Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
You could try Kylesa, specifically Static Tensions and Spiral Shadow. I always go to Kylesa when I'm in a "sludge pop" fix and want more than just Torche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

nosophoros posted:

This song (and everything by Neurosis save for the one song Locust Star) pretty much encapsulates my dislike for anything neurot: it's all so pretentious beyond belief. Easy and fake depth everywhere.

I consider myself an Isis fan though, so maybe I've got no leg to stand on with the above opinion.

For content: Serpentine Path is great.

Kelly and Von Till's solo material is unbearably boring tripe and it's a shame to see it becoming such a strong influence for Neurosis.

Serpentine Path didn't grab me at all. Apparently the Unearthly Trance guys had exactly one good album in them (Electrocution) and are otherwise content with being completely unremarkable musicians

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

Serpentine Path didn't grab me at all. Apparently the Unearthly Trance guys had exactly one good album in them (Electrocution) and are otherwise content with being completely unremarkable musicians

I'll have to check that one out then, I've heard nothing of Unearthly Trance as of yet.

As for Serpentine Path, it's absolutely glacial the whole length through, but for me it never becomes boring (which could've easily been the case really). I have to commend the album for that.

EDIT: Goddamn Electrocution is GREAT.

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 6, 2012

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

So I've been listening to Torche--Meanderthal and I love it. "Sludge Pop" is the closest I can describe it, like a balls out Foo Fighters. Besides the new Baroness, are there any other bands out there that resemble Torche? They are almost a missing link between sludge and more guitar oriented indie rock.

Just get all the Torche you can. I've been listening to them constantly since Harmonicraft came out, particularly that album and the Songs for Singles EP, I can't get enough. Harmonicraft is probably my favourite new album of this year.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

nosophoros posted:

This song (and everything by Neurosis save for the one song Locust Star) pretty much encapsulates my dislike for anything neurot: it's all so pretentious beyond belief. Easy and fake depth everywhere.

I don't really agree with that on the music, but I will give you that Scott Kelly's blog is horrifically pretentious (and silly):

Scott Kelly posted:

I try not to let it get to me.

But it is always there.
In the shadows.
Within each footstep.
From the bottom of each breath.
I gave up trying to control it a long time ago.
I know that the only way to it, is through it.
The only thing I fear in life is time, because time brings me closer and keeps me father away from it.
The only thing I know for sure is that I know nothing at all.

Good lord.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So Boris' next album is a tribute to My Bloody Valentine entitled Yellow Loveless :stare:

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So Boris' next album is a tribute to My Bloody Valentine entitled Yellow Loveless :stare:

Holy gently caress I want to hear this.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Velocirocktor posted:

You could try Kylesa, specifically Static Tensions and Spiral Shadow. I always go to Kylesa when I'm in a "sludge pop" fix and want more than just Torche.

Yeah already have a few Kylesa albums after digging Baroness and was pointed their way. Hope someone else picks them up though because Kylesa rules.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

rxcowboy posted:

So I've been listening to Torche--Meanderthal and I love it. "Sludge Pop" is the closest I can describe it, like a balls out Foo Fighters. Besides the new Baroness, are there any other bands out there that resemble Torche? They are almost a missing link between sludge and more guitar oriented indie rock.

White Orange and Black Pussy.

Also, I know I'm setting myself up for potential immolation here, but there's no Soundgarden thread and I'm not about to start one. Their new album is streaming for free on iTunes, and... It kicks rear end. Just throwing that out there.

Edit: White Orange being one band, Black Pussy being the other band. Not one band called "White Orange and Black Pussy," although the suggestive imagery is captivating to think about and they do share members.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 6, 2012

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

4th of July is actually a pretty cool doom song.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

rxcowboy posted:

There aren't really other bands that have the same feel, but you should give Floor a listen. Several of the members went on to form Torche. It's a little more focused on the heavy than it is on the fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH5yH03Tlp4

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Graveyard album, Lights Out, rawks out! It's more of the same, but oh so good psychedelic swedish rock. I'd like to see these guys do a US tour with Witchcraft (again?).

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
QOTSA just posted a new picture on Facebook.

According to an insider on the rekrek forum about a week ago, he mentioned that Joey Castillo might be doing other things now. Looks like it was true.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As much as I love Them Crooked Vultures, I'm glad Dave's hiatus from The Foo Fighters is resulting in new QOTSA.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress YES!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Another.

TRIZ? As in Troy? Or did Izzy Stradlin join the group too?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Cheesus posted:

As much as I love Them Crooked Vultures, I'm glad Dave's hiatus from The Foo Fighters is resulting in new QOTSA.

