Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

More thoughts on crossovers...

xzzy posted:

Do I just gotta get skinnier legs? Is a technique thing I gotta sort out? Is there a difference in feel between hockey skates and figure skates?

I have the same problem as you as far as not having toothpick legs goes. There's been some great advice from guys probably a lot more qualified than me already (I just started skating last April, so I've only been at this a year), but. One of my skating instructors in my first learn-to-skate class suggested practicing crossovers off the ice by walking sideways up a staircase in my skates (leave your soakers on, though). So if you have access to a staircase, that might be a way to do some practicing when you can't get ice time.

bewbies, thanks so much for this thread. I have found some dead useful info in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

But I have a job. :smith:

I just got seriously lucky that the rink is ~8 minutes from my desk.

You aren't kidding. The closest one to where I work is like 12 miles away. I am seriously considering changing jobs just to be closer to a rink.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 1, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Just played in my first ever pickup game tonight. Good stuff, a lot of organized chaos because we're all at about the same level (mostly beginners, a few more experienced guys). The benches were short so we really didn't stick to positions and we only had one goalie. It might have driven some more experience players insane, but we had a blast. Beats the hell out of watching TV on a Friday night anyway.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

One of the bad things about living in a non-traditional market is sometimes you get things like what just happened here last Friday.

I live in an NHL town (you can probably guess which one from my avatar). Ice time around here is generally at a premium all year long because we don't have an overabundance of rinks, and now it could get a bit harder. One of our rinks (the one that the team uses as a practice facility when they can't use their arena, no less) got foreclosed on. If they don't find a buyer in the next ten days, the rink will shut its doors for good. What worries me is that the team either doesn't expect a buyer will come forward, or they plan to use one of the other rinks as an alternate facility instead rather than try to help keep this one running, because they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week. It could just be a standard end of season thing, I don't know, but it's worrisome anyway. This is the rink closest to my house and it's the one where I do the bulk of my skating. I'm not thrilled about having to travel a longer distance and possibly having to pay more just to find ice time.

I'm sorry this post isn't technically about playing hockey but I'm super bummed about this turn of events, especially since we were on the verge of starting up a new summer league there.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

What is the name of the rink? Link to sale details? My pops is scheming lately.

And hockey is a dangerous sport wherein blocking a shot is hardly the most dangerous bit, in my opinion.

It's The RecZone (Raleigh, NC, if you need it). I don't have any more details other than what the program instructors there have given us, unfortunately. Supposedly some potential buyers were scoping the rink out today but I haven't heard anything about how that went. I've got a scrimmage/learn-to-play over there tomorrow night so with any luck we'll get more info then.

If they do find a buyer, I hope whoever the new owner is gets a new website going (the current one is seriously some of the worst web design you'd ever want to see).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

gigabitnokie, I have a random question for you that I don't want to clutter up the thread with, but you don't have PM. Shoot me an email at zambonirodeo at gmail.com if you would be so kind! Thanks.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

After spending the last year doing learn-to-plays, stick-n-pucks, scrimmages and pickups, I finally played in my first official league game tonight. It was a loving blast! I can't describe how much fun it was, but I don't have to because all of you already know.

I was subbing for a shorthanded team and played D. Unfortunately the rosters are all full, but since people are gone a lot in the summer I should be able to get a lot more work before it's all over. I'm just sorry I never picked it up any sooner in life.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

poser posted:

I have back to back games on Sunday, any suggestions for good between games?

This is my go-to when I'm skating and I don't want to load up on food. The only sugars come from fruits and it's got soy and whey proteins. You have to like tropical fruits though.

I have a question: Is lace bite just a generic term for any time your laces are too tight, or is it something specific? About a month or so ago I swapped out to some wax laces and things went okay for a bit, but after about two weeks of skating with them I got a swollen spot on the front of my ankle, like an inflamed tendon or something. Since the only variable that changed was the laces, I swapped out the wax laces for my old ones, but now it happens every time I skate. I always put my shin guard on the outside of the skate tongue and I don't generally do the laces really tight around my ankle. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Here's the fix: Bunga Pads. I can't recommend these enough for helping lace bite.

Thanks for this. I'm definitely going to give these a shot. Did you do anything else for it when you were off the ice, like icing the tendon or anything? Or is it just a matter of letting the healing process do its thing?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

bukowskiyouth posted:

Does anyone have any techniques to get your hockey equipment to not smell like death? My gear is starting to get so bad it fills up large rooms, and spraying febreeze and Lysol on it only makes it worse.

