Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's my minimum spend looking like on a set of used goalie pads? I think I'm going to switch to goalie next season because there is a dearth of netminders in my league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

shyduck posted:

If you want stuff that's not a million years old, probably like 1000-1200 bucks. I'd strongly consider buying the mask new. Also don't forget skates.

Yeah, I'm going to buy stuff piecemeal until I have a full set due to the expense. Based on the reading I've done, I definitely don't want to skip out on a good helmet. I'd rather pay $600 than get concussed and eating through a straw the rest of my life.

Does the stick curve make that much of a difference in a goalie stick? I'm going to play full right which hopefully won't impact gear availability too much.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have to roll on my compression socks much like a condom because they are so tight. However, they give me wheels so it succeeds in the cost/benefits analysis.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got smacked in the head by a clapper at a pickup game earlier this year while I was covering the point. I was working on getting my defensive zone positioning down as a winger and I'll be drat if the guy didn't wind up head high while I was in front of him.

The puck bent my cage and I'm pretty sure I would have been blinded if it hit me square in the face. The guy was apologetic about it, but I can't believe he wound up like that during a pickup game. Oh well, that's why we wear helmets I guess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dangerllama posted:

Help me understand this guy's shot. You were playing wing. And the defenseman hit you in the head with a clapper? Exactly where were you standing?

Honest to God, about 15 feet in front of him. The puck would have gone over the glass and into the netting. I don't know if it was his stick or he just had a bad release, but it came up high.

Edit: This was the opposing team's defenseman and I was backchecking, not one of my own guys.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I thought the official rule was that the puck had to pass beyond the blue line before the last part of the body.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I knock back a shot of vodka in the car and listen to power metal before games. That's the only nutrition I need.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

Think it was this one:

This would notably backfire with a griptac stick (I can't stand that poo poo).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bgreman posted:

Hahahaha! If I celebrate at all, it's always the "holster my stick" celebration but that strut really completes the effect.

Day 4 of Hockey Week is in the books and I am dying. Four hours on the ice at camp (two in the morning, two in the afternoon), working on stops, stickhandling, passing, and shooting. I got to see some tape review of my own starting and stopping, and it was pretty humbling, but at least I know what to work on. In between ice sessions, there were a few "class" sessions. The aforementioned tape review, a "sniper seminar" by the goalie coach teaching shooters the things all beer league goalies do and how to beat them, and a basic defensive positioning and skills "chalk talk" that focused on three fundamentals: 1) protect the inside of the ice 2) stop listening when people tell you to always keep two hands on your stick 3) show people to their backhand if you can. I liked this session much better than the first day, since it wasn't working on remedial skating fundamentals that I'm terrible at, but instead stick and puck skills that I'm slightly less terrible at.

One thing this camp has taught me is that a lot of the advice veteran beer leaguers I play with give isn't always the best. The coaches recommended not playing tight to your point man as a winger, but giving a little space when the puck was away from them and using good positioning to force the dman to do something worthless if he gets possession. They also poo-poo'd keeping two hands on your stick at all times, which people had yelled at me a lot to do last year until I made it a habit. Now I've got to get used to using a one-handed stick to take away ice and options from the opposing puck carrier.

After a brief three hour break, I then had a league game tonight. Very strange game. I had very little energy after so much skating earlier in the day, but I still managed to bag a hat trick. And we still managed to lose 11-5.

I'll just be over here lying on the floor dying.

Man I wish we offered this kind of class where I live. I take everything I hear in beer league with a grain of salt, but in the D league I play in, we did better when wingers covered the point men tighter in the D zone. Most of the time it was absolute chaos anyway, so we basically split everyone in to corners in the D zone and told them to just stick to their men. It seemed to work better after the shitshow that was games 1 and 2.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Snapped my Easton Stealth RS II last night. First shot during warmups.

It was my favorite stick too. :sigh:

Goondolences.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What exactly happens, do you feet just slide out from under you?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have the dubious honor of representing South Carolina in this thread... I'm native though. :911:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Duke Chin posted:

Okay I lied... I bought new skates this weekend.

