Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No official mercy rule at my rink, but if the refs deem it out of hand, sometimes they'll ask both teams if they want to do a running clock. Even if my team is getting shellacked, I always say gently caress no, I want my money's worth.

I've only seen this happen like once every calendar year or so, so it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

sellouts posted:

How does this work? As soon as it hits 10 it’s over, even if it’s first period?
Yep. The first time happened midway through the 2nd period. We got to just dick around for the rest of the session. It's a fairly recent policy I think

Existing policy was running clock in the 3rd period when theres a 7 goal differential, but this supplements it. Nobody likes it

xzzy posted:

Getting kicked off the ice you paid for would have me bitching to the commissioner real quick. You don't get to demand thousands of dollars for a team and then shortchange them because they bad.

(maybe give them more ice with a printout of drills to practice)
The commisioner has solved this problem by just not answering his email. Great league we have now! We're looking to switch rinks.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 30, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only issue I see with keeping the game going is that dudes give up. They know they gonna lose and the compete is completely gone.

I'm sure I do it too, though in my head I'm telling myself to treat each shift like a new game and try to accomplish something positive. Eventually it will actually happen!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My commissioner owns so much that he gives beer certificates to the winning team (2x) and the losing team (1x) where you can get some free pitchers of beer from the bar after the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It wouldn't be as much of an issue if the commish didn't make the absolutely terrible decision to combine A and B. It's a staggering disparity and my team isn't the only victim of it. I just don't know how it's fun for anybody.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

If you get mercy ruled just mix the teams and do a scrimmage. No sense in wasting ice time.

Officials won’t stay and league’s insurance won’t apply without officials.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
At my rink, they split the league into two divisions halfway through the season, so from that point on, only the top teams play each other and only the bottom teams play each other.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some dork on the other team got caught up in a board battle for the puck, and in the pushing he dropped a set of car keys. :iiam:

Someone eventually shot them along the boards, ref scooped them up, and after a whistle chewed the guy out for being a dumb. Our rink has lockable locker rooms too, not sure why anyone would feel the need to keep their keys on them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I saw the strangest thing last night. A dude on the other team got beat so he did a leaping cross-check at our guy. I'm actually surprised he didn't get more than 2 minutes for that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
our goalie got new pads. he played the game of his life in his new pads

conclusion: gear is important, spend all the money necessary on it

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

Some dork on the other team got caught up in a board battle for the puck, and in the pushing he dropped a set of car keys. :iiam:

Someone eventually shot them along the boards, ref scooped them up, and after a whistle chewed the guy out for being a dumb. Our rink has lockable locker rooms too, not sure why anyone would feel the need to keep their keys on them.

Saw something on the ice and, when the puck was cleared, went over and found a folded up :10bux:.

I don't even know where or why they'd keep that on them in their gear.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bewbies posted:

our goalie got new pads. he played the game of his life in his new pads

conclusion: gear is important, spend all the money necessary on it

I'm up to $2500 in my kit and it's all mid grade gear at best.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Our goalie and all of our backups are out for this evening so it was a game of rock paper scissors at my buddies house warming party this weekend to decide who was wearing the gear and playing in net for tonight.

God this is going to be so good. I might try to take some video.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I'm up to $2500 in my kit and it's all mid grade gear at best.

cool

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Because of scheduling stupidity, my league compressed 5 games into 8 days to wrap up the season. I suppose that's what I get for complaining about ice time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had a game last night with my sub team. Our goalie and all sub goalies were unavailable so one of our forwards had to suit up and "play" goalie.

We outshot the opponent 54-9 :stare: (the score only ended up being 2-0 because their goalie was shockingly good)

Last season, my team had a lot of lower skilled skaters, many of which are injured or decided to take the season off. My captain asked the GM of the league to be put into a higher skilled div and for a few extra skaters to fill out the team. We started the season very short benched (averaging 6-8 skaters per game) and were still competitive. Then we get placed into a lower skilled division than we wanted. Then the new guys show up and they're all pretty good. Now with new (good) skaters and a full bench, we're dominating teams left and right and its not fun. Rather than trying to run the scoreboard up, we really focus on passing the puck around and controlling it. It didn't help that the team we played last night was probably even playing in a division higher than they should be.

poo poo sucks but I guess thats the saga of lovely beer league hockey.