Build yourself one of these (and then use it):

4'x4' pegboard with a frame on the back. I should add that it does help if you have a big area of wall to hang it on, though. Also, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. My gear isn't really purple, I swear.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

So we had a short bench Sunday night and decided to switch things around just for shits and grins. I swapped from D in the first to wing in the 2nd and 3rd... and had no idea what the hell I was doing. I think so much better defensively than I do as a forward (although my teammates kept telling me just get to the net and try to stuff it in, that's all you need to know, but I'm sure you forwards out there could give me more/better pointers than that). It's just a recreational house league and the games don't really count, so it's a good chance to get outside your comfort zone and try different positions. I may give the wing another shot sometime just for the hell of it, but I really prefer D when given the choice.

And just because I was feeling insane (or maybe masochistic?) I added a second league to go along with my Sunday night one. This second league is Tuesday nights. Early game is 9:10 PM, late game is 10:30 PM, and I think it rotates week to week which game you get. This is in addition to the two weekly learn-to-play/skills classes I do.

I am so in love with this sport it's ridiculous.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

poser posted:

I'm 28:cool:

:smith:

Ya'll just shut the hell up. Between you and Henrik Zetterberg mentioning his 30th coming up, I'm thinking I may be the oldest one in the room. If I can learn to play at an age when most pros are starting to think about retirement, and I'm skating with some people who are 20 years older than me, then you guys all have plenty of hockey years left in you.

Quick question since I'm here, just out of general curiosity: do you skate barefoot or in socks? What kind of socks if you use them? Why did you decide on barefoot if that's how you roll? I prefer to skate in these ultra thin sock liners that are really designed for runners and I occasionally ponder the idea of going barefoot but I just can't quite bring myself to try it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Cats will do poo poo like that if they're mad at you. Good luck figuring out what they're mad about though. Everyone thinks cats are just dumb animals, but they can be pretty goddamn smart when it suits 'em.

My cat did that to me a while back. He was ill cuz I kept leaving the house to play -- he figured out that whenever I loaded up the gear bag that meant I was going to be gone for a while. So yeah, he's not allowed in the room where I keep my gear anymore.

Also, I just played my first game ever in contacts tonight after spending the last year and a half wearing glasses behind my cage. Holy gently caress I can't believe what a difference it makes. It's ridiculous how much better I could see the ice. And no fogged lenses after a shift, either. Bonus!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

cenzo posted:

I'm a full time glasses guy (mostly because I'm too lazy to go get contacts ordered) and it's not too terrible. They don't fog for me, but when sweat drips onto them it actually is the end of the world.

Have you ever tried wearing a bandanna under your helmet? It's always worked for me. Just tie it low on your forehead.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

We drew the late game tonight. Didn't take the ice til 10:40, only had eight skaters, went to a shoot out (we lost in the 8th or 9th round, I lost track). The whole thing wasn't over til after midnight. Worst part was my helmet broke right before game time and I had to borrow one (and now I need to buy a new one). That should have been an early indicator that the night wasn't going to end well. With as short a bench as we had we kept shifting positions all night, so I spent the whole game not where I was supposed to be. It was like I'd never even played before. I hate nights like that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Stopping is easy, that's what the boards are for. :v:

Skating backwards though.. I feel like I'm never going to get good at it.

Once you get it sorted out, going backwards is easier than going forward (at least, it is for me). It's why I prefer playing D. The only problem is, I'm still having a bitch of a time transitioning from skating forward to skating backward on the fly. loving mohawks!!! :argh:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Played in back-to-back games tonight. The EARLY game was at 9:15. Second game started around 10:30. Six periods of hockey plus a shootout in the second game (this league doesn't do an OT period and we use 5 shooters instead of 3). Played on the wing in the first game and we lost by a goal, played D in the second and we won the shootout. Maybe it's just because I was warmed up, but I felt like I skated better overall in the second game. I was reading the ice better and making better decisions. Anyone else ever notice that when they play back-to-back games?

Bloody gently caress, I love this game.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EvilTwig posted:

Because of this thread, I signed up adult skating classes that started a few weeks ago. I'm also looking at the NESHL rookie league that starts in mid-October. It's been 20+ years since I last played hockey.

Congrats! That's fantastic! I went from never even having been in ice skates before last April to playing in two leagues this fall and I'm having more fun doing this than I would have ever thought possible.

Some of you may remember a while back I posted about one of our local rinks going under. The bank found someone to run it temporarily while they look for a buyer -- the last I heard there were at least nine interested buyers but I have no idea where that stands. The rink reopened back in August and is totally committed to hockey. The old rink tended to favor figure skaters, but the new managers only offer like two hours of freestyle time a week. The rest of the time is given over to stick-n-puck, pickup, league play and team practices. They tore out the old snack bar and front desk and completely re-did the ice. Our local NHL team lent their ice crew to the rink to help (considering the team uses it for an alternate practice rink, they had a vested interest in having a good ice surface), so we now have NHL-caliber ice to skate on. The eventual plans are to add a pro shop (the old rink had a figure-skating pro shop but nothing for hockey) and a sports bar (run by a retired former NHLer, no less). One of the leagues I'm in plays there and it's incredible how much has changed in a few short months. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

You should ask my teammate what happens when you leave a gap between your boot and your shin guards:

And that right there is why I carry suture strips in my gear bag. Absolutely indispensable, they are.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Thufir posted:

edit: VVVV updated! VVVV

If you're collecting data, I'm 5'7" and wear 14" Eastons, over the tongue.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Angry Asian posted:

I usually just gave my skates to the dood at the shop and he would just sharpen without asking questings, gently caress that guy. Think I'm going to give 3/8's hollow a try.