Very loosely and tangentially related to that: Anybody wanna buy ~5-6 month old 8.5D Bauer Vapor X60's? Plenty of life, lil scuffed up but not bad, pretty much brand new waxed laces! :v:

Whatup fellow Bauer X60 buddy :respek: (even in size 8.5). What skate did you end up getting?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm having the weirdest issue where my skates are pinching the poo poo out of the outer part of my foot about 2 inches back from my toes. And this is 6 months after I've been skating with them. What kills me is that they didn't hurt like this before and now they do. I can't explain it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The refs in our no-check league will usually call interference if the first hit is a legal check or unintentional. Past that, you'll get tossed if you try and lay in hard hits to run somebody.

It's D league for beginners and a lot of people bump into each other by merit of their skating inexperience, so we usually don't get too many checking calls. We did have a guy run our goalie during a shootout one night and I think he got suspended two games for that poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

I've never spent more than $30 on a stick. I've gone with Crosby heel curve to whatever the gently caress and I know nothing about them other than I was told Crosby uses a pretty conservative curve. However I still find my shots going pretty high.

Is a better stick really a huge difference when you're past starting but not good? I ask because getting new skates was a massive difference. Right now I'm using a CCM 26k $40 75 flex with a Crosby blade whatever the poo poo.

Give the Stamkos curve a try if you're willing to look at a Bauer stick. It's a pretty neutral curve and I'm glad I chose it to learn how to shoot with. It's basically babbys first hockey stick for me (I've been playing for only 6 months).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What level of play is this league? I've never understood people who try and start poo poo during a rec league game. I understand that everybody wants to compete and play hard, but verbally abusing people and taking runs is stupid.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm sorry I just can't help chirping when people start taking dives in D league. I mean people fall down enough in the beginner league but some people just do whatever they can to try and milk it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Don't forget your number 99 jersey with your own last night on the back.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I played my first pickup game as a goalie last night and I'm loving addicted. I was letting shots in left and right, but it was so fun guarding the net. Got a couple of good saves though playing against some decent people.

gently caress I want to get back out there today!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

Bless your god drat heart

Honest to god I thought it was going to be an open practice session and it turned out to be a pickup game with like 25 people. I'm sure I was the awfullest fish, but everybody was just glad to have a second goalie I guess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My league runs three 17 minute periods with a running clock. We're required to keep 12 people on the team, but I've seen teams play with less than that before. I kind of wish they would do clock stoppages, but at least it keeps the game time down to one hour. This is especially relevant with the 10:15PM start times some nights...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish people would mix teams better in pickup games. I played in Atlanta last night and one side had nothing but college age kids and they were running circles around everyone else. Depending on the goal I was in, I either saw no action or got sniped bar down every time.
Unfortunately I did dishonor my name by flinching in front of a slapper from the point. Oh well, it was my second time playing goalie...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody planning on attending any pickup games in the Charlotte, NC area this Saturday? Me and a buddy of mine will be driving up there to play. You'll have a goalie to take slappers at (I'm training myself not to flinch).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fingers McGee posted:

The pineville icehouse usually has a satuday night pickup at 10:30. I've been lazy or busy and haven't been in months. I need to get off my rear end and go.

I'll definitely be doing the 10:30PM pickup and possibly the 5:30? stick time earlier that day.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I try and get in the beer league mindset before pickup games... For some reason I decided to act Canadian and drink Labatt.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pleads posted:

Canadians don't drink Labatt.

Do you get to play in the disco lights on the ice? That would be fun.

Nah that was actually the tail end of public skate. I got in a bit early and decided to have a beer before the game. Although it would have been super fun to play with the disco lights on and a glow puck...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fingers McGee posted:

Nice, my Saturday was a mess and I didn't make it out. How was the turn out? Last time I tried to go to pickup it was already filled up at 9:30.

Had 3 goalies and enough on the benches for two full lines on each side. I was going to do stick time earlier that day, but it already was filled up by the time we got there from Greenville. I'll probably come back up this coming weekend.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Looks like I'm signing up as a D League goalie tomorrow when fall league registration gets to open up. Cool thing is that we get to play at the same arena that the Swamp Rabbits (former Greenville Road Warriors) play at due to our ice rink being down for maintenance. Probably going to cost the team some games, but D league is all about learning how to play your position.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

communist kangaroo posted:

if anyone scores on you just pick a random defenseman from your team and glare at him for a good five seconds

Nah man, my go to is going to be "he was in the loving crease! Interference! *Nobody around*"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

First schedule just came out.

