Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Morbid Florist posted:

Oh baby! Ahab's working on new poo poo again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HwMoEzcw2kk

I loved Wretched Sea, busted a nut for Divinity of Oceans, I hope this one keeps up the trend.

I'm pretty excited about this. The recording sounds very nice.
Here's the cover:

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
Roskilde Festival have announced Baroness, Crowbar, Red Fang, Weedeater and Hank Williams III (who apparently is also playing some doom).

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goddamn, anyone have a 1920x1080 version of Earth's Angels of Darkness and Demons of Light I cover art? Would make a sick wallpaper.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Huh abrupt and full of drama change of plans, is anyone looking to buy a Roadburn ticket? Fest + afterburner, for the price I paid for it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm pretty excited about this. The recording sounds very nice.
Here's the cover:

I kinda hope they change that because the last two covers were actually good works of art and relevant to the music. The shipwreck picture on the last one I like to the point I'd like a print of it in the house.

Compared to those.....what the gently caress is this thing

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

a collage of spooky nautical tattoo designs or something

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Morbid Florist posted:

I kinda hope they change that because the last two covers were actually good works of art and relevant to the music. The shipwreck picture on the last one I like to the point I'd like a print of it in the house.

Compared to those.....what the gently caress is this thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raft_of_the_medusa

It's a really amazing painting, with some very interesting history. Anyone that likes the painting should read about it, it's well worth the time.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

New Horseback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okj2Y_GHRBs

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

aliencowboy posted:

New Horseback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okj2Y_GHRBs

Related: New Caltrop (same drummer):
Birdsong: http://www.shufflemag.com/track-premiere-caltrops-birdsong/
Form and Abandon: http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-streaming-caltrop-form-and-abandon/

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but this seems like my best bet.

Does anyone have a spare 4-day camping pass for Roadburn they wish to sell? I'm pretty much desperate.
You see, I've bought both plane and festival tickets but for some retarded reason (me being a retard) I've neglected buying a camping pass on the assumption that they wouldn't run out of them. Well, time proved me wrong.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The forever doomed forum is probably the best place to ask. Not that you shouldn't ask here but it seems like it's where most tickets are bought and sold.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Figured I'd throw out my friend's band:

I went to school and am still good friends with Tim Bradley, mastermind behind Orwell. I have to mention that I love his latest EP, AVOHFASIH (A View Of Heaven From A Seat In Hell) which creatively came bound in artwork and closed with a wax seal. Pretty awesome. I still haven't opened my copy. I love the presentation too much :)

Anyway, my opinion is jaded but I like what they've put out.

FYI, their first release - Endeavors - is more speed/thrash-like while the new release AVOHFASIH seems more doom/stoner/sludge-y IMO. I'm pretty bad at identifying doom/stoner/sludge though.

Anyway, here are a couple links including most of their discography on SoundCloud.

http://soundcloud.com/orwellwi
http://orwellus.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/orwellwi
http://www.aseatinhell.com/

feld fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 24, 2012

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ sounds like your run of the mill post metal / neurisis worship to me

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Good write up of West's band Fire in the Cave over at Doommantia

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
NPR is streaming De Vermis Mysteriis, the new High on Fire album.

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 26, 2012

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Oh man I usually like Kurt Ballou's production but this sounds like a horrible muddy over-compressed mess and I don't think the quality of the stream is to blame. I wish they'd make another album with Steve Albini. Blessed Black Wings had such a great sound.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

m-o-o-n posted:

Oh man I usually like Kurt Ballou's production but this sounds like a horrible muddy over-compressed mess and I don't think the quality of the stream is to blame. I wish they'd make another album with Steve Albini. Blessed Black Wings had such a great sound.

I completely agree with the quality of the production. I also felt like the songs ran together and nothing really stood out on first listen, which is a shame as I thought Snakes for the Divine was a great-sounding album.

Blessed Black Wings had a great sound too, but given the commentary they had on Albini in the NPR piece, I doubt they'll work with him again.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I like "Madness of an Architect" a lot, but none of the other songs seem very interesting to me. I really wish Pike would write some more slow songs, because his fast songs all end up sounding the same.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I'm glad I'm not alone, my second time through I kinda sighed and said 'well, there are only so many motorhead riffs'. Maybe I'll like it more on a better rip, I bet that stream is compressed to hell.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone else heard the new Saint Vitus single, Blessed Night yet? I'm feeling it.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anyone else heard the new Saint Vitus single, Blessed Night yet? I'm feeling it.

THE WHAT holy christ new st. vitus I don't know how to feel

edit: it sounds like wino, wino is cool, that's good enough for me

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 28, 2012

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Don't think anyone's posted this yet, new Ufommamut track. It sounds like Ufomammut and it sounds awesome.

Really like the new High on Fire on first listen, I've had problems getting into them in the past - never held my attention much apart from the odd standout track.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Idioteque Dance posted:

Really like the new High on Fire on first listen, I've had problems getting into them in the past - never held my attention much apart from the odd standout track.

I'm in the same boat as well. All of my friends love them, I love all of their influences, and I love Matt Pikes guitar playing but I've only ever been able to get into the first record, and I've seen me a good for or five times and been bored to death each time.

I liked the half of this record I got to hear.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I want HoF's first album something fierce, but I'm guessing it's out of print? Boo-urns!

