Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

Way away from the play. No refs in the parking lot.

This is a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But you don't implicitly agree to being murdered standing in the parking lot. On the ice it's all good.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

But you don't implicitly agree to being murdered standing in the parking lot. On the ice it's all good.

Most new mid-high range gear sold in the US should have a holster for concealed carry. Remember, in front of the net is "your house" and in the US you can use lethal force defending it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I'm browsing the league site and I'm seriously considering "35 and over" league. I...can't keep up with the college kids anymore.

End, era, etc.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

God drat it the Adult Skills Clinic got cancelled due to "lack of interest". Out of 24 spots, only 16 filled. Guess I'll just get back in the gym instead, gently caress this league, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Summer is dead time for hockey, no one wants to pay X-hundred bucks for a season of ice slots when they'll miss a third of them from vacation or whatever.

You could try to get into that hockey summer camp up in northern minnesota. :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I blew my wad doing a week long clinic last year. I don't have the money this year.

It was 1 night a week starting at 7:00PM. You can't tell me that somebody is going to be vacationing for 3 weeks in the middle of lessons!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So what is Bauer's business model at this point? They just do a facelift and re-release the same poo poo every year for a 5% markup?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well they're perpetually on the verge of bankruptcy so they probably don't have much to spend on R&D.

So, what you said.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DeNofa posted:

So what is Bauer's business model at this point? They just do a facelift and re-release the same poo poo every year for a 5% markup?

"at this point", it has been more or less like that since I started skating in like 1986.

The only major changes to player gear since that time are aluminum sticks and then composite sticks, and composite boots. And shoulder pads have gotten over the top ludicrous stupid but that isn't a technology thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

god bless them for those composite boots though

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

sellouts posted:

god bless them for those composite boots though

I have VH skates and recently picked up a pair of 1X goalie skates to try out simply because the composite boots are so shockingly light. (Full discloser my VH boots have older Bauer goalie cowlings thus more steel/weight + the external protection.) I'm already getting a sense of the obvious in that they dont fit as well as a custom boot, big shocker.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

goalies vacate, etc etc, but yeah I came from a pair of total ones from eBay that were custom sized and 1/4th too small on both feet... so a proper fitting pair of 1S stock skates feel like house slippers. I would like to do custom ones but it cuts into my "ridiculous sale on eBay" that I spend 9+ months searching for

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Vargatron posted:

God drat it the Adult Skills Clinic got cancelled due to "lack of interest". Out of 24 spots, only 16 filled. Guess I'll just get back in the gym instead, gently caress this league, etc.

How is that lack of interest?? poo poo, that's a good sized class!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a transitional pair of plastic/leather skates that were also thermoformable (I think they were the 8090s?) in between my early 90s skates and my Total Ones so I didn't get to experience the wonder and amazement that was a 20 year leap in skate technology.

I really, really like the APX2s and they're not showing a hint of wear after 3 or so years so maybe they'll last me until some sort of magical future invisible negative weight magnet skate takes over the market when i'm 55.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

topenga posted:

How is that lack of interest?? poo poo, that's a good sized class!

That's what happens when your rink is ran by the county.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had a game last night.

We were down 1-0 going into the 3rd period. I was playing center and coming out of the D zone. I fed my left winger and outlet pass on the left boards. He skates up a few strides and an opponent approaches him at the boards. He chips it off the boards around the opponent and I pick the puck up around the red line along the boards. I cut in towards the center, deke their D man and come in on net. As a lefty shot, I am skating in from left to right and fake to my backhand to get the goalie to move right. As he pushes off, I put it to my forehand and go left side top shelf as I drift on by.

I'll be damned if that didn't feel like one of the better goals I've scored in a while.

But given that its still our dumpster fire of a team, we took a lot of stupid penalties, and our wingers somehow forgot what lines they were on and it was 2 minutes left in the 3rd period ... faceoff in our D zone. We look up and realize we only have 4 guys on the ice. They pressure our team hard and before we can even get a 5th guy on the ice they knock in a lovely garbage goal and we lose the game.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

Had a game last night.

