Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
As far as equipment goes, I'd like to add that people should at least consider some sort of neck guard. I wear one of these:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPLSI

It's a nice undershirt and I don't even feel the neck guard. Call me a pussy, whatever. I've got a 2 year old and another on the way, I don't want to risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
bewbies: Great topic on shooting. I basically do not do slapshots ever in a game situation. I never get anything on them and they're always worm burner shots. I've found that the majority of my shooting goals come from snapshots or wristers. Beginners should practice these 2 shots more than any other type because they are effective immediately. Slapshots take time to learn and develop to be an actual weapon, especially if you're a forward.

Also important to develop as a forward is the backhander. I do have 1 backhanded goal this season because an idiot on the other team didn't clear the puck on the boards, he thought he could fire it up the middle, right where I was forechecking. Caught the puck on my forehand, brought it to my backhand and got it 5 hole past the goalie. My friend who is a goalie has told me that backhanders are some of the hardest to stop because you can't gauge the release point very well. Keep that in mind. It's also really easy to practice against the boards during a stick and puck session. Also if you're roofing backhanders, the ladies in the sports bar will all flock to you after the game.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is funny because it's true. One of the guys on my team has a 10ish year old kid, who makes it a point to tell me the Red Wings suck every time I see him.

Well, he's right, you know.

I've found that I play better when I have a beer before my games. I think it loosens me up or something, but I skate and play a LOT better. That's why they call it beer league, right?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Topoisomerase posted:

Haha, I noticed they put the curling marks on the ice. Was all :stare:

Vacaville's had them for awhile, though...

Center rink at Sharks Ice has the curling dots, screws me up all the time. My angles are off for shooting.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

You KNOW you want to play DD ;)

I can't! If I play in DD, I can't play in the lower leagues due to the new house rules. :(

Topoisomerase posted:

That's the only surface at Sharks Ice I haven't played on - every tournament I've gone to there has been in an adult womens' division and I think they try to stash us in the corners. :laugh:

It's my least favorite rink to play on because the ice quality on it is often very poor thanks to figure skaters and/or open skate.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

My E team is moving up to DDDDD because of the rules.

You guys are going to have a great playoffs in E, any team can take it. Good luck in that.

Our EE team has NO chance of winning the entire thing because there are 3 or 4 teams over in the East division that are loaded with ringers.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

You know whats awesome? using a ringer goalie in the playoffs

Same thing happened to Rotarians when they played Gang Green. Gang Green rolled out 2 former Jr. Sharks players, one playing D, one playing Goalie. Beat Rotarians in a shootout.

Yeah Gang Green, the team that won 3 games ALL season is moving on to the semis.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I can't stop laughing at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcUcw7rDuw&feature=related

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anyone have a good method for getting iron-on numbers off their jersey? I have picked and scratched a good chunk of the old numbers off, but there's still too much there for new numbers to be heat-pressed on according to the guy with the heat press. If I can't get these numbers off, I'm thinking of buying tackle twill numbers and sewing them over the remains of the ironed on numbers. I suppose that will work.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
poser: I'm playing down in EEE this season with my buddy. Trying to learn how to play D and improve my defensive game. Plus I'm going to miss a bunch of time this summer and I figure a EEE team can survive without me. I'll probably head up to E in the winter.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Awesome:cool:

:lol: Keep me updated on how you guys do this summer. What's your team name?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

My ice game last night.. we had 9 skaters and 6 of them were former roller players playing their first ever ice game. We got smoked 12-4 but it was pretty fun watching everyone fall all over the place.

How many offside calls? How many guys sitting at center waiting for the home run pass?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Only two offsides!

The wingers played along the boards(correctly) in the D zone but the D always cleared it to the center(right to the other team) looking for the home run pass.

