Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Try these every day for a week before your game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85QKyWvrbI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

EvilTwig posted:

Had a guy on my team who wears one of those old school helmets catch a high stick last night, it shattered into about a billion pieces.

Like one of those JOFA helmets?

Anyway, this is why there's an expiration date on the helmets and baby carseats. Impact foam, plastics, they all get dried out or damaged over time.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I've tracked down some Mako II skates for about 400$ Canadian, and the fit seems really really nice, except for the side of my big toe mound, and a bit on the inner arch of my foot. The skates have not been baked yet. I left the store without them because of the foot pain, but later when I read about fitment online, someone wrote that Mako skates are particular in that they mold a lot more than other moldable skates.

Is this true? Also for 400$, would I be just better off looking for a more modern pair of skates that would have a better fit from the get go? I could see myself go a bit higher than that budget wise if the fit was perfect.
I'm coming from an old Reebok 5K skates that are giving me inner arch pain, and can't wait to get a new pair of skates.

EDIT: Also how hard/bad would it be to mold the skates again if I'm not happy with the results?

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 10, 2017

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Yeah it's what I was fearing, I guess I will wait until July to see what comes of the VH/True merger (they apparently have a skate product hitting the retail shelves), and also maybe see how I fit into other skates (or save up another 400 bucks for VH).

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
yeah that's loving bullshit, and you don't need that frustration.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
So in my search of new skates, I've tried on a bunch of brands at a couple of stores, and the CCM Tacks seem the best with my collapsing arches.

What was odd though was that although one store had 5092 and 6092 (which is about the range that I'm looking for), the other had something called CCM Tacks Classic Pro (not this store, but description wise http://sportsexcellence.com/product/ccm-tacks-classic-pro-skates/) which from the description shows that it's somewhere in between. But actually cheaper than the 5092's price. They also had the Classic Pro+, which is a grade higher, but alas not in my size.

Anyone else seen these Classic Pros? All signs point to a good deal, I might pick them up tomorrow if there's no red flags.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Hockey Puke Story:
For the last few years, we started bringing a Puke bucket to the first game of the season, as we were always out of shape over the summer, and it took us at least a couple of games to get our bodies back used to the intensity and exhaustion.

Every year I tell myself to take it slow, but then I backcheck hard once and it's all over.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Anyone else have issues with Navicular bone pain?

If so, how did you guys resolve it short of getting VH skates?

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

xzzy posted:

Don't lace so tightly.

I've tried =(

The skate itself is newly baked CCM 5092, and unfortunately I like my skates fairly tight.
It's just that one spot that kills me only on my left foot, and no, I've not taken any shots off it.

Can I punch out these skates? If my LHS can't do it, should I try spot heating it, and working it out myself?
I've just signed up for a team over the summer, and I'm getting pretty desperate to find a solution.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Oh the pain is at the side of my foot below my ankle bone.
Just below the 4th or 5th inside eyelet

Sorry I had meant Accessory Navicular Bone Pain.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I grew up learning to skate on speed skates for 3 years (it's the reason I am able to turn left much better than my right).
Then I've played ~8 years in my youth, stopped for long while, and now I've been back on for about 5.

I've never had a comfortable hockey boot.
My last pairs were Reebok 5K pumps that were ok, the lace locks and the pumps helped, but they flexed so much.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

a mysterious cloak posted:

Don't know if you've looked into it, but you can have the accessory navicular removed, it's not an uncommon procedure. But I mean, if you can fix it with a gel pad, more power to you!

https://www.anklefootmd.com/accessory-navicular-removal-surgical-process/
I could not be out for that long.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Don't cook your own skates. Try a podiatrist as well - he may be able to customize your insole to support it better.

I have the exact same issue and I need to get my skates punched every time, I also put blister pads on it if it gets aggravated to give it a bit more cushioning.

This - it's totally manageable if it's just skate irritation. Consider changing your insoles too. I really liked the Bauer Speedplates that came in my new ones for feel and the pitch (how much lean) they put me at but they dug right into my ANB so I had to switch.

