Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Tonight, tomorrow, and probably for another game in the future, is officially bad beer night at hockey:

Coors
Keystone Lite
Natty Ice
Corona
Heineken (Couldn't find a can 6'er of Becks)
Penn's Best NA
Busch Lite
Lone Star
Bud Lite
Molson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a game tonight and my legs are still sore from hiking on sunday.

This will be fun. By fun I mean painful and I will likely have zero energy at the start of the game.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Bootcha posted:

Tonight, tomorrow, and probably for another game in the future, is officially bad beer night at hockey:

Coors
Keystone Lite
Natty Ice
Corona
Penn's Best NA
Busch Lite
Lone Star
Bud Lite
Molson

Are you taking a poll for worst or are you bringing some of each one each night? If it is a poll I vote Natty Ice though all of those are strangely equal. If you're bringing some of each to each game, that is just serious commitment, nicely done.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

Kent always seems to be the worst. Maybe it's the windows and the glass on the one end. A/o the lovely Zamboni & driver. Last year we had a game where our goalie went to play the puck, the puck didnt move off the ice and the opposing team player was forechecking and picked up the stuck puck and put it in the empty net with ease. If I recall correctly, We lost 1-0.

Also, here's an ankle update. It's been 8 weeks since I broke my ankle. Was in a splint for 2 weeks before surgery, 2 weeks again after surgery. Then another 2 weeks of 0% weight bearing, the last 2 weeks started PT and am about 75% weight bearing and should be 100% within the next week. Use a walking boot when out & about but not at home which is ok. Hope to get back on the ice in early August at open ice, then September to some pickup hockey and then league play for when winter season starts in October.

Yeah there was a weird "texture" to the ice I've never seen there before and it made my already lovely stickhandling skillllllz even that much worse. I'm used to the window starting to melt that bit of the ice (I went sliding through it on my rear end - it was soaked for the rest of the game hah) but the foggy, stippled, weird lightly bumpy poo poo was new.

Glad to hear your ankle is healing up though. I had a couple buddies in the class and they said that it was Not Good. :ohdear: I'll hit up some stick n pucks with you in August or something when you're cleared to get going again.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bootcha posted:

Coors
Keystone Lite
Natty Ice
Corona
Penn's Best NA
Busch Lite
Lone Star
Bud Lite
Molson
If you can find it, Mountain Crest. We did a similar thing and holy crap is it terrible. Like even the dude who just turned 21 and thought Killens was good thought it was terrible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would just toss in some Kirkland signature at 50 cents per can.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
That's what I would always bring but I haven't found it in like a year do they still make it??

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Where's my Miller High Life?

Also, for two straight pickup games people have asked me what C league team I play for. I guess I've been doing something right the past couple of weeks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

People in California really hated when I brought Tecate to games but I think it tastes fine for a cheap piss lager and I could buy it cold at the 7-11 right before the game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We have 4 skaters tomorrow. Cool. Only 2 under our seasonal average.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We have 4 skaters tomorrow. Cool. Only 2 under our seasonal average.

Should have smuggled me back with you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't care what beer I drink after a game because I can't taste it due to being so goddamn tired.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chemmy posted:

People in California really hated when I brought Tecate to games but I think it tastes fine for a cheap piss lager and I could buy it cold at the 7-11 right before the game.

People have no right to complain about free beer. :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hockles posted:

You would want no part of this team. There's 5 guys from my Monday team, who are the only ones to show up every week. The rest of the team are fire fighters. The rink lets us roster an extra 4 skaters due to this. Even with 17 fire guys, we get.... maybe 3 of them to show up each week. It's awful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Firefighters are a great way to bring down the cost of playing. You get 6 of them to pay to be on the team and they never show up. Should bring you to that perfect 10 skaters territory.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'd be pleased as punch to have 10.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just means you have too much firefighter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A thing the refs let us do in a tournament a couple weeks ago:

http://i.imgur.com/H365hOZ.gifv

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So you have to get back to the net after taking the faceoff?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, both goalies high tailed it back to safety. White team got the shot off, purple goalie gloved it ten seconds later.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Heh heh. Bayern Munich (iirc) used to have a goalie who would take some of their free kicks because he had such a monstrous shot. Then, immediately after striking the ball, he would dash desperately back to his own net. I guess they figured the trade-off was worth it.

e: think I'm talking about Oliver Kahn

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

Hey if you want some ice time, our Monday night drop ins for D5 have been pretty thin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Me on a typical Wednesday night.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got the opposite problem, we have four full lines for every game.