If you're used to 1/2", which I believe is pretty standard, be prepared for your blades to bite more into the ice. I use a 5/8" cut, and I had a guy adjust his sharpener the wrong way and give me a 3/8" instead. I couldn't stop because my blades had so much bite that they wouldn't slide.

I went down on my knees at stick-n-puck last night and now my right knee is all bruised and swollen, even after icing it most of the day. Am about to go to the rink and play on it though as we're shorthanded already, and I have another game late Tuesday that will probably be shorthanded too. Hope I can walk when I leave the rink tonight.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Lunch hockey is the best hockey! Played some 4-on-4 for about an hour today. What a great way to break up a workday. I wish I could do this more often, but the job just won't allow it. I need to find a job with a more flexible schedule...

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Stick talk!

Apologies if this has already been posted (I kinda zoned out during the SoCal hockeychat).

Has anyone else played with this yet?

Reebok Stick Selector

The best part is that for some models they give you blade equivalents for other players, so you're not necessarily stuck buying a Reebok stick.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Oh dear god my knees...

I was doing a coaching certification clinic yesterday and part of it was an on-ice session where the instructors had us doing practice drills that we could take back and use as coaches. So there's 60 adults out on the ice in warmups with just gloves and helmets and sticks. No one bothers to skate full gear because hey, we all know what we're doing and it's just some light demos, nothing crazy.

Yeah, right.

We had a skating instructor giving an edge demo, and when my group went to practice it one of my buddies and I ran into each other. He's a lot bigger than I am, and he stayed on his feet. I did not. I landed flat on my knees on the ice. Now they're both swollen and bruised and I've even got fabric burn patterns on my left knee from my warmup pants. I'm supposed to play tomorrow night and I'm not sure I'll be able to get my shin guard on over my right knee (at least not without a considerable amount of pain). I missed our game last week because I was suffering through a flu, and now this. Life's about a bitch.

But on the bright side, I got my Level I coaching cert.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does anyone around here use a do-rag or a skull cap or something to keep sweat out of their eyes? I'm curious what people have found that works under a hockey helmet.

Usually I don't have a problem with it, but it seemed like every time I went back to the bench tonight my eyes were burning. I wear both a cage and glasses, so it's a huge pain in the rear end to unfasten everything to dry off with a towel.

+1 for a bandanna. Works well for me, cheaper than an UnderArmor skully, and comes in a wide array of colors and patterns as long as you like paisley.

Also, if you can tolerate it, consider switching from glasses to contacts at least for playing, if not in your daily life. I finally made the jump to contacts after skating for a year in glasses and I can't tell you how much better I can see the ice now. I still wear my glasses for daily stuff, but I can't imagine skating without contacts anymore.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

SecretSquirrel posted:

That's nothing, my 60 year old father started ice skating a few years ago...a few months after I got my first pair as well.

My dad decided at age 65 that he wanted to (re)learn to ice skate. The last time he'd done it was 40 years ago. So he asked if I wanted to tag along and I said sure. It's his fault I play hockey. (As a side note, he does not.)

Also, holy crap do I love playing D. It's the most awesome loving position.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Took a puck off my cage at a lunchtime pickup today. Would have caught me right in the nose/upper lip and maybe removed some teeth if I didn't have it. That would have been fun to try and explain to the boss...

Also, my cousin texted this to me:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

So we played without a goalie for the first half of our game last night AND we had two of our goals waved off, and we still won. Good times.

Elbow pad survey: what do you wear? I'm in the market for some new ones. Currently I'm rocking a pair of low-end Warriors but I'm looking to switch up because they keep sliding down my arms. I've been using sock tape to hold them up but it's getting old and I'd rather just roll with something that will stay in place properly. The ones I have now have a single strap around the upper arm and a single strap across the forearm with some kind of stretchy fabric through the elbow that doesn't do anything that I can tell.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EvilTwig posted:

Week 2 instructional hockey trip report: My face hurts from smiling.

Sweet. Most fun you've had doing anything, right? That's what I tell people all the time.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

As a goalie, I'm constantly chattering out there. ...

