Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Anyone here play in the Charlotte NC area? I thought there was one Carolina hockey goon. Ill be relocating next year and wondered how hockey was there. Looking around online there's a couple rinks and decent priced leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Oh god how did I forget that, I even filled it out.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Thufir posted:

The gear survey we did says he does :ohdear:

Oh no I do wear a cage, where am I?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I hit Charlotte Tuesday and will be waiting on the movers to deliver my stuff so I can hit the ice again. Is it retarded that Im going south to get more ice time than I can in New England?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Heya Zamboni_Rodeo, I have been looking, actually Ive been looking over all my hobbies in NC and Hockey is one that looks to be improving with the move. Up here there's 2 rinks close to where I live but they have mostly afternoon pickup which I can only get to when I take days off, and no stick and puck. The one rink that has night pickup gets more sparse during the winter months. My place in NC is right near the Pineville Ice House and Extreme ice isn't too far away too. There seems to be steady night pickup and Sunday stick and pucks listed on their web pages. Also going to take some moving $$ and join a league finally, as soon as I figure out what division I fit in. As for Raleigh Ill def need to come up when the B's are in town, Im glad hockey is back.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Close! The Five Hole Sports shop here in Charlotte is actually in Indian Trail at the Extreme Ice Center where the Checkers train/practice. Its a great facility (just started their Hockey U program actually).

Wait your in Charlotte too? We will have to meet up for some hockey, have you been to the Pineville yet?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

First NC hockey tomorrow night. Going to check out the Pineville Icehouse and then play pickup. Also my buddy from work is going to give skating a try and maybe get into hockey.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Thats a motley looking crew. I screwed up tonight. I went to the open skate and waited to sign up for pickup and it filled up by the time i went to sign up. Might have been because the open pickup last night was canceled because of that ice storm. They do pickup by divisions at the Icehouse so I hung out to watch if I would fit in the c1/c2 novice they had this listed as. I would have been one of the better players but I liked that there weren't any super pros out there. As far as the place goes Bro Hug it seemed pretty good. The ice was a complete mess for the open skate though. They had it going for over 3 hours and I don't think they resurfaced it. It still looked a little grooved for pickup. Looks like there is pickup tomorrow night at Extreme Ice so I might head over there to see how it is. What time is your clinic at?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Extreme Ice is a nice joint. Had a pretty good skate, was up tempo and there were some good players. Its a pretty warm rink, by comparison Pineville felt like the arctic. I am way out of shape and lost my legs by the end and couldn't keep up. I don't think Ill make the Tuesday session though, probably Friday.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Went all out at today's LTP clinic... 45 min of skating drills and a 15 min. scrimmage. Felt like throwing up by the end but drat it was exhilarating pushing hard and testing my stamina. The best hobby.

Nice, keep at it. I went to pickup last night, small turnout so we did 3v3 with 1 goalie, but it was a blast, Im still way out of shape.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I've been to a few pickup games here and its been great to get to play regularly (except last week, drat virus) again. One thing though, there is a crazy woman whose been at every skate. According to the banter in the locker room shes been to every single pickup game at the rink, no matter the time for the last month or so. She yells things out, and mutters constantly, saying nothing that makes any sense. Shes also very bad, can barely skate, and basically a pylon. Everyone has been ignoring her in the bench rotations running 6 on the ice with her. To make things worse she would rather hack, slash, and crosscheck you when you get near her. I guess she whacked one of the guys in the face last week. Last night he got near her again fighting for a loose puck. She raised her stick up and he shoved her away and she went sprawling like a sack of potatoes. I think she muttered something about killing him so there was speculation that she would be out in the parking lot with a gun or something after. Thankfully there weren't any hockey related shootings last night.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Is that at Extreme? I've yet to do a pickup game so I haven't encountered the crazy lady.

A little late on this but yea this was at Extreme. I finally got on the list for the Sat pickup at Pineville last night and she was there too. It was a good skate though. Many more lower skill players so I focused on Forward which was fun. One shift guarding the point the D man decided to shoot the puck right into my solar plexus, keeled me over, but it only knocked my wind out slightly, then I got pissed and finished the shift. I have a nasty bruise growing there now.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea I think if it didn't hit me it would have been shoulder/head high at the net, it was just a lil wrister though. Later a guy took a slapper 2 feet away from the defender and hit him in the skate. He was not happy and gave to the guy the next 2 shifts including a full check. Come to think of it I wonder if it was the same guy.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Welp, my LTP clinic wrapped up today. While I'd say I'm better than I was before it started I still have a whole lot of learning/practicing to do. Now to start joining some of the weekly pick-up games (6am?!), the occasional weekend PU game, and wait till the next season starts to get on a C league team.

