Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Swiss Army Knife posted:

What? I always thought composites were the twigs that snapped all the time, and wood sticks never really broke they just turned to mush eventually as you kept playing with them.

The difference is that a composite, when it goes, gives essentially no warning, and blows the gently caress up. A wood stick falls apart WAY faster but you generally never see them explode because the player will have moved on well before that. generally, the blade in a wooden stick goes before anything else. That said, the shaft will be going as well at that point, especially compared to when the stick was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

I play in 2 leagues. Ones intramural, so they provide the jerseys. The other requires one set of matching jerseys, and the league brings a spare set of reversible sweaters that they give out if theres a conflict.

Also: gently caress REVERSIBLE JERSEYS

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

poser posted:

Any tips on delayed entry to the zone? I'm a little bit faster than people on my team and I beat them to the blue line I just end up stopping and waiting and it messes up my flow.

Obviously straddling the blue line is a good strat, but there are some you can do in the neutral zone to create more open ice for the guy with the puck, like cutting in towards him (if you're far), or switching from one side of him to the other, or cutting towards the boards then back in towards the player (both of these are best if you're closer to him).

Cutting from one side to the other is frequently called a "weave", and it's great because it adds to the defence's confusion as to who they're supposed to be covering. All of these also give the puck carrier an extra pass option as well as "slowing" yourself down without losing momentum. Basically, the idea is that you'll all hit the blue line at the same time, with speed, as opposed to hitting the blueline at full speed and needing to come to a dead stop, or making a tight turn that will put you behind the play as you're now going the wrong way as the puck carrier gains the zone.

E:

xzzy posted:

Question reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O28zjLNsDGY

Maybe you can try some of his ideas?

Really want to second looking at this, particularly the first half before he gets into the PP breakout.

That whole series is really great, but there's a lot of things that are way over the head of lower level players. So just make sure to take the basics of what he's teaching, while the more advanced stuff can sort of be thought of, but not overly used.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 31, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, we got called for icing while we were on the PK :banjo:

Ref realized it after the bench was yelling and he gave us a faceoff in the offensive zone. We got a few good shots on goal and almost got a shorty from it.

Ref hosed up twice on this play, it shoulda been a centre ice faceoff :colbert:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

So I use a 67 flex intermediate stick because I'm like 5'7 152 lbs, is there any way in the world I am supposed to take a one-timer from my one friend/linemate who likes to slap-pass me the puck as hard as he can without my stick basically going C-shaped upon impact? It seriously flexes so hard it feels like it should just snap

Yeah, use a stiffer stick. Or just stop the puck since you know the one-time ain't gonna work.

This isn't to pick on you, I've just been really weirded out by just how crazy whippy the sticks you guys use in here. I'm 5'6, 135 lbs and use cut down 100 flex Easton's. So it's really more like 105 or so. I have no problems getting the stick to bend for snap shot or wrist shots, and slappers work really well.

I've used down to about 85 flex, and the stick just feels like it's bending every time it touches the puck, and not at all in a good way. Just blows my mind that people are using sticks with half the flex of their body weight.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

shyguy posted:

Supposedly Brett Hull used a stick that was no more than a 75 flex.

And none of us are Brett Hull.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Yeet posted:

I posted here a while ago about starting up as a goalie. I've done some research on local leagues and pick up games, one of which sometimes waives goalie fees cause apparently no one likes to play that/sometimes nobody shows up. Plus a guy I work with is an assistant coach for his college hockey team and said he'd help me out, maybe even some rink access!

So I'm seriously considering it. Getting into a league/pick up games wouldn't be a problem. The main problem is what gear. I've done some looking around and...

What's the size (and quality? Function? Whatever?) difference between Sr./Youth equipment? Is there something in between for 25 year olds like me or do I choose one of those?

Can you use rollerhockey equipment as ice hockey equipment?

While the OP is terrific on player gear I'm looking for a breakdown on goalie stuff!

I know specifically the last question is a lot to ask, I would really appreciate someone shedding some light on it. Finally after 6 years of just thinking about I can make it happen.