How long ago did you start skating again? My feet took most of a season of skating daily to toughen back up from how soft they'd been after not skating much for 10 years or so

Yeah I've got Speedplates in now, and I think it's helping a bit actually.
Anyway I took the skate back to the shop to have it punched, it's got a day turn around so I'll see when it's ready.
I'm really hoping this solves it, then I'll actually be able to shop for skates online or on clearance like a normal person and then get it punched.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Verman posted:

Oh god. XZZY needs new skates.

Winter is coming.

I'm new here, please explain.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Used to have a an Old Cooper bag with compartments which served me well. It finally fell apart, so I got a Warrior bag with only inner compartments.
I love the material that it's made with, and I think it will last me a fair bit, but kinda miss the organization.

I do recommend the Warrior Bag if you could live without the external divisions, but I myself would consider that Pacific Rink bag once this one goes or something similar to it.

EDIT: Welp nvm, the Pacific Rink bag only has internal compartments.

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 20, 2017

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
So I got my skates back, my next time out is on Tuesday night, so I'll see if punching the boot worked.

I put it on just to see and it certainly feels much better standing up, but when I load up one side, my right skate feels no pain, whereas the left side I can still feel it a little bit, almost as if the boot punch was a bit high. But again, much better than before.

I'm going to wait until I skate to see, but has anyone gotten two punches near each other? Is that even a possibility? I truly think it will work itself out, but was just wondering.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Finally fixed my skates, my LHS punched them but missed by a bit on my left ones.

I got a bit frustrated, and used my heat gun and a bit of a dowel to expand the punch ever so slightly, and now for the first time in my life, my feet don't hurt when I lace up my skates.

I'm super duper excited for my game tonight.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
For us, whatever you brought that wasn't drank would be picked up by the guy who's bringing the next round, and added to whatever he brought next.
Somehow we then started a tradition of getting a different brand than the leftovers so that we'd have a variety (esp if it was a light leftover, then we'd get normal, and vice versa).

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Verman posted:

I can't stand when guys bring in craft IPAs that are brutally hoppy right after hockey. I enjoy craft beer but after hockey I need water, but I want beer ... so give me something relatively light.

So much this, it's not the time to impress people of your knowledge of obscure beer. I need a light beer that I can drink, while talking about the game, and how much fun it was.

The Beer in Beer League is a supportive cast to the fellowship.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Actually that reminds me of a rink that I used to play at had a no outside beers allowed policy, but it was cool because after the game they had a guy with a cooler that came in there locker room and sold tall cans and Gatorade at a pretty decent price.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

doctor 7 posted:

Sadly I am in Canada but that's cool because they ship to Canada on another website, wicked.

I thought about ordering, but saw that it was 40$ shipping on an 80$ stick.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I have CCM equivalent and they can be baked! And spot heated/punched!

Let me know if you have any questions on them after you get them baked to your feet. Hopefully that solves it. Mine needed further punching.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got chirped for wearing a mouthguard with a cage last night. Huh, that's a new one.

Chirp back "What are you, an anti-dentite?"

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
5D is great if everyone can play both Left and Right.
Whomever is the closest side to the bench is the next to switch, and whoever comes on takes the furthest side, as the far D then transitions to the close side.

Then once you get comfortable with that, the next guy to switch is the guy who pinches/skates up/Subbans it, and the guy who just came on plays conservative/cover, or the reverse if you guys are young.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

z0331 posted:

Old ref last night yelled at both teams after the game to keep our helmets on until we were off the ice. He got visibly angry when people didn't immediately put their helmets back on because I don't think a bunch of grown men could fathom being yelled at about that.

No reason why you shouldn't keep your helmets on until you get off the ice (it only takes one guy to step on an errant puck near the boards, which I've seen before a handful of times), it's a little safety precaution like not getting on the ice before at least one Zamboni door has closed.

Yelling at people may not be the best way to get a positive reaction however.

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 7, 2019

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

sellouts posted:

rather than skating to center ice to congratulate a goalie and start handshakes, instead they skate within millimeters of the boards in the most inefficient direction possible.

Two questions:
1- How do you exit the ice without getting near the boards?
2- You've never seen anyone step on a puck during practice, warm ups, or leaving?

