Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The new school compression jocks are the superior choice. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
And they don't look like the tighty whitey version of S&M gear.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Verman posted:

Why people aren't just using the new shorts jocks is beyond me. Those old school elastic ones are so dumb.

My best hockey purchase of the last year+ was upgrading from a compression short jock to a compression pant jock.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Habibi posted:

My best hockey purchase of the last year+ was upgrading from a compression short jock to a compression pant jock.

I don't know how people do it. There is literally no way I could do the full length compression pants. I don't wear anything under my gear now other than foot socks and a compression short jock. I see guys wearing full length compression pants and long sleeve shirts and It makes me overheat just thinking about it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Verman posted:

I don't know how people do it. There is literally no way I could do the full length compression pants. I don't wear anything under my gear now other than foot socks and a compression short jock. I see guys wearing full length compression pants and long sleeve shirts and It makes me overheat just thinking about it.

I have compression pants, a hip padded jock and a rib padded compression shirt. I'd prefer just a hip padded compression pants with a jock can't find them anywhere. The extra padding on the hip and ribs is basically useless... until you get hit there. Last Friday I fell on my hip and I was drat thankful for that little bit of extra padding. I've taken a couple of pucks off the ribs too. My shoulder pads have rib wraps around them (Easton Mako) and Jesus the difference between that padding and uncovered from my first pads is so much better. Still hurts but it's not disabling.

That said, I loving devour water before a game let me tell you, if I don't I cramp up really bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't taken a puck above the shin guards in over a year. In my league that puck is either flat on the ice or going so wide the ref ducks.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

On the tour thingy they also had a meal plan guide on the counter we could flip through. No huge surprises in there but it was pretty interesting to see how regimented their diet is.

Eggs, turkey, chicken, tortillas, veggies all the time and truckloads of guac were the basics of their example meal plan.

Motivated by this information, when we left I ate a hamburger and fries.

I don't know, a lot of chicken with tortillas and some veggies sounds pretty drat good. The guac and turkey can die in a fire.

I do need to get up to MB at some point. I want to slide around on that ice.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I do the compression shorts jock, but a long sleeve compression shirt - the one that slides back over the forearm bit of the elbow pads.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
One of my teammates has the most ratty equipment. He wears an old long sleeve t-shirt that is pretty more holes than shirt. He had to jb weld his toe cap back on but apparently that didn't work so well so has hot glue on it now. What's funny is he is pretty high up in the Perdue chicken company but refuses to replace anything. Though he did say something about searching for new skates.

This is the same guy who thinks hitting the bar and than rafters is better than a hat trick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah there’s no way to fix a toe box reliably.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My last two games we've had 6 guys :negative:.

We won both because our team is kinda stacked even with that. Pretty tired though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Played a game last night against a kid who played MJHL (Minnesota junior hockey) Tier 3 junior, and NCAA for Bethel College.

We lost 5-3 which seemed a lot closer than it was for a div 4 team playing a div 3 team with a div 1-2 ringer. I will say though, he was a decent guy and a team player. He moved the puck around really well but he dominated the game and still managed to keep himself to 1 goal and 1 assist on the scoresheet. Every play either started or ended with him. He would just carry it coast to coast and then set up his team. You could tell he was often avoiding a scoring chance because when he finally did score, it was one of the most ridiculous snipes I've ever seen. At one point he cut wide along the boards and tried to cut back in towards our goalie behind our D man who gave him one of the more beautiful hip checks I've ever seen in my life.

Bradford, you ever play against the breakers number 3 Russel Oakes?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Played a game last night against a kid who played MJHL (Minnesota junior hockey) Tier 3 junior, and NCAA for Bethel College.

We lost 5-3 which seemed a lot closer than it was for a div 4 team playing a div 3 team with a div 1-2 ringer. I will say though, he was a decent guy and a team player. He moved the puck around really well but he dominated the game and still managed to keep himself to 1 goal and 1 assist on the scoresheet. Every play either started or ended with him. He would just carry it coast to coast and then set up his team. You could tell he was often avoiding a scoring chance because when he finally did score, it was one of the most ridiculous snipes I've ever seen. At one point he cut wide along the boards and tried to cut back in towards our goalie behind our D man who gave him one of the more beautiful hip checks I've ever seen in my life.

Bradford, you ever play against the breakers number 3 Russel Oakes?

According to the box scores, I haven't. We've played against them three times but I was out of town the one time he played against my team. That being said, what you're describing is how one of their players played and I wouldn't put it past the scorekeeper to miss a number or something stupid like that. When I've been in net, we've won 8-2 both times, so who knows. That guy being a ringer started a huge discussion in the GSHL Facebook group if you want to read some stupid beer league drama.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

I haven't taken a puck above the shin guards in over a year. In my league that puck is either flat on the ice or going so wide the ref ducks.

For sure, it rarely if ever happens. I pretty much don't fall on my hip either. Except when I got slewfoot for the first time in 3 years. Haven't taken a puck off the ribs in a few years either.

But by chance it'll happen again eventually. Hell this season I took a stick in the throat on a follow-through which maybe a neck guard would've helped with. gently caress if I'm going to wear a scarf on top of everything else though!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

That guy being a ringer started a huge discussion in the GSHL Facebook group if you want to read some stupid beer league drama.

