Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Snowy posted:

All metal is dad metal

a few weeks back i went to a friend's birthday party at an "urban winery" which was full of the most basic-rear end white folks you can imagine, but there was a dad with his wife and toddler wearing a Cough shirt and that really made the day

discovered Black Tremor today and if you want some laid-back doom with violin you should check them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finally got to see Neurosis for the first time in probably 2015ish. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. For some reason I kind of assumed that it was going to mostly be a bunch of experimental noodling, but they just belted out hit after hit for 2 hours it was awesome. They sound so tight live.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've actually been watching a lot of mid 90's Neurosis sets on YT lately. Goddamn I wish I could have been there. their energy is just off the charts. Even with the lovely camcorder footage it's all just so.loving .heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVOqgzDMAk

Lmao at the guy screaming "play something from Pain of Mind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhx1_klSd8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMIjsPC5Ro&t=372s

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I started listening to them when the word as law came out and just never bothered to see them live :negative:

E- my friend even booked this show

I’m an idiot

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Yeah neurosis is just out of this world. Their concerts are a singular experience. I only saw them for the first time in 2015 or so as well and I regret not making a point to see them sooner all the time.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

hatelull posted:

Scott Kelly is featured in this short rear end live set and it slays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVSPWOnyeQ

I was cool with some of the early Baroness records. I want to say Blue is good and I like Yellow & Green. I could not get into that latest one at all.

yeah this is a thousand times better than Brann taking over vocals half the time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair it’s not like they gave us a lot of chances. I think they barely toured from 1999-2015.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snowy posted:

I started listening to them when the word as law came out and just never bothered to see them live :negative:

I’m an idiot

I just didn’t start getting deep into metal until about 2011. I grew up a punk and even though metal was around me I didn’t pay it the attention I ought to have. Then I had an electronic music stint when I moved away from all of my band mates.

Only started really listening to neurosis in 2010-2011 and I will always ALWAYS regret not going to their back to back NYE shows in 2012.

I couldn’t get a ticket by the time I heard about it. I’m bummed all over again just thinking about it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Boris is releasing the Archive 1-6 discs on Bandcamp. Some good stuff in there that was limited to 1000 or so copies per, originally

https://boris.bandcamp.com

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatelull posted:

I was cool with some of the early Baroness records. I want to say Blue is good and I like Yellow & Green. I could not get into that latest one at all.

When I saw Baroness live last year, they brought Scott Kelly out for like half an hour to do all their collab songs and it elevated the gig to absolute godly levels, Scott is just a loving beast on a mic. I saw him with Shrinebuilder and he was also great then.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When I saw Baroness live last year, they brought Scott Kelly our for like half an hour to do all their collab songs and it elevated the gig to absolute godly levels, Scott is just a loving beast on a mic. I saw him with Shrinebuilder and he was also great then.

Wait wait you mean mastodon right? does SK have songs with baroness?

also gently caress you for getting to see scott kelly with (i am assuming) mastodon. I mean it in the nicest sense of the word.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Bob posted:

Wait wait you mean mastodon right? does SK have songs with baroness?

also gently caress you for getting to see scott kelly with (i am assuming) mastodon. I mean it in the nicest sense of the word.

Yes I actually meant Mastodon :doh: I'm tired-posting

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've never really dug deep into neurosis but they are up and downstream from so many things I dig. The one time I saw them it was just absolutely crushing

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I havent listened to much Neurosis but they are one of those bands that I've always wanted to see live.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well this is my favourite discovery of the year. Hot drat.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Eat The Rich posted:

I havent listened to much Neurosis but they are one of those bands that I've always wanted to see live.

Neurosis opens the gates live

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah I finally listened to it today and it's great

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hatelull posted:

I've never liked Mastodon as much as I do after listening to this. hot drat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dipping back into some of my old favorites again tonight. I wouldn't say they fit squarely into the sludge category since much of it is so fast/math rock, but they groove so hard and hit like a truck so I am comfortable calling them sludge.

I think Keelhaul II is an underrated masterpiece. Keelhaul was just a really loving underrated band in general, but this album...drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdX8QUIGJsY

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I finally got to see Neurosis for the first time in probably 2015ish. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. For some reason I kind of assumed that it was going to mostly be a bunch of experimental noodling, but they just belted out hit after hit for 2 hours it was awesome. They sound so tight live.