Annnnd I have to work during my debut. This is garbage.

Just cite emergency personal leave. "My family needs me".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

communist kangaroo posted:

I took a puck off the cage once where it would have hit me square in the teeth had I been wearing a visor.

I felt pretty cool afterwards but that was probably an effect of the cage-induced concussion

I took a slapper off the cage that would have been at the bridge of my nose. It bent the gently caress out of the cage but I was glad I wore it. Otherwise I would have probably lost vision.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

Well 45 minutes of power skating before my first game tonight

Jesus Christ I am so tired

We lost 5-3. I was -1 and one of the goals against was directly my fault for the shittiest clearing attempt I have ever seen.

Don't worry, just express to the amateur scouts that stat lines aren't everything and you bring a ton of "intagibles" to the team.

In all seriousness, you probably didn't do all that bad. Beer league is a fickle mistress.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

D C posted:

Thunderbird Arena at UBC, was an Olympic venue. Only the second time I've played there but its pretty nice, though its impossible to find the puck when it goes above board level, and its really bright on the ice.

gently caress me. The rink I normally play at has CURTAINS in the corners of the rink as locker rooms.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bradf0rd posted:

Have you looked into learning goaltending? :homebrew:

That poo poo's like a $2k spend minimum... even with used poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Like any beer league ever kicks ringers off.

I swear to god I've start pad stack tackling ringers on breakaways now in games. It sucks when your team is winning by a goal and then the ringer steps on the ice and proceeds to just burn everybody.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can anybody confirm/deny that Bauer Nexus (player) skates fit similarly to the Reactor (goalie) skates? I'm going to be playing as a forward for winter league since there were no spots for additional goalies, but when I skated on my Vapors, it felt like I was leaned way too far forward. The Reactor skates have me leaned back a bit more on my heel, which tends to give me more stability, however I get the feeling goalie skates are more stable since they are longer and flatter with the skate blade curve.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

More fallout from our mini-thunderdome game on Sunday night. Followed by a 9-3 spanking of a loss because we couldn't work together.

The guy who got the fighting major got three games. After taking a shower and clearing his head he realized he was being a dumbass and came around to apologize to a bunch of people.

On the other hand, #17 doesn't seem to know when to quit...or even have a head on his shoulders. The guy apparently decided to drink with a teammate in the parking lot after the game and wait to try to pounce on our goalie for, "being a bitch" and faking being hurt. This wasn't a smart move because the kid had is entire family with him and one of our other guys went with him to help carry stuff. It apparently devolved into him trying to fight our goalie, then shoving our goalie's dad and making threats at the mom and girlfriend before his teammate dragged him away telling him he was being a moron.

Kid was supposed to be our permanent goalie and the whole incident convinced him to just quit outright. Nobody on our team blames him for it, the whole thing was bush league. All the league director told us after the meeting was, "there will be consequences for El Pirates."

poo poo how old is your goalie? That's hosed up that he feels like he has to quit on the spot. You should kick that dude off the team and get your goalie back.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been getting progressively better as a winger the whole season, but I've yet to score any goals :( My teammates commented much I had improved since the first game after we played last night and I had a few good looks out of some rebounds, but just couldn't get anything in. Scoring is apparently hard.

Strangely I'm really strong in the D zone and neutral zone when it comes to forcing turnovers and taking up time and space from other players, so I guess that's my contribution to the team effort! Maybe I should switch over to defense for a game or two. Hell it can't hurt, I'm in D league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay, so I got a shot on goal last night and blocked a shot in the defensive zone. I got on a line with a really good center who explained a lot of things for me playing left wing. We had a pretty good tandem going where I would forecheck hard after a dump in and force the defense to play it up on the boards where my center would then pick up the puck and keep it in the zone. Pretty basic beer league stuff but it seemed to work since we got a 5-2 victory.

Staying wide and forechecking deep as a wing seems to be the concept that I was missing when I started out this season. I'm feeling a lot better about my play now.