Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Guess I'll just say hi and join the thread.

Over 3 years ago I was about 270lbs, I dieted and dropped to 200lbs and also started working out and climbed up to 215lbs and just sort of stayed there since. Really I should knuckle down and drop to 190lbs but :effort:. I started skating in September of 2013, although as a kid I could skate forwards and backwards and "played" for a year (played being 10 years old and bullied off the team because everyone else had been playing for 4 years already and I was bad). Friends said I should play hockey with them but I didn't know how to skate or shoot or stick handle. I played net as a teenager (I've been obese since I was 12) so I never learned to stick handle, shoot, pass or anything. So I've essentially gone from nothing but being able to shittily skate forwards and backwards as a 10 year old to where I am now. I remember looking for a thread like this in SAS for other people who are playing hockey for some tips and things.

I started out with basic skating lessons, nothing really amazing just some 20-something watching me for half an hour giving me tips, and gradually progressed learning how to do cross overs and then I started going to some stick + puck sessions. Oddly enough I sort of "lucked out" into stopping where one time at stick and puck I just sort of turned to my right and stopped with both feet, went "neat" and did it again. Downside is I never learned the building blocks of how to stop so stopping while turning left consists of a great stop with my outside right foot and dragging my left foot shittily along (although at least it is in place for cross-over starts). Also got started skating backwards.

Around this time I was doing a lot of stick and puck sessions learning how to stick handle and shoot (Jesus my "shot" used to be a poo poo flip pass) and ran into an old friend from high school who suggested I join up for a weekly on-ice game of basically older guys who pool together money and buy ice time. Some have been playing for decades, other learned to skate as adults like me. Starting out I was basically glued to the front of the net which was a lot of fun but man did I piss off the other teams goaltender. Thankfully down I'm better and more confident so I move around the zone as necessary but I still really like being involved on a screen.

From there I e-mailed a local CanPowerSkate coach as on their website it advertised "Power Skating for Ages 6 and up" and asked "how up is up because I am 31." She said that was fine and recommended that I stop by for a free on-ice skate so she could take a look at me. She said I was surprisingly good and would be happy to take me on. So since September of 2014 I've been doing power skating lessons with a bunch of 6-12 year olds and getting utterly destroyed by almost all of them. However my skating rapidly improved and one of my friends from the weekly hockey asked what was going on. I mentioned powerskating and he signed up (he played for 10 years and played floor hockey since but signed up to jog the memory mostly).

Recently I signed up for an Adult Learn to play hockey and I've gone to 7 sessions and learned a lot. Power skating has been amazing teaching me how to skate, honestly now I'm actually able to keep up with guys that have been playing ice hockey for years, but the adult learn to play hockey is running drills and actually using pucks on ice. Plus you've got a couple of coaches yelling at you when you're being terrible which is actually pretty great when you want to get better.

Right now I'm starting to get the hang of stick handling without my eyes glued to the puck, which makes me feel pretty amazing (and has also helped me shot a lot actually as I'm properly cupping the puck now) and I'm also getting the hang of doing quick turns while also protecting the puck. I'm also starting to get the hang of backwards cross-overs which is improving my backwards skating immensely. My shot is still garbage, I'm finding I shoot far too high and I believe it's because I don't have the hang of the "roll" to finish the shot (basically I think my "roll" completes before the stick is really pointing where I want it to go so it launches the puck a bit high) so I'm working on that as well.

This is basically been amazing as I haven't played a sport since I was 11 (it was soccer and it sucked). I really enjoy genuinely seeing myself progress and get better at every skill I attempt (quick turns and backwards cross-overs have taken a while but finally to the point where I can use them in games with confidence). I even replaced all my low level "hi I'm just learning to play what is on sale" gear with a bunch of top of the line stuff that really fits me (bought on clearance of course, I'm not an idiot). Biggest difference was the jump to the Reebok 20k skates, holy poo poo they've made a difference. Hopefully come fall when the next adult season opens up I can join a team. I think I'm at a point where I won't be a detriment to the team too bad and most people don't believe me when I say I've barely been skating for a year and a half because my forward stride is getting pretty strong I'd say (I've actually had a couple of people say that could hear me digging into the ice as I caught up behind them backchecking, haha).

Don't know if any of you guys/gals are local to the Fraser Valley in BC :canada: but if you are: :whatup: we should play some drop in or something.

