Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Interesting- I've always felt that "Adrift In The Ocean" was one of their weaker tunes, since it reuses some of the riffs from Middian's "Dreamless Eye."

I'll have to keep an ear out for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Mental Tyrant 4 life.

I have avoided listening to the new YOB and Pallbearer albums until I get ahold of the LPs.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm a YOB weirdo but Catharsis is the track I listen to over and over again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Prepare the Ground is my favourite Yob track of all time. That riff opening the whole album :drat:

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
Burning the Altar is the greatest YOB track. :colbert:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I agree entirely, I just want to know how they pick those albums. Is it a matter of band PR pushing them to the right reviewers?

Largely depends on the band having themes that are palatable to them I think. Look at how much attention Wolves in the Throne Room got for instance, just by having nature themed lyrics and combining that with a hippie commune/anarchist image.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
drat, Stockholm is so good for stoner metal. So far this year we've had Vista Chino, Red Fang, Mastodon, High on Fire, Truckfighters, Windhand, and Blood Ceremony here. And this fall YOB + Pallbearer, Jex Thoth, Earthless, Saint Vitus + Orange Goblin, and Mastodon again are coming.
So excited for that YOB + PB show, I love both of their new albums and will get the vinyls ASAP.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna say this now while before I crash for the night:

If any of you have never seen Bongripper live loving GO JESUS CHRIST. Holy poo poo they're soooo good and I only wish they'd have had a longer set.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Shakenbaker posted:

Gonna say this now while before I crash for the night:

If any of you have never seen Bongripper live loving GO JESUS CHRIST. Holy poo poo they're soooo good and I only wish they'd have had a longer set.

I'm assuming this is about Southern Darkness Fest, but holy poo poo I still agree with this guy. Bongripper's amp blew partway through their set and they only got to play 2 or 3 songs, but their set was still the most metal thing I've ever seen.

Also, Southern Darkness Fest was killer. Yautja and Bongripper are particular highlights. I hope it comes back next year (and it sounds like it will).

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I've seen Bongripper 4 times and I will still drive down to Chicago for every show they announce.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm assuming this is about Southern Darkness Fest, but holy poo poo I still agree with this guy. Bongripper's amp blew partway through their set and they only got to play 2 or 3 songs, but their set was still the most metal thing I've ever seen.

Also, Southern Darkness Fest was killer. Yautja and Bongripper are particular highlights. I hope it comes back next year (and it sounds like it will).

Yeah, that's where I was. Losing what...10 minutes? to equipment failure does suck but anytime they were playing it was mindblowing. So loving good.

Any idea what the chick who got up on stage, tried to tell the band something, and then dove off and bolted was about?

Missed Yautja because I was at ASG's set, and they do a pretty damned good job too. Was kinda bummed that Black Tusk was playing against Bongripper, but what can you do? Had some hard choices to make.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not feeling the new YOB as much as everyone else. It really drags. Nothing to Win is awesome though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Crackerman posted:

So John Garcia finally released his solo album.

It’s not terrible, although it doesn’t break any new ground or anything. It’s better than the Vista Chino album, partially because it’s shorter and more streamlined, but it’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from a John Garcia solo album.

It kind of sounds like if Kyuss stayed together but started running out of steam after 6 or 7 albums.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm still trying to get into the album, I've only gotten to stream a couple of the tracks so far, the production sure is an improvement from the first album. Though I slightly miss the sound they had going on the first album with the melody guitar parts. So far the vocals seem like a huge step up and pretty impressive. Maybe that's what's getting peoples attention?
THAT'S what I'm missing. I couldn't put my finger on why I like Sorrow & Extinction better, and that's exactly the reason.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
There's a metal-focused recording studio here that have started doing "Live in the studio"-type recordings of bands, and they're turning out pretty good so far.

Skraeckoedlan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwvbXlDyEBg, stoner rock similar to Truckfighters.

Colossus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILP4hkpazMs, they describe themselves as post-sludge, which I guess is accurate.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The new Earth album is holy loving poo poo good stuff. Best thing they've put out in a long time

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The COC/Bl'ast/Brant Bjork tour starts today- anyone checking out the shows this week? I'll be hitting the Vancouver show on Labour Day.

