Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but maybe? I get brutal acne on my forehead every week after my hockey game, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not usually prone to breakouts but I think all the sweat and bacteria in the helmet just destroys it. Does this happen to anyone else and how can I prevent it? Are there wipes or something I can use after/during the game? I always wash my face as soon as I get home but it's not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

dms666 posted:

I started wearing one of the underarmour skull caps for inline last season, since it is usually 100* in there in the summer. I will not play without one again after trying one once, might help with that, not sure though.

Bought one of these today, thanks for the suggestion. If it keeps my head as cool as it makes me look I think we'll be in business!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been playing ball hockey for about five years but I decided to make the switch to real hockey because my ball hockey league kind of sucks and real hockey is way more fun. I'm about halfway through a ten-week beginner clinic that I'm going to be taking again and I have a couple of gear questions:

Skates

Right now my skates are used CCM Tacks that I picked up for $80. I'm having a really hard time stopping, either doing hockey stops or even snow plow stops. I've tried doing the stationary "shave the ice" thing to find my edges and I'm having a hard time even doing that. Are the skates contributing to the problem or do I just need more practice?

Should I be looking into new skates anyway? When I bought these ones all I wanted to do was go to public skates now and then, but since starting this clinic I've realized my calling in life is to play lovely adult hockey 3x/week until I die.

Sticks

I'm in need of a new stick (the concrete floor at ball hockey chews up composite blades) and I think now is probably a good time to switch blade patterns, sizes, etc. since I'm transitioning from a ball to a puck. Is there a good middle of the road blade pattern that I should use? The one I stuck to in ball hockey was very open faced but I'm not liking that so much for the puck, it makes it a lot harder to get any lift. I'm also a small guy, 5'5" or 5'6" and about 140-145lbs. Should I be looking at intermediate sticks or seniors? Should I be getting into a lower flex number given that I don't have a lot of weight and I'm going to making the stick fairly short?

Also I've heard some people say that shorter players can benefit from cutting their sticks a bit longer than average. I actually play with a really long stick in ball hockey (cut to about my brow) but the game is also played on a really small surface where nobody has any space anyway.

Thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see if I can pick up a PM9 or equivalent on sale on Boxing Day. I'm also going to see it I can find out if my skates are sharpened too deep but I do totally get that a better skater would do just fine with what I've got. It's just that I can't do the beginner "hold on the boards and shave the ice" exercise that has me wondering if something isn't set up right for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

All you need is a 1/2 radius. If you tell the guy to sharpen your skates and leave it at that or just say normal that's basically what you're going to get. You don't adjust hollow to ease in learning to stop and given your height/weight you could probably get away with more bite.

Put more weight on your toes. If you can't shave the ice odds are your weight is too far back. Be aware there are edges per skate as well.

Also check the lacing on your skates. Do they move around?

Yeah I definitely just want a normal radius, I'm not sure what they would have given me when I bought the skates, they didn't ask. I'll definitely try the weight on the toes thing, I got that same advice for skating backwards and it helped a lot. Not quite sure what you mean about the laces moving around? Like are my feet moving around inside the skate? Maybe a little? A couple times I've had to re-tighten my skates on the bench about halfway through the class. I have waxed laces but I'm still kinda figuring out how tight they need to be.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

They should probably be less tight than you're making them. But whatever you're comfortable with.

All weight to the toes. If you think it's forward enough I'd probably keep moving forward. Knees bent. Then it's a feel of cutting the ice and from there once you feel it throwing your hips into it. Don't do this until you know the feeling of having cut the ice or you'll be picking yourself up off the ice

I'm learning with full gear on, I don't mind falling! I'm hoping to get a public skate in before my class on Saturday but if not I'll give all this a try on Saturday, thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hey neat all this hemming and hawing about whether I need new skates is moot, because I got new skates for Christmas! Merry Christmas hockey player thread, what'd you guys get?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got my new skates out on the ice for the first time today. I still can't hockey stop very well (not that I was expecting to be able to) but I can at least shave ice from a standing position now. We were doing edge work and on crossovers (which I also have a ton of trouble with) I was slipping and sliding quite a bit vs. my old skates which bit really hard. But at least now I know for sure the issues are me and not my skates.

