Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
My shinny group just started up last night. My city up here in Ontario just started exploring the rinks opening up. You need to show up dressed as much as you can, most guys wear pants, shin pads, etc. but need to put on skates. No change rooms, you have to get dressed at the ice surface (there's 4 ice surfaces at the arena) and they have chairs all spread out around and separated. Masks are mandatory until at the ice surface, but we've required everyone to wear them when getting dressed, etc. Ice times have a half hour gap in between them now, you don't get access to the arena until 15 minutes before ice time, everyone sanitizes their hands, have to be out of the arena 10 minutes after your ice time. Taped off aisles for moving around the facility, separate exit and entrance doors. It's the same group of guys each week and everyone uses up the whole bench and spreads as far as possible. Temperatures taken on the way in and attendance taken. If someone doesn't show we cannot sub anyone in. It's not perfect, but it's almost as good as I expect to get. I don't think I would be comfortable with a league, and even this was hard to justify and I'm keeping an eye on cases and ready to pull out if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

Are you in Hamilton? That sounds exactly like my rink

Mohawk 4 Ice Center, I was impressed at how organized it was.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

Haha yeah that's my rink! You play Tuesdays? I'm there on Wednesdays. I used to play GHL and Russell but now I just do this shinny group.

I play shinny on Sunday nights, I'll look into getting into an actual league when we're not in the middle of a pandemic. I want the exercise from hockey, but I want to keep my exposure down, so last shinny of the night seems to be okay. Just the same group of guys. It is really weird to see the arena so dark though at night as all the upper floor lighting is off and what not and the parking lot is so empty.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

That's exactly where I'm at as well, I've been pretty reserved otherwise for going out. I go out for groceries and to see mine and my wife's family and that's about it.

The shinny group I'm in is good, nice range of skills, very welcoming. I'm one of the worst people on the ice as far as skill goes and no one complains about it or being on my line. Which always makes it nice, and they also don't baby me either and avoid playing any more or less aggressively against me than the others.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

The not showering thing is definitely awkward. I have basically relegated one of my lighter jackets as the gross hockey jacket and need to pick out a winter one soon I think.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Fortunately proof of double vax is needed just to enter arenas here and you still need to wear a mask until at the Ice surface. Which weeded out the one or two anti-vaxxers in our shinny group.

So hoping to get a full season in again finally, as I am barely better than a pylon and need all the practice I can get.

Still waiting for open skate options to start up so I can just work on skating.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Weeee, all my goals are bad/fun goals. Most recent one though, was picking up a puck that floated out to above the hash marks. I actually remembered to pull the puck back to get some heat on the shot and fired away as there was traffic in front.

The defense cleared out of the front of the net to give the goalie a clear view of the shot. Unfortunately it was going about a foot wide, hit the defenseman's stick as he was not to the side of the net and redirected in the net. Him and the goalie just looked at each other confused.

As it was shinny and my brother happened to be the unfortunate defenseman in this case, I made sure to go over and give him an unsolicited fist bump to ensure the salt was thoroughly rubbed into the wound.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

And here I thought my team was overdoing it by getting a nice AK jersey with an embroidered crest.

Everyone loving loves it too, whenever we get new skaters I gotta put another order in. It's your $70 dudes, a $10 jersey is just as effective but I guess you gotta have a style.

I mean, sometimes you just wanna look pretty right? Honestly I love seeing teams with nice matching jerseys, track suits or matching bags feels like kids rep hockey.

I still want to see random beer leaguer show up in a suit some time, not because they left work late or something, but just because.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

I still am only playing pickup (I still haven't had a full year as Covid shut everything down right before we swapped from winter group to summer group) but finally feel like I'm not a liability on the ice anymore. I switched from playing goalie from age 6-21 and then taking a decade or so off playing all together and came back playing forward.

My skating still sucks, especially as outside edges aren't really a thing as a goalie. But I finally feel like I'm in the play and also not a hazard to someone else heading hard into a corner or the boards. (One of the heavier but shorter guys on the ice, so a lot of concentrated mass). I feel where I really shine is annoying people with my mismatched colored gear, and man do I have a blast out there every night

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I played hockey tonight.
After I ran a marathon yesterday.

My legs are loving dead.

You monster, how dare you shame the rest of our lack of fitness. Also totally badass though

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

scuz posted:

Are there any YouTube channels that are the hockey version of Thinking Basketball? https://www.youtube.com/c/ThinkingBasketball Breakdowns of individual players and things like that?

Played center on a low-ranked team last night and boy oh boy it's hard playing center on a team that can't pass or backcheck or breakout.

What is this backcheck you speak of. I have only heard it rumored of in the oral histories of other player's youth.