I mean it doesn't even have to be a puck, some poorly managed ice have terribly ice pebble ring near the exit/Zamboni doors. Like I said, yelling's probably not the right way to convey the message.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

bewbies posted:

[...] first coach who had us take off our helmets for the handshake line because he thought that was more respectful or something

That's actually cool, in my coach growing up suggested to take off our glove and to actually go for a handshake/low-five.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I reread and see how when I wrote about stepping on pucks in parenthesis that you may have thought that I meant seeing people stepping on pucks with the helmets off while exiting, this is not what I meant (English is not my only language so I apologize if I'm not explaining properly). And what I meant by boards also is all around, I've seen kids (CanSkate/IP/Adult Learning) lose their balance near exit boards especially when choppy and hit their heads (with the helmets mind you) on the side, although some rinks have bench boards on the exit side so you can leave that way too. I didn't mean to anger you, obviously everyone assumes their own risk when they play, but at least in a few major regions in Canada, the terms and conditions of the city rink used is that everyone who steps on the ice needs to keep their helmet on during a game, even volunteers/medic will need to put on a helmet to step foot. I don't give a care too much either way, I've wrote more than I wanted to, and I'm not taking a side.

All I wanted to say is that,
1- It doesn't take much effort to keep your helmet on until you leave especially if those are the rink rules
2- No one should have yelled

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

sellouts posted:

Any time I try to carry more than my sticks off the ice I feel like Navin Johnson in the bathrobe carrying my prized possessions.

Two sticks and water, and sometimes pucks or the locker room key (which means I have to have one glove in my armpits).

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

New twigs have arrived! :dance:
[...]

The Team Pro-Stock Supertacks 2.0 are what I currently use now and they are one of the best sticks I've ever played with. Bear in mind that the Team Pro-Stock are supposedly Low Kick as opposed to their Retail counterparts.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

calandryll posted:

I bought a Sparx with some Christmas money and definitely awesome. Was playing around with hollows, between 1/2 and 5/8. Not sure which one I like but hell maybe I'll get a different hollow to play around with.

Have you tried their FIRE hollows? I've recently watched their vid on Flat Bottom sharpens, and now I understand why it worked for some and not others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctu0S4R6dMM

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I feel like it's a bell curve, where the players who are really good and really bad are the least likely to be shitheads, but the players who peaked in high school have the highest chance of being assholes.

The league that I used to play at has 12 divisions, and 4-9 are to be avoided because of poo poo like this. That's not to say that you still get some idiots ruining your night at least one game a year in the other divisions. HeyStripes, the guy on youtube sometimes covers the league and you can see some tomfoolery happen there (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDys7LRp0Xbz3ceUEn6XgDQ).

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
The new fishbowl from CCM's supposed to be really good, I'm hesitant to try it for now though.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
It sucks but I don't think I'll be signing up my kids for Hockey this season.
The area that I'm at is not hit too bad, but still not worth the risk to them or others.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I would also maybe suggest getting a cheap P92 to see if you're progressing in the right direction, and also it's the acceleration not the overall speed that helps lift the puck.

If I could go back in time though and change the curve that I got good with, it'd be the P88.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

prom candy posted:

I started playing a VR boxing game and doing three 2-minute rounds put me on my rear end. But I'm sure doing 8-10 90-second shifts when I'm back at hockey will be no problem...

One thing I'm wondering about VR Boxing is if I'm punching the air and there's nothing to stop the punch, am I potentially messing up my rotator cuff/other joints?

It'd be cool if I could incorporate a bag to punch against maybe.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Bauer Vapor 1X knee guards are touted to be the best, but Vapor X900 (which is drastically different) is cheap and decent if the level of play is a bit lower.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I’m supplied a set of sticks by CCM every so often, and I still have a batch of FT2 they’ve given me just a handfuls of games before COVID happened. They feel amazing and even better than the SuperTacks 2.0 that I was using before that. I won’t be getting the FT3 any time soon, but I’ve heard they’ve somehow improved on the FT2 which I can’t imagine.

If I was spending my own money though I’d get an STX RX3, or if you can find an FT2 on clearance.

I was an Easton guy before they stopped making sticks :(

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 31, 2021

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
What I've found odd is that for me 65 to 75 seems like a bigger jump than 75 to 85.
Prob means that I should be using a lower flex or get stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

V for Vegans posted:

[...] Had a game the other night where a dude was on the ice for 30 minutes straight and finally changed with 55 seconds left in the game.

We usually kick those guys out after a warning.
Unless we have like 2 subs, then it's somehow appreciated.