Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

big weekend for gigs this weekend. truly a golden era in post-covid live shows lately, its been wild.

Saturday I travelled about 2hrs south to Wollongong to catch Jack Harlon and the dead crows, Robot God and Michael Cera Band at Dicey Reilleys - an old coastal town pub that definitely has a reputation of being a dive that now somehow has heavy metal bands on. theres no separate band room so all the locals just kind of grit their teeth and bear it which made for a weird vibe, especially after my weed brownie kicked in

Gig was good, Michael Cera Band were a mix of sludge/stoner with real angry political punk type stuff, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Robot God are a stoner/prog band, mostly instrumental, although they make the occasional error of singing extremely dad-lyrics about wanting their baby back and whatever. I've seen them a few times now and they are extremely well rehearsed and play well, excellent grooves.

JH&TDC slayed as they normally do, although the sound left a little to be desired but that was a venue thing.

Sunday was Feast Your Mind Festival @ Crowbar, put on by Copperfeast records. Covid is still disabling bands every other week so a few of the original lineup got replaced.

Trillion
Foot (COVID'd, cancelled)
Sour Cream
Frozen Planet 1969
Comacozer
Jack Harlon & TDC
Khan (COVID'd and replaced with Robot God)
Ruffle Feather

I live across the road from Crowbar but still somehow missed the first band. :350:

Trillion Sound cool but maybe not a perfect fit for this threads tastes.

Sour Cream were the loudest band I have ever seen in that room, possibly any room, and Ive seen Monolord and Ufomammut in that room. it was nuts. Sludgy, Doomy, heavy as hell. hadn't seen them before and did not expect that.

Frozen Planet 1969 swing more towards the Earthless/Jam band psychedelic side of things. I hadnt paid much attention to their recordings but after catching them live a few weeks ago at a different bar, I was blown away. Truly masters of their craft and excellent improvisors. The guitarist said 'Lets start this loving thing then' and they ripped through 2 jams that left everyone in the room speechless. incredible nuance and lots of pedal adjusting mid-song. recordings dont really do much justice, the ebb and flow and dynamic control of the whole band acting as a single organism was pretty sick.

10 releases for them, so plenty of stuff to work through if you're into psych jams.

Comacozer are a 3 piece space/stoner/psych band and sadly had a bunch of technical issues, seemed to be with one of the house amps. managed to get through 2 15min songs at least. While I like them 2 songs is usually enough.

Jack Harlon and the Dead Crows dont really need explaining in this thread but this was absolutely the best i've seen them. Crowbar is a great sounding venue and it was as loud as it could be. body shaking riffs, executed perfectly. a national treasure.

By this point I was both incredibly drunk and stoned and decided to call it a night so I cant make mention of Rufflefeathers performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

Jack Harlon and the Dead Crows dont really need explaining in this thread but this was absolutely the best i've seen them. Crowbar is a great sounding venue and it was as loud as it could be. body shaking riffs, executed perfectly. a national treasure.

Man I hope they can make it to the United States some day. And thanks for your posts about them otherwise I’d probably never found out about them

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Boosting the praise for FP69. I'm not big on heavy rock, but FP incorporate enough psychedelic touches to give their stuff a more distinctive twist. Their Lost Traveller Chronicles are my favorite albums of theirs, thanks to feeling more like a continuous trip than some of their other releases, but the majority of their output is excerpts from jam sessions, so they're pretty dependable for a sense of spontaneity. They've also been really nice guys every time I've communicated with them. Too bad about the postal cost on anything shipped from Australia, or I'd have more of their albums on my shelf.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Buddy of mine turned me on to Fossilization. Slightly faster than standard doom but it do be crushin.

https://transylvaniantapes.bandcamp.com/album/fossilization-he-whose-name-was-long-forgotten

He also told me to check out Jupiterian. They remind me of Forn a lot and I loooooove Forn.

https://jupiterian.bandcamp.com/album/protosapien

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
On the off chance that you haven't heard them, if you like Jupiterian, you should check out Heavydeath.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Sweet, thanks. I'll check 'em out.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
TIL that Michael Cera is a competent musician. Interesting.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

dsf posted:

new church of the cosmic skull album is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmt-O6of2o4

if you havent heard them yet they can best be described as the black sabbath / ABBA crossover you never knew you wanted until now

This is from like a month back but I finally caught up with the thread and goddamn, I've spent the last two days just devouring Church of the Cosmic Skull's output relentlessly. Big thanks for the recommendation/heads up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

This is from like a month back but I finally caught up with the thread and goddamn, I've spent the last two days just devouring Church of the Cosmic Skull's output relentlessly. Big thanks for the recommendation/heads up.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That site is loving incredible :allears:

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Just met a couple at a new tiki bar (I loved it there). The dude was wearing a body void shirt. Apparently they're in a band called Beira. Got home, looked them up.

Woah they're rad!!!

https://beiramusic.bandcamp.com/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

That has to be some guerilla marketing by the band, surely? If not, :lol:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It absolutely is - same registrar and host as the bands official website. The comments section is full of people taking it 100% seriously though which is amazing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw localised versions of the same thing which gave it away, but that is why I was sharing it :)

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Mode 7 posted:

That site is loving incredible :allears:

I finally checked it out, and oh my, what an incredible find!