I always tell everyone it's a very bad sign when I am the forward backchecking often because it meant I made a bad breakout pass.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Growing up I had a kid on my team one hear who refused to wear a cup. He played defense, aggressively blocked shots and refused to wear a cup. He even did get bagged twice....but refused, I don't get it.

Talking with someone I bowl with about hockey and playing goalie, I discovered their son one time forgot his cup and played 2 games without it in a tournament as he was afraid he'd get in trouble for forgetting it after driving all that way.....this just hurts me to even think about.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

It's so bizarre to me hearing all these stories about no mask enforcement, etc. You need a mask to enter pretty much any indoor public place north of the border, and anything like a theatre, sporting center (i.e. rink) or restaurant requires proof of double vax. Hell you're supposed to wear a mask when leaving your unit in my apartment building.

I suspect that my hockey will be shut back down for a bit after the holidays, but we'll wait and see. I know a few beer leagues that have had to pause as everything has to be closed by 11pm... anywhere serving booze has last call at 10pm.

On the plus side, my wife got me some hockey stick handling tiles for the apartment as a Christmas gift. So hopefully I'm have something resembling hands instead of these concrete paws I currently handle the puck with.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Zip! posted:

Having managed to dodge covid for this long, I have managed to pick it up right before Christmas. I'm waiting for others results to come back, but I'm pretty sure I've picked it up from the team's Christmas skate which is very lovely!

With how aggressively omicron is spreading, I would say odds are good a majority get it now. But the vaccines also seem to make it ridiculously less hazardous to your health. So hoping our vaccine percentages are high enough that we get to a point where we treat it as endemic and no more significant loss of life or hospitalization.

One of the guys I play shinny with works at the labs that do the testing, and said we're at at 70+% of cases being omicron now. He also had his family Christmas 3 weeks ago as he expected us to get hit this hard from early reports.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

My shinny group ended up being a skills session last night as we found out neither of our regular goalies could come and couldn't get any of our usual backups in either. So we ended up with 3 of us out just doing a skills session. Which consisted of the other two working on their shots, one-timers and what not while I worked through drills I remembered as a little kid to work on my terrible skating.

Glad I went as it looks like the last time I'll be on the ice for probably a month or more as they just shut everything down up here in Ontario today (well officially starts Wednesday). So I'll be back at home for most of month.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

We have a few guys for my Sunday night shinny who are in their 50s/60s who are playing their second or sometimes third or fourth game with us that day.

Most have some pretty slick hands and keep up their speed and momentum really well.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

I really wish I had footage to watch of the guys who run into me and get blown up just running into my chest.

I'm not that big (5'8" 225lbs) and not that great on my skates either. But most of my weight is pretty centered between my knees and chest, and I'm pretty solid in my feet, and many people just try and cut back into me when I'm intentionally giving them a certain line as it's the less dangerous position and the expect to trick me.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

Had a goalie yell at me a couple weeks ago for not hitting him in the pads during warmup. Little did he know I was trying my best, I’m just bad at hockey.

This is also me, used to be a goalie, took 10+ years off and came back as a forward 2ish years ago, you're lucky if I can pick a half of the net to hit.

Finally got to play a league game for the first time in over a decade as I've just been doing a private shinny once a week since I came back. Definitely a bit broader spectrum of skill in this group. What was most surprising was that I was definitely not the slowest or least skilled player out there which was a big change. The downside being I ended up where my other winger took my usual spot of parking the bus in the goalies face, which was my one skill.

Speaking of being bad, this league does a 3 round shootout in between 2nd and 3rd period to settle a tie if one comes up. I know some teams have the new guys in the shootout rotation until they score, but because I'm the only new guy on the team, I'm just doing all rounds until I score on the shootout.....I certainly hope nobody else on the team wanted to do a shootout this season.

All-in-all was a super fun night, league seems pretty chill (small 4 team, self-contained summer league) and I wasn't an embarrassment out there compared to what I thought I would be. Definitely giving me the itch to look for a weeknight league to play in alongside my shinny group in the winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Stitecin posted:

Absurdity can be it's own reason. :colbert:

Likely part of it, my other suspicion is that if the game goes long and there's a lot of whistles, there's no time when we get buzzed off by the rink attendant at time.

I believe in general if the shootout is tied at 3 rounds, they don't bother doing more and it might just be a tie instead of a shootout/overtime win. There is no playoffs, so overall best record just wins after last night of the year.

The only time I heard of an extra round of shootouts was the last week of the year, it just happened to line up that the two teams battling for first and second were playing each other and they needed a winner to decide overall season winner. But the extra rounds came after a short overtime after the game.