Hit up the Goalie thread.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

I use CCM's Recchi curve (which I believe they've recently rebranded as Tavares). It's really a jack-of-all-trades type of middle-blade curve. Pretty neutral in the loft department, but it opens up just slightly at the toe if you really need it. Relatively low lie, which is good for the slap shot. Toe isn't square, but it's not too round either. It's served me well for a number of years.

Not a defenseman, but I use the Sakic (Hall now I guess) and Recchi (Tavares) curves. As a centre, I feel they give great overall performance, allowing me take whatever kind of shot I need, ditto for passing. The Sakic is more open, which lifts the puck better, while the Recchi is slightly less. The reason I like having these two curves in my "repertoire" is because I can switch from on to the other as I need it. The Recchi is absolutely more suited to when I need to be playing a pass first game, while the Sakic allows me to shoot from pretty much anywhere.

I always make sure to have one of each at every game I go to, because without the option of switching between 2 different but similar sticks I'd be lost in games where I needed to change for whatever reason. If I break a stick, the backup is close enough that no adjustment is needed, while the more common situation, where I'm just not passing or shooting well, I can switch to the other to make an improvement on whatever part of my game is lacking. Alternatively, I can improve on whatever IS working and hopefully make an impact that way.

So, the point I'm making here is that the stick your using can create a rather large difference, even if it's just mentally. This is important in part because it ensures that your confidence remains up when something bad does happen. Hell I'll change sticks if I'm just feeling like I'm not playing well, and that little boost is enough.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 3, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What worries me is that the team either doesn't expect a buyer will come forward, or they plan to use one of the other rinks as an alternate facility instead rather than try to help keep this one running, because they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week. It could just be a standard end of season thing, I don't know, but it's worrisome anyway.

Just so you know, most if not all NHL teams do this. I wouldn't expect it to be related to the arena closing. That said, the situation really sucks, I feel for all you hockey players that don't have easy access to arenas.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

sellouts posted:

I can't tell if it's the fact people have worn cages all their life or that they started playing hockey later in life that causes them to keep their sticks high. I think it's more how long you've been playing and if you've ever had real coaching that determines it more as it just seems to be a bigger problem at lower levels of adult hockey. Both probably have something to do with it.

I'll almost guarantee that it's from not having a coach constantly yell at them to "KEEP YOUR loving STICK ON THE ICE ARRRRGH I SWEAR TO GOD I'LL BREAK IT IF YOU DON'T!"

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

If you buy pants that fit properly you won't need suspenders :c00lbert:

No seriously, they should sit perfectly without them, but I can see how a lanky/skinny dude might need them to make them sit at the right place. I just hate having (relatively) useless poo poo touching my upper body.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

adulthockey.txt

While we're on the topic of annoying tendencies in beer leagues, how long is everyone's typical shift? In every league I've played in, they are universally too long; people expect you to take two minute shifts and are reluctant to change if you try to end your shift early.

It depends on what level you're playing at. Low level, they expect long shifts because no one is "tired" after 30 seconds. Higher level, they expect you off after 45 to a minute, maybe even after 30 depending on how the shift goes.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

The things you mentioned work really, really well for stickhandling though. Because you can get larger sheets for cheaper. But yeah if you look around online you'll see a lot of people complaining that their cheap solutions can't handle slapshots. Plexiglass works too if you just plan on stickhandling. Again, you have to keep it nice and lubed at all times. I lubed up my shooting board once when I got it and it remains pretty slick(as seen in the video posted). IF you can find the right type of plastic(high density polyethylene) and get a huge sheet it'd be ideal but most plastics companies won't sell you a small enough piece at the right thickness for the right price cuz it's mostly for industrial use and usually bought in bulk (think 1000 sheets)

Kids these days! Needing a nice flat surface to shoot from! In my day, I shot on my deck, at a net that literally had 4 different nets on it, was smaller than regulation size, and eventually had 2 layers of snow fence on it cause I kept ripping the net apart. My deck had the wood going perpendicular to wear I was shooting, so the puck would catch on all the edges if I wasn't careful. You know what it taught me? Character!