I also picked up an intermediate stick and I really like it. By the time I cut down my senior stick to the right size I'm looking at about 120 flex, and I'm 145lbs.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm thinking about going to rookie shinny on Tuesday at one of the many local rinks here. I've never gone to shinny before, what's the deal? How are teams determined? Do I need to bring multiple jerseys? Do I just pay my money, get changed, and start skating around until someone tells me what to do?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Right now I only have a black jersey but I'm sure I can get a white one before Tuesday. Just bring both jerseys to the bench? I want to make sure no one realizes I'm an idiot until I step on the ice.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Cool, thanks guys. Now to find out if "beginner" means what I think it means.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went to my first drop-in game today. I have confirmed my suspicions that I am very bad at hockey. It was rookie shinny so I don't think anyone minded too much but I was definitely the worst one out there. I tried to skate hard as much as possible and just do what I could but since I have a hard time stopping or quickly changing directions I had to put the brakes on a lot just to avoid running into other players or the boards. Lots of fun though and the couple good passes I made or the times I broke up a play make up for the times I coughed up the puck or fell over in my mind.

I think people must have a pretty broad definition of rookie too, a couple of the guys there were awesome players.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah my legs are on fire but I'm dying to get back out there already. The nice thing about being so green is that at this point it's pretty much impossible for me not to improve.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Why wouldn't you pass to him?!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Why is skating so hard holy cow

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Last night, one of my teammates ran into a guy on the boards with his shoulder, and the door (not the bench doors) popped open and the dude on the other team flew through it. That was good for a laugh.

e: Also, the other wing on my line was screening the goalie, and our D-man fired a wrister right into his balls. He dropped like a sack of bricks and I thought he was going to vomit.

My favourite nut-shot story happened at ball hockey a couple years ago. A couple guys on my team played without a cup because they're loving idiots. We happened to have a game on Valentine's Day and my one friend takes a hard wrister to the pills. He immediately throws his stick, gloves, and helmet down on the concrete, yells "AWWW, I HAVE A HOTEL WITH MY GIRLFRIEND TONIGHT!" and runs out of the game. Still doesn't wear a cup.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If it's low level rec hockey then everyone should get to play some sort of playoff, even if it's just exhibition games against the other bottom teams. I just found out that we didn't "make the playoffs" in my D-tier soccer league so we get less games than people who paid the same amount. That feels like bullshit to me when everyone is just there for fun and exercise and it would feel even more like bullshit if it cost as much to play indoor soccer as it does to play hockey.

My only other suggestion would be that having two small leagues with evenly matched teams is better than one big league where half the games are blowouts. Obviously that's hard to do when you don't know how good the teams are though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

When everyone plays its called the regular season.

You know the number of games you pay for at the top of the season. Anything additional is gravy.

Yeah, might've been poor communication from our team rep. In other leagues I've played everyone plays in the same number of games, just some of those games matter and others are for fun. But yeah I guess it's all in how it's advertised.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have a couple questions about shooting. I've got a shooting pad set up in my basement and I'm trying to get used to shooting a puck and break some of the bad habits I picked up playing ball hockey. I switched to a PM9 curve from the P88 I was using for ball hockey. One thing I've noticed is that if I keep the puck on the toe of the blade for a wrist shot I have an easier time getting it to lift and go where I want, but I know a lot of people say the puck should travel from the heel to the toe when you're shooting. Is starting off the toe a bad habit? Does it matter?

Second question: Right now I have the P88 stick cut down short for practicing in the basement without skates and then the PM9 cut for skate height. Is it worth getting a second PM9 stick for off-ice practice?

