Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Has there been any decent funeral doom metal releases this year? I haven't heard one funeral album that impressed in awhile by now, and I'm quite sad that Longing for Dawn broke up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Just heard Down's new EP. It's pretty good if you're already a fan of the band.

I still wish Phil would let Pepper and Kirk add to the vocals. The 3 already make a powerhouse just playing music together, add in them all singing and you really take it up a few notches.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

abske_fides posted:

Has there been any decent funeral doom metal releases this year? I haven't heard one funeral album that impressed in awhile by now, and I'm quite sad that Longing for Dawn broke up :(

The new Ahab, but I don't know how Funeral they are compared to Wretched Sea

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chromatic posted:

Didn't know about this, thanks!

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Chromatic posted:

Streaming here for anyone interested.
http://www.billboard.com/features/d...007949382.story

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

The new Ahab, but I don't know how Funeral they are compared to Wretched Sea

If it's like their second album, it'll be pretty far from funeral :(

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Diseased Yak posted:

I can scarcely believe my good fortune. Check out the show that's happening where in live in September:

Will be my first time seeing any of these bands (except for Rwake, who are local dudes) live. I'm most excited for YOB as I worship them like they deserve.

Quoting myself so I can do a show report on this.

First off, the show started promptly at 8:30pm and YOB, the last band, finished at roughly 1am-ish.

Secondly, my ears are still ringing.

HOLY gently caress this show was amazing. Norska started off (a new band, featuring YOB's bassist and a singer with the most epic gently caress-you beard I've seen), they used most of YOB's speaker system, and it was the loudest loving thing ever. My whole body was vibrating, my chest was pressurized. If you haven't already GO BUY NORSKA's DEBUT ALBUM. I picked up a special colored vinyl of it at the concert, along with their kick rear end t-shirt.

Next up was Rwake, Little Rock's local doom-ish band. They were solid as usual, but I would say just under what Norska pulled off before them.

After that we had Weedeater, who were solid as gently caress. The lead singer dude, known for vomiting on stage (he did not disappoint in this), was like a manic preacher, jumping around, very animated, very awesome. I've loved Weedeater for years and it was awesome hearing such tracks as "God Luck, Good Speed".

Weedeater was followed by the veterans, Saint Vitus. They tore it UP! Very loving loud, very loving amazing. They engaged the crowd pretty well. The highlight was probably their drummer, who was determined to put someone's eye out by constantly throwing his drumsticks into the crowd at high velocity.

Finally, my dream came true, I finally got to see YOB live, who took the stage and proceeded to murder everyone's eardrums with some sonic riffs that were felt more than heard. The floors, the metal railings on stairs, everything, was vibrating. YOB were solid as gently caress, playing quite a few of their greatest songs, including The Great Cessation. All of the members are consumate musicians, but I was particularly impressed with singer/guitarist Mike Scheidt, who was very animated and constantly leaning back into the riffs he was throwing out.

Overall, it was simply amazing, and I'm sad for the rest of you that this line-up was one night only. Despite this, GO SEE YOB/NORSKA as soon as you can!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

abske_fides posted:

The new Evoken is totally amazing. If you're being picky it's probably more "death doom" as it has more changes in pace than a band like Mournful Congregation or Skepticism, but it really is excellent. I highly recommend it. Also I haven't heard it but there was a fair amount of buzz around the Anhedonist record that came out earlier this year so if you haven't heard it either you might like that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Diseased Yak posted:

After that we had Weedeater, who were solid as gently caress. The lead singer dude, known for vomiting on stage (he did not disappoint in this), was like a manic preacher, jumping around, very animated, very awesome. I've loved Weedeater for years and it was awesome hearing such tracks as "God Luck, Good Speed".

Weedeater was followed by the veterans, Saint Vitus. They tore it UP! Very loving loud, very loving amazing. They engaged the crowd pretty well. The highlight was probably their drummer, who was determined to put someone's eye out by constantly throwing his drumsticks into the crowd at high velocity.

Here to confirm all of the above for last night in Nashville, except Dixie didn't puke. We had Loss and Sourvein before these two with Vitus headlining. Dave is something beyond human, he's really just a force of nature. Played the first song on his knees when his strap broke. Played the rest of the set strapped and sounding out notes by kneeing the back of his bass. A Squier bass, a stack of Sunn and plywood cabs, and a bottle of Bean.

In short, never not see Weedeater.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Diseased Yak posted:

HOLY gently caress this show was amazing.

Found out about this the day it was happening, and it was loving awesome, especially since I ran into an old friend who'd been in a doom drone band that performed a live score for Nosferatu one time.

There were times when Weedeater's bassist was just slumped against the amps, clutching at his bass; I wasn't expecting their drummer to look as old as he appears, but he was giving the drums a serious pounding. They also had some of the best shirt designs I've seen for an active band, I still might end up grabbing the Nuclear Family shirt.

Saint Vitus' drummer had at least ten pairs of sticks that he threw into the crowd. Best part of their performance was when the guitarist was rubbing his face on the strings and still tearing out chords.