A few things I've noticed from learning as an adult that nobody told me and I never found in videos anywhere:
Jesus loving Christ my shins. For a few months when I was learning to really skate I thought I had shin splints. They would loving ache like nobody's business. Thankfully the solution was "nut up or shut up" and eventually the muscles that get used for skating a lot and nothing for anything else caught up and now my shins don't feel like they've been beaten with sticks.

Jesus loving Christ my groin and hip flexors. I guess this is because a lot of people that learn to skate as adults do so in a more casual fashion but because I was taking power skating I was learning how to doing it properly (read: full leg extensions). This resulted in numerous pulled groins and hip flexors. I tried a bunch of stretches until I finally found one that I've been doing ever since (even if I arrive late I refuse to go on the ice until I stretch). Thankfully it hasn't happened since (knock on wood).

Anyhow, that was longer than intended but just thought I'd say hi in the thread and share my relatively short experience with playing ice hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Zip! posted:

Keep on keeping on buddy :)

The thing that taught me the most about keeping my head up was actually just to stick handle whilst watching tv - it becomes subconscious after a while as you concentrate more on your show than what you're doing.

For shooting its really all about weight transfer on to your stick to make the most of the flex. These 3 videos are pretty good at demonstrating the concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74xY0xiFxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr63oWYxWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU

Hey that's a really good idea. Sadly I just bought an apartment so I don't think the downstairs neighbours would be cool with that. :( Also means only time I can practice is generally on the ice or if I can find a friend who also practices in his yard or something.

I ended up buying myself a 75 flex stick because I figured kids work their way up to the 100 flex sticks I started with (based on THE INTERNET) telling me what I should get based on my weight. It's helped a lot as I'm slowly getting the hang of the flex. I'm sure, like with everything in hockey, I need to get lower and just do it 10,000 times.

Those videos by Jeremy at HowToHockey are great too. I used a bunch but honestly it's one thing to see it done, it's another to have someone watching you, seeing specifically what you're doing wrong and then showing you how to get it right.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 5, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

D C posted:

Congrats on putting in the work.

Surprisingly basically no one in the lower mainland here, I'm in Vancouver, which could be far depending on where in the valley you are.

I just moved to Abbotsford at the beginning of May so it'd be about an hour if the traffic isn't garbage.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

shyduck posted:

Good thinking. As you progress, bear in mind there's no right or wrong flex, however my two cents is that more players generally use a stick that's too stiff for them. So if you feel comfortable around 75-90 but anything around 100 still doesn't feel right, go with more flex. Bear in mind if you cut your stick, it'll will play stiffer. Bauer has a good labeling system on their shafts about what stiffnesses will turn to at various cut points.

Brett Hull, one of the most prolific goal scorers in NHL history and known for a great slap shot, used a stick ranging between 65-75 flex.

Right now I've got the cheapest 75 flex stick I could find, a Reebok 26k. It has that stick stuff all over the shaft which I really don't like to be honest. I guess I could get a new stick but honestly my shot is bad so I know that's not my issue at all. Thankfully I'm 5'10 and a bit so the default stick size is just what I want so I don't have to cut down at all.

How could you take a slap shot with such a whippy stick though?

Pleads posted:

I'm moving from an apartment to another apartment but there's a big concrete slab in the parking lot so I might just go down there and be the weird Canadian in west LA. My stickhandling has lagged far behind skating and positioning the last few years.

Yeah there are some places I could probably go with a fake ice sheet and work on stick handling, that's a good point actually.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have made the executive decision to add a healthy amount of White Zombie to our pre-game playlist. I feel like this is in the best interest of the team.

https://youtu.be/9q5pl0Nf1Uk?t=37s

Also played tonight. Had two great blocks. One was a slapshot I lined up perfectly and took it right off the shin pads and barely even felt it at all (very happy with my decision to upgrade those). The other was a wrist shot I took about 5 laces up from the bottom of the boot. That hurt. Nothing broken but I felt it the rest of the game whenever I stopped to think about it and it's still pretty sore now hours later. I think I might get some shot blockers because I love blocking shots and want to continue to do so with no fear.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 6, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Zip! posted:

Chat to your goalie first and make sure they're happy with you blocking shots.