Also on the advice of this thread I cut both my sticks down to chin-height and it's a world of difference. It's gonna be a long time before I can play defense effectively on the ice anyway so having a longer stick was getting me nowhere.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went to public skate the other day and actually did crossovers to the point where I felt like I was gaining speed from them rather than just doing the motion awkwardly. Still having trouble with stopping and it's hard to commit to a stop when I don't have gear on at public skate but it's nice to be making progress!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Speaking of shooting pads, I want to buy a net to add to my basement shooting set up, right now I'm just firing at tape on a mattress. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I just want one that's the right size and that I can also potentially hang one of those tarps with the corners cut in.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went to a public skate last night to work on fundamentals and the entire ice was covered in middle schoolers. Some of those kids can skate but drat that's not a good time to practice stops or transitions or backwards skating without taking somebody out. I just want a patch of ice to myself where I can do stops over and over without worrying about who's gonna crash into me. Is that so much to ask!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I brought my girlfriend so it was kind of a date but we are super not teens. Also I brought her because she plays tier 1 women's rec and I want her to teach me to not be terrible. I'm gonna try to take some long lunches and hit some adult skates during the day.

I had no idea skating was so popular with kids though, I don't remember anyone doing it when I was that age except guys who played hockey

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just signed up for my first hockey league, first game on April 29th! So pumped!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm gonna bug you guys for some more stopping advice if you don't mind.

I'm making progress and gaining confidence but still having issues. When I go to hockey stop, it seems like I'm dragging my back foot and it's shaving before my front foot does anything. I was just out with my dad and he said it looks more like I'm trying to transition from forwards to backwards (a move I'm kinda comfortable with at low speeds) rather than stop. I'm having a hard time letting my front foot lead without just digging weight on to my front foot. Even though I know it's ultimately bad form is it good to practice with both feet close together in order to keep the motion down?

I've also been working on snowplowing. I can do the motion and shave the ice with both skates but I just end up with my feet in a wider stance but still traveling forward. I have a super hard time getting my toes pointed inward. Is that just a flexibility thing that I need to practice off-ice? I haven't really had any success with one footed snow plow stops, I can kinda put my foot in place but when I put it down it just catches and I either start turning or start falling.

Making progress though and getting more confident with forward crossovers, backwards skating, and transitions. Found a great adult skate that's 3x/week from 12:00 - 1:30 so lots more opportunities for practice. I really wish I didn't wait until I was 29 to really learn to skate and play hockey.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

:words: about stopping

Thanks! I think you're right that I need to learn to snowplow before I'm going to succeed with anything else. At least I can kinda practice point my toes in at home (my legs really do not want to turn that way).

In terms of player skill talk, the new rookie league I just joined has a really interesting rule. Every player in the league is allowed exactly one hat trick per season. After that they can only get two goals per game, and the ref has the discretion to penalize them for trying to score non-goals to slow the game down. This league is super built around brand new players learning the game, but I think it's a pretty novel idea for keeping the top-tier players (who, at this level are probably still super noobs) from driving the games. There was a team in ball hockey (bottom division) that we always had great games against. Really close, hard games, and they were kinda our friendly rivals for a few seasons. Then some new guy started showing up in a jersey from a division above and they blew us out every time. It was frustrating. I don't play at that place any more because they let poo poo like that go on. He was literally wearing a jersey from a B-division team!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Teeter posted:

Stuff like this blows my mind when I watch NHL hockey now. They are so good at skating and there are so many subtle little things that I never would have noticed before. Things like being on the off wing or receiving bad passes; I wouldn't bat an eye at it before but now I can appreciate the skill it takes to settle a bouncing puck on your backhand without outright tumbling over and blowing the breakout like I tend to do.

I've been playing ball hockey since 2009 and my appreciation for NHL hockey really grew when I picked that up, but god drat it's like a different world when you're trying to learn to skate and watching these guys. I was already impressed with everything they were doing with their sticks, now I realize that it's all 3x as hard because they're skating as well. What a great sport.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait... I'm left handed but I shoot right and I naturally want to stop with my right foot forward. Is that unusual?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it safe to get my skates sharpened at an arena or should I be going to a hockey store?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Vital Signs posted:

What are your options prom candy? Most larger chain stores require training and such with their machine, and the smaller shops are usually learn as you go.

I had stopped working at my local pro shop when I went to college. I had worked there for around 3 years in high school. On holiday breaks the owner would let me come in and I'd have a good chunk of guys who wanted me to sharpen their skates. Hockey players (myself included) are weird about skate sharpening. Mostly because a bad sharpening job will create hell for you until you get it fixed.