Bl'ast aren't playing that show, probably because Nick can't get across the border, but that means that Azodanum, one of my favorite local acts, get to take one of the opening slots. It's a great opportunity for those dudes, and they deserve it. I can't wait for them to record a proper album- the demo version of "Butchered" has been in constant rotation for me lately: http://azodanum.bandcamp.com/track/butchered

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Personperson14 posted:

The new Earth album is holy loving poo poo good stuff. Best thing they've put out in a long time

Delighted to hear this. I love Earth forever. Their last few albums have all been very samey (which is fine, they've basically perfected their sound) so I'm glad to hear reports that they're doing some new stuff on the new one. The new tracks I heard live were great.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know much about Bongripper's merch, specifically if they only do limited runs of things? I really want that loving goat shirt and it's sold out, so I'd like to know if there's hope of me getting one or if it's a pipe dream.

Also, looks like High on Fire's coming through in a few weeks. I really do love it when the stars align and I'm swamped in awesome shows.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You should sign up to Bongripper's mailing list, they're very good for emailing about merch. They put it up on their Facebook too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seeing Conan next week - whats the best place to start listening to them?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Don't, they're shite.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
lol ^

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You should sign up to Bongripper's mailing list, they're very good for emailing about merch. They put it up on their Facebook too.

Guess I'll do that then, thanks for the heads up.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Sleep played Hole in the Sky tonight :allears:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Laserface posted:

Seeing Conan next week - whats the best place to start listening to them?
Their latest LP. They only have two though, and they're both great. Simple!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

nerve posted:

Sleep played Hole in the Sky tonight :allears:

God it owned so hard. It took me a second to process that they were playing that. Who was the dude singing? Was it the synth player from Corrections House?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Brogeoisie posted:

God it owned so hard. It took me a second to process that they were playing that. Who was the dude singing? Was it the synth player from Corrections House?

Pretty sure it was the sax player.

BTW how about that corrections house... yeesh that was not good

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
New Earth is so good. Their best since Hex, if not better.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

nerve posted:

Pretty sure it was the sax player.

BTW how about that corrections house... yeesh that was not good

Yeah.. pretty bad. I felt like it would have been tolerable if the lyrics weren't so bad + they axed that spoken word segment. Or their logo. Or the pulpit thingy. Can't believe Scott Kelly would subject himself to that.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Brogeoisie posted:

Yeah.. pretty bad. I felt like it would have been tolerable if the lyrics weren't so bad + they axed that spoken word segment. Or their logo. Or the pulpit thingy. Can't believe Scott Kelly would subject himself to that.

Scott Kelly's a tool. Check out his blog for proof.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Great voice though. Still holding out for Shrinebuilder 2...

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Brogeoisie posted:

Yeah I saw them at Roadburn, really underwhelming. Later I chatted with the vocalist for a bit who was kinda wasted, it was like the opposite of being starstruck, if there's a word for that.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

Yeah I saw them at Roadburn, really underwhelming. Later I chatted with the vocalist for a bit who was kinda wasted, it was like the opposite of being starstruck, if there's a word for that.

Mike IX Williams is often wasted. He rules.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Fermented Piss posted:

Mike IX Williams is often wasted. He rules.

He was pretty loving embarrassingly bad both nights opening for Sleep. And my god the lyrics for that poo poo sounds like something a 13 year old would write. Horrible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nerve posted:

He was pretty loving embarrassingly bad both nights opening for Sleep. And my god the lyrics for that poo poo sounds like something a 13 year old would write. Horrible.

Sad to hear this. I wouldn't imagine him being that corny and bad, was actually looking forward to hearing Corrections House until now.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

ElectricWizard posted:

New Earth is so good. Their best since Hex, if not better.

Is it out? I pre-ordered it, but haven't gotten it yet.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

El Miguel posted:

Is it out? I pre-ordered it, but haven't gotten it yet.
Stream and download on their bandcamp: https://earthsl.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for reminding me, it's rushing along the wires to me computer right now.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just noticed it's on Spotify too!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Corrosion Of Conformity were loving awesome tonight. Seriously impressive musicianship all around. I can't believe I haven't listened to their two newest releases yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Stream and download on their bandcamp: https://earthsl.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for reminding me, it's rushing along the wires to me computer right now.

Much obliged.