Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

New Windhand apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FkhnGdwDcw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My boss gave me a bottle of wine that reminded me of this thread

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJGLfp5Erg The sax in this is pretty fuckin' cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bummed it’s a split and not an LP but oh well. The new songs sound really great.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

That’s pretty tasty.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
honestly i'm a bit dissapointed that didn't link to epic sax guy

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

this fuckin owns

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

This album is extremely my poo poo and I've been listening to it since this post. Cool art too, thanks!

No prob, glad to share! It is a bitchin' goddamn album, I hope those guys get all famous and poo poo. Their live US debut will be at Psycho Las Vegas this year.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Naxatras I and II were both super good. III came out either yesterday or today. On the stoner/psychadelic side of things rather than doom. I'm like 30 seconds in on the new record. I suppose I should listen to the whole thing before I come in here, but I'm a strong believer in :justpost:

https://naxatras.bandcamp.com/album/iii

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

new track by The Body is fuckin amazing

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
yob played [i think] 4 new songs last night

i was kinda lit, but i'm pretty sure of it.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I started playing guitar four months ago and I just started getting into doom metal and co. I really love to get baked and lay against my amp and strum real slow. When I'm not doing that, I'm listening to Dopesmoker on repeat.

My favorite bands right now are Sleep, Om, Witch, Windhand and Elder. I'm really picky about vocalists so it's been interesting because these genres are everywhere with vocals. It's something that I wish I could get over as well because a lot of these bands are really good and then singing happens and I can't take it. Cave of Swimmers came up recently and I can't get into the vocalist at all. I hate Ozzy's voice and Mastodon's vocalist sounds like Ozzy and can't get into them. Oh also Black Sabbath because Ozzy but Iommi is awesome. I'm pretty okay with just listening to Dopesmoker forever though so whatever's fine I guess

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Listen to bongripper every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBUHpEXHTQ

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Oh yeah. I totally forgot about my day of Satan Worshipping Doom.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If I could remove vocals there’s so many more metal bands I’d be listening to.

E- make that bands in general I guess

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Eat The Rich posted:

I started playing guitar four months ago and I just started getting into doom metal and co. I really love to get baked and lay against my amp and strum real slow. When I'm not doing that, I'm listening to Dopesmoker on repeat.

My favorite bands right now are Sleep, Om, Witch, Windhand and Elder. I'm really picky about vocalists so it's been interesting because these genres are everywhere with vocals. It's something that I wish I could get over as well because a lot of these bands are really good and then singing happens and I can't take it. Cave of Swimmers came up recently and I can't get into the vocalist at all. I hate Ozzy's voice and Mastodon's vocalist sounds like Ozzy and can't get into them. Oh also Black Sabbath because Ozzy but Iommi is awesome. I'm pretty okay with just listening to Dopesmoker forever though so whatever's fine I guess

are you one of those guys who don't like screamed or growled vox

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Nope, I like a lot of growly and screamy vocalists. There are also some that I don't like. I'm not sure where the line is.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats good!

here's my fav albums that fit in this thread:

the obsessed - lunar womb (working mans doom metal, strong biker rock influence. my favourite wino album)
grief - ...and man will become the hunted (classic sludge, slow & low but with some nice mean guitar melodies)
eyehategod - take as needed for pain (bluesy sludge w/ a strong hardcore influence)
toadliquor - feel my hate (sabbath slowed to a crawl, musical equivalent of a heroin od)
cavity - supercollider (sabbathian grooves filtered through amrep feedback, played with hardcore precision)
16 - bridges to burn (as above but more slayer than black flag)
warhorse - as heaven turns to ash (huge loving riffs. check this if you like windhand, these guys blow them out of the water)
buzzoven - sore (hardcore influenced sludge metal, esp. great use of vocal samples)
neurosis - through silver in blood (the start of post metal i guess. mixing floydian atmospherics with post punks gloominess, hardcore intensity sabbathian sludgey riffs. a masterpiece)
godflesh - slavestate ep (biomechanical sludge)
type o negative - world coming down (imo one of the most underrated doom metal albums. people love em, but most don't consider this to be doom metal)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

the obsessed - lunar womb (working mans doom metal, strong biker rock influence. my favourite wino album)

Everyone needs to hear Lunar Womb, The Church Within, and Jug Fulla Sun.

Wino has it all. That voice, those riffs, those solos...