Ok, now that that's outta the way, just get a loving piece of plywood. To practice shooting, it doesn't need to feel like ice, because it never will, since you're not on skates. You're working on the mechanics (weight transfer, follow through, etc) when you shoot on foot, not how it feels. It will NEVER feel the same as on ice, because you're an inch, inch and a half lower, and your feet will not glide in the same way either.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

I feel like if you flexed your stick into plywood, it would be pretty drat difficult to progress along the shot enough for the blade to actually release...

I dunno, it never gave me problems, whether on plywood or a deck.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

When my sticks get retired I take slappers off a concrete patio with a softball to work on flexing the stick more. It's awesome but destroys blades so don't do it with a stick you ever want to use again.

Wood blades. Throw them in the opposite end of the shaft, get the same pattern you use on your other sticks, and replace them when needed. I'll always use a composite blade on the ice, because they retain their stiffness and shape so much longer, but for practicing off ice the wood blade was the way to go.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

You're also going to ruin your stick a lot faster that way and to those saying it doesn't really feel like ice, well, you're wrong. And if youre that worried about the footwork feeling different, wear some inline skates.

Roller blades still feel nothing like ice though.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

For what it's worth, USA Hockey is currently on a big push to get away from the tradition of off-ice for hockey training overkill. For instance, they're telling trainee coaches to encourage kids to play soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc. in the off season rather than joining summer leagues or spending a lot of time honing specific skills. Apparently it's based on research that shows that kids are likely to be more successful and avoid peaking too early if they become better all-around athletes. Just a general point that greater verisimilitude doesn't always mean better practice. So long as you're doing something that sharpens the basic skills you need, you'll be fine.

Yeah, soccer is great for hockey, for four reasons:

1. It still teaches you angles, and how to position your body to avoid getting caught, which is very applicable to hockey when you don't have the puck

2. It teaches you that sometimes it's good to go into a guy full tilt, but usually it's better to just slightly knock him off the ball. This is great for situations in hockey where you aren't going to be able to blow a guy up, but still need to get the puck away from him

3. Conditioning. Holy god conditioning

4. It makes you play with your feet better :v:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

I have to disagree pretty heavily with this one. Especially just standing still. When moving, sure, rollerblades feel a little different. Especially when it comes to turning/stopping. But standing still there's virtually no difference except you have a bit more grip on rollerblades. To say 'theyre nothing alike', and imply one doesnt translate to the other, is pretty silly. If you have never rollerbladed before but have ice skated your whole life, and strapped on a pair of rollerblades, you'd be more than alright at rollerblading, and visa versa.

They're nothing alike. No wait, that's not what I said, I said they still feel nothing like ice.

Standing still, while shooting, on ice you will dig your skates into the ice. On roller blades, you can't do this. I'm not saying that rollerblades aren't better than standing there in shoes, I'm just saying that it's still nothing like shooting on ice. Which, again, isn't necessarily a bad thing, as when you're practicing off ice, you should be working on mechanics rather than the feel of different shots.

One place where rollerblades have a huge step up on being on foot is practicing shooting while coming down the wings, the one footed shots.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

one of the refs for our game tonight tried to tell our team that it was a real rule in hockey that you aren't allowed to skate the puck back behind your own net from the blue line and that it always had to be moving "forward"

and he was dead serious too.

Skatetown. :allears:

That actually is (or rather, used to be) a real rule, I think it was just taken out of the NHL book like last year because it was archaic, and it might still be in the Hockey Canada book.

e: Hockey Canada has changed it to simply "The puck must be kept in motion", but that's a remnant of the rule.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

How do you keep them from clanking around in your bag?

He, like me, probably has external pockets specifically for the skates. Like on this bag:

Note: If you're gonna get a bag with outside pockets, DO NOT get one like this, get one with the pockets set up so that you can put BOTH skates upside down so that your skates don't wear through the pocket incredibly quickly.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

You'll be surprised to hear this, but not everybody has the accuracy on their slapshot that Lidas does. It's a hard shot to keep down and aim really well. But, I mean, if you get the puck at the point and you've got the open lane, what can you do? It is really, really hard not to take that shot.

