Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey hockey thread, I've been thinking about getting into this hockey thing and was wondering if there's a more current list of suggested brands/model of gear? I'm sure the list in the OP still applies, but I was wondering if there are better deals to be found now that those models are rather old.

Also do the Vapor X40s still apply as a good skate for someone just getting into it? There are a few other Vapor models available now and the X40s have dropped to $100 from the $270 in the OP. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

This made me think of the "gently caress!" moments being discussed recently. God drat it, Vinny:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

sellouts posted:

Up to $500 is reimbursed every year from my employer, but I am taxed on that money.

So basically 1 season. Better than nothing I guess

Wait wait wait. Your employer pays you to play hockey? Where you workin?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

So I need to get some pants and I think I've narrowed it down to either Reebok 16K or Tackla 2440. Any one have any experience with either of those or suggestions either way? I'm a newbie so I'm open to feedback.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Is anyone from Raleigh that plays at Ice Plex? I'm bad and trying to get into everything (Lower C South here I come) and was curious if there are any locals in the thread.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

We have BC, Adv C, Int C, Lower C North, Lower C West, Lower C South; this is in order of best to worst.

Why do they need to make it that stupid? No idea.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Verman posted:

Your username should be changed from Hank to Eric Lindross.

He's like 8 or 9 concussions short for that.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

I know we had some jock chat a few pages ago but does anyone else have a pair of Shock Doctor 362s? I just got a pair and has to take them off after about 30 seconds. The cup does not work.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Habibi posted:

I got the 280 a few months back (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shock-doctor-ultra-hockey-jock-280.html), and it is loving awesome - but yeah, the actual cup that came with it is not very comfortable, so I replaced it with the cup from my old loose Reebok jock shorts.

I'll have to try that. Thanks!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

What is wrong with my feet, please advise.

I've been skating in a ratty old pair of Vapor XIVs that I bought at PIAS a few months ago. They're 8EE and were a bit tight when I first got them but now fit pretty well. I went to try on some new skates today; Supremes in 8D were painful on the top of my foot and up near the toe cap, but Vapor X70 in 8D first like a glove.

That said, X70 seems like a solid skate from everything I'm seeing online. Is it worth moving up to the X80/90 for longevity, or is there not a huge gain for the cost upgrade over the X70?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Habibi posted:

There's nothing wrong with them. The three Bauer lines fit very differently (Vapor is super tight and too narrow for me, Supremes fit great) for different types of feet. The jump from x70 to 80/90 is probably significant, since it takes you from a lower tier to a mid/mid-high tier (I k ow that difference was pretty notable for my Supreme.8s. That said, if you wait about a month, you'll see clearance sales on this year's models start popping up, as next year's inventory begins to roll in, and you could probably save $100-200 on an x80/90 skate. I think the 2013 Supreme .8s retailed for close to $400 (not unlike the x80s), and I bought them early last April for right around $200. A month probably won't make much of a difference to you in the meantime, but getting that one or two models up skate for the same or cheaper price as you could get an x70 now is likely to make a big difference for you long term.

Good point. My concern is that I'll wait too long and miss out. Everywhere online seems to have them marked down at about 20% under MSRP. I'll keep my eyes open!

Verman posted:

8ee are wide and 8d are standard (or narrow) so you tried on the narrower size than you currently have. Also skates feel different when baked as they mold around your feet.

Right, exactly. To me it just funny that 8EE in old Vapors would fit, while new Supremes in 8D don't at all and new Vapors in 8D fit like a glove although they're supposed to be the narrowest Bauer line.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

I'm new to playing hockey and I have what will be a few quick questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for shin split-style pain after skating for a bit? I just ordered a few compression sleeves so see if that helps and I'll do being some toe lifts to help with that.

Secondly, I'm fairly short (5'9", probably just about 5' to chin without shoes) and was wondering if it would be necessarily a bad idea to get an intermediate stick? Even with lower flex seniors, they're pretty stiff once I cut those 5-ish inches off. I'd also like to add I'm pretty stocky/chunky at right around 200lbs, so I'm worried a 60 flex intermediate stick will break in half immediately.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Chemmy posted:

You'll be fine with an intermediate stick. They make them in "regular" 77 flex, but if you're a beginner I think you're handicapping yourself by not going as soft as possible.

xzzy posted:

The first thing to try is don't lace as tightly, especially the eyelets on top of the foot. Skates don't really need to be vice grip tight. Lace em as loose as you can for a skate and see if it helps, then slowly experiment with tightening until it returns or you find a sweet spot.

Thanks for tips, guys. I'll pick up a whippy, little kid stick next time I'm out, and will try less of a vice grip at the top of my skates.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Took a wrister off the wrist last night, didn't feel great but was totally worth it. The team I'm on isn't great, we're basically the Sandlot team minus anyone good; it's a bunch of people who are either new to the league or haven't played before. So far we're 0-2 with 1 GF and 15 GA.