But given that its still our dumpster fire of a team, we took a lot of stupid penalties, and our wingers somehow forgot what lines they were on and it was 2 minutes left in the 3rd period ... faceoff in our D zone. We look up and realize we only have 4 guys on the ice. They pressure our team hard and before we can even get a 5th guy on the ice they knock in a lovely garbage goal and we lose the game.

I saw on FB that one of the penalties against your team was called wrong. Ref supposedly went to the player later saying "oops, i got the wrong guy/team". I cant imagine a ref coming clean like that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah that was really weird.

I was on the ice when the call was made but wasn't paying attention to the play as it was behind me. The guy on our team that got the penalty was subbing and typically a goalie. He got pretty heated and was trying to talk sense into the ref. At the end of the game the ref skated over and was like, "hey man, I got the call wrong, it was supposed to be the other team in the box, not you. My bad".

Half of our team was in the box at some point. Literally 7/14 players served a penalty.

Where did you see that posted? I looked on the GSHL fb page and didn't see anything.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vargatron posted:

That's what happens when your rink is ran by the county.

My rink is run by the Chicago Park District and 25 people max can sign up for lessons, but any given week it's 1-6 people.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
It took 3 days for my ribs to start to hurt from Monday's collision and fall, but now it hurts when I take a deep breath or laugh. :smith:

This week is the last of the Spring schedule, so next week my ice time is being reduced to free skate on Mondays, where I also have to deal with figure skaters, and Rat Hockey on Tuesdays, all the way until September.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tips from the Thunderdome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdEV8KasDHs

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Hey xzzy, how'd I look tonight? (excluding game one, that was bad and it took most of the game for me to get landmarks down)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

So I'm browsing the league site and I'm seriously considering "35 and over" league. I...can't keep up with the college kids anymore.

End, era, etc.

I played a few games with my first "30 and over" league this winter and man it felt so good to be the young fast kids again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Hey xzzy, how'd I look tonight? (excluding game one, that was bad and it took most of the game for me to get landmarks down)

Couldn't give a good answer at all! I'm generally too busy sucking wind to study much of anything.

So uh, you looked spectacular? Any goalie that survives that chaos is probably doing fine.

I'm up to four games in the past two days, played three on Saturday. Got the last one of the weekend in a few hours. :downs:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Couldn't give a good answer at all! I'm generally too busy sucking wind to study much of anything.

So uh, you looked spectacular? Any goalie that survives that chaos is probably doing fine.

I'm up to four games in the past two days, played three on Saturday. Got the last one of the weekend in a few hours. :downs:

I may have been the only goalie left able to stand up after going down.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Six hockey games in 32 hours and boy is my everything tired. That was fun as hell minus a dude I know also in the tournament puking in the back of my car
:thumbsup:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Ugh tweaked my hip flexor/groin sprinting on bad ice in a 6-3 losing effort. At one point you could see about 8 inches of fog over the ice.

I take comfort in the only goal against scored while I was on the ice was a 2-on-1 where I tried to cover the pass and the guy just shot it and scored. In retrospect I might have had more luck slamming on the brakes and getting in his face.

I'm like the epitome of defensive defenseman and I really need to try to carry the puck more. Last night there were so many times when I just stupidly tried to fling it around the boards because I didn't have a pass target when I probably would have had more luck carrying it out and up. Still lack confidence in my puck control.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Played a group that showed up with no goalie and delayed puck drop by almost 15 minutes to wait for a goalie from a game on the other rink to free up. They used their timeout, that somehow lasted for 3 minutes, and managed to not start the game with a penalty. :iiam:

I thought SOP was to put a 6th skater on the ice but I guess when the refs are your best buds you can do what you want.

Then they got super bitchy when we actually started winning, choice quote of the night was "I will loving murder you" from some old gently caress that has "fossil" printed on the back of his jersey. Which is actually kind of funny but only if you're a cool old dude, not some angry as gently caress agenda of rage old dude.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

z0331 posted:

Ugh tweaked my hip flexor/groin sprinting on bad ice in a 6-3 losing effort. At one point you could see about 8 inches of fog over the ice.

I take comfort in the only goal against scored while I was on the ice was a 2-on-1 where I tried to cover the pass and the guy just shot it and scored. In retrospect I might have had more luck slamming on the brakes and getting in his face.

