Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I used to get lots of pain skating with bad skates ($50 CCM crap from 15 years ago). Then I got some decent Mission skates instead along with practice and it pretty much went away. I also tighten my laces as much as possible to prevent my feet from pronating (much worse on skates than shoes) too much and my ankles rolling and I never have any problem with lace bite or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hockey is hard. I regularly score like 2 goals/4 points a game in ball hockey and I've scored 1 goal (a 10 cm tap in) in the last 4 years of playing ice hockey. It is sad.

I probably have more goals in ball hockey than shots on goal in ice.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Benson Cunningham posted:

Do you play defense?

If you play forward, get in front of the net and get rebounds. I played in a C league with guys who could skate circles around me during their 15+ minute shifts and I still managed to get a bunch of goals just picking up trash.

I play forward, yes.

I've tried hanging around for rebounds and tip-ins without much success. I play in non-contact leagues where non-contact means it is totally okay for defensemen to flatten you if you're within 10 metres of the crease and the puck is somewhere in the offensive zone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

coldwind posted:

Maybe you play in a no-check league, but there's no such thing as a non-contact league.

League Rulebook posted:

Penalties:
Unsportsmanlike play WILL NOT be tolerated. This is a fun, non-contact league.
Incidental contact can often not be avoided and so it will be tolerated to a degree, but any body checking of any kind will result in an unsportsmanlike penalty and potentially a misconduct (referees discretion).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

coldwind posted:

So...basically it's not a non-contact league, it's a non-checking league. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

You edited out the two parts where it said it's a non-contact league and also the part where it says only incidental contact is tolerated so I'm not sure why you insist on this pedantic nonsense.

Every league I've played in has had similar rules, and in practice they all tolerated bodychecking near the crease and only ever called bodychecking near the boards. I suspect the refs are just too lazy to do anything about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

sellouts posted:

Yeah, I don't care what your rulebook says (and quoting it is pretty drat pedantic there mr kettle), there's still no such thing as a no-contact league. That's not how hockey works. Hell, that's not how basketball works.

And referees don't call every penalty that happens during a game despite the rule book defining what a penalty is! They do this because they would get too tired skating around with their arms in the air for 90 minutes a game.

EDIT: Rec league officials aren't pros but they in general actually give a poo poo, go through years of recurrent training, commit more time and care about and love hockey as much or more than players, and do their best while having really bad days like the rest of us do. But yeah, players know exactly what happens and are always right and superior. That attitude is a great reminder why I stopped officiating a long time ago.

Cool, thanks for that no true Scotsman argument and the irrelevant rant about refereeing. The leagues I play in actually are fairly clean and non-incidental contact free, other than the unnecessary tolerance for contact around the net which is not in the rulebook. If this upsets your sensibilities then feel free to talk to someone else about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

sellouts posted:

Exxon did you play bantam and midget hockey growing up?

No I didn't, I only started playing ice hockey when I was 20. But most of the skaters in the tougher league I play in did start at an early age. Some went all the way to junior A and a few supposedly played in the OHL at one point.

Battles for position are one thing, sure. You can shove over a guy you're standing next to jostling for position and nobody will bat an eye, but actually skating over to push someone in the crease out of the way is bodychecking. Sometimes these are solid cross-checks too. They almost always get overlooked as long as they're near enough to the crease that it's just 'protecting your goalie' or whatever nonsense.

It's also completely unnecessary because if someone's going to lose their balance on a modest bodycheck then a stick lift is likely just as easy and effective.

Also for the record there isn't much yelling or even talking to refs in either league I play in. Most people are polite. One league had a terrible ref who refused to call anything, not even obvious icings or offsides, but he hasn't reappeared. Other than that they do their jobs.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 8, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

sellouts posted:

I'm not trying to imply that you're not a good player or experienced or knowledgable of the rulebook or whatever other insulting thing you could possibly infer; I just know that to me the difference between the physical levels and intentions during high school / midget hockey (where it's all about the big check because you gotta impress dumb girls) and beer league are different. It's still hard for me to do certain things in beer league because I have the instinct that I'm going to (and should) get killed when in reality they won't lay the body check when they could.

I am a terrible hockey player, which is all the more reason why there is no need to get overly physical in front of the net. Like you said, it doesn't take all that much to push someone out of the crease, so skating over and giving a solid shove/elbow/cross-check is totally unnecessary.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Non-contact hockey would be the worst. Literally the worst.

Getting shoved around while generally being a screening dickhead in front of the goalie is the best. If refs called everything in the crease, games would take 5 hours to play.

I'm not sure why you think that because the ball hockey league I play in (actually the same organizers as ice hockey and some of the same players) is self-refereed, has a crease rule that nobody ever plays with and yet there is no epidemic of Sean Avery's standing in front of goalies waving their sticks around. There are far fewer scrums in front of the net and fewer people trying to screen and tip shots in. Mostly I think it's because you're much better off hanging around outside of the crease waiting for a pass or a rebound than standing with your back to the net, although the lack of protective equipment might have something to do with it too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

coldwind posted:

You seem to play a lot of ball and not so much ice and you've admitted you're a bad hockey player, so I would guess you're not a great skater. It honestly sounds like why you're really getting flattened is you don't have enough balance/strength on your skates to withstand getting pushed out of the crease/around-the-crease-area. That shouldn't be a penalty. That should be motivation for you to get better at skating.