Super excited that Seattle is finally getting an NHL team though. Woo hoo. Lets go Slammin Salmon.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

3 hours of drop in is hard.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Played another game tonight. Have a wonderful sharp pain in my right abductor which feels awesome. It was a small twinge during the game but really hurts now so that's cool. I'm assure walking will feel great tomorrow.

During a face off, the puck drops, their guy tries to push it through me and skates behind me. I block it with my skate and kick it up to my stick to start moving the opposite way. He's upset and puts his stick up my balls from behind (blade up) and yanks really hard backwards. I lose my breath and drop straight to my hands and knees. Instant pain like I haven't felt since being drop kicked square in the balls during a dodge ball game in 7th grade. I saw stars, thought I was going to lose a testicle on the ice and was waiting to see blood squirting out of my pants. Refs didn't see it and no call was made. I made my way to the bench as soon as I could get up.

Im usually the 1 penalty per season kind of player but I'll be dammned if I wasnt looking for retaliation the rest of the game. Most of their team was cool as hell and chatting the whole game but gently caress that Joe Thornton/ Brent burns love child looking mother fucker. I should have wiped my rear end with my hand before the handshake line.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Went down 0-2 to win it 4-3 in OT last night in a game where the refs gave three matching minors in a row. At one point each team was playing 5-on-5 and had three guys in the box.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got blown out by the lovely team last week 9-3. Dominated the #1 team tonight and beat them 5-3.

Hockey is weird as hell.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 11, 2018

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Buncha funny idiocy in my game tonight. One of my teammates got hit or something along the boards and then immediately starts trying to fight the guy, who is not interested at all. We're all yelling from the bench for him to knock it off and for a second he does and you can kind of see the gears turning until he decides "yes, I want to do this" and just tackles the guy and tries to punch him or something (they're both wearing cages) until the ref pulls him off. Completely unfairly to the other team, the ref ejects them both and has us at 5v5. He comes over to the bench and explains that if he gave a fighting major, league rules say we'd be disqualified from the playoffs, so he's just giving each of them 5 and a game for head contact and roughing. While I'm trying to thank him for cutting us a break, our dumbass ringer starts yelling "What, we can't fight without missing the playoffs? gently caress you, ref, this league is bullshit!". Luckily the ref just ignored him but what an idiot.

Also we outshot them like 33-15 and I scored maybe my nicest goal ever to tie it right after the kerfuffle but we lost in shootout because their goalie was having a great game and ours was not.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
We're doing a Make-A-Wish game for the goalies that didn't make it to our level on the 21st. My personal Make-A-Wish is to skate out for a game with my team while the other Make-A-Wish is in net. Thankfully w're playing against a team that is cool and on-board with silliness this time of year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I got an assist today from my knees when I completely ate poo poo for no reason on a 2 on 1 and still managed to slap the puck over the defender's stick to my teammate who buried it. :toot:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Lost our final game to the top team 7-4 after leading 4-0 into the second. We had a short bench and I think got tired, and they just sort of stepped it up and started pressing really hard. Apparently they're moving up a division next season so hey we did alright.

I had one really good play where I took the puck in wide and did a nice drop pass to the winger. I went to the net with some intention of screening, and managed to completely block his shot. Luckily our center got the rebound and scored, cause otherwise I would have felt pretty dumb.

We ended up dead last but actually won something like 6 of our last 10 after a pretty terrible start. Most guys are staying on next season, too. I think playing in this league has been really good for me, but I still really need to not be poo poo at puckhandling. So many opportunities to make better plays but instead I just try to wing it up the boards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

imagine getting mad enough to do something like this:

https://streamable.com/nrnfc

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/watch-teen-suspended-from-usa-hockey-play-after-nasty-attack-during-game/287-623040691

since the site is run by adblock hating jerks, some explanation:

quote:

EULESS — A high school club hockey player has been suspended indefinitely from USA Hockey activities after he struck a defenseless player twice with his hockey stick during a game on Sunday.

The game was between the Arlington/Midlothian Attack and the Grapevine/Colleyville Ice Hockey Association.

[...]

In the video, which was sent to WFAA, two players from both teams can be seen colliding behind the Arlington/Midlothian goal during the game.

While the Arlington/Midlothian player laid on the ice defenseless, the Grapevine/Colleyville player got up and hit him twice on the back with his hockey stick.