Oh man, that one wasn't quite as good as the league facebook drama from ~2 seasons ago but yeah that thread was easily 2nd place for Dumb as Hell™

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Any of you guys use a hybrid shield? I was looking at the Boulder Hockey site, l'm not sure if I saw them mentioned here. I used a fishbowl forever, but switched to a cage last year, and I'm wondering how foggy they get...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t get the hybrid shield. The best part of the visibility to me is when pucks are low or in my feet so I can see in peripheral vision. This doesn’t have that. So it’s really to eliminate the 4 thin bars in your view?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I played last night and lets see...

Fumbled 2-3 breakaway chances by my own accord. I tripped over the blue line on one, I lost the puck in my feet on the other, and the ref stepped in front of me on the third.

I scored the game winning goal off a pass from my right winger streaking up the boards as I went to the slot, shot it 5 hole using their D man as a screen.

Got boarded in the last 5 seconds of the game trying to chip the puck to the empty net.

Playing at 750pm really threw me off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Friday night team won the championship last night... on Wednesday. Went to OT and one of our guys went on a breakaway right near the end. He got tripped from behind, and somehow the puck slowly slid across the line past the pile of 2 defensemen, our forward and their goalie.

We had a full bench of 15 (most teams here roster 15 + 3 subs) so I was a healthy scratch since I was a sub. Sucks to have to watch but cool that we won.

My wife gave birth to our twins on Monday, so it was a good week 🥳. I’ve changed a billion diapers since, so wife let me go watch the game. It was a pro move forgetting to take my hospital tag off for the game and team pic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I love the piece of paper taped to the really nice trophy. Congrats on both the kids and the championship!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Congrats on the kiddos and the cup dude

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Congrats on your awesome week! :cheers:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you have a spreadsheet going to calculate a ratio for how many diapers you have to change to be allowed to attend a hockey game?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Congrats on the win and especially the babies! Hope mom and the kiddos are doing well.

xzzy posted:

Do you have a spreadsheet going to calculate a ratio for how many diapers you have to change to be allowed to attend a hockey game?

Newborn twins? There are no calculations there. It is only no sleep, and no sleep.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can confirm. I lasted 37 years of life without changing a single diaper, and I’m pretty sure I’ve made up for it in the past 3 days. Mom and babies are doing amazing and we got to come home today. Mom wants to play fall season already, haha.

Thanks guys!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Hey xzzy, did you hear about what happened in the Dad Bodz/Iron Kitty game from this past Sunday?

https://ashl.ca/stats-and-schedules/ashl/romeoville/#/game-summary/19581 So everyone can see the game report.

THAT DUDE GONE.

We have Dad Bodz in our Round Robin pool. I wonder how lovely they're going to be.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I didn't expect them to be on the same team. Did they fight eachother or .....?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Looks like a last minute attempt to break our PIM lead nice try losers

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't been at the rink since early Sunday so no I haven't heard. That's hilarious.

Next time I see Lisa I'm gonna have to get the scoop.

We've never had issue with anyone on that team, I guess they're a little more slash happy and a couple guys like to talk tough but it's within the realm of fair hockey. But I could see one of them losing their poo poo and getting tossed.

drizzle posted:

Looks like a last minute attempt to break our PIM lead nice try losers

Bad strategy because PIM can be a tiebreaker in the playoffs!! :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Some new hotness arrived in the mail today:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Corey Crawford? ... didn't realize you're in the thread.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Neither did he lmao low blow

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drizzle posted:

gently caress got em

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

Very nice. I've been somewhat eyeing a Passau set but can't really come up with a good justification until the ones I have now are no longer repairable.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Hey xzzy, did you hear about what happened in the Dad Bodz/Iron Kitty game from this past Sunday?

https://ashl.ca/stats-and-schedules/ashl/romeoville/#/game-summary/19581 So everyone can see the game report.

THAT DUDE GONE.

We have Dad Bodz in our Round Robin pool. I wonder how lovely they're going to be.

Is that the Romeoville D-League? Do you know what kind of suspension he'll be getting? If you get a Match Penalty in my D-League in Franklin Park, it's a 1-year suspension followed by a 1-year probation and a hearing with the AHAI board.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, it's Romeoville. It's ASHL and the rule book says it's a suspension until league manager addresses it. So he can cry his way out of being banned or be permanently banned, just depends on whether it's the local commissioner or someone higher in the ASHL.

Hawk is a good straight shooting guy but he also just wants everyone to keep paying to play so I won't try to predict how it ends.

Since playoffs start this weekend he'll at least be missing those.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Seems like it's usually three games at least that's what the guy on our team keeps getting

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yeah, Lisa said the guy who got the boot just wound up and full tomahawked her over the head with his stick, which is why it was 2-10-10.

The match penalty is because his dumbass SKATED BACK OUT ONTO THE ICE TO ARUGE WITH THE REF MORE.

Which team are you on Drizzle?

Edit: Match penalty apparently goes past Hawk to AHAI and USAH. Hawk also doesn't take kindly to smacking goalies over the head and abusing refs. Dude who got the match was also third in scoring for them.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 22, 2019

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Using a stick as a weapon is pretty f-ed up. I'm on Floyd's hammers we used to be black ice but we got a sponsorship from three Floyd's because we are so good :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Those are cool as hell.

drizzle posted:

Harsh truths.