Edit: Their official website is pretty rad, too: https://cosmicskull.org/

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 27, 2022

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I respect a band that puts a little effort into their website.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I like Vile Creature's website. https://www.vilecreature.net/

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

im_sorry posted:

I like Vile Creature's website. https://www.vilecreature.net/

Wow! Holy flashbacks, Batman! That's incredible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRv6Bu8tTgg

yoooo

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Some of the best post-metal I've heard in a while https://voidoflight.bandcamp.com/album/void-of-light

also here's a cool tribute to Thou https://riffmerchant.bandcamp.com/album/heavier-than-thou

Varg fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 30, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Third Man sent me an email yesterday saying they made a shipping label for that Dopesmoker definitive box set and they're shipping them alphabetically by first name, so I'm near the end but gently caress YEAH

Live at Third Man is so good, I'm so stoked to see the final product on this one

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Melvins played tonight at a smaller venue very close to where I live, but because of no promotion locally about the show, I was not aware of said show until Thursday night. Therefore I couldn't schedule the night off from work ahead of time. I definitely would have gone to the show if I knew about it earlier. Bands this awesome playing in the area I live in is so rare.

Set list from the show per setlist.fm

Oven
Lovely Butterfly
It's Shoved
Anaconda
Lizzy
Charlie (Redd Kross cover)
Euthanasia
Mr. Dog
Never Say You're Sorry
Evil New War God
Hooch
Honey Bucket
The Bit
With Teeth
Ballad of Dwight Fry (Alice Cooper cover)

loving pisses me off that this wasn't promoted at all. I even get emails from this venue about upcoming shows, but I never got anything about this one. Such bullshit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

only ever got to see Melvins live once and they were amazing. That was nearly a decade ago though, I’d love to see them again

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

MrQwerty posted:

Third Man sent me an email yesterday saying they made a shipping label for that Dopesmoker definitive box set and they're shipping them alphabetically by first name, so I'm near the end but gently caress YEAH.

Slightly concerned I haven’t gotten my similar email notification.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Melvins played tonight at a smaller venue very close to where I live, but because of no promotion locally about the show, I was not aware of said show until Thursday night. Therefore I couldn't schedule the night off from work ahead of time. I definitely would have gone to the show if I knew about it earlier. Bands this awesome playing in the area I live in is so rare.

Oven
Lovely Butterfly
It's Shoved
Anaconda
Lizzy
Euthanasia
Mr. Dog
Never Say You're Sorry
Evil New War God
Hooch
Honey Bucket
The Bit
With Teeth

loving pisses me off that this wasn't promoted at all. I even get emails from this venue about upcoming shows, but I never got anything about this one. Such bullshit.

That's a great set list as well.

I haven't seen the Melvins live since the Big Business days and would love to see them again.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

butros posted:

Same, but slightly relieved to see I’m not the only one.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

spaced ninja posted:

Same, but slightly relieved to see I’m not the only one.

Third Man is... interesting to deal with. I have never had a shipping issue with them though, they always come through. It was like a month after people started getting their Live at Third Man when I got my shipping email.

I actually called them about Live at Third Man and was reassured that it was in the pipe, you can do that too.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Oven
Lovely Butterfly
It's Shoved
Anaconda
Lizzy
Euthanasia
Mr. Dog
Never Say You're Sorry
Evil New War God
Hooch
Honey Bucket
The Bit
With Teeth

Gonna see them next week, great set list. I've luckily had the chance to see them twice already though, once with Big Business which was killer. I'm really pumped that Crowbar is finally coming back to my city in September though, never got a chance to see em before.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

butros posted:

I didn't get one but it arrived today.

It's positively bursting at the seams.

Think my Weedian just proceeded.

It's green... like weed!

A piss-poor attempt at getting a shot of the etching on side W or whatever.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Ofuk. What’s your last name start with? Wondering where I am in the pecking order.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

S.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I learned recently that Des, the previous drummer from High on Fire, left the band because he got mad about Pike touring with Sleep so much because it made better money than HoF did.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Well poo poo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

butros posted:

Ofuk. What’s your last name start with? Wondering where I am in the pecking order.

it's not last name, it's first name

Third Man posted:

We are shipping this package in alphabetical order (A-Z) by FIRST NAME. If you see that your information says 'Pre-Shipment', don't worry! We have our shipping labels pre-printed, so your package is simply awaiting shipment.

Like I said, dealing with Third Man is weird.

That looks great, though, Detective Thompson. Really stoked.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 6, 2022

butros
Aug 2, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

it's not last name, it's first name

Like I said, dealing with Third Man is weird.

That looks great, though, Detective Thompson. Really stoked.

still ofuk :smith: my first name starts with P

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

butros posted:

still ofuk :smith: my first name starts with P

you get yours shipped before mine

or at the same time, they aren't that far apart

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

My first name begins with A, so they're still probably sorting through a lot of stuff. I just looked at my email for messages from the last time I ordered from them for the live album in 2019, and they sent me a tracking number then, but not this time. They don't seem to be consistent with it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

https://youtu.be/T7C0GMW1AOI

Would sure love to not be reverting to hearing this on YouTube.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Primitive Man and Body Void tonight. So freaking pumped for Body Void.

I'm between houses at the moment and I think I accidentally packed my earplugs into storage. Yaaaaaay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's definitely an "earplugs available at the bar" show I'm sure.