The Grapevine/Colleyville player who initiated the attack received a match penalty from officials during the game, which resulted in him being suspended indefinitely from USA Hockey play.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

gently caress me that is crazy poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

imagine getting mad enough to do something like this:

https://streamable.com/nrnfc

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/watch-teen-suspended-from-usa-hockey-play-after-nasty-attack-during-game/287-623040691

since the site is run by adblock hating jerks, some explanation:

This happened to one of my teammates in a high school game years and years ago. Kid baseball batted him in the head with his stick. Concussed him for sure.

I remember it vividly because my teammates dad played in the NHL and was a player who fought. He was just standing behind the other team's net staring daggers while this went down. Luckily he didn't end up killing anyone over it. I can't remember if there were any lawsuits over it or not.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Man that was completely brutal and uncalled for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 posts and not one asking if it was my rink? Disappointing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, it has high school all over it...

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They were skating too good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
When I was in high school, a kid from a nearby school paralyzed someone else with a cross-check after the buzzer. He was charged with aggravated battery. I'm not sure if he was convicted or if it even went to trial.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hahaha that's not even like competitive high school hockey its like a scrimmage

why do lovely players do poo poo like that

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey I played for that team in HS.

Well back then they had 4 teams. Not combined or whatever.

We also had a kid who kicked a ref in the neck when the ref tried to break up a scrum but it wasn’t malicious it was just the dumbest thing because he couldn’t see anything.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 13, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I remember popping up to make a save after my helmet got knocked off in Real High School Hockey in Massachusetts and the ref was all like "Hey it's not worth it T-Bone"

he was right

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What I imagined beer league would be like when I decided to start playing hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4LXDLsivBo

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey goalie goons, I’m pretty sure the goalie thread died so I’m posting in here. I’m a self taught goalie who started a year and a half ago to fill in for goalie no shows so let’s just say I have a lot of things to learn.

When you are going into a blocking butterfly, so glove and blocker at your side and basically just hoping the puck hits you, is the front of your blocker facing the shooter? Or is it pointing to the side? I feel like I can seal my arm against my body significantly quicker if it’s slightly angled to the outside, but then I lose the stick covering my five hole. I just feel like when I get a shooter coming wide to my right and I just want to butterfly and seal that near side post I get 6 holed way too often.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey goalie goons, I’m pretty sure the goalie thread died so I’m posting in here. I’m a self taught goalie who started a year and a half ago to fill in for goalie no shows so let’s just say I have a lot of things to learn.

When you are going into a blocking butterfly, so glove and blocker at your side and basically just hoping the puck hits you, is the front of your blocker facing the shooter? Or is it pointing to the side? I feel like I can seal my arm against my body significantly quicker if it’s slightly angled to the outside, but then I lose the stick covering my five hole. I just feel like when I get a shooter coming wide to my right and I just want to butterfly and seal that near side post I get 6 holed way too often.

They way it's being taught these days is you want your hands out and reaching towards the puck, rather than tucked into sides. It cuts down more puck angle. Your glove is angled like you're holding back a short person by the head who's cartoonishly swinging and missing, and the blocker is at an angle with your stick (not flat and square to the puck). Elbows bent of course. The idea is the having your gloves out aids with eye-hand reactions, and the angles will mostly deflect up anything near the hips (but of course if the shot's in the gut you bring your hands back in to trap the puck).

As for being on the nearside post, there's two methods in the butterfly if the attack is mostly below the faceoff circles: VH and RVH. Basically VH is where you take a knee with your inside (non-post) knee and flush the standing pad and skate to the post, with that side's glove covering a bit more of the top corner, and weight is distribution is leaned towards the inside pad for the butterfly push. RVH is having your outside knee and pad down with a majority of your weight over it, using your outside arm and side to flush the post, your head takes the top corner and the glove covers the hole between your pad and your rear end, and your outside skate is used to pivot either more out or more even with the goal-line. Both are not natural positions and will take some getting used to.

That being said, I've had more success just waiting and then diving poke at and/or slide-tackling the puck and its carrier because I was desperate to not let the puck in the middle. YMMV.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
a guy on my team ate a puck and had to go get stitched up. he was supposed to ref the game after ours so i filled in and reffed my first game ever.

it was like a C or D league game and i had to break up two fights and threw a guy out after he called me a fag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

bewbies posted:

a guy on my team ate a puck and had to go get stitched up. he was supposed to ref the game after ours so i filled in and reffed my first game ever.

it was like a C or D league game and i had to break up two fights and threw a guy out after he called me a fag

I have to know, did it feel good to be the guy tossing people for being stupid?