The number one thing d-men are (or should be) taught is to keep the puck down. Especially in beer league, if you start to get a rep for sending them so much as dick high, much less head high, NO ONE will stand in front of the shot, and it's actually pretty hilarious to see both teams move out of the way after the first time all the forwards do so. Which means that your "open lane" suddenly becomes poo poo because the goalie will stop an unscreened shot from the point 99% of the time.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

zinc68 posted:

Try rubbing the lenses with some hair conditioner before your game. It's a known home remedy for keeping visors clear on the ice.

Somehow, Pledge works too. No idea why, but reffing it was the #1 alternate method for visor defogging.

For refs, visors fogging up is a much bigger issue as you're often standing around in a situation where the visor WILL fog up (particularly Linesman), so you see a lot of visor defoggers being attempted and used.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

D C posted:

Febreez doesnt do anything.

Your gear just ends up smelling like Spring Fresh Stank.

Plus you get the bonus of some of it somehow ending up in your bucket, and getting burning eyes from when it eventually (it always does) leaks into your eye area with your sweat!

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

It was so muggy here in Chicago today that there was a fog on the rink. :tinfoil:

It was so thick you couldn't see the opposite crease while behind the net.

I think more hockey games should be played in fog because it looked awesome. Made me wish I had my camera with me.

When I was 12 or so, I was taking power skating at our old local rink in Sudbury, and the fog was so thick that they had us skate with anything large and baggy (they gave a couple of older dudes sheets) around for about 20 minutes before we could start. It was mostly just freaky not being able to see someone come out of nowhere beside you.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, we've had a couple 3rd Man In suspensions in our league even though they were just trying to break up a fight. It's pretty bullshit when your teammate is getting wailed on and you can't do anything about it. We've been told that it's the refs jobs to break it up.

See this is funny to me, because, in one of the leagues I reffed in, if two guys decided to actually go, we literally just stood around, let them get tired, and only go in if it got dangerous for somebody, but otherwise just let the other players on the ice break it up. If poo poo started getting real stupid, yeah, sure, we cleared everything out, but by the time you're grown men, usually the players can deal with it.

Hell, I saw 5 fights in that league, we went in twice, and only once did we report it as a fight on the sheet. Otherwise, we went with the time tested give them a misconduct, and whatever number of roughing penalties to make sure they were out of the game. That's 5 fights while reffing 6-8 games a week for 2 years. Summers off obviously. The guys also knew that fighting could get them tossed from the league, and so did we, so there's that, but still.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

I'm a lazy winger, so I curl back all the time.

Nah, I'm kidding, I only do that like 90% of the time.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Thufir posted:

Anyone have any tips for receiving passes? Particularly ones coming from behind to my backhand.

Get your d-men to not throw you sueys all the time! :v:

Seriously though, try to catch the puck even with or even behind your skates, then cushion the puck towards the front of your body. Since this probably isn't contact, it;s less dangerous, but I've basically been taught that this is the kind of pass that it's "ok" to just try and touch the puck and hope it goes somewhere that you can most quickly respond to (and hopefully evade the massive check the d-man is just grinning at laying out on you.)

Ie, you're touching the puck so that you know where it's going, and therefore have a jump on the opponent, while THEN trying to find a spot to go to, because receiving a pass on the backhand from behind is just asking to get laid out, because you have to turn your whole body to see the puck and are incredibly vulnerable during this time.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

4 D is money, if one doesn't show up 3 D isn't that bad because a forward wanting more ice time could play back or even having one sub is fine for my team I found.

Having all 6 defensemen show up would suck a dick, beer league D take 2 minute shifts

This. Having 5 capable d-men, with one playing forward because either he doesn't like playing d or he's a good forward is money. Having 5 show up with a full forward roster sucks, but it's just something you have to deal with occasionally. So like 5 capable d-men, plus 9 forwards is where it's at.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

bewbies posted:

We played with 5 D and 6 forwards last night. All 5 of the D were over 40, all 6 of the forwards were under 30. I found this amusing.

