Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That album sounds exactly the way it looks.
I pick stoner albums by the album cover if I've never heard the band.
This is the same way I buy wine and my success rate is pretty good.

I will start using this method. I can't believe I never thought of this before. :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That album sounds exactly the way it looks.
I pick stoner albums by the album cover if I've never heard the band.
This is the same way I buy wine and my success rate is pretty good.

Haha, I also look for the "cool packaging" for wine/beer/etc. Like cool varnish finishes along with awesome typography or illustration. When a band does a cool print job for their release it's always killer, like when Droids Attack did a limited re-release of their last album but on vinyl this time (so my giant 24" x 24" art could be seen in a 12" x 12" format instead of on a tiny CD), one of the records had an etching of the linework from one of my drawings on it, and they had a copper metallic finish over some of the lettering.

The supply-chain stuff is affecting vinyl production/distribution right now which sucks, I finished up the art for Wo Fat's new record like months ago but they're not going to be releasing it until like March 2022.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zoben posted:

The supply-chain stuff is affecting vinyl production/distribution right now which sucks, I finished up the art for Wo Fat's new record like months ago but they're not going to be releasing it until like March 2022.

I’ve heard about the backlogs because of demand, are they also short on vinyl or something?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
One of the 2 plants making the lacquer for masters burned down last year and has been causing a lot of issues.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/vinyl-industry-apollo-masters-fire-951903/

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Snowy posted:

I’ve heard about the backlogs because of demand, are they also short on vinyl or something?

I don't really know, Kent just mentioned it in a new interview. I know that vinyl in general seems to be fraught with issues, or otherwise has a really long wait time for production. I've never personally dealt with pressing records so I could certainly be wrong though, I've just heard occasional anecdotes about it being a pain.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Adele is pressing 500,000 records, and its loving everything up for all of us. For reference T Swifts 4 disc set of 40k was the biggest record release in years and that put the industry back a bit. Most of us metal bands make hundreds of records, 5 thousand if you're wildly successful, so we all get pushed to the back of the line pretty quick in the face of the mainstream artist numbers. Also dumbass re-masters like Nevermind take 15 or whatever, or Led Zeppelin that both end up in guitar center also get smaller runs to the back of the line.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 12, 2021

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Pokey Araya posted:

Adele is pressing 500,000 records, and its loving everything up for all of us. For reference T Swifts 4 disc set of 40k was the biggest record release in years and that put the industry back a bit. Most of us metal bands make hundreds of records, 5 thousand if you're wildly successful, so we all get pushed to the back of the line pretty quick in the face of the mainstream artist numbers. Also dumbass re-masters like Nevermind take 15 or whatever, or Led Zeppelin that both end up in guitar center also get smaller runs to the back of the line.

I wasn't aware of the Adele thing. That is pretty lame -- I know that records are a bit more in vogue these days but even though she's incredibly popular, I don't see her fanbase as being too vinyl-crazy. Who knows though, I could be wrong. As a visual artist I think it's kind of stupid when you have some boring headshot on the cover of a 12" record, with no real detail or effort put into the basic packaging, and then even the audio is ported from a digital master, so all you've got in the end is a fan's collector's item which will probably never be played in the first place. One of the coolest things about the SDS scene is that the musicians are often very interested in the visual package as well as the audio, so it's a more complete artistic presentation. To be pretentious as gently caress :c00lbutt:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah that's kinda bizzare like im sure there are enough Adele fans into vinyl to justify making them but making THAT many?

Zoben posted:

even the audio is ported from a digital master, so all you've got in the end is a fan's collector's item

When I worked as a tube amp tech we'd have a dude who came in to have his amp recapped, then would bring one of those line 6 all in one digital pedalboards in to the shop and plugged it into the amp to "test how we did and how it sounds". We always laughed at that dude but we took his money, he was an old kinda dickish rich dude.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
They don't care. Here are the reviews of T Swifts 4 disc set, at 45 rpm, ya know for the audio quality listeners, TARGET release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Laserface posted:

Uncle Acid are one of the best live acts I have seen in terms of performance. Definitely go see them if this hits your town.

King Buffalo is also incredibly good live. Saw them open for Elder here in Chicago, and, as much as I like Elder, there was no comparison. Buffalo are excellent, professional performers. So incredibly tight and they obviously expand a lot of their songs into panoramic psychadelic soundscapes without ever getting noodly.

New one hasn’t quite clicked for me yet, btw. But they do such a good job of mining out a very narrow sliver of sound for everything they can get, even the stuff I didn’t dig on first listen eventually clicked, except Dead Star. Just couldn’t get down on that one. I respected the vibe of it though.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

New material from Pike on the horizon?