I'm like the epitome of defensive defenseman and I really need to try to carry the puck more. Last night there were so many times when I just stupidly tried to fling it around the boards because I didn't have a pass target when I probably would have had more luck carrying it out and up. Still lack confidence in my puck control.

One of the things that drives me nuts as a foreword are d-men blindly firing the puck around the boards. They usually have 2-3 seconds at least to take a peek and check to see what to do. Multiple times I'm covering my guy and already heading to the boards to get a board pass and move it out the zone only for our D to meekly fire it the opposite direction where the other forward is out of position. Cue pickup by their defensemen and another minute in our own zone.

I get it when you're pressured and have no time but I'm specifically talking about times where nobody is forechecking hard. If you don't have a pass target carry for a few feet and one should open up or at least their D will back up and you can clear it up the boards with a diagonal chip. Or you can just go for a skate out the zone, get to centre and dump it for a change.

Also for the love of god don't play again until your groin is fine. Take it from me you'll turn 1-2 weeks of healing into over a month if you play on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Defense flings the puck around the boards because the wingers are literally never where they're supposed to be to start a breakout and they've been stuck on the ice for three minutes in the defensive zone.

The only hope the defense has for getting off the ice is the goalie freezes, or they ice the puck.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

Defense flings the puck around the boards because the wingers are literally never where they're supposed to be to start a breakout and they've been stuck on the ice for three minutes in the defensive zone.

The only hope the defense has for getting off the ice is the goalie freezes, or they ice the puck.

Oh I get why they do it but I've had shifts where they clear to the opposite wing three times in a row where the winger isn't so they're dog tired by the end.

Then, eventually, they get on the bench they poo poo on the forwards for not being in position. Problem is, one of us was, if you took a moment to look, you would've seen it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

This was more or less, at least from where I was standing, what was going on. The team we were playing had a pretty aggressive forecheck and the whole team was collapsing around the net a lot.

But, that said, I probably had more time than I felt like I did, and should have tried skating it out more. Our breakout has been poo poo recently with the wingers getting caught super low a lot. On the plus side, I've generally been playing with the same D partner and we've got some chemistry going. We're getting pretty good at d-to-d passes, which really helps open things up.

And yeah I have three weeks off until our next game, so time to heal. I have some practices, but it's a lot easier to go light for those so I'm not as worried about making it much worse.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Today was the first day of the Summer schedule, which means adult skate is now once a week (Mondays) and we have to share it with figure skaters. When I got there, the rink was 90% figure skaters and they definitely acted like they owned the place. Aside from them changing our normal adult skate music from Classic Rock to Euro Pop and/or whatever waltzy schmaltzy routine music they had, their basic mantra was "I'm going to skate in whatever direction I want in whatever part of the ice I want at whatever speed I want, and because I look more poised and confident than you when I do it, it's your fault if we almost collide." Fortunately, most of the figure skaters left after the first hour and the ice opened up, so I think I'll just show up for adult skate a half-hour later than I usually do from now on.

My ribs are killing me and it feels like it's gotten worse every day since the collision in rat hockey a week ago. Rib injuries take months to heal and there's no way I'm gonna take the Summer off from skating, so I'm just gonna play through it and try to be careful. I can skate just fine, but I hope it doesn't affect my shot tomorrow.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

z0331 posted:

This was more or less, at least from where I was standing, what was going on. The team we were playing had a pretty aggressive forecheck and the whole team was collapsing around the net a lot.

But, that said, I probably had more time than I felt like I did, and should have tried skating it out more. Our breakout has been poo poo recently with the wingers getting caught super low a lot. On the plus side, I've generally been playing with the same D partner and we've got some chemistry going. We're getting pretty good at d-to-d passes, which really helps open things up.

This is something that happens with us a fair bit. The Wingers don't trust the D at all because we've got some guys who honestly should still be at stick n' puck so they come down real low to help out, but then the other team just gets free shots from the blue line on net all day. Say what you want about beer league slappers, they're going in or they're getting rebounds that are going in.

Probably just beerleague.txt

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My ribs are killing me and it feels like it's gotten worse every day since the collision in rat hockey a week ago. Rib injuries take months to heal and there's no way I'm gonna take the Summer off from skating, so I'm just gonna play through it and try to be careful. I can skate just fine, but I hope it doesn't affect my shot tomorrow.