Also I love it when new skaters show up to pickup, I usually make it a goal of mine to get an assist on a goal they score. If you've never tried this it is a serious challenge and it is great for developing your passing touch.

Word. So true.

When I played AA back in the day, there was a guy that was by far the weakest hockey player on the team, but he skated hard, one his battles, and made sure that me and the other skilled player on the line had the puck as much as possible, while making sure no one hosed with us. If it hadn't of been peewee/bantam and he wasn't tiny, he would've been an "enforcer" but he was also not a very big guy so that never would've worked out for him. After those ages, he found himself back in houseleague cause he couldn't keep up anymore and simply wasn't big enough to power.

Anyway, when we broke into the zone, he had one simple role: drive the net as hard as he could, either to open space for us, or to "tip" pucks into the net. I have no idea how many goals he got, but for a guy with no hands and no shot, he got a godly amount just by pushing through d-men with his stick on the ice while we fired bullets at his stick. Sure, half of them went in off his skates, his rear end, or even the d-men, but goddamn was it incredibly useful to the team to have him there. Hell, even if we didn't get a goal out of the initial play, we had a chance to score on the rebound or to set up a play while the other team was recovering from the clusterfucks he caused. He scored a goal while in mid air from the d-man tripping him, because he kept his stick on the ice all the while.

So something to remember when you're driving the net is to not even try to shoot, just touch the puck, and who knows what might happen.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

Nothing can beat playing in 40 degree winter weather though, you never want to stop for fear of your body temp cooling down too much!

Try playing pond hockey below freezing. Well, until -15 C it's fine, actually, so long as you never stop. And you'll stupidly find yourself stripped down to a t-shirt. Any colder, and you start to keep more layers on, and even then the toes start to get cold.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

Biomechanically, backwards crossovers are very different from forwards crossovers, so while you'd think the skills would translate, they really don't.

When you do a forward crossover, the foot that does most of the motion is the crossing foot. Your outside foot will reach across your inside foot while your inside foot pushes off.

Backwards, this process is inverted, and so a common mistake among people learning for the first time is to replicate the forward crossover and try to step across the inside foot with the outside foot. This will get you on your rear end in a hurry. Your first step should not be to reach across with the outside foot, but to reach in with the inside foot. Once you've done that you pull your inside foot back towards your body to generate power while stepping across it with the outside foot. Through this process the crossing (outside) foot stays relatively in line with your direction of motion compared to a forward crossover.

Yeah, this is spot on. And it reminds me of something that is incredibly useful knowledge!

One thing that forwards should be trying to do s make the d-man do a cross over, either by changing direction or speed. The reason why, is simple: the d-man in this case has momentum going whatever way he crosses over, allowing you to take advantage of that, ie, by going the opposite direction. Basically, you now know where the d-man is going, and he has no choice but to keep going that way. For that reason, d-men need to avoid doing this.

That split second of knowledge, once learned, can be the difference between getting a pass, shot, or dangle through, or failing miserably. One place it works wonders is, in a no-check league, when you gain the zone, cut to the middle (of course, in a checking league, the d-man might intentionally try to get you to cut to the middle so his partner can lay you the gently caress out). If the d-man crosses over to take away your lane to the net, cut back to the direction you were going, the d-man will be forced to pivot against his direction of movement, and then make a play, be it a pass, shot, or quick drive to the net if you've got space. This area of the ice, with an open lane might not seem like a great shooting area, but it has one huge advantage: the delay caused by cutting twice allows your other forwards time to get to the front of the net, preferably outside the far post, and a low far side shot, while unlikely to beat the goalie, frequently leads to rebounds going right to the area this forward should be. It's like a bank pass, but off the goalie!

tldr: d-men, don't do crossovers other than for when you're initially starting to skate back (for acceleration). Forwards, try to make the d-men do crossovers, as it will open ice up for you if you know how to take advantage of it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Habibi posted:

It's the case in other sports as well. Whenever I rally with high caliber tennis players, their strengths aren't necessarily being able to blast a fancy shmancy winner from anywhere on the court. They're footwork, balance, staying low to the ground, always being in the right position, etc...