I wish my regular goalie would yell at us more. I played with a sub a few weeks ago who was really good as far as giving us heads-up about coverage during the play. Our regular goalie is good at seeing the game and telling us during the intermissions where to look for holes and take advantage of the other team's breakdowns but never yells anything at us during play.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

bigmike posted:

Still not the craziest hockey related thing some cooky Canadian invented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2En4aBctIco

Ah, but have you seen the wonder that is Three-Way Hockey yet?

http://www.hyperinfo.ca/GS.Sunatori/2007-04-02.html

For some reason, I think I would probably play the hell out of this if it were a thing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

One of my hockey buddies is playing in a game this weekend. Lucky guy. I will be at the arena pulling for him and wishing I could be skating instead of just watching. It looks like it's going to be pretty awesome.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I can't say enough about having a really good pro shop to go to. Dropped in for a sharpening, came out with a free trial pair of SuperFeet to test drive after talking to the guy who owns the shop. Played in them tonight, and holy cow what a difference it makes. They pulled my feet back in the boot which really opened up the toe box. I had a place in my left skate that I'd been toying around with getting punched out, but with the SuperFeet in the problem was totally eliminated. It was unreal. Also, the owner's sharpenings are incredible -- it's like melting butter to step out on the ice with a set of blades that he's done.

So +1 for good pro shops and SuperFeet.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Every once in a while I see a guy who secures is shin guards with some old skate laces, that seems pretty smart because it means he doesn't have to keep buying tape.

I skate with a guy who uses yellow caution tape because, as he says, it's cheaper and it works just as well. Totally badass.

Makes me want to get some police line tape the next time I need some.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Jackdonkey posted:

I'm 35, just learned how to skate this winter, I'm starting a beginner class/league in a couple weeks. It seems like every time I'm out on the ice I get better at crossovers or skating backwards, which I am still very very slow and not in control doing. It's very cool to learn something new, especially something that involves muscle memory or building up tiny muscles you hardly ever used before. Some day I will have to learn surfing. My biggest challenge is finding stuff not made in China, that's my grizzled old self talking, it costs $210 to get pants made in Canada.

My stick was made in Vietnam. :canada:

After nearly two years on the ice, the things I had to work for when I started are coming naturally. Just in the last few months I've noticed that I've gotten so much better at reading the ice and knowing where I'm supposed to be and when. I guess it's one of those things where you're actually improving every time you go out, but maybe you don't see it in the early going because you're too concerned with what you're doing. All of a sudden one day you're in the middle of a game and you make a good play without having to think about it, and you're all like, "gently caress, yeah!" Everything just starts to click. It's pretty drat awesome.

Still can't lift the puck on command, though. :argh:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

+1 for the survey. Gonna have to fill it out when I can get home and look at my gear.

Numberchat: I haven't committed to a jersey number yet. Until recently it really hasn't been a big deal, but I just started in a new league this week that wants us to have numbers, and I'm having a bitch of a time coming up with one. I suppose I could just keep on what I've been doing, using tape and making numbers based on whatever numbers are already being used, but I figure I probably really ought to just go ahead and pick one and make it official. So my question is: how did you chose your number? Did you use your birth year? Throw a dart at a dartboard? Make a ritual sacrifice to the hockey gods under the light of a full moon? Just pull one out of your rear end because you had to? Help me, this is such a stupid problem to have.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

shyguy posted:

http://tinyurl.com/btl3xhl

Some eBay douchenozzle actually think he's going to get $500 apiece for new and unused Jofa "Gretzky style" helmets :psyduck:

There's an old-school coach at one of the rinks I skate at who wears one of those. I don't know that he'd drop 500 bones for a new one, though.

As an aside, he has a modern helmet that he wears in his graybeards league. League requires it.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 27, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I've been down with some kind of crud for the last ten days that simply will not go away, but after spending all of last weekend in bed and not skating, I was damned if I would miss another week of hockey. So I mainlined Zicam and fluids all day and went out to the rink tonight, determined to skate even if it killed me. Took me about half the first period to get my head right and in the end I did better than I hoped I would, but not as well as if I were 100%. The bonus is I feel better now after playing than I did earlier today, which is good since I have another game tomorrow night. It probably helps that we won 7-2, too.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Sami Lepisto's leg:

:gonk:

I don't think I'll be standing in front of guys on the point anymore.

I came in to post this. Guys in the NHL aren't human, I swear.

I've mostly just taken shots off my feet and ankles. Took one in a game Sunday night that got me in the ankle just above the boot of my skate and where my leg wasn't covered by shin guard. That one stung for a little bit. It left me with a swollen knot where I got hit but it didn't even bruise. Nobody in the leagues I play in is firing 90+ MPH slapshots, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Finally committed to a jersey number and I went to the pro shop to get it done today. Ended up walking out with a new pair of gloves too... I swear hockey gear is like crack or something.