I live in Canada so I have tons of options, but I'm at arenas more often than I'm at hockey shops. If it was going to be a shop it would probably be Pro Hockey Life.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Vital Signs posted:

How often do you take your skates in for sharpening?

I dunno! I got new skates for Christmas, I haven't had them sharpened yet since I got them. I've probably put about 6-8 hours in on them. Not really sure how often I should have them sharpened. Also not sure if I want to go for a different radius since I'm pretty light (145lbs and dropping) and I'm having a lot of trouble with stopping.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I wear pads where ever pads will fit. If I can avoid getting hurt within reason I'm going to. I just found out I'm the only guy on my indoor soccer team that wears a cup. I don't care if it's tradition or if not using it gives you a slight advantage, I'm keeping my face and my nuts safe.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Vital Signs posted:

My brother hasn't skated in like 5 years, but he grew up playing hockey as a kid like me. He was shocked at how much of his skating ability he maintained, but his shot has suffered from the time off. Really happy I got him back into playing again!

I skated quite a bit when I was a kid and I found the same thing getting back on the ice after like 15 years, after a few wobbly seconds I could get around pretty quickly and easily. Muscle memory is the weirdest thing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nitramster posted:

Dude, cut that poo poo out, I used to play a lot of soccer when I was a kid through my teenage years. Wearing a cup sucks rear end in general, and soccer balls are big enough to spread the force along places that aren't your frank and beans. It only hurts for a second or two, I used to play defence a LOT too, took a lot of full on kicks and never did I hurt even after a game.

It's not a plastic disc that can be hit as hard as 100mph, stop being weird, weirdo.

How does wearing a cup suck? I don't even notice it's on. Ever since an unfortunate incident with a paintball a few years ago I'm pretty drat protective of my poo poo down there. What do you gain from not wearing a cup?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Street cred and sterilization.. both an advantage in the ghetto.

If I don't have children they won't get in the way of me becoming a beer league superstar so....

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nitramster posted:

I was mostly joking around, but yea wearing a cup for soccer is still overkill for the reasons I mentioned. Again, it's not a paintball, baseball, or hockey puck; it's a big soft (relatively) ball that doesn't travel that quickly anyway. It's an unnecessary piece of equipment for soccer.

That's all well and good until you get a foot in the nuts! I get why you don't think it's as necessary as it is in other sports but I'm going to keep wearing mine to soccer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Honestly I never notice the cup in any sport... guess I'm just used to having something big and stiff down there :smug:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's really loving stupid. We had the refs in our ball hockey league start to put the whistles away for god knows why and it ruins the game. In low-level rec hockey I really believe it's the job of the refs to call a fair game but also keep everyone on the ice safe. Hockey is an emotional sport that has a long history of fighting and contact in it and I doubt anyone here can say they've never done something lovely to another player in the heat of the moment but it's the job of the refs to call those things when they happen and keep games from spiraling out of control. Players absolutely don't need to be policing themselves in E level rec hockey.

In other news I just got back from the public skate where I managed to do the one footed snowplow stop a bunch of times. I'm not sure if it's because my skates aren't as sharp but I seem to have the motion and the weighting down, going to get my gets sharpened up and see if I can pull it off again. I'm also giving up on two-footed snowplow stops, I can't get my toes to bend inward enough (on or off skates). I can feel myself getting better every time I hit the ice and it's really exciting :3:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I agree with that, if the reffing is bad and the games are dangerous you need to escalate it to the league convener. I did that a few times over the years in ball hockey and typically the offending players would get a warning or stop showing up. It's pretty key to have someone on your team who has a good relationship with the league. If you always pay on time, show up, have fun, and don't complain a lot they'll typically take you seriously when you do raise issues with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bgreman posted:

The league management there is a total joke. Does anyone else play in a league where both teams have to bring ref fees every game instead of that being rolled into the league fee? (And there's no discount if only one ref shows up; he gets to pocket the fees from both teams)

My ball hockey league was like this. Felt really shady and also annoying to have to remember to bring cash out every game. Also annoying to do team accounting to make sure everyone was paying their fair share.