To me, the best comparison is in golf: those guys that do the "longest drive" competitions, they aren't PGA players, because yeah, they can do one thing, really really well, but they don't have the skill in the rest of the game to be useful, whereas a PGA player is good at EVERY aspect of the game.

Much like, there are guys that have absolute rockets of slappers, that can throw huge checks, or pull off the fanciest moves (see: youtube superstars) but that can never really stick with an NHL team, because they don't have all the skills needed to be an NHL player. a guy being "easy to knock off the puck" usually isn't just too small, but rather is lacking the skill that other players have at protecting the puck. As an example, you would think Hal loving Gill (6'7", 250) would be a beast with the puck, due to his size, but his complete lack of talent at puckhandling means he's easier to knock off the puck than David Desharnais, at 5'7", 180.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

sellouts posted:

This is the actual reason for the rule. Basically it's an old boys league who have teams that have been around forever that register as one team instead of individuals and want to play "this is a serious team!!!", so they buy 1 set of socks and are set for several seasons. They don't give a gently caress about the cost/difficulty of a new player joining the team (they actually like that it's harder to get into the league I'm sure) and they don't care if a new team joins as a draft team (all new players) who have to decide on a jersey, order it, then the money is wasted the next season when that bunch of random players didn't gel together and the team dissolves or the good players get picked off by already established teams.

The way I've always seen this kind of thing done is only a couple of players that know they'll be playing together a while buy the jerseys, everyone buys their own socks, and a couple of guys that, know they'll be team captains or whatever and know they'll be playing together for a while buy the rest of the set. Then, the other guys "rent" the jerseys, at a reduced rate, so that way it's not like the entire set is wasted right away.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

bewbies posted:

I got kicked in the face by a skate playing roller hockey on Tuesday (the guy tripped over our goalie and I was right behind him). My jaw still hurts.

I am glad it was roller hockey.

When a guy bails in front of me, even if I have the puck, I do everything in my power to make sure my skates don't touch him. If I can get around him, I will, but if not, I'll jump and land on my stomache, I don't care. It's beer league, I don't care if I'm giving up a scoring chance, I see no need to risk cutting a guy open when he's gotta work the next day.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Thufir posted:

Our last game of summer season our goalie went to the bar beforehand and seemed pretty loaded but played absolutely lights out...until he let in like 5 weak goals in the 2nd half of the 3rd.

That's when he started to sober up, though.

e. what a way to start a page

e2. I can't play decently with more than a couple of beers in me, it's not so much as I lose my ability to skate, as I lose hockey sense. Basically muscle memory is fine for pretty much everything, but once I'm too drunk, I just can't get to the right places on the ice anymore

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 10, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

I use a 2-piece. I can't bring myself to buy a one piece because I know I'll crack the blade 2 games later.

You can always put a new blade in the broke shaft, you know. Either flip the stick (yes, now it's backwards) or cut it high enough that the taper is gone, then put in a regular blade. If you need to cut too much off, slap an extension into the other end, it won't take much abuse so just make whatever adjustments to the extension you need to to make it fit.

I thought 1-pieces were garbage until I started doing this, I've never had a problem with it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

:laffo: :golfclap:

No, but I played on a team of guys from Tinker Air Force Base who almost all smoked. I was on the team because they needed an extra player one season, they sucked, I was in a lower league because I was 16 but really good at roller hockey I tell ya, so the league director moved me up to play with the "big boys". Well, the ones that smoked were across the board dying at the end of the period. It was pathetic. That is where my problem solving skills and caving to peer pressure came in. I am asthmatic and always brought by inhaler to games, not because of pending asthma attacks but just because my lowered lung capacity had me breathing like a smoker. So it helped my not heave for an hour straight. Once the guys started seeing me use it on the bench they told me they use one during PT sometimes to help them out. So naturally, here I am letting them use every game. Yep, as a 16 year old I was supplying PEDs to members of the Air Force :patriot:

Every team I've ever played on before beer league always had "that guy with the puffer." Usually a third liner, on teams with 3 lines, maybe with a couple of spares, and he would always hook the team up. Yeah. Even back in peewee, so 13-14.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

e:^^^another point for you here :v:

xzzy posted:

5'10" also and I got 14" reebok over-tongue. I'd say they're just a hair too long, but 13's were too short.

