Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:
drat it... my third bauer broke last night (x40). thats like 3 in 1.5 years.

i'm not getting another one even though i really like the backstom/malkin blades.

just a quick question on online stick buying. Anyone buy their sticks online? when you get a senior stick what size does it come in, height wise.

at the shop, there are a bunch of senior sticks, but they all have different heights. I just KNOW what is the right height for me by holding it, how the hell can you tell online? I thought lie had to do with the position of the blade to the ground, but not the length of the shaft. hea hea, shaft :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

Thufir posted:

It should say on the site what the length is. Most are 60", some are 58". I think Eastons are 61" generally. Unless you're pretty tall you should be able to get whatever and get it cut to the right size.

yeah, only some of them have the size stated (hockeymonkey is better than hockeygiant for this).

anyway, I think i will go feel them out before i buy online.

no more bauers though... :(

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

coldwind posted:

No? At least wiki doesn't mention it. Also, this page doesn't think so.

That gorilla glass looks badass (allegedly can withstand a one pound steel ball at 65MPH), but the iPhone doesn't seem to be made with it.

Bauer is awesome. One95 is amazing. Great feel, great durability, amplified mid kick turns your slapshot into a literal rocket. Trail of smoke and all that.

break on the shot of what i would assume, is a 12 year old girl in travel league (me)

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

coldwind posted:

Are you still talking about Bauer sticks? You mentioned you broke 3 in 1.5 years. Which is really not that bad. Also, you broke x40's, not One95's. The One95 has a well-deserved (IMO) reputation for quality puck feel, great slapshots and durability. For the past 4 months, I've cycled two while I practiced my slapshots, taking probably about 50 slapshots a week. They're still stiff as the day I bought them.

I bought a One95 and XXXV, and then the x40 after those two broke. I play about 2 times a week as I have 3 teams. The One95 lasted the longest 10 months maybe. But the x40 and XXXV were lasted what I would consider 6 months each. I know that's not BAD, but One95s are ~$200, the x40 and XXXV were ~$150. That gets expensive.

I have an easton synergy that hasn't broke other than the toe when I got pissed. So I replaced the blade and that has been my back up. I just went to the shop on the way home yesterday and got a Easton EQ30. We'll see how long this lasts. I wanted a warrior but they didn't have any under 100 flex and i'm a big baby man.

But I got a "hall" curve. Reminds me of a Sakic, Maybe that's what it is but with a new name. (EDIT:cause it is, drat it!!!).

Oh well. If this lasts 6 months, than maybe it doesn't matter. My wood sticks lasted so much longer as a kid. But I hate how they feel now. :(

Nizox fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 3, 2011

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

gigabitnokie posted:

I have this thing about learning how to play a sport while there are referees, a timekeeper, emotions, poo poo like that. If you want to learn how to play hockey I'd be more than glad to lend any support I can at a stick n shoot, pick-up, scrimmage league, clinics, anything but the one time per week that I actually care about doing better than the other team.

Disclaimer: My rink has a "Lowest level of competition available" but does not have a "Beginners league", so my feelings are fairly universal for this area.

What do you win though? I feel the same way, but I also check my emotions at the door when it's beer league hockey. It's supposed to be fun, and while winning is always nice, in the end it really gets you nowhere. Except in HNA, if anyone plays in HNA and is going to toronto for the champions tournament, let me know haha.

Really though, I'm on 3 teams and I run one, there is a fine line that people will accept between winning all the time, and losing all the time. And it can't be one or the other, it has to be both.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Flip side: I've been the worst guy on a B league team. It was frustrating as hell. I'm a decent skater, and most of the guys out there were happy to just be playing. But what absolutely killed the experience for me was the one guy on our team who was a complete douche about it. Chiding me for not making plays, always calling for the puck when it was on my stick because he thought he could make a better play.

Do any of us here really want to be that guy? In some no-name league with nothing on the line except whether or not the guys in the locker room think you're a prick?

A team I was on had this guyt that just WASNT good. He's freaking 68 or something and man, hes old. But his kid (whos 45, and is older than the 68y/o's wife) played with us too.

One day after a bad game one of the guys was just totally a douche and was talking about kicking the dad off the team, infront of his kid.

What the gently caress? I hope when I'm almost 70, I can play beer league with my kid.

That rear end in a top hat didn't get an invite back next season and no one was unhappy about it.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

cenzo posted:

So I'm a little late to this party, but hockey is better enjoyed late than never.

How hard is the transition from inline to ice? I started playing inline again about a year ago after taking enough time off to get nice and cherub-like plump, but now I want to expand my horizons.

Also, I've done a bit of research of the rinks in my area but none of them appear to have a stick and puck schedule. Any Philly and/or South/Central Jersey goons care to suggest a quality location where I can make a fool of myself attempting this transition?

not in the area, but the best place to start is to just go to some open skates and start getting a feeling for the ice.

then look for some learn to play hockey clinics. You may already know how to shoot, pass, etc, but hockey skating has a few ins and outs that is best learned, in my opinion, at a clinic or with a bit of instruction, just to get you started on the right foot... skate.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

robcat posted:

what's the general preferred method to hold up socks if you aren't using the compression shorts w/ velcro? Do most people use a garter, or is it faster/easier to just tape them up?

clear tape.

works on everything. and is designed to stay snug even with the movement of your legs.

i have velcro on my jock, but even without it. tape around hamstring / quad, your socks wont fall. i also tape my shin guards though because i like them tight.

like your mom.

