Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So my first ever league game went about as well as possible.

The biggest reason why we won was our defense, especially our captain, who was the best player on the ice for either team. We completely dominated possession for the whole game. Our goalie isn't very good, but it didn't matter because I would guess he only had to block like 8 shots the entire game. We won 5-1. Mine was goal number 3, our only goal in the 2nd period. I caught a pass from the point with my back to the goalie right in front of the net, did a quick turnaround backhand that found the 5-hole.

Next week's game is against the team full of ringers that apparently wins every year, but we crushed an above-average team tonight, so I'm feeling pretty good about our chances.

this is awesome btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

the other teams goalie quit with like a minute and a half left. no one knew what to do

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

jfc I have to go to work on Monday, gently caress anyone who attacks me with a hockey stick regardless of what their reasons are

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

a couple guys on my team ref lower league games

there's a couple of C-league superstars playing down a division or two. they've made it a point to 1) mock them constantly and 2) call every ticky tack penalty they can on them

I feel like this is a highly constructive approach

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

the team we played last night had this guy who had great hands and a pretty good shot, but his skating was...pretty awkward, incongruently so. i thought this was strange and went on about my day. he and i were playing opposite wings so i was chatting him up the whole game and he seemed like a cool guy.

anyway late on he made a really good handsy play and rang a shot off the crossbar. as he skated by our bench we all told him nice shot and whatnot. one of the guys on my team said "man that guy can play for someone who only has one leg." I assumed he did not mean this literally, like he had a bad knee or something, so i asked what the deal was. turns out the dude left a leg behind in iraq, and is still able to play beer league hockey at a level that does not make it immediately obvious he's missing a leg.

anyway i thought that was awesome, and also i will likely not do anything so difficult as relearning to skate on a prosthetic leg.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

i throw my bag in the back of my garage, and sometimes just leave it the trunk of my car

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

you can come skate with us in Kansas City! they don't charge us and it is a really good skate

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I’m flying places constantly how was I not invited previously

I figured it was implied but of course you're invited

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

we played our championship game today against the loaded team run by the rink manager. to make sure they were extra loaded for the playoffs they let some kid who just got done with his AHL season skate with them. we're the top division so i guess "ringer" doesn't really apply but, come on, man. they were X-1 on the season, we were the 1.

we went down 2-0 pretty quickly to AHL kid, then our goalie held us in it while we got dominated. i had a breakaway and a god's gift one timer neither of which i buried. in the third, we got two quick goals that were both very pretty, and this caused loaded team to get very, very upset. they started melting down, which made things just about even skill-wise, and we held them through the third.

rink manager guy didn't know what to do, but the teams who were in the 3rd place game after us said gently caress it, so we had the ice, so he started making it up as he went along. first we did a 4v4 5 min overtime, then he just said 4v4 until someone scores. they took two dumb penalties right at the start of the second overtime period. so, we're on the power play. then something mildly miraculous happened.

i dunno how many thousands of hockey games i've played in my life (I do not keep a spreadsheet) but i don't think i've scored more than maybe 3 goals ever by batting the puck out of the air. i've never once scored an overtime winner, let alone an overtime winner to win a championship. but, for some reason, both of those things happened on the same play...our "defenseman who always shoots it too high and as hard as he possibly can" shot it high as hard as he possibly could, it went off the goalies shoulder, and came down in a gentle arc that gave me just enough time to dive at it and swat it out of the air, and it went in. '

its probably all downhill from here, i may announce my retirement this weekend

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chicago Gay Hockey Association

owns

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsQhRdvzAA

oh my god their ankles

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

i mean, i usually dont tie my skates when i go out for public sessions with the kids or something, but even untied modern skates support your ankles just fine

those old skates look like they actively work against your ankles working properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I don't think I'm ever going to use anything but a pre-broken hockey stick ever again. can't beat $60 for a pro level stick

https://www.hockeystickman.com/collections/refurbished

You can kind of tell the different in weight based on where it was fixed but lol if that makes any difference whatsoever for a plug like me who tapes his stick twice a year

«14 »