I'm pretty chill as far as being a goalie goes but nothing makes me rage quite as hard as when one of my team mates decide they're going to help me out and wave something at an incoming shot - as a goalie I want as clear and uninterrupted view of the shot path as possible.

He's fine with it because I only go for the block if it's above the faceoff circles. I don't do sprawling dives or anything but just the standard two-leg standing stack right in front of the stick.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Last night we had a ref that hates our team's guts. Constantly calls bullshit ticky-tack stuff on us, etc.

One of the players on the other team loses the end cap on their stick. Other ref picks it up and brings it over to our bench. A minute later, ref who hates us skates over to our bench:

Ref: Hey where's that end plug?
Our captain: Oh, the buttplug? I knew it was yours.

2 minutes, unsportsmanlike.

Very sporting retort, imho.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

D C posted:

Played roller last night, we were short handed, I had the puck along the boards behind our net with 2 guys on me, decided to just pin it against the board with my skate while the other team tried to move me (wasn't happening), they were going as far as kicking my feet and cup checking me and everything. I was just waiting for the ref to blow the whistle for another faceoff but he kept yelling "its free, keep moving" so I kept holding it. Finally let it go after about 45 solid seconds and the guy that was all over my back full on cup checks me and trys to hit me from behind and the ref just shrugged as my teammates went down and scored a shortie.

The other ref tried to tell me that I needed to move the puck. I told him "hey we're shorthanded, I'll gladly take a whistle" and he, clearly having no idea, said that I would get a penalty for delay of game if he blew the play dead. Sometimes I wonder where they find these guys.

If you guys play by HockeyUSA rules then that's a legit penalty.

http://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084654-rule-610-delaying-the-game

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

When I'm on the ice for a goal against I immediately figure out who else's fault it was (especially if it's my fault), blame them silently, and then forget the event entirely and try to think of what I'm getting to eat after the game

My favourite moment of playing hockey so far was tussling with a guy in front of the net. We're going back and forth as I try to keep screening the goalie and he keeps trying to push me out of the way and I'd say it's about 50/50 with the puck being moved around and so forth. The line that I play on has two great skaters for forwards so honestly even if I don't screen and tie up a decent D-man on the other team it's a net bonus for us.

Anyhow, they're doing their Sedin passing and skating and eventually score with no direct assistance from me on the screen.

The guy I'm tussling with just so of looks at the net and the back to me and goes ".... welp I had my man."

At that point I almost fell over laughing... and so did he. It's was loving hilarious.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I think scoreboard is a bit more beer-league classy than a grown man literally calling someone a human being.

But then again, I could be wrong and should have just been calling everyone faggots this whole time.

I'm with you, grown men calling each other faggots as an even remotely seriously insult says more about the insulter than the insulted to me. Not like cocksucker is any better though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Well my mind is officially blown for the week. I'm the guy you got the tripping penalty on, and I also show up to tuesdays sometimes.

way to dive, flopper

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

Before you leave take her skates, slam the blade edges together a few dozen times and put them back

When she starts falling all over the ice ask if she's ever actually skated before, and then offer to help her to the boards like a gentleman

Alternatively give her a full on bodycheck the second her skates hit the ice to show how progressive you are and fully including women in sports.

do not do this

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Welp looks like I've injured a tendon in my right bicep and my right rotator cuff. Gave it a two week break and just simply at work and set them off again lifting some stuff above waist level. Doctor's appointment booked but it may be no hockey for 2 months or so. Or proper working out either. Ugh.

(I'll probably keep going to power skating as that does not require pucks and shouldn't be setting off my injuries)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I kept training/playing on mine other than about a 1-month break, because I am a moron. I strongly recommend PT and working on your scapular mobility. There is a statistical correlation between bicep tendonitis and tennis elbow, too, so you might want to head that off at the pass if you can.

Ugh, how long was your recovery? I dropped a bunch of weight a while ago so I'm not used to this whole "injury from being fit activity" stuff.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Well, I am 42. But it was quite a few months before it stopped hurting altogether, maybe 6-7. Figuring out the right stretching/mobilization for me helped a lot.

God drat it. I'm going to lose all my gains.

D C posted:

You maybe should consider new shin pads, if it hits you in the plastic you shouldn't feel anything really, let alone any sort of lasting pain.

For serious. I got some Reebok 20k shinpads on clearance (I think Reebok has given up on the ice hockey market). I got them because they're made for larger calves and the wrap is one of the few I can get completely around my leg.

