Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Fingers, you playing in the upcoming season at the Icehouse?

No, I still don't have a team. I had to miss the tryout Thursday as I'm still recovering from spraining my ankle/foot a couple weeks ago (not hockey related). Just got back on the ice Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Its ok I need to drop some weight and kick my rear end into shape, get on the ice as much as possible. Plus I can save up some cash and be ready to go for the summer league.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I got to play with the RS II last night and I had a mixed time with it. I ended up cutting an inch off from where I had my other sticks cut after I realized I had them a little too long. That felt good, stick handling was much improved, and I shoveled a a nice goal top shelf in front of the net. I'm afraid to say I got used to the grip on the last stick and felt like I couldn't get anything on any of my wrist/snap/slap shots. I didn't have that problem with my first non stick RS so I just need to get used to it again. Also I'm going to re-tape the top as I made a change there that I'm not totally happy with. It sucks there is no stick and puck at all this week.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

Had my first D league game yesterday evening. Was a mix of new players, D league regulars and some C leaguers who apparently couldn't find a team for this season. Bit miffed that they allowed some of those guys to play down (one had 4 of his team's 5 goals) but aside from that I had a blast. An hour and a half for drills and a game each Sunday plus stick and pucks is going to do me a world of good.

Nice man keep at it. If you eventually feel comfortable enough maybe come suit up for the Saturday night pickup. There has been a few very new guys playing too. As for the C guys in your league someone mentioned that to me after I got screwed on the fall league, but I couldn't see how playing down in D would be enjoyable for me.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Since we are on the subject I'm having serious issues with my snap shots. I cant get any consistent velocity and accuracy. It either flicks quickly and hits the net ok or flies over and the puck either flutters or even tumbles end over end. I've been trying to adjust my mechanics and trying different techniques I've seen in vids but I can't seem to get the shot to snap. The best I can muster is a sort of flick of the stick that moves quickly but doesn't really have good follow through. I wish I had a place to practice off ice.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Next week will mark 4 years on the ice for me, and my wrister is ok, but it seems that 90% of shooting in game is snap situations. Also love that quick release when I see them done right and it bugs me that I can't do that consistently.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Made it back out to pickup after being lazy for the last couple months. It was a good skate, but I need to stop taking time off, and I need to drop some weight. My girl came out and took my camera and got some cool shots though.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Jofa helmet spotted, stop, picking on the elderly.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea you should get into hockey, photography, and cars. Why do I hate money?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I have some fat I can lend you, keep it as long as you like.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

It sucks getting out of the hockey routine. I havent skated since November. I need to kick my rear end back on the ice. Going to make the effort to get to the stick and puck tonight. Of course the weekly pickup game is cancelled this week, but I guess I can get some free skate in this weekend to help with the rust instead.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I tried to get out to pickup this weekend but it was already full an hour before start. :cry:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

DeNofa posted:

Me and another guy (forgot his username) are representing the frozen North (Carolina)!!

Very frozen here in CLT!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Anybody planning on attending any pickup games in the Charlotte, NC area this Saturday? Me and a buddy of mine will be driving up there to play. You'll have a goalie to take slappers at (I'm training myself not to flinch).

The pineville icehouse usually has a satuday night pickup at 10:30. I've been lazy or busy and haven't been in months. I need to get off my rear end and go.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Vargatron posted:

I try and get in the beer league mindset before pickup games... For some reason I decided to act Canadian and drink Labatt.

Nice, my Saturday was a mess and I didn't make it out. How was the turn out? Last time I tried to go to pickup it was already filled up at 9:30.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

You rang?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Vargatron posted:

I goaltended a pickup game in Charlotte last night where it was pretty much nothing but college players for some reason. I know about 20 seconds into the first shift that things were going south in a hurry. That and defense decided not to play the whole night, so I was getting backdoor chip ins scored on my the whole time.

I know defense is optional in a pick up game, but gently caress, trying to make saves on a 3-0 is impossible.

Which rink?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Extreme Ice. If you were there, I was the goalie in the /r/hockeyplayers jersey.

No I wasn't there. I was curious as I'm trying to get back into playing regularly and realized the Pineville rink doesn't have Saturday pickup currently. I've been to EI but not for a while as I ran into the same thing you did. The ratio of superstars to old beer league guys was lop sided and the superstars took it way too seriously.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Week 1.5 with hellacious lace-bite. Anyone got any tips other than vitamin-I, ice, rest, and beer?

I always make sure the laces are flat and not twisted thin. Keeps it from digging in so much.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Anybody in Charlotte playing at Pineville tonight at 10:45? I'll be out there breaking in my shiny new Vaughn pads. Will also be letting in a lot of soft goals so it will be a D League snipers dream.

I'm recovering from surgery but let me know how the Friday night skate is. I've only been to the Saturday night games.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Those uniforms are racist.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

Hockey camp was pretty much the poo poo when we were squirts and peewees. Our teams would get together and all go to one at Bowdoin College in Maine and it was always one of the best parts of the summer.

