Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Judd Madden's new album is called Cosmic Black Wizard Demon Horse Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Judd Madden's new album is called Cosmic Black Wizard Demon Horse Lord

Is all of his stuff worthy of purchase? I have Everything in Waves, so as a quick opinion, would I find the others entertaining as well?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Is all of his stuff worthy of purchase? I have Everything in Waves, so as a quick opinion, would I find the others entertaining as well?

I liked Glacial, Waterfall II, and Everything in Waves, haven't got around to the rest of his back catalog.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

I liked Glacial, Waterfall II, and Everything in Waves, haven't got around to the rest of his back catalog.

Cool. Thanks!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

from phiz:

Chola
Nov 10, 2013
This looks as good a time as any to shamelessly plug my band, El Jefazo. We are from Peru (a country with a blooming Stoner/Doom/ Psych scene). Other cool peruvian bands include Satanicos Marihuanos, Reino Ermitaņo, Ancestro, Cuarzo, Dead End Alley Band, La Ira de Dios, etc. Look 'em up, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

You can listen/get our debut album here:
https://eljefazostoner.bandcamp.com/album/el-jefazo

It would be cool to know what you guys think!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Chola posted:

This looks as good a time as any to shamelessly plug my band, El Jefazo. We are from Peru (a country with a blooming Stoner/Doom/ Psych scene). Other cool peruvian bands include Satanicos Marihuanos, Reino Ermitaņo, Ancestro, Cuarzo, Dead End Alley Band, La Ira de Dios, etc. Look 'em up, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

You can listen/get our debut album here:
https://eljefazostoner.bandcamp.com/album/el-jefazo

It would be cool to know what you guys think!

Sounds like good stuff! Is it all instrumental? The tracks I've checked out so far seem to be.

A lot of my friends have visited Peru (I live in Costa Rica, so it's not so far as from the States), sounds like a nice country (or, at least, nicer than Costa Rica!).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Somehow, at some point years and years ago, I'd convinced myself I hated the Melvins. Lately I've been using Spotify radio for my music, and it's been playing a lot of Melvins. And you know what? I very much do not hate the Melvins.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Hellblazer187 posted:

Somehow, at some point years and years ago, I'd convinced myself I hated the Melvins. Lately I've been using Spotify radio for my music, and it's been playing a lot of Melvins. And you know what? I very much do not hate the Melvins.

I've gone through my usual cycle of hating the new one for sounding like lovely classic rock then realising a week later that its actually real good classic rock. I really like the song structure of "build the tension, build the tension, suddenly beatles" they use a few times.

Chola
Nov 10, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Sounds like good stuff! Is it all instrumental? The tracks I've checked out so far seem to be.

A lot of my friends have visited Peru (I live in Costa Rica, so it's not so far as from the States), sounds like a nice country (or, at least, nicer than Costa Rica!).

Thank you! Yes, it's all instrumental.

Peru's not bad. Awesome places to visit, history, food...Horrible city life, traffic jams, politicians. Sounds like I could be describing almost any South American country, haha. But the scene's healthy and growing. Some really heavy, doomy and psychedelic bands!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yo I'm about to see Acid King in a tiny goddamn attic

Gonna be good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hey doomsters. Make sure you don't sleep on Livid, who dropped their debut full length recently. They're extremely good and also very nice people.
https://lividmpls.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-this-shroud-the-earth-erodes

Also their drummer plays with Grant Hart

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 25, 2017

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hey doomsters. Make sure you don't sleep on Livid, who dropped their debut full length recently. They're extremely good and also very nice people.
https://lividmpls.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-this-shroud-the-earth-erodes

Also their drummer plays with Grant Hart

I would not have expected this drummer to play with Grant. This is dope

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He also plays with Without, who fit this thread but are more post-rockish.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I find with most people I know who like the Melvins it takes a while, but once you "get" it, you're hooked. I didn't get the love at first, now I own 14 of their records.

