Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Topoisomerase posted:

I played defense today.

I haven't played defense since high school 10 years ago

I still got it. :smug:

I played defense on the weekend and heard a lot of "UP THE loving BOARDS" from the bench when I kept passing out of the defensive zone through the middle... whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

crossovers

Coldwinds advice is pretty good. The most important thing to remember is that a crossover is TWO pushes - your inside foot pushes "behind" on the outside edge while the outside foot is crossing over in front, and then the front foot pushes on the inside edge while you bring your inside foot back up. You should be able to hear your skate against the ice on both legs. So yeah, you'll be kind of pushing the inside foot back against the outside edge.

Keep practicing man. Do semi-circles on the inside edges and outside edges if you have some balancing trouble (especially the outside edge is tough for some people to get used to.)

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
I know the outside edge push feels weird when you're learning, but really you should get straight onto it, it'll also help with thinking of it as a "crossunder," (btw I never thought of it that way but it is a better characterization.)

What will help you a LOT is doing small semicircles on your outside edges. Don't hold them for ages and ages, just do nice little semicircles alternating legs, you should end up skating up the ice in a

(
)
(
)

shape turning on your outside edges. Now the only way to keep any speed up while doing this is to push off your outside edge as you're changing sides. You'll probably find it pretty hard at first but just grind it and it'll make crossovers much easier.

As an aside, you should also try to do tight semicircles on your inside edge rather than gliding forward for as long as possible, since the benefits of edge control are faster turning and stopping, not gliding off into the sunset :P

And assume there is a second coach standing beside you at all times and all he is doing is yelling "BEND YOUR loving KNEES," because thats basically the first month of my unofficial rookie training course.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

bewbies posted:

This is another good one, it gives me nightmares. We used to have to do this until we couldn't feel our legs anymore :(

Hahaha gently caress this drill forever. I've got a crap knee and when I do this all I think is "Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch."

xzzy posted:

"practice pads"

You should be able to get full shin guards and some hockey elbows pretty cheap, otherwise you can try going to a skate shop (as in skateboard) and just buy some hard plastic knee and elbow pads. You definitely want to minimize that fear of falling to improve as fast as possible, most of the falls I see beginners make is because of not trusting their edges enough, not shifting their weight enough, not committing when they'd be fine if they just weren't so freaked out about maybe falling over.

As everyones already reiterated, don't be put off by the outside edge drill, outside edges are supposed to be hard and getting used to them will make a big difference.

Bend your knees more.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Sexy Randal posted:

Is blocking shots frowned up in rec hockey?

I've never heard of people having a problem with this, I say if you're in a position to block a shot, block it. Do people really get ridiculed for trying too hard??

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
What do you guys know about the current lineup of Easton skates? I've got ultra lite pros I bought 6 or 7 years ago and I love them, I've only been using them intensively and playing league hockey for about a year but they still feel pretty solid.

From what I find online about current Easton skates they seem to be known for falling apart pretty quickly. I'm only really sticking to them cos most of my first gear was Easton but I imagine the skates have changed significantly over the last decade. Are they still worth getting or should I migrate to a different brand skate?

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Surfing Turtle posted:

I know a guy who wore them all the time and the one time he didn't of course he took one in the foot and broke it lol. If you're planning on getting in front of a lot of shots then it's probably a good investment.

I didn't even know what skate fenders were but I looked them up and surely no amount of protection is worth looking that dorky.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
Has everyone been having minute silences before their games? My league did and I'm in Australia so I imagine every hockey league in the world must have done it.

On a happier note my team handed the top team their 3rd and final loss in a 20 game season (and the second loss to us.) They could only respond by accusing half our team of being ringers.

And I just got some RbK 9Ks in time for the playoffs!

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

poser posted:

So I paid $1135 for 1.5 seasons of hockey:smith:

Haha I paid $913 for 1 season of hockey, and thats the normal price! :australia:

The saddest thing though is that my season finished yesterday with a semi-final loss...

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

I'm glad I bought heavy pads because I've developed a knack for standing in someone's way when they're about to shoot.

The top team this year in my league had a big dude that liked to slap em from the point, and he was usually their most dangerous goal scorer too. In the semi's we were crowding him as soon as he got the puck so he couldn't get a shot off, so he just started slapping em right into us before he even reached the blue line. I almost caught one in the gap between my pants and pads but luckily my stick was in the way.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

I love those lace locks Reebok puts on, but drat if their foot shape doesn't cause me some grief. :gonk:

Bad luck buddy, I just got a pair of 9K's and those things have fit me snuggly with no pain day 1 without baking, I must have the most average feet in the world.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
Just got back from a scrimmage. One of our laziest players somehow ends up on a breakaway and goes wide towards the net with the puck on his backhand. The goalie slides across fast on his knees expecting some sort of deke, to watch the puck saunter into goal at half a metre per second off the backhand :hfive:

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

Ice skating is relatively easy on joints, assuming you avoid full speed runs into the boards.

I can vouch for this, I can't run on solid ground because of bum knees but I can skate hard for an hour no problem. That's probably one of the reasons there are NHL players well into their 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Flyinglemur posted:

My prep is me driving to the rink saying "don't gently caress up don't gently caress up don't gently caress up" over and over until I almost get sick. Then try to get dressed in the right order (happens MOST of the time) and then make sure the skate guards are off before I hit the ice.

This made me laugh because its identical to my pre-game, except the "don't gently caress up" mantra continues throughout the game, only changing to "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" when I get possession.

One week our designated jersey monkey forgot our jerseys, and he lived 90 minutes away from the rink. Luckily we could scrounge enough black together to avoid forfeit, and then we beat the leagues best team for the one and only time. They weren't happy to be beaten by a middlin tier team that can't even remember jerseys.