Hypnosia
Mar 4, 2004

Gjalar Cock
i can't remember how i came across them but i liked Black Pyramid's self titled album.

example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddl0PO3L6K4

not as into the new album but i dig them all the same

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

^^^ Stormbringer is really good. It's a collection of older stuff, like B sides and all that. I like it as much as their S/T album. II is good, but not as good as those.

nosophoros posted:

I want HoF's first album something fierce, but I'm guessing it's out of print? Boo-urns!

Art of Self Defense? I have it on CD from about 8-9 years ago from Amazon. It's really good and a lot different than their later stuff. It's like heavier Sleep.

Ew, it's still on Amazon, but used is $30 and new is $50 for CD. Vinyl is $50. I think I paid $8 :(

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 29, 2012

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

blue.eyed.ash posted:

I also felt like the songs ran together and nothing really stood out on first listen, which is a shame as I thought Snakes for the Divine was a great-sounding album.

Really? Man, I must have the most rose-colored glasses in the universe then, because I love drat near every track. I'm a huge High on Fire fan, so yeah, bias probably plays in, but I really dig the new album. Madness of an Architect is easily worth the price of admission. King of Days is also a cool departure from their usual stuff.

I dig Snakes a ton too, and it's possible this is my "new high on fire!" boner at work, but I definitely think it's better.

quote:

I really wish Pike would write some more slow songs, because his fast songs all end up sounding the same.

There are 4 on the new album I'd consider "slow". I don't think you're ever likely to see HoF not write fast songs that sound the same though - that seems to be what works for them =P.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I think the first two tracks are two of the weakest, which is really strange because high on fire usually starts an album by kicking you in the balls and face. I think that's what colors my perception of it... madness of an architect and king of days are sweet though, as is that instrumental

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Saikonate posted:

Really? Man, I must have the most rose-colored glasses in the universe then, because I love drat near every track. I'm a huge High on Fire fan, so yeah, bias probably plays in, but I really dig the new album. Madness of an Architect is easily worth the price of admission. King of Days is also a cool departure from their usual stuff.

I dig Snakes a ton too, and it's possible this is my "new high on fire!" boner at work, but I definitely think it's better.

There are 4 on the new album I'd consider "slow". I don't think you're ever likely to see HoF not write fast songs that sound the same though - that seems to be what works for them =P.

I'm a huge fan of High on Fire too - and on second and third listens, I like the new album a bit more than my first shake, but I still think I like Snakes more. I'd say the block of songs from tracks 4-7 is my favorite stuff on the album.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ONly have given the new HoF one listen but it didn't really hit for me. Really liked Samsara, but not much else made an overly positive impression. Really didn't like the first two tracks much at all, maybe they will grow.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
A chance to see YOB two times in two months? Yeah, I'll take it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I don't get all the hate for the new HoF album. It's probably my favorite along with Blessed Black Wings. It's miles better than Snakes. It's a diverse album in my opinion and has quite a few stand out tracks. I was hesitant at first when I heard Fertile Green, thinking it was going to be one chugging song after another, but there are some nice breaks. It's really good.

EDIT -

nuncle jimbo posted:

I think the first two tracks are two of the weakest, which is really strange because high on fire usually starts an album by kicking you in the balls and face. I think that's what colors my perception of it... madness of an architect and king of days are sweet though, as is that instrumental

I really like the first song, it's probably one of my favorites off the new album :(

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 1, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Think I'll wait for a better quality version before I listen, the quality of that stream doesn't sound great.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Love Sex Machine has put out one of the heaviest, ugliest sludge albums I've heard in years. Fans of Abominable Iron Sloth would probably appreciate.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A friend of a friend can't get to roadburn and has a 3-day, non-camping ticket going at face value. PM me if you want in.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

bleedbackwards posted:

Love Sex Machine has put out one of the heaviest, ugliest sludge albums I've heard in years. Fans of Abominable Iron Sloth would probably appreciate.

This is drat good, thanks for posting it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

This is the poo poo, thanks.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

bleedbackwards posted:

Holy poo poo. Now I have to go check out Abominable Iron Sloth, but I don't want to stop playing this.

e: Okay, Abominable Iron Sloth is pretty cool, but I kind of get a slow-parts-of-Cephalic-Carnage vibe from them, and I'm not sure if I like that as much without the fast-parts-of-Cephalic-Carnage vibe.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 1, 2012

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

amplifier worship posted:

Holy poo poo. Now I have to go check out Abominable Iron Sloth, but I don't want to stop playing this.

e: Okay, Abominable Iron Sloth is pretty cool, but I kind of get a slow-parts-of-Cephalic-Carnage vibe from them, and I'm not sure if I like that as much without the fast-parts-of-Cephalic-Carnage vibe.

If you haven't heard The Id Will Overcome, it is well worth a listen. Just a great really heavy sludge record. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rta93F9UJ3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I should note that my perceptions of High on Fire definitely do not line up with most people's, so YMMV. I think Surrounded By Thieves is the best thing they've put out by a considerable margin, as it combines the unusual rhythms and drum patterns of Sleep and The Art Of Self Defense with the punishing war-metal approach Pike seems to favor currently. There are a lot of bands out there that cite HoF as an influence now, but I have never heard another band approach the sound they achieved on Thieves.