Last season I had 2 roller guys, and one of them played LW on my line occasionally. I got so frustrated because he would never play positional hockey. He'd be all over the place and it drove me bonkers. Not to mention how many times he'd throw us offside on a rush up the ice. He did it once on a 3 on 1 and the center for our line threw a fit and yelled at him. I told him to come to a Gretzky hour sometime and we'd work on that, but he never did. Our captain finally moved him down to the third line with the other 2 degenerates. Figure we should keep them all on one line rather than gently caress up the other lines.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Oh hi new skates! (Reebok 10k's)

I wish I wasn't in the middle of my final finals week or I would be skating right now.

Those are sweet. Are Reebok's the kind of skates that douchebag Ryan Smyth and Matt Duchene wear?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Benson Cunningham posted:

All I know is that Crosby wears 11k's. Not that I think I will suddenly be able to skate like him.

They are Reeboks, just don't know what model. They are gross and disgusting and douchebag-looking. Hehehehe..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

I rock these

Those are nice. Reminds me a little of the Jaromir Jagr Graf specials.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

WouldDesk posted:

We now must commission a study to find whether black or white skates have any potential to hide foot positioning when a defender is looking at you. Those skates own by the way.

White skates = You are a douchebag like Ryan Smyth and Matt Duchene. I think that dickhead Kovalev wears them too.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Sharks Ice gives the winning team a coupon for Buy 2, get 1 free pitchers. Sometimes we share with the opposing team if they were cool.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'm probably in my worst scoring slump since I've started playing hockey. I've gone 5 games without a goal, only picking up 3 assists in those 5 games. Disclaimer: I have played on D for 2 of those games.

I really do need to hit some Gretzky hours and work on some stuff. My shooting accuracy on wristers has gone to poo poo and that is my bread and butter when playing forward.

I'm seriously considering buying a practice net to work on shots, I remember from the old thread, someone had made a shooting surface to put some pucks down and fire them at the net.. any suggestions on that?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

I have a net you can have.

I might take you up on that.

Of course, I post a whiny bitch post like mine yesterday and last night, I rang one in off the goalie's skates from an odd angle shot. Maybe I should bitch more often.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Henrik Zetterberg: One thing you could suggest to the director is put a stop to allowing teams from bringing in subs from the Silver division.

At Sharks Ice, they've somewhat put a clamp down on ringers in the lower divisions. Basically if you're playing in one of the higher leagues, you cannot play in the lower divisions or you (or your captain) will be suspended. I have noticed that it's actually working. This season has been far better in terms of that and there's less of the "coast to coast Derek Roy shitheads (what up, sba?)" out there.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Where you playing next season?

I think we're going to move up to EE. I'm enjoying playing on this team I'm on now. We're all fairly decent, but we're focusing on learning how to play the game properly. Which means actually having faceoff plays and focusing on D-zone positioning and breakouts and what not. It's actually starting to come together, which is really cool.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Nice, but having seen you play you could handle yourself in the D leagues no problem.

I think I could hang in 5D, mayyybe 4D... above that though, I doubt it, I'm just not that fast enough on my skates yet. It'll come in time I'm sure. I probably will need to drink less beer and lose 15 pounds! hahahah

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on pants?

I wear these:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EQ3HP

I like the high tailbone protector. Helps when you fall on your rear end, which I have a tendency to do when trying crossovers from left to right.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

toxicsunset posted:

I feel like 10 people + goalie is perfect. 6f, 4d, two lines of each. Nobody bitches about ice time and poo poo doesnt get complicated like it does when you have an extra guy or two.

We roll with 11 or 12 depending on who's around...

So it's either 7F (2 lines + 1 floater), 4D or
8F (3 lines, with the centers rotating between them all) + 4D.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chemmy posted:

San Jose goons: my gear arrives in SJ next week. Anybody want a player?

Perfect timing, summer season is starting to wrap up. Winter league is firing up, you could get a team easily. What skill level are you?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
OK, so you know how I bitched about my lack of goal scoring? Scratch that... got a hatty on Saturday night.

And I can't sub for you, poser! I'll lose my lower league ringer status! heheheh...