Was it with the Russo's?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Development posted:

hah he is moving

Oh wtf he's coming to play in my leagues, just as I'm thinking of mounting a comeback.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Bloody hell.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

It's a goon hockey miracle! Sorry I've been drinking, I need moar hockey.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Speaking of sticks, what are you guys into lately? Before I stopped playing a few years ago my favorite was the Easton Stealth RS. I'm hoping to get back into playing next month after my second dose and was thinking of trying a new stick, but I'm not sure what would be close or a decent deal.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

So from all the replies everyone has given I'm guessing you've figured out by now you get to play the high dollar game of trial and error what kind of stick do I like? I was a Bauer only guy for a long time, like my youth through young adult but eventually I stopped liking them for whatever reason. Then I was a whatever is on sale guy but I got a lot of sticks I hated during that but that strategy eventually landed me on Warriors now. I know most sticks are all basically the same and my skill level is so low that it doesn't really matter but mentally for some reason the Warrior does it for me. I was an 87+ flex guy but I had to move down to a 75 flex when my hips started going bad and couldn't use them in my shooting as much as I used to. Good luck finding something you like.

Back to sticks! Yea sticks like so much of the equipment in hockey is subjective and depends on you and how you play/shoot etc. Was just curious since I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread lately. I too was into Bauer before I bought that first Stealth RS way back when. It was my first higher end stick, and I was surprised how great it felt, the weight, the pop, it felt so good. Looking at my sticks again I also noticed how wide the shaft was on the Bauer's I had compared to it. It's funny you mentioned Warrior, I just ordered a Alpha QX on clearance yesterday. I'm curious to see how the taper they have on the shaft feels.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

Got my first vaccine this weekend, the end of the tunnel is in sight.

Stinky Socks is running a draft league at the Bruins practice rink this summer, tempted to join it if the teams will be as evened out as they say (they won’t) but also scared of paying a bunch to play in a league that tells me I’m bad at hockey and the last overall pick.

Are they trying to cover a broad skill range?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Trip report. First pickup in like 5 or 6 years this AM. I suck in the mornings, and also hit a detour on the way to the rink, and got dressed too slow. So I missed warmups which I really fuckin needed. My skate wasn't tight enough on one side and I just got a new sharpen, so I fell 3 or 4 times on my first shift, and felt awful. It was supposed to be a beginner/intermediate level but I've never been to this skate, and didn't know how it would be. It def was more of a wide range of skills than I expected. My rust was thick and crusty. Also I had to take off the CCM mask it was impairing my vision too much. I was pretty dead by the end but started to get things coming back. My first good open shot went flying over the top corner. I really needed to get a feel for this new stick. This all would be fine except the summer league draft is Saturday, and I don't feel ready to try and get on a C team at all yet.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

Just think how much of a stud you’ll be when you end up on a team below your skill level and you finally start performing

The bottom is C3 and they already did the draft a couple weeks ago so I don't know what will happen. I signed up for the stick and puck and open pickup after the draft Saturday so I have some reps coming.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I decided to wait on doing the summer league. Besides feeling way more rusty I also thought about how much I'm planning to be away this summer, and decided the fall would work way better.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea I'm not a shower at the rink guy either, the cleanliness is questionable, but its more about another whole set of items for me to forget. I just peel off the compression gear and throw on my tshirt and hoodie.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Same, back in May I was able to play a few times and going to go all in for the fall. I got busy in June and by July things were ehh, and I had a long planned trip around the corner so held off from playing.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

On a new team this year and man it's good to go back to not being the captain anymore.

We won 4-2 tonight and I had a dirty goal where I just flung the puck on goal with a ton of traffic in front and it found the back of the net somehow. :toot:

never underestimate pucks on net

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Pleads posted:

I had my first session of learn2play as a goalie tonight and it was fun and good.

It helps that I can already skate and watched a bunch of youtubes so I got to fastforward through the boring "learn to skate" and "goalie fundamental position" part and can start tpushin around the crease in the first session. There was spots for 2 goalies but I'm the only one who signed up so I guess I get 8 hour-long 1-on-1 lessons for like $400 plus 4 games?

That's awesome, what made you want to jump in net?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Nice, I gotta get back on the ice.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

The thing that did the trick for me was a suggestion from some youtube video I think.

Stand on the ice and step one foot over the other and move your other foot back so you are standing straight and facing forward again. Keep repeating moving to either side. After about 4 steps my feet started sliding and moving me backwards and it immediately clicked.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

HA! I found it!. I wasn't sure if I still had the link. Although how-to hockey was great for me back then too, this one goes back even farther:

Whole vid is great but the part with the stepping starts at 2:15 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUaVGu7drs

Fingat
May 17, 2004

If your looking to play hockey my advice would be to work on the things you will be doing during play. Work on turning, stopping, change of direction, transitions, etc. Backwards crossovers are fun to get working but there are things you will use more during play that will be better to work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Suited up for a stick and puck last night. After COVID re-sucking in 21, and then loving my knee up last spring it's been 2 years. I've only had one open skate this year so the rust was pretty thick. Oddly it was my right leg/skate that was more weak than the left side I had injured. Also I think after 10 years or so my laces have lost their usefulness as they kept loosening. Unfortunately my bag got some mold/mildew underneath from keeping in my garage. It's been in there less than a year, and I had it in my last garage for years. I guess this one is a bit more damp. I think the bag is older than my laces, and is too big anyway so probably going to replace it. Hopefully it will help fit in my brz as this was the first time trying to stuff my bag in the trunk and it was awkward.

Might look into new shoulder pads too. The ones I have feel a bit too bulky and look kinda too wide. The back is constantly fighting with the pad on the back of my new pants. I got them after taking a puck into the middle of my torso in 2013 or 14 and may have overcompensated.

My snapshot seems to have gone away. Not that I had much of one to begin with, but now it's a weak noodle shooting muffins. I wish I had a way to practice off ice but my living situation doesn't really support a way to.

But it was great to get back on the ice.