Maybe I'm/we're underestimating how hard you're getting hit, but your continued insistence that you play in a "non-contact" league indicates to me you don't quite understand what level of contact is allowed when you play ice hockey.

I'm a slightly below average skater. There are many better skaters and certainly slower ones too. It's more stickhandling, receiving passes and general hockey sense that's an issue.

So just for the record, are you cool with shoving people out of the way if they're standing off the side of the crease waiting for a pass or a rebound? How about standing in the low slot while play is on the side boards or behind the net? How far out does your kill-zone extend past, say, the distance at which your goalie could deliver a solid slash to the calf?

I mean if you answer yes to the first two questions and more than 5 metres to the last one then great, I guess we have different definitions of what no bodychecking means and we can agree to disagree and move on. I don't see how that actually makes for a better game. I can't even think of a single game off the top of my head where someone standing in the crease screening the goalie caused a major issue. Unreasonably hard checks against the boards, slashing/high-sticking, running the goalie, sure.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 9, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What you're describing sounds like incidental contact, though. I mean the fact that you were going for the puck already makes it different from contact around the crease which often happens long before the puck arrives. Plus I don't think any ref would call a penalty if you were standing still and someone literally skated into you unless it was an intentional pick.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 9, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

coldwind posted:

Well, there's a lot more to skating than just speed. Balance is very important, especially in this discussion. If you say you're close to average, then fair enough, I guess. Though I imagine you are average for your league, not average for all beer league hockey players overall.

I can't say because I don't know what most beer leagues are like. Two of the leagues I played in are/were intramural university leagues and had relatively lower skill levels and the recreational league I'm playing in now, which like I said has a decent amount of former junior players.

coldwind posted:

It seems like you're not expecting contact and that could definitely be a factor in the way you're feeling "flattened." One time, I was skating backwards in my defensive zone, drifting back towards the crease to cover it while watching the puck. I took a cross check (which I was not expecting at all) and I don't know how hard it was but I went down like a sack of brick-tatoes because I wasn't expecting it.

Yes, that's certainly true, although I'm getting used to expecting contact near the crease. Still, I can tell the difference between a light shove putting me off balance when I'm unaware and a guy skating over to cross-checking me to the ice.

coldwind posted:

I don't know what your point is here. If your point is that people playing defense and trying to clear lanes for their goalie somehow worsens the game and therefore should be illegal, then I guess you can believe that and most of us would disagree.

Well, there are many other ways you can play defense without resorting to bowling people over if the puck is near the crease like D C said. Just standing beside your check and leaning on their stick and/or lifting it is effective enough in any league I played in, or pushing people away from the crease (again like D C said).

coldwind posted:

I...what? Are you saying that there shouldn't be contact in front of the net because it's not a safety issue? I agree with you insofar as it's not a safety issue; it's part of the competition that is hockey. You clear people out of the crease so they're less likely to score.

I meant I have seen many more issues caused by overly aggressive play than by some guy standing too close to a goalie in or near the crease. I mean if a forward is literally standing on your goalie or tripping over him constantly, sure, go ahead and cross-check them until they stop, but why resort to knocking people over if they just occasionally head to the crease for rebounds? In a league with no bodychecking anyways.

I mean you said you'd play the body all the way out to the hash marks, which is further than D C's stick length away from the crease. Unless he means Chara's stick laid down from the edge of an international crease, I guess.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 9, 2012

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Wrestling in front of the crease is probably one of my favorite parts of playing defense. I may be a poo poo skater, but I have kickass balance and I can't remember the last time someone was able to put me on my back.. incidental or otherwise. Super tiring but it's fun.

Uh... don't you like intercepting passes and rushing up with the puck and/or making a clean, crisp breakout pass, getting it back at the point and unleashing a wicked slapshot?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

But the other reason is slap shots just seem dumb. I can see some value in generating rebound chances but other than that they're crazy inaccurate even at NHL levels of play and really only seem to function as a legal means of injuring opposing players.

Well, most of the skilled players I see actually getting solid slapshots off from the point take harder slapshots than wristshots, so if you can get it on net in the first place you're better off slapping it. But sure, I would much rather be able to take a pass (especially on the backhand or when they're behind me) and/or take one-time snapshots reliably instead.

Doctor Butts posted:

It sounds like there is more contact in our no-contact co-ed ball hockey league than your ice hockey league, exxon.