Matt Pike posted:

“I made a psychedelic rock record that Sleep and High on Fire fans would like,” Pike says when asked for a CliffsNotes description of ‘Pike vs. the Automaton’. “And maybe if you’re not a Sleep or High on Fire fan, you might like it too. I definitely think it’s interesting; it has D-Beat punk, two-step. It’s got everything and it still works together, it doesn’t sound odd. It’s just an off-the-wall psychedelic rock record.”

https://pikevstheautomaton.bandcamp.com/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatelull posted:

New material from Pike on the horizon?

https://pikevstheautomaton.bandcamp.com/

hell yes

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Extremely yes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Sooo, Baroness is starting a US tour next month and the ticket holders get to vote on their top 10 tracks to be included in each cities' setlist. Too bad Blue has 12 tracks...

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Are they worth it live? Their last album sort of bored me, and I think I like maybe one or two tracks off their Purple album. Is the older stuff better?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Red/Blue are great.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Red/Blue are great.
yeah but they don't play that stuff live anymore.. ^ unless requested I guess, I saw a mostly set of Purple songs and it was just ok

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Sooo, Baroness is starting a US tour next month and the ticket holders get to vote on their top 10 tracks to be included in each cities' setlist. Too bad Blue has 12 tracks...

They want $60 (not including fees) per ticket in my city. No way am I paying that. $60 with all fees included is still steep, but without fees? Insane

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

They want $60 (not including fees) per ticket in my city. No way am I paying that. $60 with all fees included is still steep, but without fees? Insane

That’s insane. They always struck me as a band trying to punch way above their capabilities, even with their first couple records, which, while decent, got a lot more praise than I think they warranted. Never thought they were a bad band, per se, but likewise never understood that brief period where they were critical darlings either.

e: Did anybody listen to the latest Boss Keloid? Never really checked these guys out before, but it just got repped on NCS and I’m loving digging the hell out of it.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 16, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Baroness are a dad band that started their career as a dad band.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BurningBeard posted:

That’s insane. They always struck me as a band trying to punch way above their capabilities, even with their first couple records, which, while decent, got a lot more praise than I think they warranted. Never thought they were a bad band, per se, but likewise never understood that brief period where they were critical darlings either.

e: Did anybody listen to the latest Boss Keloid? Never really checked these guys out before, but it just got repped on NCS and I’m loving digging the hell out of it.

Agreed about Baroness, although I think that Bullhead's Psalm is a loving killer set intro. I'm a sucker for a majestic, building opening like that. I mean, I even like "Ecstasy of Gold" for Metallica's concerts even though it's obviously completely pretentious -- still gives me a rush though, especially on older concerts in '89 where they opened with Blackened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPW60LnD4I

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im a sucker for that stuff too. My favorite is Sleep pumping NASA radio chatter out of the speakers before the show. When the chatter cut out and the amps turned on made for a wicked cool moment

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t know any Baroness but Gina Gleason is fun on two minutes to late night

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Im a sucker for that stuff too. My favorite is Sleep pumping NASA radio chatter out of the speakers before the show. When the chatter cut out and the amps turned on made for a wicked cool moment

That poo poo goes on for way too loving long.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
I feel like the only person who hears it, but new Baroness has a weird Coheed or late My Chemical Romance vibe to it I can’t quiet place that drives me nuts.

Also they use small amps now and that is boring.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Haha, I was gonna say that I dig it for sure, but when I last saw them the NASA stuff was a bit too long. IMO it would have been killer if the tape of that would be cross-faded with some giant building feedback before they tear into the first chords.

I've only seen Sleep twice and it was pretty amazing on 4/20 in a tighter venue, but when there was more space around them on the stage it was kind of weird and cavernous. A fault more of the venue than the band, of course.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Sleep’s NASA chatter is cool, but one time I saw them at Roadburn they just showed Cosmos on the big screen for an hour before the show. :350:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pop punk posted:

Also they use small amps now and that is boring.

I love doom because it's the only genre where it's acceptable for me to use two 100-Watt Tube heads each plugged into a full stack in a tiny bar or friend's basement

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

Kvlt! posted:

I love doom because it's the only genre where it's acceptable for me to use two 100-Watt Tube heads each plugged into a full stack in a tiny bar or friend's basement

Hell yeah.

I am in what song writing wise is definitely a pop punk band but we tune to drop A and use reverb so I can bring two stacks with us.

Shoegaze and Doom are the only thing keeping 4x12 cab makers alive.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
This is real fuckin good.

https://youtu.be/dCYHnMRJPbE

E: This too. Big fuckin’ Matt Pike vibes on those vocals.

https://youtu.be/pJJ-lyTIzh8

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm an idiot - took me half the song to realise that it wasn't JOIN THUGGER.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

this but in reference to dopesmoker

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:chloe:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Maybe they just prefer the conciseness of Jerusalem?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

:twisted:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tbh I would be down to hear Sleep make an album of 2 minute tops rippers

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Any time I have a 1hr drive/flight/train I put on dopesmoker cos i know it'll be over right around the time I arrive and its varied enough to not feel like a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I used to be pretty into Baroness, but I feel like they’ve been steadily going downhill since the Blue Record with every release being more boring than the last. I think I’m done with them.

Red Album is still a minor classic, but I agree with the idea that Baroness may think they’re a bigger band than they are. They definitely come across that way and always have. Maybe it’s how self-serious they always seem.