And YOB was loving heavy. Ended up burning a few listening to Norska's album with Demons of the Mind playing on mute after the concert. Great night.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Buy the new album by The Sword on CD or vinyl, get a free cassette. I think they're just trolling hipsters at this point:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179571

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Often times I find that I really love bands mentioned in this thread after I have initially passed over for whatever reason. The latest addition to that list is Colour Haze...oh my god. I had no idea. I got hooked after listening "Transformation" from the new album. I've since been making it through their albums Periscope, All and Tempel. I'm really excited for the new album. The warm tones...I just want to snuggle up in there and delicately head bang. I love this thread.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

Chromatic posted:

I still wish Phil would let Pepper and Kirk add to the vocals. The 3 already make a powerhouse just playing music together, add in them all singing and you really take it up a few notches.

I am loving this EP :)

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Sludge's arguably best and unarguably least prolific band, Bossk, have released a new track! Get it from http://bosskonline.com as a free download.

So that makes 5 songs in 7 years. As usual, though, it's really good poo poo.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

Sludge's arguably best and unarguably least prolific band, Bossk, have released a new track! Get it from http://bosskonline.com as a free download.

So that makes 5 songs in 7 years. As usual, though, it's really good poo poo.

Cheers for the heads up, they are playing Damnation Festival in Leeds in November and I am totally going, so I should probably check them out. Bummed out that Amenra and Electric Wizard clash though!

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
Look what came in my mail today all the way from Germany!

EDIT: Just finished listening for the first time, and if you like their other stuff then this album will blow your goddamn mind. Get it ASAP.

Thalamus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 20, 2012

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

Darthemed posted:

Found out about this the day it was happening, and it was loving awesome, especially since I ran into an old friend who'd been in a doom drone band that performed a live score for Nosferatu one time.

There were times when Weedeater's bassist was just slumped against the amps, clutching at his bass; I wasn't expecting their drummer to look as old as he appears, but he was giving the drums a serious pounding. They also had some of the best shirt designs I've seen for an active band, I still might end up grabbing the Nuclear Family shirt.

Saint Vitus' drummer had at least ten pairs of sticks that he threw into the crowd. Best part of their performance was when the guitarist was rubbing his face on the strings and still tearing out chords.

And YOB was loving heavy. Ended up burning a few listening to Norska's album with Demons of the Mind playing on mute after the concert. Great night.

I too was at this show. All of the bands tore it up. It was my first time seeing Rwake live, and I'm from Conway. I missed their last few shows in LR, but I was drat sure I'd make it to this one. Rwake + Yob was a sludge wetdream. Not to mention CT was in the crowd during Yob just rocking out with us. Good times.

Oh btw,

YOU'VE GOT TO GOD drat THESE PEOPLE. YOU'VE GOT TO GOD drat THEM.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Colour Haze...oh my god. I had no idea. [snip] The warm tones...I just want to snuggle up in there and delicately head bang.

Seconded, it blew my mind. If there's such a thing as comfort metal, this is it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
First song from the new Neurosis album

At The Well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiVGpyplJxc

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

For those of us not fortunate enough to have gone to Roadburn, they've put up audio streams on their website of a couple bands.

http://www.roadburn.com/2012/09/hea...r-among-others/

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I saw Mendozza last weekend, having never heard of them before and they absolutely destroyed. I don't know how these guys aren't better known, they really surprised me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFcFSaEKkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xz8BUkHFis

Roadside_Picnic
Jun 7, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Not exactly metal, but any Current 93 fans out there? I've been wading through the back catalog and there's some amazing stuff. And not so amazing stuff.

But this is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkHfMuE9vhE

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
A band I don't see mentioned very often would have to be The Kings Of Frog Island. They're an English stoner band, and they released a trilogy of albums before disbanding. They combine really fuzzy, riff-driven stoner rock with delta blues influences and really creepy harmonies. It's an interesting take on the genre, I figured you guys might enjoy it if you've never heard them before. Their second album, II, is usually considered the best but the whole trilogy is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q0K1NkZXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSDjAzwp2M

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I did not realise there was a goon thread for this. Yes!

Dopesmoker makes my morning commute more bearable recently.

Playing first gig with my three piece instrumental stoner band tonight, playing bass loud and deep. mm, fuzz.

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

A band I don't see mentioned very often would have to be The Kings Of Frog Island.

They are indeed pretty good and you'll probably be glad to hear that they are currently putting the finishing touches on a fourth album.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Psychedelius posted:

They are indeed pretty good and you'll probably be glad to hear that they are currently putting the finishing touches on a fourth album.