First time I blocked a shot with them I honestly didn't know I did until I turned behind me to see the deflected angle. I was so used to really feeling it with my old pads. Now I can tell but it's still as if someone is tapping your leg with their finger or something. I'm amazed at how much protection they offer.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Krown 360 was in a class of its own *3 out of 5 stars*
Everything else was two stars or below.

The newer version of the Krown, the LTE, is worse than the 360.

The Bauer Re-Akt helmets didn't score that well either.

To be fair concussions are a relatively new thing in regards to serious concern. Previously it was just "getting your bell rung, give it a couple of days". Now we know of lasting effects but still not enough.

So helmets were just designed more to prevent skull fractures and whatnot and are still based off old criteria.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea but the Krown, M11, Re-Akt series helmets were specifically designed with concussions in mind.

Ah, I wasn't aware. As someone mentioned the earlier Krown did OK but I do recall reading an article about this months ago. Literally every other helmet was 2/5 or less (even top of the line ones).

Honestly we don't really now how to prevent concussions much beyond "don't hit head" as even padded helmets still get your brain knocking against your skull inside. Some people still say a mouth guard prevents concussions when there is no evidence of it at all (you should still wear it if you value your teeth though).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Oh man, I got a text from my friend that I play casual weekly hockey with. Casual as in a bunch of guys formed 2 teams and we rent a rink for an hour a week for 3-4 months at a time for about $200 / person. He asked me if I want to be on his D 30+ league team. I will have been ice skating for 2 years come September, let alone playing hockey.

God I hope my shoulder is good enough to play in 2 months.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DeNofa posted:

I've been playing hockey for a few months and I'm thinking I need to replace my cheap rear end Graf G15 gloves. A lot of model are on clearance right now: Easton Mako, Mako M5, Sealth RS II, the higher end Bauer Supremes (TotalONE, One.8), Reebok 26/28/30k, and CCM CL500. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these? Would I be stupid to buy these sight-unseen online?

As mentioned, cheap ones skimp on padding. Honestly just try them all on and see what you like best. I bought some never tried Easton Mako shoulder, elbow and pants but still went down to a store try on some Easton gear to get the size right (they had Mako M5).

Personally I've been a fan of the Easton brand because their 13" gloves fit my fingers better than any other brand I've tried no matter the style. I also prefer a tight form fitting glove and cuff so I went with the Easton Synergy HSX. With all that in mind, for me, I'd lean toward the Easton Stealth RS II or the Mako. However despite all that I've tried the Mako glove and just wasn't a fan.

What I'm getting at is that you really should just try everything until you get an idea of what you like (eg. loose or tight glove, loose or tight cuff, etc). At least that way if you're buying blind you can go "ok I like this size in this brand and I like this style so these will probably be my best bet."

Gloves have so much variation now because how comfortable you feel holding your stick is so important.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 5, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

Throw your pads in the washer - don't dry it; hang it up - laugh that it'll start to stink again anyway the next time you use it - play sadtrombone.wav

Yeah just throw them in with cold water and some non-beach detergent and it should be fine.

Although really the only thing of mine that genuinely stinks is my gloves. I wear long UA pants and shirt. Seems to take a lot of the stink out. Additionally I take poo poo out immediately so I can dry out and none of my gear really stinks that bad.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Habibi posted:

It's really more about reducing lactic acid buildup and aiding recovery. Whether what I'm feeling is real or purely placebo, I also just find compression layers comfy.

I get weird bruises from my gear straps and things if I don't get a layer on between me and the gear. They're these thin line bruises that don't hurt but show up.

Plus I found pads right on my skin to just be uncomfortable.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DeNofa posted:

To follow up on this: went to LHS, hate Easton, hate Bauer, Reebok is unknown, love CCM. I tried the new Tacks 6052 and they're pretty awesome. HockeyMonkey has both the 6052 ($99) and CL500 (was $189, now $97) and I'm unsure as to what I want to go with. I got to try on the Tacks Ultra which replaced the CL500 and I like those just fine. Would it make sense to get last year's top model over this years second model if they're the same price?

I would go for last years top of the line myself. Top of the line is top of the line and really "the best" from 5 years ago is better than "pretty good" right now.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Good advice, only way I would disagree with it is when the "improvement" is something like the click release holder. gently caress that poo poo.