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Sleep show in DC was originally listed as two nights but the day of it was just one? Anyway, hit me up if you're going, I'll buy you a drank and yell at you if you aren't wearing earplugs

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dear guy who doesn't like Ozzy:

:mad:

BUT, some fun bands that I don't think sound like Ozzy are Dopelord and Monolord.

But don't look at Freedom Hawk, which is a sabbath clone right down to the vocals (I love Freedom Hawk).

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 20, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've heard of people not liking Ozzy as a person but never of not liking him in Sabbath. All four original members are so integral to the traditional (read: albums 1-6) sound that I can't imagine one of them removed.

You migh dig Sabbath with Dio and Heaven and Hell.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Behead those who insult Ozzy. I’m gonna go listen to Spiral Architect

e: it is good

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 20, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Imagine caring about poor vocals at all lmao

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's my fav sludge / doom song of the past, uhh 4 years? i forget when eyehategod released their s-t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqVMYuMVbSs

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

skasion posted:

Behead those who insult Ozzy. I’m gonna go listen to Spiral Architect

e: it is good

Wish we could make this post the thread title. Also, I will go to be for Technical Ecstasy any day. All of the witch rock/retro doom bands sound way more like You Won't Change me than albums 1-6

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Eat The Rich posted:

A while back, Bongripper released a couple of bass and drum only tracks from Satan Worshipping Doom. They're pretty fun to jam along to, but you have to downtune your guitar a bit.

I found one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFWv94xOEM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skasion posted:

Behead those who insult Ozzy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've been playing guitar a little over a year and I've just started playing this stuff. Nobody told me it would be so fun.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

im_sorry posted:

A while back, Bongripper released a couple of bass and drum only tracks from Satan Worshipping Doom. They're pretty fun to jam along to, but you have to downtune your guitar a bit.

I found one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFWv94xOEM

Bongripper uses a custom 4 string and essebtially subterranean data cables for strings , but i cant even on my loving 5 string bass (which only has a 34" neck and normal strings) tune my bottom B string down enough to the required F0 without it being entirely loose and toneless. Bongripper are sludge gods.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Bongripper uses essebtially subterranean data cables for strings

Hahaha I like that

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone else checked out the new album from The Atlas Moth, Come Noir? Not really sure what I was expecting based on their previous efforts but, this seems to be a even further departure from their back catalog. It's such a blend of styles from post-rock, hardcore, psych-sludge and even their use of new wave flavored synths. Probably not gonna be everyones cup of tea and the vocals seem to be the deciding factor for most. Overall, the music has me hooked and the varied vocals are growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sPCl71qes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anyone else checked out the new album from The Atlas Moth, Come Noir? Not really sure what I was expecting based on their previous efforts but, this seems to be a even further departure from their back catalog. It's such a blend of styles from post-rock, hardcore, psych-sludge and even their use of new wave flavored synths. Probably not gonna be everyones cup of tea and the vocals seem to be the deciding factor for most. Overall, the music has me hooked and the varied vocals are growing on me.

I have not yet but I really enjoyed their last one and also this month Kumas burger named for them

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I need to get through it again, but it was definitely a bit different. I was kinda bummed out by that to be honest because I was hoping for something a little spacey-er(?). Going to have a run through it again tomorrow at work now that I my expectations aren't so much a factor.

The new Fu Manchu is something I have gotten through a few times though, and I kinda love it. Those guys totally have a formula but it's a sweet rear end one so hell yeah. Plus Alex Lifeson is there on a 17 minute song that still feels like it belongs on a Fu Manchu records, so what more do you need?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Me: I wonder what the dude from Isis got up to *listens to Sumac for the first time*

Me again: :aaaaa:

Sorry if this doesn’t fit the thread the main metal thread people never seem to give a poo poo so I figured it was the wrong place.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
sumac definitely fits here more than other places. I need to relisten to their stuff

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Me: I wonder what the dude from Isis got up to *listens to Sumac for the first time*

Me again: :aaaaa:

Sorry if this doesn’t fit the thread the main metal thread people never seem to give a poo poo so I figured it was the wrong place.

If they don't fit in this thread the I don't want to be here because Sumac rules. I am beyond hyped for their collab with Keiji Haino coming out soon.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

If they don't fit in this thread the I don't want to be here because Sumac rules. I am beyond hyped for their collab with Keiji Haino coming out soon.

yeah? i like keiji haino, haven't checked out sumac cos isis sucked rear end. might have to when the collab comes out

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They also haul a lot of rear end live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You've probably already listened to Old Man Gloom's stuff but if you haven't, it's pretty good too.