I'm not sure how you got that impression but if so then good for you I guess? Or more likely bad for your ball hockey league.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is allowing for ankle flexibility supposed to help skating that much, though? I tend to pronate heavily while barefoot or in shoes so I find that having poor ankle support means on my skates means that I just pronate more and have weaker strides.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

19 o'clock posted:

I never wash any of my gear. The occasional jersey, but never my gear. It's been 10 years with the same pads. It probably smells like death to anyone but me. That said: taking your gear out of the bag after skating definitely helps keep things bearable.

You are disgusting and playing with people like you is gross. I've had some teammates who I could smell sitting besides me on the bench, even in the refreshing cool air of an indoor rink. That's nasty.

Also you could get a serious, potentially lethal infection if you have an open cut anywhere near your bacterially endowed gear.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gio posted:

That's a hell of a lot of hyperbole. I bet 95% or more rarely or never wash their gear. Airing your poo poo out takes care of most of the smell.

It helps prevent your gear from getting smellier but even airing your stuff outside in subzero temperatures won't remove most of the odour. And you really should get your gear cleaned professionally every year or two, I found a place that does ozone treatment or something similar for $25 and it takes 30 minutes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

69, 99, 0 and 00 should be banned by all leagues

But how else will you identify players with a great and unique sense of humour?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anders posted:

Also, weren't you how said Seattle were bad at this because of stupid hippies?

This is a pretty remarkable sentence.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

coldwind posted:

Do y'all remember that three page discussion where one guy was insisting that instead of pushing forwards around the crease, defensemen should just stick lift instead? That is what happens when people use the term "non-contact league". And it's not their fault, I mean, what can you possibly expect if you're told a league is non-contact?

There was virtually no purposeful contact in both of the leagues I played in since September and anyone who threw a hit got penalized for it, so :words:

I still would rather play in a league where guys are looking to skate, pass and shoot rather than get their jollies by wrestling in the crease but that's far from unanimous.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

You're one of those forwards who camps in front of the goalie and then gets all pissed off when the goaltender pushes you out of the way, aren't you?

I'm torn between replying with "no, that rarely ever happens to anyone in games I play" and asking you if you're one of those defensemen who spazzes out and crosschecks anyone within 20 feet of the net.

coldwind posted:

aka "a league without defense."

All of us defensemen will be happy to not wrestle you forwards in the crease when all you forwards promise never to lift the puck when shooting.

Cool, it's the one of these things is not like the other game.

I'll bite, what fraction of plays/shifts would you say that you end up playing the body rather than the puck?

sellouts posted:

In the context of this, the "contact" being talked about was a free hand potentially into the chest of an approaching player during a poke check. And not a shove...

This isn't people lowering the boom in any capacity. It's playing a poke check and preparing yourself for some ancillary contact that might happen if you both make similar moves at the same time.

I wasn't referring to that video specifically, it was the guy I quoted who brought up the previous discussion.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Incidentally, I was looking up my rec league's relatively short rule list and found this:

quote:

When a penalty is called ... blah blah ...
No player from the penalized team may make a change during a stoppage in play: All substitutions by the short handed team must be done on the fly.

... which I have never heard anyone mention, let alone seen enforced in nearly 3 years. :psyduck: Is this like an enhanced version of the NHL's no change on a penalty call rule or meant to be just the NHL rule?

Also is there some standardized division system in US rec leagues because I keep seeing posts by people about bronze level or letter name divisions and have no idea if they're supposed to have some well understood meaning.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I join the rush with my center, who outskates his check for a clean 2-on-1. The passing lane is covered so he shoots low to the far side. The goalie lets out a fat rebound right onto my stick, so do I:

a) Corral the puck and carefully deposit it into the wide open net, or:
b) One-time that poo poo wide and yell fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh well, we lost like 12-0 anyways.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shooting directly at a goalie's chest is way better than constantly fanning on one-timers, even from soft, perfectly placed passes :negative:

I saw this synthetic ice on display at a show in Toronto: http://www.xtraice.com/ Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try it, but just watching people who did, it seemed to behave a lot like real ice. I didn't see any attempt a hockey stop, though. It also costs around $5-10,000 for a basement sized patch so as much as it would be cool to skate around outside in July, it's a little pricey for a backyard rink.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Any of you nerds play in central New Jersey? Why the hell is Princeton's enticing Hobey Baker rink closed all the drat time?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

My takeaway from that link is always be strengthening your core. And do skater lunges.

Or you can use those funky looking abductor/adductor machines at the gym that look like something that belongs in a gynecologists' office.

Using those machines is how I injured my groin in the first place. Well, either that or playing floor hockey and indoor soccer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

13 is fine though? That's 3 forward lines and 2 d pairs. 11 is bad because it usually ends up in 7 forwards and with one winger rolling through the lines.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rollerblading is harder than skating. gently caress slight inclines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bgreman posted:

11 gives you an extra center

Hahaha you really crack me up there is no loving way you're actually ending up with three centers and you know it, you're going to rotate wingers and the centers will bitch at you if you ever have an issue with your changes.

I got hot brains two weeks ago and I thought the nausea gone for good a couple of days ago except it's back now. This poo poo sucks. I can't imagine how people with severe PCS go right back to playing other than from the impaired judgement.