Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Anyone seen any good masks from any SDS bands/labels?

I got this pretty silly Dead Meadow mask from their store. I just really like Dead Meadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Oh wow, I totally forgot about Dead Meadow.

rushes off to listen to Shivering King

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
What's wrong with the Ramones?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nerve posted:

What's wrong with the Ramones?

What is this in reference to

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Sweeper posted:

What is this in reference to

The Wire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mhNL3LcJu0&t=53s

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I just binged that during my WFH for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised when those dudes were jamming Dead Meadow. McNulty absolutely seems like the kinda dad that would bitch about today's modern music.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm so glad I had a chance to finally see them in...wanna say late 2019, maybe pre-roni 2020. One of the last of my formative SDS bands that I hadn't caught

e: trying to think of the biggest active SDS bands I haven't seen yet...Bongzilla and the Obsessed come to mind. They aren't big per se but I've never been able to see Blood Ceremony.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 29, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm so glad I had a chance to finally see them in...wanna say late 2019, maybe pre-roni 2020. One of the last of my formative SDS bands that I hadn't caught

e: trying to think of the biggest active SDS bands I haven't seen yet...Bongzilla and the Obsessed come to mind. They aren't big per se but I've never been able to see Blood Ceremony.

I've seen them a few times and really enjoy their show. I almost prefer them live over the albums, although I will get in a phase and rot on Old Growth for sure.

How does one qualify as biggest? I'd see Bongripper in a heartbeat for sure, and would definitely not sleep on an Inter Arma show.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I never saw Sabbath live :(

active ones though? I'm struggling to think of one big one I haven't seen..

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

hatelull posted:

How does one qualify as biggest? I'd see Bongripper in a heartbeat for sure, and would definitely not sleep on an Inter Arma show.

In SDS, all bands take the highest spot!

I’ve caught most of the bands I’ve wanted to, but there’s 3 still on my bucket list:

1. Master Musicians of Bukkake
2. Ahab
3. Major Kong

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'll see any stoner/doom band at least once and have rarely had a bad experience doing so, and in fact bands I didnt like much on media were much more enjoyable live (yob is a good example, went from 'meh' to 'holy gently caress' in one chord)

still on my bucket list
Bongripper (never toured Australia as far as i can tell)
yawning man (i missed them at the start of the year, gg)
acid king (i got too stoned to leave my house right before the show)
electric wizard (sold out)
All them Witches (never toured here)
Im sure theres more but thats all i can recall for now.

big ones Ive seen:
Yob (definitely a life changing gig)
Monolord
Elder (on the Lore tour)
Earthless
QOTSA (i guess they fit here)
windhand
high on fire (probably 6 times now)
sleep (at least twice)
Cough

the above was the most ridiculous 2 years of gigs of my life. We got so lucky :(

smaller bands Im glad I saw:
Graveyard (not super my thing but a fun gig with lots of singalongs in the moody songs)
ufomammut (played after monolord and i was pretty burnt out but it was still crushing)
uncle acid and the deadbeats (IMO they are top tier but not everyone likes em, these guys are definitely playing at mainstream festival level of performance though)

then theres all the local acts that Id go see a couple times a year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sunn O))) was hands-down the best live gig I've been to in my life. Genuinely transcendent.

SDS bands I've seen live

Earth x4
Sleep x2
Shrinebuilder
Black Sabbath
Yob
Boris
Sunn O)))
Melvins

All great

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've only got Yob, Bell Witch and Pallbearer (2x) in the bag when it comes to s/d/s but all three of them absolutely blew my mind.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've Sleep in Om 3-4 times each I have never seen HoF. Without fail, I'm out of town, they are booked against something I'm going to instead (which I know sounds wild), etc

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Thou / ERR collab comes out this week, very excited

As someone that enjoys basically everything that Emma and Thou are involved in, this was exactly what I wanted and expected.

It's so drat good

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Ingmar terdman posted:

I've Sleep in Om 3-4 times each I have never seen HoF. Without fail, I'm out of town, they are booked against something I'm going to instead (which I know sounds wild), etc

I have two white whale bands in Fu Manchu and Big Business. Think I’ve bought tickets to and subsequently not been able to make it to the show or show has been cancelled for at least three shows for both bands.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sabbath is the only big name I've seen in this scene.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Meromorte posted:

https://swampmine.bandcamp.com/album/against-the-grain

Hey guys, longtime thread lurker here. I'm a singer for a band called Swamp Mine from the faraway lands of Estonia and we have just released our second album called "Against the Grain" on Bandcamp and all major music streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music etc). We are playing sludge/doom/groove metal heavily inspired by Crowbar, Corrosion of Conformity, Down, Eyehategod etc and it would be pretty cool if you gave our new album a listen. Also feedback is always appreciated.