What the hell is a click release holder?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

A little lever you press on the blade holder to quick release the blade.

You know for all those times beer leaguers need their equipment manager to get them a fresh edge.

Definitely something that will be frequently used and to consider when buying top of the line skates for sure.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

How often should you be replacing your blades? I swear I'm starting to bail during my quick turns but I'm not sure if I'm just so comfortable with them that I'm going in for leans beyond an angle where the plastic blade housing is hitting the ice or if it's because I've had them sharpened down enough to the point where I'm doing my quick turns normally and bottoming out for the same reason.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

bigbillystyle posted:

Even with regular sharpening blades should last a pretty long time. Like almost the life of the skate really. But then again I usually break a blade and end up having to change them out before I actually run them down to the holder so maybe having them for the life of the skate isn't quite right. I just got out of my last pair, had them about 4 or 5 years, replaced the steel at about 2 or 2.5 years in because of a broken blade and there is plenty left on them. So if I didn't break a blade I would probably have been on the same set of steel for the life of my last skates which were mid-tier Bauers, if that helps you get some idea of a timeline. Sharpening wise I'm like an every 4-6 skates type of guy, so once or twice a month depending on how much I'm skating.

Ah OK, probably just me finally getting comfortable with my lean to the point I'm over leaning and getting the holder into the ice and losing my edge then.

:sicknasty:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's just gotta be technique right? I mean strength is always a factor but to be able to go that fast without pushing is kind of nuts.

Yeah it's technique. I've been skating for less than two years but I've been taking power skating lessons.

As I started playing, before lessons with a certified coach, my skating was good enough to compete with casual guys. As in I was faster than people who were bad but never able to catch up to anyone that has any ice hockey experience.

I've finally got the hang of the knee bend and full leg extension in stride. I've started to be able to actually catch up to people on the backcheck, blow past defence after chipping a puck to myself off the boards on a rush and poo poo like that. Everybody seems to be in disbelief when I say I'll only have been ice skating for two years come September. It feels loving amazing.

I'm not saying it's perfect by any means but the foundation is there and holy poo poo it makes a ton of difference. I really hope I can keep learning for another few years to really get the technique down to the point where I never have to consciously remind myself to do poo poo like fully extend the leg or get as low as possible with the knee bend.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Honestly I'd say let her fight her own battles. It's probably tough enough to have everybody either thinking you need special treatment with having your boyfriend jumping up for you.

I mean it's a lovely play by the other guy and this wouldn't come into play if she was a dude but even so. But maybe she wants to be able to stand up for herself. Although I could be wrong and she may not give a poo poo if somebody on her team sticks up for her.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

My hip-flexors and groin muscles would be dead by the end of the week holy poo poo

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

bgreman posted:

My groin has been bugging me for a little while, but I had a weekend off of games due to roller derby travel and it's feeling much better. I'm sure after another few hours on the ice it'll be screaming. Anyone got any tips on getting these stretched out properly? I feel like I'm overstretching them (and I make sure to get warmed up before stretching) before puck drop, but I'm afraid of not stretching these muscles enough, too. :downs:

When I started doing proper form hockey strides, as in down low with full leg extension, I was pulling my going or hip flexor every two weeks. My groin would take two weeks to heal and my hip flexor would take at least 1 week. So I was basically out of hockey for 2 weeks of a month.

I tried a bunch of stuff but the only thing that worked, and by worked I mean since doing this I have not pulled my groin or hip flexor in 4 months was a modified stretch of this:

Instead of keeping your forward and back leg in a straight line you rotate you back leg about 45 degrees out at the knee on the ground from centre then stretch, then 45 degrees in at the knee from centre. When it's rotated out and you lean forward you *really* feel it in your hip flexor. When you rotate in, it targets the groin. I swear by it and refuse to skate unless I do this twice for each leg holding for 10-15 seconds each time (in addition to all other standard stretching).

I'd link the YouTube video a sports physiotherapist goes into the stretch in detail but I can't find it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

So in my trek to learn to skate before I start playing ice hockey I finally got a decent pair of boots on my rental skates. Makes a world of difference, I felt confident and got told by my skating coach that I should be ready to move up to the next level they have in another session or two if I come practice a bit between weekly lessons. The old skates they had there were like cheap leather roller rink skates I remembered from middle school. I was getting a bit defeated after falling down so much trying crossovers last sessions and am now excited again.

