Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the best metal bands tend to be the ones that are just the right ratio of seriousness to tonque-in-cheekness, and I dont get any of the latter from Baroness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Baroness always seem more fun than serious to me. They just have an art school frontman.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

all their covers have fish and eggs and nude people so they’re cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Baroness doesn’t seem like a very high ego band or anything they’re just professional as hell and take their music/tours/etc pretty serious which is cool imo. Baizley is an insanely hard working dedicated guy. I don’t really know what it means to say they think they’re bigger than they are when their albums are consistently highly reviewed and they seem to get more successful every year. Not saying anyone’s opinion is wrong or anything just my 2c!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
this might be a controversial take, but purple is my favorite baroness record.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Baroness doesn’t seem like a very high ego band or anything they’re just professional as hell and take their music/tours/etc pretty serious which is cool imo. Baizley is an insanely hard working dedicated guy. I don’t really know what it means to say they think they’re bigger than they are when their albums are consistently highly reviewed and they seem to get more successful every year. Not saying anyone’s opinion is wrong or anything just my 2c!

FYI, I’m not knocking them. What I meant when I said they were punching above their weight is that to my ear, personally, they’ve always reached for a wide range of styles and approaches, but I feel like it falls flat as often as not.

Artistic ambition is never a bad thing.

I don’t have any opinion on like… pretentions or whatever.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah, same. I mean I have liked a lot of Baroness’ output, especially around 10 plus years ago. It just seems like they’ve turned into a weird art band, but honestly, they may have always kind of been that.

I have nothing material to back this up on apart from stuff I’ve read but the guy that Gina Gleason replaced was a bit of a hesher, and I think his input is missed. But he was party to Yellow&Green and Purple, so who knows. Good luck to them, etc.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

While I’m not a huge baroness fan after purple or red, those descriptions sound more accurate for elder.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also

King Buffalo promised three albums this year and we’ve only seen two. What gives?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The last one is meant to come out early 2022 now, it got pushed back.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Also

King Buffalo promised three albums this year and we’ve only seen two. What gives?

oh yeah, what the heck!

RE: baroness

I saw them when they toured with Deafheaven and Zeal and Ardor. They had a bunch of their stage lights aimed directly at my face for the whole set. I will never forgive them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Eat The Rich posted:

oh yeah, what the heck!

I saw them when they toured with Deafheaven and Zeal and Ardor. They had a bunch of their stage lights aimed directly at my face for the whole set. I will never forgive them.

On the one hand, sorry for your fried retinas.

On the other, I now remember Zeal and Ardor put an album out since their first, and I haven’t listened to it. Thanks.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Eat The Rich posted:

oh yeah, what the heck!

not stoner but lighting related, I saw APC one time (:rolleyes:, but I was young) and The Mars Volta opened.

Mars Volta suck dick live anyway, but at one point Cedric picked a spotlight up off the stage and shined it directly in my loving face for about 5 straight minutes.

I honestly just wanted to leave the rest of the night.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

APC are one of my favorite concert memories, and a band I have only ever seen once, on the 13th Step tour so arguably at the height of their career.

I wouldnt see them now because they're terrible now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mer de Noms was the only good APC album and I still love it 20 years after high school.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have a lot of love for 13th Step, if only for the pretty keen Failure cover.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Actually come to think of it I like their version of When The Levee Breaks

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thirteenth Step is awesome and I feel like it sort of defined a large chunk of 2003 for me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Their first two albums are fantastic and I won't hear anything to the contrary.

Everything else* is pretty terrible

*the exception being "diary of a love song" which is a mashup of diary of a madman by ozzy and love song by the cure

https://youtu.be/PcZiRDM_3dM

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
TIL APC was still a thing via this thread and wiki info. Huh.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

New Electric Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4uKxPyw9bs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:bisonyes:

My mom said today was Jesus' birthday but gently caress all that noise. It's Lucifer day :devil:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Honestly I love EW and I agree "if it aint broke dont fix it" can sometimes be true but they really do need to do at least something fresh. They've been stale and repititive for a while and leaning MORE into straight Sabbath worship isn't helping

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Song and video are good as hell I hope they drop an album in 2022

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

Kvlt! posted:

Honestly I love EW and I agree "if it aint broke dont fix it" can sometimes be true but they really do need to do at least something fresh. They've been stale and repititive for a while and leaning MORE into straight Sabbath worship isn't helping

I think Wizard Bloody Wizard was a pretty big departure from the sabbath worship stuff. In some regards WBW is almost akin to stuff like Queens Of The Stone Age. Same with Time to Die, except Time To Die being a bit more industrial than usual.. Those two albums are very dissimilar from the rest of the discography. I'd argue even Dopethrone is a departure from the sabbath worship. It's much more aggressive and vitriolic than a lot of their other stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

unknown butthole posted:

I think Wizard Bloody Wizard was a pretty big departure from the sabbath worship stuff

🤔

Just gotta agree to disagree I guess I thought WBW was the opposite.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

🤔

Just gotta agree to disagree I guess I thought WBW was the opposite.

Ummm.....yeah, I agree with your assessment.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I found a record a while back on a well known goon ftp and I haven't seen (m)any people really talk about it, was combing through some older playlists, saw it and thought I'd drop it in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcHWcsHK2ec

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Illuminado posted:

well known goon ftp

Do tell

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Matt Pike is one of the very few Patreons i have never regretted subscribing to

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Matt Pike is one of the very few Patreons i have never regretted subscribing to

:aaaaa:

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

It is, like all good things, gone now. But was how I found good music for a long time, before streaming services were actually useable.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Illuminado posted:

It is, like all good things, gone now. But was how I found good music for a long time, before streaming services were actually useable.

Ah yes, back in the days when :filez: had its own forum here.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Illuminado posted:

ah, i getcha.

i use a combination of soulseek, spotify and bandcamp now. everything i really love i get on vinyl.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can't loving wait for that matt pike album

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

can't loving wait for that matt pike album

For real! I'm still holding out hope for new High on Fire as well, but I'll take whatever Pike I can get.

Any other new albums you guys are hoping/looking for in this the year of our doom lord two thousand and twenty two?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think I heard Wovenhand is coming out with a new one. It’s sure to be weird if nothing else.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I heard Wovenhand is coming out with a new one. It’s sure to be weird if nothing else.

There’s a name I’ve not heard in a while. I tried to get into their stuff and wasn’t sure where to start. What’s a good one to begin with?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BurningBeard posted:

There’s a name I’ve not heard in a while. I tried to get into their stuff and wasn’t sure where to start. What’s a good one to begin with?

Refractory Obdurate is my favorite. The Threshing Floor and Star Treatment are also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nvm