Welp, so much for this. I woke up today in agony. Sneezing or coughing is extremely painful, so I'll be taking this week's Rat Hockey game off. Sucks that my :10bux: is going down the drain, but at least the rink can use it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Welp, so much for this. I woke up today in agony. Sneezing or coughing is extremely painful, so I'll be taking this week's Rat Hockey game off. Sucks that my :10bux: is going down the drain, but at least the rink can use it.

Listen to what you're body is telling you. Taking a few weeks off to heal is better than being injured for months.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

z0331 posted:

If you slammed on your brakes to challenge the puck carrier he probably would have just passed it over to the now open guy and he would have scored. The only things I've ever been taught about 2 on 1's is one: to use positioning between the two people as much as you can to try and delay the play as long as possible in hopes of help and two: goalie gets the shooter. Sounds like you did pretty much what you are supposed to do in that situation.

doctor 7 posted:

Oh I get why they do it but I've had shifts where they clear to the opposite wing three times in a row where the winger isn't so they're dog tired by the end.

Then, eventually, they get on the bench they poo poo on the forwards for not being in position. Problem is, one of us was, if you took a moment to look, you would've seen it.
I hate that so much. Look up, nobody open on that side of the ice, fling it up that side of the boards anyway, repeat, repeat. If it doesn't work 2 times in a row why keep slapping the puck into the same pile of bodies a third time?

dogstile posted:

This is something that happens with us a fair bit. The Wingers don't trust the D at all because we've got some guys who honestly should still be at stick n' puck so they come down real low to help out, but then the other team just gets free shots from the blue line on net all day. Say what you want about beer league slappers, they're going in or they're getting rebounds that are going in.

Probably just beerleague.txt
If you have a pretty capable center have him play the points. It isn't ideal but it at least leaves 1 guy high for potentially catching a breakout pass off a turnover down low or something.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

bigbillystyle posted:

If you slammed on your brakes to challenge the puck carrier he probably would have just passed it over to the now open guy and he would have scored. The only things I've ever been taught about 2 on 1's is one: to use positioning between the two people as much as you can to try and delay the play as long as possible in hopes of help and two: goalie gets the shooter. Sounds like you did pretty much what you are supposed to do in that situation.

I think I basically played it the way you're supposed to, so eh. Only reason I was thinking that is because at this level it was probably less likely he'd get a solid pass off and that the other guy could get an accurate shot off versus him just getting the clear shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Found out all of our summer league games are on Tuesdays, between 730 and 930, at the same arena every week. The hockey gods giveth.

Had a game last night, played D. Had some good plays, had some bad ones as I just felt generally tired all game.

Our team still struggles with line changes (mostly the wings). Any sort of futz in the system like a player showing up late or a penalty kill really throws a stick in the gears. People get confused as to who they follow, they don't change properly (when the play is coming into our zone), they don't sit on the bench properly (next line is closest to the opponents net. We have players who don't hop the boards and insist on using the door both ways, but they don't let oncoming players use the door first so we have a clusterfuck of traffic every time.

If I made a heatmap of their positioning on the ice, the empty spots would literally be the ideal positioning for breakout passes and defensive backchecking.

We had several instances last night of a 2 on 1 break into the offensive zone. LW and RW were literally bumping into one another on the left boards going over the blue line. The D man was at the hash marks to the side of the faceoff circle in front of the goalie. There was no reason for them running up each others asses other than for the smell of it. If they had spread out, they could have created a shoot/pass scenario but instead the guy with the puck shoots it from just inside the blue line, missing the net completely and generating zero offensive pressure. The puck instantly came back the opposite direction.

The other problem is our forwards are usually either too high in the defensive zone (behind the opposing D trying to get sprung for a breakaway leaving the points wide open) or too low (down deep in our defensive corners and chasing the puck wherever it goes leaving the points wide open). Then when we actually get posession, they are standing still flat footed with pressure from the other team.

We went up 2-1 going into the 3rd by some stroke of luck. They tied the game and then rang in another with 2 minutes left. We just couldn't get our poo poo together to save the game. The hockey gods taketh away.