It helps that they're insanely technically proficient (especially Dale, jesus) without being wank, which is cool.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 26, 2017

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
melvins records, ranked:
1. gluey porch treatments
1. ozma
1. bullhead
1. hostile ambient takeover
1. lysol
1. eggnog
1. the bootlicker
1. the maggot
1. stoner witch
1. houdini
1. senile animal
1. the first song from Stag
?. the name EPs, because when you have like 20 albums I will have still not listened to some of them after 15 years
2. all the other melvins records

Parachute
May 18, 2003
dude listen to those 3 name ep's they're super solid

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Parachute posted:

dude listen to those 3 name ep's they're super solid

yeah gonna do that today because I had completely forgotten about them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Melvins own, saw them open for Sleep in London a while back now. They had two drummers , very cool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just saw Neurosis in a bar and it's one of the heaviest shows I've ever seen. They didn't play Through Silver in Blood though :(

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just saw Neurosis in a bar and it's one of the heaviest shows I've ever seen. They didn't play Through Silver in Blood though :(

they wasted too much drat time on the not very good new songs when i saw them

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

they wasted too much drat time on the not very good new songs when i saw them

I'm not in love with Fires Within Fires and it did take up 40% of the set but live in a little venue like this it was all awesome.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
doom side of the moon dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMoO8FNbRJA

edit: it's pretty good, but lacking heavily on the "doom side" of things

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 31, 2017

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DEAR RICHARD posted:

doom side of the moon dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMoO8FNbRJA

edit: it's pretty good, but lacking heavily on the "doom side" of things

Just got my copy in the mail today. Based on the two tracks that they released prior, I'm not terribly surprised. The Sword were never that doomy to begin with, and Brownout/Brown Sabbath were more fuzzy latin/funk than anything else. I guess "Stoner Side of the Moon" didn't have the same ring?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Brownout isn't doom, but I loving love them. How I've lived in this town this long and haven't seen them live, I don't even know (actually I do know, I work nights.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Finally listened to that Temple of Void album and I'm pretty sure they're Michigan's all time greatest metal band.

Also if anyone in Chicago wants to catch some doom on a Wednesday, Flesh of the Stars is playing the Underground Lounge on August 9. We're opening for a band from Massachusetts called Problem With Dragons:
https://problemwithdragons.bandcamp.com/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hello friends, some noise for you:
https://sunrot.bandcamp.com/album/sunnata

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got my new Shroud Eater vinyl in, so I have a spare download code for whoever gets it:

v83e-7kay9kay

Lose the ays.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shakenbaker posted:

Got my new Shroud Eater vinyl in, so I have a spare download code for whoever gets it:

v83e-7kay9kay

Lose the ays.

Awesome thank you 🥂

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Guys.

I have discovered Cough.

:allears:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sludge Tank posted:

Guys.

I have discovered Cough.

What about Sneeze?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sludge Tank posted:

Guys.

I have discovered Cough.

They do "that" sound better than anyone imo

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Guys.

I have discovered Cough.

:hfive:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations for Stoner/Doom/Sludge with Spanish language lyrics? All I've found so far is Viaje a 800, which is pretty good, but more would be good too. I'm a gringo in Latin America and I'm studying Spanish when I can but maybe some music would assist passive language acquisition as I work. Thanks!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Stoner/Doom/Sludge with Spanish language lyrics? All I've found so far is Viaje a 800, which is pretty good, but more would be good too. I'm a gringo in Latin America and I'm studying Spanish when I can but maybe some music would assist passive language acquisition as I work. Thanks!

Corrupted, even though they're Japanese.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

They do "that" sound better than anyone imo

They're like BRMC after years of angry krokodil addiction and necrotic limb amputation

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

mike scheidt doing marrow solo on acoustic is p cool

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Hellblazer187 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMQOfyzQhFI

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
My friend's band just put out their second album so I'll plug it here, it's an experimental post-doom kind of thing and it's good. The band now includes Will from Sonance, Bristol metal persists, see you in the Gryphon!

https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Okay, so I'm sharing this album mostly because I did the cover art for it, but DVNE's new album is really good. Getting nice reviews. Proggy stoner doom sludge, people compare them to Mastodon a lot (Blood Mountain/Crack the Skye era). Cool to see me scratches n' scribbles on a full-sized vinyl album :)

https://songs-of-arrakis.bandcamp.com/album/asheran

Only registered members can see post attachments!