:dance:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

coldwind posted:

General preferred is probably tape.

That said, I don't tape or velcro my socks at all and they stay in place just fine without it.

Bullshit, they don't sell officially licensed Reebok EDGE sweatpants.

To be serious, though, I don't think there's any way I could do sweatpants. With compression, a jock, sweatpants and hockey pants, that's just too many layers. Too many layers. Man, doesn't it get hot? There's no way sweatpants breathe as well as knit socks.

You're also that weird guy out there in sweat pants.

I think the new edge hockey socks, (the compression material) stay up much better than the knit ones and breathe really well. But I have'nt tried them.

few dudes I play with have them and they really like em.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

zinc68 posted:

I present to you my beer league arena.

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

Sells beer.... Zheesh, we always have some random rear end in a top hat in random places yelling at us for having beer.

Some places are cool and some arent because they're "park" property. Sometimes, the rear end in a top hat at the rink just wants to be a douche. And sometimes, some park cop feels that the park parking lot isn't an OK place to drink beer.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

Habibi posted:

One of the best players I have the pleasure of knowing wears sweat pants and looks really silly right up until he makes his opponents look even sillier.

i bet everyone hates that guy.

they're like, that jerkoff ringer in the sweat pants.

really though, what ever works for you is best. and I wouldn't worry about fitting in. just play, obviously dudes who are good look weird as hell, but who cares?

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

First hatty of the season during our first win of the season :toot:

Too bad the scorekeeper dicked up the score sheet. Only got credit for 2 of my 3. :argh:

well then it doesn't count.

:v:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

xzzy posted:

How will you ever become pro if you don't have a dryer to practice shots on? :colbert:

Well, perhaps he could become a pro at recieving head injuries. Some people are getting paid very well for that these days.

:science:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

shyguy posted:

Finally got back on the ice for the first time in about 8 months, and had the rink to myself for a full 2 hours :buddy:

thats pretty nice. :\ lucky...

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

just got back from the HNA Championship Tournament in Toronto. I was expecting a bunch of rear end in a top hat from each respective city, but the teams we played against were all pretty civil. I was really suprised at how good the atmosphere was.

Goes to show that hockey can still bring out the good in people, once the game is over anyway!

Anyone here even play HNA and make it out to the finals?

I think the real finals (A league?) is in vegas. That's most likely even better.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

last night.

So there's 30 minute left, we're on the PK, they pulled the goalie and after spending 45 seconds in our zone I get the puck and clear it to the net and it's going in.

Then the guy that just got out of the box sprints over and taps it in.

Haha. It's cool cause he got me a beer.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

So some fatass, 5'9", 275 Pounds, all jelly, want's to throw his weight around all night last night. To include an open ice leveling of on of our tiny, not very good skaters. (This could be due to his in ability to stop that much weight)

During the second period he starts to just start throwing me into the boards and generally playing like a douche, taking some penalties. Anyway fast forward to the beigning of the third, I get a break on their line change (was playing D), and it's me and 2 of their D, one of which was this fatty. So as I skated up I said "come on fatty, come on fatty." and proceeded to score.

He didn't shake my hand after the game :iiam:.

It was a dick move, and I kinda felt bad, but the guy deserved it.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

EDIT: Sorry you're in Cleveland. But at least you're not Detroit!

Doctor Butts posted:

I am trying to learn how to inline skate and hopefully start playing ice hockey eventually.

Assuming I ever learn to skate faster than 5 mph and learn to turn, what's the best sort of beginner (ice) league to join? Some dude I play floor with keeps asking if I wanted to join Hockey North America, has anyone ever tried that?

HNA is ok. They are a league that finds rinks in an area, and buys icetime/refs/scorekeepers and then sells that to the player. As opposed to a league being run out of 1 specific rink. For beginners though, it's great!

HNA has a beginner program that will take someone who has never played hockey, put them on a team of beginners, and coach them through 5 sessions, and then coach them through 5 games at the lowest level. They go through all the basics I believe, and teach you about your edges, how to properly skate, and some hockey sense.

That team is then the newest entry in their lowest league in the area, and can sometimes turn into a great group. Other times, it turns into a raging pile of dickheads who think they're better than one another. It will get you into ice hockey, and that's how you meet new players and find other teams, so it's a good deal either way.

If you can get good at inline skating, it should make the transition to ice easier. But really, it will still be hard. It's best to just get out on the ice. I bet you could sign up for the next winter HNA beginner team in your area, as fall/winter sign-ups just came out around here.

Nizox fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

bewbies posted:

So I got a nice surprise today. A few months ago I ordered a Combat 52 Cal, but they didn't have the pattern that I wanted. They went ahead and sent me a similar pattern, which I've been using since then.

Today I get home and there is a hockey stick on my porch. Combat decided to send me a free stick to say sorry for not having the pattern I wanted before.

I think I'm in love.

How do you like this combat stick? I swore off Bauers a while ago since they kept breaking on me, and I have a warrior and easton I swap between now. I like them, but I think I scored more with the bauer. But that's most likely a lie, since I tore my ACL and only came back about 1 month before I broke my last bauer.