Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I bought a melamine board from Home Depot for a shooting board, it works pretty good so far. The only difficult thing is finding a sheet that is high gloss, mine is really porous so I have to spend a lot of time buffing in wax to keep it slick.

I bought a larger piece for a Slide Board to practice on but haven't had the chance to put it all together yet. I'll put up how it goes when I get it finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

I just got my Yellow Superfeet inserts last week, and done two skating lessons with them in. Two lessons, about an hour each, and my feet still hurt the same way they did before. The inside of my feet, along the curve of my feet ache like hell whenever I do any kind of S cut or maneuver along the same.

Is it just getting used to using that kind of muscle? Or maybe the insoles don't make enough difference and I need a different kind. I'm giving the yellow superfeet a time to break in, but in the lessons my feet absolutely kill me by the end from all the exercises in my lessons.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Green Submarine posted:

That has happened to me because the outside sides of my feet bulge out freakishly.

I'd guess one of two things:

Your skates might be too narrow. If you can identify pressure points on the side of your foot, mark them and have a skate shop punch them out.

It can also happen if you over-tighten your laces across the top of your foot. You don't want your feet floating, but you don't want them pinched, either. Try loosening the tension around the 5th or 6th eyelet.

[Edit:] Wait, you're not talking about your arches, are you? Further up in your foot?

It's the entire side of my feet, on the inside edge so to speak. Just skating forward there is no issue, but for the lessons I am taking everything revolves around doing S cuts forward and backwards and it's hurting pretty bad. I'll try to loosen up the middle of my skates some when I go to Rec Skate this weekend.

I'm using cheap Bauer X-15s I got when I was first learning how to skate, so it's probably not even worth cutting out the pressure points.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Hi all!
Just started playing near the beginning of this year, in the rookie/beginner league here. I've been taking learn to skate group lessons since mid last year, but just started taking it a lot more seriously when I joined a team. My edge work feels fairly decent, and I can crossover forward and back, do transitions and stuff, but without a deep knee bend or a lot of power.

My skating coaches keep telling me I'm getting a lot faster, but my knee bend (read as complete lack thereof) is absolutely killing me. I've been doing a lot more bulgarian split squats and wallsits the last few weeks. I've noticed that my strength is getting better and I can wallsit longer, I just hit the minute 30 second mark, or do more reps of squats. Unfortunately as soon as I'm on the ice and try to stay in a good hockey stance I can't do it more than a few seconds.

I noticed recently a lot of content around shin angle instead of just knee bend, and I can just barely get my knees past my toes so I think my ankle mobility is really screwing me up and part of why I can't maintain a good hockey stance for any time. As well as needing to continue growing in strength. I just found some ankle dorsiflexion exercises from hockey trainings youtube channel so hopefully that will help.

The last game I played I tried to really focus on pushing my knees forward and my shins were so sore and tired by the end so there is definitely some lacking strength there as well.

It's frustrating but I'm trying to play past it, when I hear skating coaches or advice from my team captain 'Just Bend Your Knees More'. Like I'm trying, if it was that easy I would be.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

I started brewing beer again, so I could be the cool guy at the rink who brings homebrew to the games instead of 'The worst player on the team' and all my games since have been at 11-11:30 on a Tuesday and nobody wants to drink a beer afterwards so it's all sitting in my fridge.

Hockey wise I started playing defense and while my teammates may hate me, it feels really good for my hockey development. I am involved in the plays a lot more, have the puck on my stick more and required to make more passes on the breakout. I'm involved a lot more than playing winger and covering a D man nobody passes to. I wanted to wait to play D until I could skate and play better but I'm glad the chips fell where they did and we had an opening.