouldn't bitch about this because we actually did play the game like crap, but when people are going to their non-dominant hand to handicap themselves they're playing way below their level.

The real problem is that this league is functionally D4. It's a small bit lower skill than the D3 leagues for the most part but has pretty much every level of the local women's team (many of which are brand new players).

xzzy, you saw the end of our game, did it look like they weren't even trying at that point?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually only saw a couple minutes of your game, when it was 7-1, and not really enough to get a feel for what was going on. I chatted Keith briefly though, sounds like you got pit against a team that showed up way overloaded.

No comments on my own game, I played like poop. Never really paid attention to the opposing goalie really, though everyone on my bench said pretty much the same thing you did. I got put on defense and wasn't really comfortable at all, it's harder to conceal my lovely skating. :angel:

I'll sure as heck take a win though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bit the bullet, going to see An Actual Doctor (tm) about my arm. I can't pick up a keyboard without pain shooting up it.

Feels bad.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I love skating on Magness ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I developed knee pain last week, no injury, it just hurt when going up stairs. Was nervous about skating on it but playing yesterday actually made it feel a bit better. Hockey cures all!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I developed knee pain last week, no injury, it just hurt when going up stairs. Was nervous about skating on it but playing yesterday actually made it feel a bit better. Hockey cures all!

Adrenaline is a hell of a thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think it's been a few years since I've had hockey induced adrenaline.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pain supressing qualities of adrenaline probably wouldn't last 12+ hours either.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I think it's been a few years since I've had hockey induced adrenaline.

Skate harder fatty

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lol not the best chirp to choose

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So my tax return just came in and I'm looking to upgrade some of my shittiest hockey gear. Is there any opinion out there on pants? Mine are currently falling apart so I definitely need to upgrade them. How do you guys feel about girdles compared to regular pants? And do pants come with the skate lace tied around them now or is that something most people add later?

I'm also looking for new shinpads since mine seem to still leave bruises on my knees when I block shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought a girdle last year and it's been fine, but I wouldn't buy them again. Too much velcro. Comfy when you got them on though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Its hard to say without trying that stuff on in person.

I really like the Easton pants I picked up a few years back, they seemed protective without feeling too bulky, they fit me well and were what I wanted to pay (less than $100).

Reebok shinguards have always been my favorite but they are no more (bought by CCM) so they are no longer available. I prefer shinguards with removable foam liners that way you can wash them once in a while. It looks like that is a normal feature in most shinguards nowadays.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
The Tacks protective is supposed to be the successor to the old Reebok line, but I don't know how true that is beyond the pants (my 4752's were essentially identical to my 16k's).

Hockey Monkey still has the 16k shinpads in stock, which I have myself and haven't felt a thing when I stand in front of stuff like an idiot.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've been wearing a girdle for at least the last 15 years, so I'm probably biased, but I like them quite a bit.

My current one is a Bauer model from a few years ago. I have a newer Bauer shell as well, which did come with the hockey lace. As xzzy said there's a lot of velcro, but I generally just put them on like regular pants once I have my fit dialed in. The biggest complaint I've heard from people about girdles is due to having a tighter fit, they can trap heat, although I've never personally found this to be an issue.

The pros for me are a more secure feeling and fit, and a better feeling of mobility. Now granted, I haven't worn traditional hockey pants in over a decade, but I'm sure these issues have been addressed in traditional pants to a degree. The unfortunate part about girdles is they've fallen out of favor in the last few years, so the options are slim. If you have a hockey shop nearby, I'd try a pair on if they have them, as well as traditional pants too.
Hope this helps at all.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just as a contrasting opinion: I bought an APX girdle and hated it. Much preferred the fit of traditional hockey pants.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

As an aside, I wish Hespeler was still around. I had Classic Lite shinpads until they fell apart beyond repair. Loved those things.

Oh and Mega Air90 skates, those too.

Wonder_Bread posted:

Hockey Monkey still has the 16k shinpads in stock, which I have myself and haven't felt a thing when I stand in front of stuff like an idiot.
I need some longer, tank-line shins so I just ordered these.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 24, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

shyduck posted:

As an aside, I wish Hespeler was still around. I had Classic Lite shinpads until they fell apart beyond repair. Loved those things.

Oh and Mega Air90 skates, those too.
I need some longer, tank-line shins so I just ordered these.

I really like the ccm quicklite shinpads that I use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Just as a contrasting opinion: I bought an APX girdle and hated it. Much preferred the fit of traditional hockey pants.

What about them were bad? Did they just feel weird to you?