Nice, keep at it. I slacked off this week and haven't played since last Satuday. Ill probably be over to XI Tuesday night for pickup.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Had the afternoon off of work so I went to my first pick up game this afternoon at XI. Was offsides a couple of times and I didn't do much besides skate up and down the ice and pass the puck to someone as soon as I got it, but at least I didn't fall on my rear end or get in the way too much. Felt a bit foolish but one guy asked me if it was my first time playing and he was helpful explaining how the game format worked (shift rotations etc) and had some other good pointers. It was fun enough that I'll do it again though, probably have to check out the other rink where there are more people closer to my :downs: skill level.

Also, Fingers I'm pretty sure that the crazy lady you referred to was there and you weren't kidding, she's nuts.

Thats good they helped you out. Tuesdays pickup was pretty high end but it mostly sucked for me, and I played like crap. Two guys on the other team were really good stick handlers and skaters, but they would just cherry pick at our blue line or red line while the puck was in their zone. I should learn to just fuckin ignore it but I always ended up back trying to stop them and I was having the worst time trying to stop their moves. Normally I might start to gently caress with them at that point, but one of them works in the pro shop and I would like decent sharpenings in the future. I think they moved the time up so the crazy lady missed it although she was watching us later. Then in the locker room one of the guys revealed that she gave him a $200 check before. It was labeled "for a good time" for him that meant getting wasted, but the rest of the room was sure she had other things in mind.

Tomorrow night at Pineville is the c1-2 novice pickup at 10:45. Its mostly lower skill level and had guys out for the first time too. It was a lot of fun last time I was there. But it fills up, I had to call in at 6 to get on the list.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Any good stick deals out there? I friggin broke my stealth rs today, Im an idiot. Hockey monkey has intermediates in my curve on clearance for 150 shipped though. Not sure I want a grip stick though.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea had a decent skate at pickup tonight, but the other team was stacked, and we had guys that could barely skate. Sucks not being able to get the puck out of our zone.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

You can find hockey gear in every store in Canada right?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

All my tricks were working at pickup tonight. Had a look off shot go five hole and a fake shot to backhand deke on a break-in.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Went to the late pickup game tonight, and scored my first goal...on my own net. Accidently kicked the puck in with the toe of my skate in a scramble in front of the net. :( It didn't really matter in the long run since our team got owned but I still had a lot of fun. Now that i can skate and stay on my feet most of the time I definitely need to go to some Stick and Puck sessions to get better at handling the puck.

Which rink? I was at the late game at Pineville tonight. I drank too much last night and was still feeling the effects.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

I was at Pineville as well, played defense on White. I enjoyed it a lot more than the games at XI and wondered if you were there but would have felt foolish asking if anyone knew who Fingers was lol

Hah nice, I was playing forward on white, I think I remember you.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Bla, I hate feeling like I'm the worst player out there at pickup and then fuckup to make it worse.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

I felt the same way at the couple pickups ive gone to at XI. Have you done the Thursday noon pick-up for beginners at Pineville? I want to but haven't been able to take off work for it yet.

I think a beginners game is a little too low, but either way afternoon stuff is usually hard to get to with work and all.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I decided to play on the usually more stacked team at pickup last night, I felt guilty scoring a hat trick. But I think I finally got myself on a beer league team.

Edit: no kitty is cute and likes the stuff cause it smells like you.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 28, 2013

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Went to a Stick and Puck this evening to work on my puck handling. It was fun but a little disjointed since there were so many different things happening on the ice at once (a few coaches working with some of the pee-wee/junior players and a couple of guys from the A/B leagues practicing etc). Still enjoyed it quite a bit. One of the kids there was talking with a coach about the playing he did during this year in juniors. He was all over the place, playing for teams in NC, FL and MI and some tourneys in Europe. The way he was talking about his "contract getting bought out" and being traded I thought he was at least 18-20... turns out he's 15 :stare:

Hah we keep ending up at the same skates, but I didn't see you. I wanted to shoot around and work up a good sweat. Its hectic with all the mini coaching sessions going on out there, but I never really got to go to stick and pucks back home so Ill take what I can get. I'm sad my new stick wasn't delivered yet, so Ill have to wait till the stick and puck Saturday to get it out on the ice.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Are you going to the morning or evening stick and puck on Saturday?