Oh, really? I haven't heard anything about that. I just assumed they were done after Matt Bethancourt left. That's fantastic news though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Low Desert Punk posted:

A band I don't see mentioned very often would have to be The Kings Of Frog Island. They're an English stoner band, and they released a trilogy of albums before disbanding. They combine really fuzzy, riff-driven stoner rock with delta blues influences and really creepy harmonies. It's an interesting take on the genre, I figured you guys might enjoy it if you've never heard them before. Their second album, II, is usually considered the best but the whole trilogy is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q0K1NkZXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSDjAzwp2M

Thanks for pointing them it out. I'm going through the first album now. I love how their acoustic guitar stuff exists so seamlessly with the rest of the music. "The River" is interesting in that it kind of holds its own among all the heavier songs while being mostly acoustic. Take a walk with me down by the river.

The River - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG-0SzeZG2M

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Down released a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCoz5P3foY

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Astrotrain posted:

I saw Mendozza last weekend, having never heard of them before and they absolutely destroyed. I don't know how these guys aren't better known, they really surprised me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFcFSaEKkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xz8BUkHFis

It's a mystery to me too. They've been tearing up stages for years now, and their new album is beastly. I caught them at the Rickshaw in Vancouver last week, and while that show was great, I'm looking forward to seeing them in a smaller setting at Funky's next month for maximum volume and saturation.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Often times I find that I really love bands mentioned in this thread after I have initially passed over for whatever reason. The latest addition to that list is Colour Haze...oh my god. I had no idea. I got hooked after listening "Transformation" from the new album. I've since been making it through their albums Periscope, All and Tempel. I'm really excited for the new album. The warm tones...I just want to snuggle up in there and delicately head bang. I love this thread.

I just listened to their self-titled because I knew I'd love it from how others described it. gently caress, it's awesome. I can sit here nodding my head to this for hours.

Yeah, I've read that their latest album moved away from their traditional heavy sound. More melodic. Interested in hearing it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I checked out a group called Snailking since they're obv named from Ufomammut, they have an EP out and it's pretty fantastic. They're like a doomy Red-era Baroness at times, so if you dig that.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
Just want to add that the new Colour Haze is hands down the best record I've heard this year and, to boot, they really take care of their fans. Stefan sent my gf a signed poster from loving Poland or somewhere, in an envelope he hand-made from printed out emails, while in the middle of a tour, in time for her to give it to me for my birthday.

I loving love that band.

edit:

Gushing Granny posted:

Yeah, I've read that their latest album moved away from their traditional heavy sound. More melodic. Interested in hearing it.

In a way, yes, but the record is plenty heavy and it's not a huge digression. This time around the sound is more layered with differing textures and more expansive as a result.

flamingdawg fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 30, 2012

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Holy poo poo, I just listened to Monoliths and Dimensions by Sunn O))) and the album did a complete 180 on me by the time I got to Alice. I've never listened to them before and assumed every song was going to sound like Aghartha (which is good anyway, don't get me wrong). I've definitely got to check out more by them.

flamingdawg, I got All by Colour Haze on now to see for myself. I see what you mean by it sounding more textured.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alice is one of my favourite songs ever. So, so good.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Alice is one of my favourite songs ever. So, so good.

It's the trumpet crescendo man, I swear.

I also checked out some of YOB's albums, both The Great Cessation and Atma. They're pretty great and I wish I could have seen them live from what the rest of you say about them. Adrift In The Ocean is by far my favourite song by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnijxVBQ1A4

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Gushing Granny posted:

It's the trumpet crescendo man, I swear.

I also checked out some of YOB's albums, both The Great Cessation and Atma. They're pretty great and I wish I could have seen them live from what the rest of you say about them. Adrift In The Ocean is by far my favourite song by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnijxVBQ1A4

I saw Yob and SunnO))) at Hellfest and it was amazing. I totally need to check out more of their stuff. Although it's quite different to the rest of their stuff (or so I gather), I really like the Sunn/Boris collab. Atma is a great album, Prepare the Ground sounded fantastic live, the crowd was just.... a moving sea of bodies. It wasn't really a pit, but there was a bit of a crush at the front. It was so heavy and weird and disorientating. SunnO))) live was more like a sensory experience, as opposed to witnessing a concert. The vibrations were shuddering straight through me, and when they stopped playing I felt genuinely exhausted. They have an incredible live presence.
Hellfest's doom stage this year was too good though. I am hoping for Sleep/High on Fire for the 2012 edition though. Really wish I hadn't missed Colour Haze now as well :(

(Hellfest was back in June but the posts about Yob and Sunn just reminded me how awesome they were, definitely stand out acts from that weekend)

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Sounds pretty awesome.

I checked out some Electric Wizard since it was in the OP. I think it strikes the right balance between doom and rock. Can't listen to them when I'm out though because my iPod headphones can't handle that much bass.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I started a new job a few weeks ago, and it's a long rear end commute on the bus to get to work. About an hour and a half each way. While the distance blows, it's given me a great chance to just put my headphones in and listen to music. I can listen to pretty much a full album each way.

I've been tearing through Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Isis, Ahab, Om, and YOB. I know they are very different bands, but they all share a similar massive, oppressive sound that I love. What other groups sound similar that I should look into?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Every single Intronaut album owns. Also Rosetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Ufomammut is the correct answer. Particularly their last three albums.