This is good stuff, brother.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ok, I looked through my library of SDS & related bands I've seen, all in NJ/NY/PA/MD. I guess I am was spoiled

-(16)-
Acid King
Amenra
Bell Witch
Black Tusk
Bongripper (x2)
Bongzilla
Boris
Buzzov-en
Candlemass
Cavity
Church of Misery
Churchburn (x2)
Cirith Ungol
Conan (x2)
Cough
Crypt Sermon (x3)
Deadbird
Derkéta (x2)
Down
Earth
Elder
Electric Wizard (x2)
Evoken (x2)
Eyehategod
Hell
High on Fire
Indian
Inter Arma
Junior Bruce
Mantar
Mastodon (x2)
Mournful Congregation
Neurosis (x2)
Noothgrush
Novembers Doom
Om
Pallbearer (x2)
Paradise Lost
Pelican
Primitive Man (x2)
Rippikoulu
Saint Vitus
Sleep (x3)
Spectral Voice (x2)
Spirit Adrift
SubRosa
Sumac
Thou
Triptykon
Ufomammut
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Unearthly Trance
Warning
Weedeater
Windhand (x2)
Yob (x3)

Varg fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 30, 2020

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i've seen bongripper like 6 or 7 times. benefits of living near chicago

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’ve got:
Baroness
Bell Witch x2
Black Sabbath
Bloodiest
The Body
Bongripper
Boris
Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean (played with them)
Church of Misery
Conan
Crowbar
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas (also CoL themselves was my last show before COVID)
Earth
Electric Wizard
Eyehategod x3
Fu Manchu x2
Godflesh
High on Fire x3
Indian x2
Inter Arma x3
Intronaut x5 (all openers)
Khemmis x2
Kylesa
Mastodon x2
Melvins x2
Minsk
Monolord
Neurosis x3
Pallbearer x3
REZN
Sleep x3
Thou x2
Torche
Ufomammut
Warning
Weedeater x2
YOB x3

Almost all of these are since moving to Chicago, the S/D/S capital of the US.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Hellblazer187 posted:

Sabbath is the only big name I've seen in this scene.

Me, too! With Tony Martin. :sigh:

Oh, I did see Clutch twice.

My "problem" is that I work second shift, and I live 60 miles outside of philly which is the closest city to me that SDS bands go to.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
abridged:

Acid King
All Them Witches x2
Beast in the Field x2
The Body x2
Bongripper x6
Bongzilla x2
Church of Misery
Earth
Elder
Electric Wizard
Fister x2
Hell
High on Fire
Kadavar
Kowloon Walled City
Monolord
Moon Curse x2
Mount Salem
Neurosis
Northless x2
The Ocean
Primitive Man
Sleep x2
Spirit Caravan
The Sword
SubRosa
Thou & The Body collab set
Thou
Torche
Truckfighters
Ufommammut
Weedeater
Windhand x2
Witch Mountain
Yob
Mike Schedit solo acoustic set

missing bigly:
Om
Boris
Melvins
Sunn O)))
Fu Manchu
Inter Arma
Eyehategod
Down
Cough

missing forever:
black sabbath

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh poo poo I've also seen Mastodon 4 times, last time was the tour with Scott Kelly, absolute GOAT season

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was thinking I never saw Black Sabbath but I kind of did, in 1986 with WASP and Anthrax. Tony was the only original member.

I won the tickets on the radio and it was my first metal show. What a crazy experience, that crowd blew my mind.

E- and Sleep in 94 was amazing, I had been waiting since Asbestos Death to see those guys and they blew away Hawkwind, the headliner.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Guess I need to put REZN on the bucket list

https://youtu.be/0Ex13E9QxHs

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ERR/Thou is out and just the first track is immediately my favorite thing this year. God drat what an incredible combination.

e: KC does vocals too. What an album.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 30, 2020

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

butros posted:

I have two white whale bands in Fu Manchu and Big Business. Think I’ve bought tickets to and subsequently not been able to make it to the show or show has been cancelled for at least three shows for both bands.

I saw Big Business open for Sleep on one of their last tours and came away a fan.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I saw Big Business open for Sleep on one of their last tours and came away a fan.

Yeah I never knew their stuff then saw them live last year and loved them. I still haven’t listened to any of their records but I’d definitely see their shows again

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Hypnolobster posted:

ERR/Thou is out and just the first track is immediately my favorite thing this year. God drat what an incredible combination.

Ya it whips rear end. Just gotta wait for the records to ship out in December now...

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Snowy posted:

I was thinking I never saw Black Sabbath but I kind of did, in 1986 with WASP and Anthrax. Tony was the only original member.

I won the tickets on the radio and it was my first metal show. What a crazy experience, that crowd blew my mind.

E- and Sleep in 94 was amazing, I had been waiting since Asbestos Death to see those guys and they blew away Hawkwind, the headliner.

All of the above rules

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Hypnolobster posted:

This is sooooo good, this is on par with CoL/Julie Christmas - Mariner for “loving amazing collabs”

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

that reminds me, Snowy are you the Larry David doppleganger guy I see at all the heavy shows around the NYC area?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

butros posted:

that reminds me, Snowy are you the Larry David doppleganger guy I see at all the heavy shows around the NYC area?

:) No but I have met him a few times and worked in the same building for a while. All the photos I see of him show him wearing Sleep shirts but he also has a pretty sick Godflesh shirt collection.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He was a couple people away from at one of the last sleep shows and it was a major blessing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What a legend

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The really hosed up thing is that there are people out there who don't like Thou

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hypnolobster posted:

It's so good

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I uhhhhhh Ive seen a lot of bands

edit: gently caress yeah thou/errrrrrrrr

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Eat The Rich posted:

I uhhhhhh Ive seen a lot of bands

Same but not recently. My one regret about leaving the UK is that for such a small country it is really well served in terms of international tours - often you have a band playing at least London, Manchester and Glasgow, maybe Leeds or Sheffield as well. Now if I'm really lucky the nearest stop for tours is half the country away in Oslo, but more often it's Amsterdam or Berlin.

e: no wait my other regret is that beer costs too much here

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 30, 2020