Definitely evening, then the 10:45 pickup too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Did some reading/watching to try and improve my snapshot, went to stick and puck and couldn't shoot for poo poo. I guess I filled my head with too much making it worse. The crowded ice and puck shortage didn't help.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Any other NC hockey goons (all both of you, I know) planning to play in the State Games at the end of June? Apparently I will be there.

Not that I know of. I might also be up North that week on vacation.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I had this talk with LBH at the rink, although it looks like Im not the only mixed up one. Im right handed, as in I write with that hand, but growing up my dad taught me to bat left. So I ended up being more comfortable playing hockey left, and still do, also putting too. But when I learned to play with the rest of the clubs in golf, the guy teaching me only had right handed clubs so I drive and chip right, skateboarded normal right footed, shoot guns/bows right handed. Also growing up left handed sticks weren't always around, so doing street hockey or shooting tennis balls in my friends driveway I could use a right handed stick when I needed to. I can throw a football with both hands, farther with my right hand but a better spiral with the left. I feel awkward trying to bat right though, can use both hands to beat off. Got invited to a private pickup game tonight with some of the guys from the Saturday night pickup, its late though at 11:30 Ill see how that feels.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

I can do right-over left crossovers all day, but left over right left? After one or two I also land on my rear end if I don't stop. It'll come in time but ugh. I feel your pain.

How did it go?

I had a blast, we were short 6 people so after the first 30m I was pretty tired, but I cant complain about all that ice time.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Sweet jesus, I need to figure out how to lift the puck on command. My cousin was trying to show me yesterday and he made it look so loving easy. I get the theory of how to do it, but every time I try I end up turning my wrists out too far and opening my stick blade so that it's facing upwards toward the ceiling. He thinks I need more forearm strength and it's possible he's right but I'm not sure that I buy it, especially if the motion is supposed to be all in your wrists to begin with. It drives me crazy to hear him (and other people I skate with) say to me "It's so easy, just do this." Well that's the problem. I can't figure out how to do this, whatever this is.

I can show you, I lift the puck all the time, right over the net.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I heard at stick and puck tonight that at the weekend holiday 4v4 tourney a player laid down to block a shot, and did so with his face. Apparently it took over an hour to get all the blood off the ice.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

:stare: drat, I wonder who it was. Some of those guys really go all out.

How is the crowd Tuesdays? I got caught up in family stuff and couldn't get out there this week but thought it would probably be as crowded with kids/coaches as the other weekday stuff. Any different?

It was packed, there were 4 or more coaching sessions going on. After 40 minutes it thinned out, after an hour the coaching ended. The last 15-20 min was pretty empty.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Psmith posted:

Was there something that finally clicked for you? If so, do you have any suggestions? I've recently started playing and while I'm comfortable with most aspects of skating I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out. I've been going to the public skate before the open hockey and trying it out on fresh ice and I just can't get it right.

Are we talking stopping on the side with one foot not a snowplow, or a full hockey stop with front skate inside edge and back skate outside edge in parallel?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

YOU FUCKERS WANNA GO?

On a serious note I totally lost my cool at pickup this weekend, and I'm thoroughly embarrassed. I was having a lovely game, got a good 2 on 1 break in finally, went to rotate to get my forehand square and my skate kicked out from under me and I wiped out hard missing the puck and falling on my head. I got up and threw my stick across the zone and then threw it on the bench. The game just seems to hate me sometimes.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea I need to relax and be more loose, I always play better that way. When I get angry and try to make every play it gets worse.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

After 3 years of pickup I finally have the time and $$ to get into a league. The rink I always play at has a new player draft/tryout and I think I got screwed out of a team. I wasn't happy with my drill performance, but figured I could make it up during the scrimmage. I have a couple good shifts and a couple average ones and then I get called off the bench by the guy running it. I'm thinking someone wanted me. Then I stand around waiting for someone to come talk to me only to not have that happen, and I miss the rest of the scrimmage. I asked one of the dudes that works there wtf, he said he would check and never came back. I got pissed and changed.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

That total hockey deal was too good to pass up, grabbed a RSII for less than the RS I got on clearance this summer. Went back to the P4 curve I had on the EQ30 I tried out. Moved from the P7 I had on my last 2 RS's.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

real_scud posted:

:argh: I ordered my RSII's from hockeygiant on Monday and I just now got a shipping notification. loving hell I was hoping to have them before my next game on Monday.

Yea still waiting for my notification, but I'm not in a huge hurry. But I'm interested to see how the p4 works out with the new blade construction and going back to no grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Got the new stick today. I wasn't expecting such a wide box.