That said I'm having fun, so gently caress it.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

shyduck posted:

I come forth to you as a convert to the grippy hockey stick dark side.

I picked up a Bauer X90 stick on clearance, and it felt quite good. I'm a fan.

I'm a newbie but currently hate grippy sticks. Will this eventually change? It seems that the majority of sticks available in stock places are grip'd.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

Oh boy...

I pulled the trigger on a brand new set of equipment this week, and I'm switching from goalie to skating out. This should be interesting... I'm looking at building/buying a practice pad for stick handling but god drat to the ready made kits cost a ton. Does anyone know the type of material used for those plastic (or serial number) roll up pads so i can buy it at a hardware store on the cheap? Thanks

Also, wasn't there a google doc of SA hockey players and locations?

I think Home Depot (not Lowes) had a really big melamine board that you can spray with pledge for a slicker surface. I looked a while ago and all of the reviews say it's like a huge cheap whiteboard ($20). Hope you can find it.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Was there a Superfeet discussion in the last dozen pages or so? I seem to be remembering one but didn't see it.

I got a pair of Vapor X90s recently and am curious about if I should invest in them. Anyone have any thoughts?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

sellouts posted:

Are your feet uncomfortable?

I haven't skated in them enough to notice any discomfort. Is this pretty much what it comes down to? "Don't fix what ain't broke?" I'm seeing a lot of stuff online about foot rotation and things like that.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

sellouts posted:

That's awesome. Definitely not the case with all of them but good to know the ones that can.

16 18 and 20k too. I got a pair of 16s off hockey monkey for super cheap, since Rbk is becoming CCM.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

D C posted:

What size ice do you usually play on?

Olympic ice is the one you should be worried about.

Yuuuup. We play on Olympic and had two subs last week. The other team probably had fifteen people total and did a full change at every stoppage. That was fun. 40+ minutes TOI on Olympic kicks your rear end.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

My dad is going to check the crap out of me

Vids please.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Brettbot posted:

So my wife and I are taking a road trip to North Carolina (Raleigh to be exact) and I'm thinking of bringing skates/helmet/gloves/stick and trying to hit a stick & puck while we're there. Doing a quick Google, it looks like Raleigh Ice Plex might be my best bet? Cary or Garner Ice House lets you go light for s&p only, so those are options, but Raleigh Center Ice says they always require full gear. Can anyone recommend one over the others?

In the end it might come down to what's available when, since we have a lot of stuff/driving planned, but I figured you guys would have an idea at least. I really don't want to go two whole weeks without a single skate. :shepface:

I've only been to Ice Plex and Cary, but I'd definitely recommend Ice Plex. Ice Plex has olympic sized ice and I've always had a better experience there than anywhere else. That's where I go to LTP and play in my league.

That said, I'm not too sure about who needs full gear and what not.

Fake edit: Helmet, stick, gloves: http://www.iceplex.com/hockey_stickandpuck.htm

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

shyduck posted:

Do you use these regularly? Pros/cons? I keep wanting to get a pair but I'm constantly on the fence about it.

Can someone explain these gloves? What's special about them? Goat leather?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I really wish our league did the hybrid icing they do in the NHL. I like to chase down cleared pucks, and I usually get there first, but after it's 6 inches over the goal line with their D-man 15 feet behind me.

I agree with this. USA Hockey icing is a pain in the rear end compared to NHL icing.

I especially hate how the defending goalie is exempt from all icing rules. If Team A ices the puck and Goalie B could play it but makes an effort to not play it, it's icing.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

Is there any rec league that forbids line changes? Every rink I know of in my area allows changes on an icing.

The only time we can't change is during a stoppage when shorthanded.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

3 out of 4 rinks I frequent have draft beer. As far as I know only one has pinball, though.

The rink I play at has pinball (LOTR pinball, which is one of the best pinballs) but only a vending machine. With no beer.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Last April I had to stop playing because of an ankle injury that I let go too long (don't ever do this). Some of you probably already know the gory details, cuz I posted about it here.

Last August I had some serious surgery to repair a torn posterior tibial tendon in my left ankle and the collapsed arch in my foot that resulted from the tendon tear. The healing process was a nightmare and drove me mad most days. I now have two titanium pins in my heel and 3 gnarly surgical scars. The goal (and the reason I put myself through this) was always to resume playing. Note: my coworkers thought I was insane.

Fast-forward to three weeks ago. My regular league was looking for some extra players to fill out roster spots for a tournament this weekend. I had not played -- or even done any kind of hard-core full gear skating or stick-n-puck -- since I stopped playing last year; just a bunch of low-impact public sessions. So naturally I said, "Sure! Count me in!"