I never understood the difference skates made until I went from $150 new skates to $900 skates (on clearance for $300 because I'm not insane). For 30 minutes it was like learning to skate again, but since then it's amazing.

bgreman posted:

Thanks for this. I think my increase in groin strains was also related to developing that deep extension. I do a similar stretch for my hip flexors but without the rotation, I'll throw that in and see if it helps.
Indeed, it's a great stretch because you can really feel it hit those muscles. Everything else I tried sort of hit them a bit but nothing compared to those. I added them to my normal stretch routine before any exercise too because couldn't hurt and I figure it keeps them in use when they normally don't get targeted.

In other news I'm doing 1hr of power skating then 1hr and 15-30minutes of adult learn to play hockey tonight. I'm dieting at a cut of 750-1000 calories a day (so 1.5-2lbs per week) so basically today I get to eat like a normal person due to how many calories skating burns. So not only do I get to play sweet hockey but I also get to drown myself in 500 calories of sweet complex carbs, an extra banana 30 minutes before I hit the ice and then a post workout Clif bar.

Thursday's are easily my favourite day of all time now.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

Followup question: How to get over the very real fear that you're going to slam into the guy if you keep your speed up? I'm pretty good at stopping and changing direction now but I still get pretty nervous being really close to someone at high speed.

Real talk: bumps happen, keep your centre of gravity low to keep your balance. If you're side by side the only way you hit is if you or he cuts across and neither should do that unless you're sure you've got him beat.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Thufir posted:

Also helps you wanting to keep your shifts short.

This, holy poo poo this. I've really noticed that the people who take long shifts are often shuffle skaters that never really skate hard.

"Dude, 2 minutes shifts."
"I'm not even tired."
"Start skating so you are then."

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

ugh the weirdo dude on our team who wanted to be captain sooooo hard before we had even all been in the same room is this guy in a nutshell.
Plays wing: glides everywhere.

everywhere

I'm pretty sure he's gliding right now at whatever office job he works at.

rolling chair bro, it's like I'm in SPACE

doctor 7 posted:

In other news I'm doing 1hr of power skating then 1hr and 15-30minutes of adult learn to play hockey tonight. I'm dieting at a cut of 750-1000 calories a day (so 1.5-2lbs per week) so basically today I get to eat like a normal person due to how many calories skating burns. So not only do I get to play sweet hockey but I also get to drown myself in 500 calories of sweet complex carbs, an extra banana 30 minutes before I hit the ice and then a post workout Clif bar.

Thursday's are easily my favourite day of all time now.
Calculated my calories almost perfectly. At about 2 minutes before we stopped I crashed pretty hard. I dropped one piece of pasta on the ground earlier in the day when I was eating so I blame that.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

Someone needs to invent a gatorade bottle that squirts buttered pasta into your mouth when for when you're gassed on the bench.

Won't help much, it takes 2-3 hours minimum for your body to start converting it into energy. I eat whole wheat pasta so a bit longer too. Plus you want low fat so I use a tomato sauce with one tablespoon of olive oil for the pan to cook my chicken/veg in before mixing in the sauce.

I generally like to eat pasta 6 hours and then 3 hours before playing, with a higher amount of protein (chicken/Turkey/fish) 6 hours ahead then mostly just pasta with a bit of protein 3 hours before the game. Then I'll have a banana 30-45 minutes before I hit the ice.

Really makes a difference compared to eating some lovely burger 2 hours before a game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Also helps to pre-empt pain and provides confidence with the puck

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Hahahahahahaha holy poo poo

Duke Chin posted:

gingerbread waffle with orange infused butter + bacon and eggs and coffee in the morn, then a beer before the game, then beer after in the locker room (I mean, we're called The Growlers after all :rimshot:), then sushi has been the norm afterward the game lately.

Ain't complaining about that ritual one bit.
Jesus Christ I would throw up loving everywhere.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Yeah, it's basically the same as "keep your stick on the ice." Generally you want to as a rule but there are exceptions.

Much more so with one hand on your stick.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Why couldn't I just enjoy a cheap sport like basketball or soccer.

Because they suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Loqieu posted:

Just don't try to do a hockey stop like you would do on ice skates.

Or try it once so you never forget to never do it again