I saw them like 3 years ago and they mostly just played the boring stuff from the new album, very disappointing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snowy posted:

I’m an idiot

holy moly ABC-no-Rio must have been loving wild in 1990

by 2007 it mostly seemed like a place you'd go to shoot heroin with various crust punk musicians (so maybe not all that different? :haw:)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Evil Bob posted:

I do find it incredibly cool that Brann and Scott bonded when today is the day toured with neurosis to the point that Scott Kelly is routine called up (and agrees) to guesting on songs. Turning them into Mastodons best songs.

More than any other concert this year (aside from hitting Wacken) I was looking forward to and hoping for a Neurosis west coast outing. Didn't get to see them play in my area in 2019 so I figured I would get to this year. gently caress off covid

I know Mastodon have said in interviews that they don't think anyone in the band is very good at vocals, so I wouldn't be surprised if they leap at the chance to have a different vocalist any time it's offered.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

I know Mastodon have said in interviews that they don't think anyone in the band is very good at vocals, so I wouldn't be surprised if they leap at the chance to have a different vocalist any time it's offered.

they have 3 vocalists and they're all awesome and distinct from each other and it's one of my favorite things about the band, I dunno where they get that idea from

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

they have 3 vocalists and they're all awesome and distinct from each other and it's one of my favorite things about the band, I dunno where they get that idea from

Agreed, one of the things that always keeps mastodon interesting to me. Then a 4th singer that steps in to blow the loving roof off once in a while.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The tri-vocal technique keeps things interesting but I would stop short of calling Brent good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

The tri-vocal technique keeps things interesting but I would stop short of calling Brent good.

ah man, his vocals are one of my favorite things about the band.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Mastodon's vocals the best on Remission where is was all growling.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Troy definitely has my favorite vocal presence of the group. Underrated bass player too.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The three distinct vocals is cool and used to effect on Oblivion but that was also the last time they really did it for me. I think it's a minority opinion by Crack the Skye was a letdown. Always spin their new release at least a couple times (the latest one was pretty solid)

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

The three distinct vocals is cool and used to effect on Oblivion but that was also the last time they really did it for me. I think it's a minority opinion by Crack the Skye was a letdown. Always spin their new release at least a couple times (the latest one was pretty solid)

Dang sorry to hear about Crack The Skye, I do love that album for sure. I did enjoy once more round the sun quite a bit for what it was when it came out, emperor of sand really didn’t do it for me at first but I’ve come to feel it’s a pretty solid album as well and has some bangers on it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've seen Mastodon three times live, first time was seven or eight years ago and the vocals were really rough. Most recent time they were all really really good.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Brent sounds like a hoarse grandma with a cold tbh.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Brent sounds like a hoarse grandma with a cold tbh.

Thats kind of what makes me like it. I always feel like drat brent is really forcing some vocals out right now lmao

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

hatelull posted:

Scott fuckin rules and he should definitely be their main vocalist, or at least an intermittent lead vocalist akin to Mark Lanegan with QOTSA.

Bongzilla is working on a new album and I'm illustrating the cover, should be rad. It'll be called "Weedsconsin" after our home state (which does not have legal marijuana at all due to our idiotic senate)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zoben posted:

Bongzilla is working on a new album and I'm illustrating the cover, should be rad. It'll be called "Weedsconsin" after our home state (which does not have legal marijuana at all due to our idiotic senate)

Bongzilla rules and so do your covers, so this sounds like a great combination!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah that's rad news all around

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

Bongzilla is working on a new album and I'm illustrating the cover, should be rad. It'll be called "Weedsconsin" after our home state

This loving rules.

Also the new primitive man loving rips.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Do y’all know about the new All Them Witches album coming out in a few weeks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9jcStLbYjk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbkyLaAysI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spotify has been inserting them into every new music playlist for me for the past month or two so Im definitely aware of it, just not that interested. Our Mother Electricity was a good album but nothing they've done since that has really stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't know how I've not been listening to King Buffalo until now, but they're really drat good.