Two data points! That's almost real statistics!

I'm 5'6" and wear 14" Bauer Vapors over the tongue. I wouldn't wear anything shorter, they come right down to my feet and the plastic cap touches the pants. There are no open holes where a puck or skate can get in and hit my leg directly. I realise that comfort is important, but I don't like getting hurt (or even stung a bit) for no reason when I'm blocking a shot. Especially not when I'm blocking a point shot that could lead to a break the other way.

I readily admit that all my gear (except elbow pads) are probably too big, but they fit well together regardless. I have large Graf shoulderpads that I picked mostly because the chest plate comes down to my pants, covering all of that vulnerable area (including the abdomen).

Sure, now that I'm playing beer league it doesn't matter (hell I don't even wear shouldies most of the time) but back in my playing competitively days, before the obstruction crackdown, all of this was needed to protect against hooks, slashes and the like as well as pucks. The best part of the obstruction crackdown has been not coming out of games with my torso looking like a bruised, scraped up mess.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Habibi posted:

5'8 and I use Bauer XXV 13". Under the tongue. Never even thought of trying to put them over. Looking at the image of "what happens when there's a gap..." I don't quite understand how that wouldn't happen even if the shinguards were over the skates - doesn't seem like they would come down that low, anyway?

My shinpads literally rest on my feet (well, the tongue of the skate). So there is basically nothing facing forward that isn't covered in plastic, between my pants, shinpads, and toe guards. The top of the foot is protected from skates by your own skate (not the tongue which covers the top, but by the sides of the skates), but a fluke could still get in there. That said, in this way you're minimising the amount of unprotected flesh.

The sides and backs have less protection, but that's what the calfwrap is for. If you're doing your job right, the front of the body should be receiving by far the most amount of damage, and the plastic is there to prevent that from causing injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

I've got my eye on you, mister.

Here's another factor to consider in the tongue equation. When little kids play hockey, their parents tend to put their gear on. If you're dealing with a squirming six-year-old, you're going to go for the simplest method possible, and that means skates go on last. So most players who start skating at the mite or squirt level probably start tongues out. When you start putting on your own gear, though, it's harder to tie your skates once you're fully suited up, so that gets moved earlier in the process, creating an opening for change.

I have confirmed this with a highly scientific GIS for "mite hockey".

My highly non-scientific anecdotal experience is that I only switched from under-tongue to over-tongue when I started buying my own gear, around the beginning of college.

So I'd imagine there's an age dimension: younger skaters are more likely to be outies, whereas you'll find more innies as you progress to higher and higher age groups where a) the players have had a chance to make the decision on their own, and b) you have more late starters who don't carry the baggage of the parental suit-up.

I really wanna agree with this, but the change definitely starts happening earlier. It's sorta similar to the sock in our out question, except in this case it has to do with protection as opposed to looking cool. As in, I know guys that put their shinpads inside their skates, but, tuck their socks around their skates (in front as well as in back). These guys do it for looks, whereas most of the players that tuck the tongues in do it for protection (or comfort, maybe?) as opposed to looks.

E: an edit here is necessary, maybe. in tykes (mites, whatever) everyone is done up, the same way, shinpads in, likely for the reasons you stated. But as you get older, the way everyone starts to do their shinpads up changes, sometimes there's a good reason, sometimes, not so much.

Hell sometimes the guys that tuck the tongues in also wrap their socks around the back of the skate, I dunno.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 28, 2011