4 games in 3 days (with only one game the week prior as a warm-up for the tourney) is the most intense rehab I can think of.

Silver, y'all. All things considered, I'll take it.

Very cool. I'm an RTP guy as well. Do you typically play in Wake Forest? I'm relatively new but play at IcePlex.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

No, I mostly play in Cary. I work part-time at RCI on the weekends.

I need to start going to Cary s&p on Mondays. I hate that tiny ice, though.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

I've been playing hockey for a few months and I'm thinking I need to replace my cheap rear end Graf G15 gloves. A lot of model are on clearance right now: Easton Mako, Mako M5, Sealth RS II, the higher end Bauer Supremes (TotalONE, One.8), Reebok 26/28/30k, and CCM CL500. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these? Would I be stupid to buy these sight-unseen online?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

DeNofa posted:

I've been playing hockey for a few months and I'm thinking I need to replace my cheap rear end Graf G15 gloves. A lot of model are on clearance right now: Easton Mako, Mako M5, Sealth RS II, the higher end Bauer Supremes (TotalONE, One.8), Reebok 26/28/30k, and CCM CL500. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these? Would I be stupid to buy these sight-unseen online?

To follow up on this: went to LHS, hate Easton, hate Bauer, Reebok is unknown, love CCM. I tried the new Tacks 6052 and they're pretty awesome. HockeyMonkey has both the 6052 ($99) and CL500 (was $189, now $97) and I'm unsure as to what I want to go with. I got to try on the Tacks Ultra which replaced the CL500 and I like those just fine. Would it make sense to get last year's top model over this years second model if they're the same price?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I have the dubious honor of representing South Carolina in this thread... I'm native though. :911:

Me and another guy (forgot his username) are representing the frozen North (Carolina)!!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

So the knee cup on my shinguards are cracked are cracked down the middle. The plastic and foam is all still there, but has a bit of give to it. Should I start looking for shinguards immediately to avoid losing my kneecaps, or is this something pretty common?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

ALRIGHT FINE I will try to save my knee caps from destruction. Thanks for talking some sense in to me.

I have little legs so I'll probably have to stick with 13 or 14. Thanks though!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

calandryll posted:

Found out that I have a chance to play after a Flyers game. Only downside is I have to watch the Flyers play :negative:

I'm jealous and you also hurt my feelings :(

That said I'd have the same sort of feelings if I had a similar opportunity with the Canes.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

calandryll posted:

Entire placed booed every time Crosby came near the puck.

As they should have

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Hell, if you've got the money, you could play with (retired) Canes: Annual Alumni Game

I've got a friend who played in the first one.

I play at Ice Plex so the last thing I want to do is pay more money to play with more old guys.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Raleigh/Central NC hockey goons: Where do/would you go to get properly fitted for skates? I need a new pair.

I don't know if anywhere is good :( I hate Five Hole (Cary) but they have a lot of different brand and model options. The kids there are kind of dick-ish when they start to smell you're just there to try and not buy.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone have any experience with the new Easton Stealth 444 and 888 protective? My LHS has it and there's literally no info online aside from one YouTube video. Looking at shins specifically.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

I know we have this conversation every couple of pages so sorry in advance :(

I wear Vapors and I really enjoy the fit but recently the insoles have been giving me grief. My feet are pretty flat and the insole arch is a bit much for me. Does anyone know which insoles are getting good for flat footed people? I know Superfeet yellow are popular but they seem to have a decent amount of arch. Anyone with similar feet and recommendations?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

My Silver team won the championship tonight and it was probably one of the best games I've ever been a part of. It was back and forth all night and we were tied 2-2 going into the third. They scored an early one in the third and we were playing from behind 3-2 for the rest of the game. We pulled the goalie with 90 seconds left, had to put him back in for a defensive-zone faceoff, then pulled him again. With a minute left, I brought the puck in down on the right-side and sniped the top corner to tie it up with a minute left in the game. I totes did a knee-slide celly.

We went into a 5-minute sudden-death OT and won it a couple minutes in on a garbage rebound goal.

gently caress

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61JSwOOUCYg

Nice snipe man! Feels gooood. You need to do the "X/A/Superman" celly NHL 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xuwWb7FZc&t=23s

Guessing that's a GoPro camera you're filming with, do you use a suction cup mount to mount it to the glass?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

Wait people make 3/4ths size regulation size ice and make you all play the hockeys on it??? I mean, The Hockey Prison™ up here is 3/4ths size but that's only ever used for S&P, drop in and rent-a-practice... never for games as far as I know... Wow.

Dear sellouts: You won't hear me bitch about Seattle ice again.

I only play on Olympic ice! :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

D C posted:

Did you throw batteries at it?

I think snowballs are reserved for Santa and other religious-y figures. The Phanatic does not discriminate so he was there to dump popcorn on el Popa.