I call it a problem because I get to a pickup game, there's two lines and I'm used to not getting that much ice. Huffing and Puffing by the fourth shift.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

4 lines is awful and miserable

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The past two pickup games we've had 6 skates and one goalie, so we had to play iron man half ice 3 on 3. It actually wasn't that bad because I got to see a lot of shots, but we had to take a break every 20 minutes because we're all olds.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I'm not even sure my rink's benches would fit four lines unless there were only like, 2 D.

Did a scrimmage last night where I had one absolutely perfect, this-happens-once-a-year centering pass through traffic, one really good centering pass, and one pretty good centering pass, and the recipient couldn't do anything with any of them. :mad:

Also, scrimmaging with people in an instructional who've never played a full game is kind of hilarious. We would just replace whoever came off, so you had to shout your position - which took long enough for some to get - and I swear there was more than once where two "centers" in a row got off.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hockey monkey big sale this weekend, stock up on your 110 flex left hand sticks with lidstrom curves while you can!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

z0331 posted:

I'm not even sure my rink's benches would fit four lines unless there were only like, 2 D.

Yeah the way we run it is that whoever is the next line on stands, everyone else sits. We also shout at people who are standing and not sitting if they've just gotten off.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I was using the biggest duffel I owned to carry my gear, but it wasn't big enough to hold my shoulderpads or pants, so yesterday I got one of those giant canvas army surplus bags and the thing is an absolute beast. I fit everything inside with a ton of room to spare and it could easily fit a goalie's gear. I'm feeling pretty smart about my purchase, as it cost me about 1/12th of what a hockey bag would at my local shop.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We've got set lines, but that always gets hosed up due to penalty kills. I usually volunteer to sit during the PK since I'm terrible, but the team captain will tell me to double shift to make up for the icetime.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

4 lines is awful and miserable

As a defenseman I don't care how many forwards we have but anything more than 4 d is poo poo because beer league d are awful about not taking long shifts.

3d is kinda miserable though and of course that's happening a lot this season in A league where I have to deal with ex pros. I'm too oldfat for this poo poo. On the plus side I think we might be getting such a player soon too and he's a defenseman so I can hopefully play the Olli Maatta to his Kris Letang :toot:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
4 D is ideal for beer league. No more, no less.

2 forward lines are nice for ice time but can be brutal if the pace is high. I really like 3 forward lines when people hustle and take reasonable shifts (1-2 minutes tops) but we all know thats about as mythical as a clean wet fart.

Our team still gets hosed every time we get a penalty. Nobody knows how to roll the lines/forwards and we always have too many guys or we're skating short until we realize it, then the lines are screwed up until the next whistle/period.

Also, holy poo poo my team literally had to walk people through how to sit on the bench, and enter/exit the ice. Here I was trying to bring up basic defensive zone positioning but holy poo poo we're still trying to figure out a goddam door.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We did 6 forwards 5 D in our last game and it actually worked really well. There's just something about two forward lines where dudes click and play a good game.

I was sketchy about playing with 5 D at first but it was a good crew that were religious about skating 45 seconds and getting off. poo poo just worked and we stonewalled the opposing forwards because we always had good legs.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
5D is great if everyone can play both Left and Right.
Whomever is the closest side to the bench is the next to switch, and whoever comes on takes the furthest side, as the far D then transitions to the close side.

Then once you get comfortable with that, the next guy to switch is the guy who pinches/skates up/Subbans it, and the guy who just came on plays conservative/cover, or the reverse if you guys are young.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our 2 D played the whole game last night due to having 6 whole skaters.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pfft, if you don't play in a league that mandates 16 skaters and a goalie you're doing it wrong.

We have 17 and a goalie, and probably are moving up to 19 this upcoming season. Those nights where everyone shows up will be fun.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I can't even visualize that many people on the bench at once.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

Those nights where everyone shows up will be fun.

What's that like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There have been times in seasons past where we've had three lines of forwards and 4 d. That's about the most I've seen. Very rarely we'd do 5d, but it usually doesn't work well because it's beer league and people take long rear end shifts. But yeah most of the time it's a struggle to get more than 10 or maybe 11 so such concerns tend to be academic.

Second periods with long change and 3d is the worst. Get gassed but can't get off.