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Besides playing with a tennis ball and a stick, are there any other good stickhandling drills I can do on dry ground? Mainly, I want to focus on getting better at carrying the puck up ice with my head up and maybe do a few jukes here and there. Everytime I try a juke, I lose the puck or the D-man whacks it off my stick.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Good stuff! As always, SAS comes through. Thanks!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'll definitely buy a few of those pucks, they look great. Thanks!

I think if I back my car out of the garage, I could have a nice surface that is almost like ice. One other thing that happens to me all the time is that I often will stickhandle and the puck will get off my stick and take off down the ice because... well, it's ice.. So I think using a training puck like that on smooth concrete will help immensely.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Stringer_Bell posted:

I was just at a coaching clinic last weekend. One thing that most players do is make their moves too late. Once you are in stick range, it is too easy for the D to poke the puck away.

So when is the right time to make the move? Right before they are in stick range?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Martytoof posted:

I don't really follow the Player thread so sorry if this was already mentioned, but I just took my skates to SportChek to get them sharpened and they said that sharpening is free in the month of August. I don't know if this is just MY local store doing it, or whether it's nationwide but I guess if you want to try and save five bucks then go get your skates done at SportChek before the end of the month.

You need to skate out like my goalie friend does. He's actually becoming a hell of a sniper. Although last night, he reverted back into goalie form and went down to block a shot with his hand when we were up 8-1 with 2 minutes left in the third. We gave him grief about that after the game. :lol:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anybody have some defensive advice for my beer league team? We're going up against a team that has 2 ridiculous ringers on Saturday. Both guys should not be playing down in this lower league, and their whole team strategy is to pass to one of them and let them go coast to coast and score. These 2 guys are literally their entire offense.

Last time we played them, we shutdown one of them, but the other lit us up. Any advice would be appreciated.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Have the worst guy on your team get in a fight with him so they both get kicked out.

Get in passing lanes to they get the puck
Flight their sticks like crazy
If you know they wont pass, double team
Make sure your strongest wingers/D are on their side of the ice

Last game, I took a double minor for boarding and body check on their best ringer. He was whining on the ground, "What the gently caress man? What the gently caress?"... Not going to do that again as I don't want to risk being tossed, but someone had to put a body on him.

All good advice... One of the ringers is a winger, the other plays D. I think for the winger one, we'll make sure to keep one D back playing center field. Not sure how to handle the D guy, other than our wings stay on him like glue. Hard to do when most of our wings can't skate worth a drat.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

WouldDesk posted:

Because they double as paintball jerseys.

This... or motocross jerseys. This team I played against when I played roller was made up of a bunch of motocross guys, and their jerseys were these awful, horrible neon green abominations. They also wore those David Lee Roth Van Halen pants with tiger stripes and poo poo...

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Alizee posted:

I also decided to go with a full cage for various reasons. A lot of which being people are bad, I'm bad, I like my face.

Are you getting paid to play hockey? No? Wear a full cage.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Robo-Pope posted:

My first game in my current league I took two sticks and a puck to the cage... in my first two shifts. Never dropping the cage after that.

Although I'm considering the shield/cage combo... gotta look like a Mighty Ducks villain.

A bunch of guys I play with wear these:

http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/

They swear by them. I have been thinking about one, but to be honest, the cage really doesn't bother my vision at all.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sba posted:

you do, Skatetown and Vacaville :v:

I did timekeeping for a 3v3 tourney at Skatetown on Sunday and afterwards there was a BBQ, some of the guys were pretty cool, so I have a little bit more faith about eventually playing there once I'm a bit more settled in the area.

You still have to take a road trip down to Sharks Ice and let us San Jose goons take shots at you.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sba posted:

Despite all the great food in Davis, I really only ever want In-N-Out...as a East Coast transplant, will this eventually go away?

No. I have to limit myself to In-N-Out to once a month, or else I'd turn into Dustin Penner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

What do you drink before/during/after a game? I find myself dehydrated for most the next day after games.

Before: Lots of water. I actually drink 24 oz. driving over to Sharks Ice
During: Gatorade or water
After: Beer.