I didn't know this until now. I felt it move a little

Now get Nick back too, even if he is a complete scumbag

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

nuncle jimbo posted:

Now get Nick back too, even if he is a complete scumbag

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Yeah, whether or not Nick sucks, Josh Homme is every bit as much of an rear end in a top hat...

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

There are no confirmed reports of Josh beating on his girlfriends though

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Nope, Josh Homme keeps the brawls in the bars where they belong.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Say what you will about Josh Homme being an rear end in a top hat, he's never taken anyone hostage and had a drugged fueled stand off with the SWAT.

I heard Alain Johannes might be involved with the new QOTSA, has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah, whether or not Nick sucks, Josh Homme is every bit as much of an rear end in a top hat...

Are you referring to the whole Kyuss Lives! thing? Because he's pretty much in the right on that one as far as I can see.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

Also, I know I'm setting myself up for potential immolation here, but there's no Soundgarden thread and I'm not about to start one. Their new album is streaming for free on iTunes, and... It kicks rear end. Just throwing that out there.

Why no thread?

Soundgarden was always my favorite of the '90's bands, and this album is loving great.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Probably a late response, but they're only doing one song, Sometimes, not the whole album. That's one of the best on the album though, so it's still good.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Doomy posted:

Say what you will about Josh Homme being an rear end in a top hat, he's never taken anyone hostage and had a drugged fueled stand off with the SWAT.

Drug fueled stand-offs are awesome. They should bring the awesome guy back.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ordinaire posted:

Probably a late response, but they're only doing one song, Sometimes, not the whole album. That's one of the best on the album though, so it's still good.

Aww man. Meh, still cool.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

haggis56 posted:

Why no thread?

Soundgarden was always my favorite of the '90's bands, and this album is loving great.

I've always been a big Soundgarden fan as well, and I think it's definitely pretty good. Wish it had more experimentation, which Badmotorfinger-Superunknown-Down on the Upside had in bunches, but I can't blame them for keeping things fairly more basic when it comes to a long-awaited comeback album.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Am I doing something wrong? Because the new Soundgarden album is beige as gently caress.

It doesn't have the enormous riffs of Louder than love or Badmotorfinger, and it doesn't have the experimentation of Superunknown or Down on the upside, it's just fifty one minutes of boring rock music.

They sounded horrible when I saw them play earlier this year: Chris' voice was shot, the guitars were out of tune, and seeing that, and hearing this album are just a pretty disappointing effort at a comeback from one of my favourite bands during the '90s.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 9, 2012

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Chalupa Joe posted:

Am I doing something wrong? Because the new Soundgarden album is beige as gently caress.

I'm with this. I grew up on Badmotorfinger and Fopp, this new poo poo sucks. However, I like Steve Von Till's solo stuff, and that's not a tremendously popular opinion in this thread either, so :shrug:

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe

Chalupa Joe posted:

They sounded horrible when I saw them play earlier this year: Chris' voice was shot, the guitars were out of tune, and seeing that, and hearing this album are just a pretty disappointing effort at a comeback from one of my favourite bands during the '90s.

I'll give you this; even in their heyday, Soundgarden live was always a roll of the dice. I think a voice like Cornell's only works sometimes. I wonder how many takes it took to get his trademark shrieks this time around.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Chalupa Joe posted:

It doesn't have the enormous riffs of Louder than love or Badmotorfinger, and it doesn't have the experimentation of Superunknown or Down on the upside, it's just fifty one minutes of boring rock music.

That kickoff single is atrocious, but I'm about 5 songs in and the album has had a few decent moments. Cornell is the weakest link in the chain by leaps and bounds; his voice just isn't there any more and anytime the music veers exceptionally poppy or bland, I'm inclined to blame him, given his Audioslave & solo output.

EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon, this album fell off a cliff right after "Blood on the Valley Floor".

blue.eyed.ash fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 9, 2012

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Well they all can't be the holy trinity of awesomeness of their previous three albums but I think King Animal is pretty good. I was almost equally split between "meh" to "rocks" for most of it, but closing it with Rowing pushed it into "solid" territory for me.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

As long as it's somewhere between gloomy and angry and has a few massive solos from Thayil I can't see a problem.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Seeing as Soundgarden is only tangentially related to this thread I'll just chime in to say something completely unrelated about the new Graveyard album Lights Out in that it is better than Hisingen Blues after a couple of listens.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I am comfortable with saying that Panopticon is the best Isis album.

My rankings:

Panopticon
Oceanic
Wavering Radiant
In the Absence of Truth
Celestial

Don't get me wrong, I love them all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Put the mosquito control EP after Oceanic.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

nosophoros posted:

Seeing as Soundgarden is only tangentially related to this thread I'll just chime in to say something completely unrelated about the new Graveyard album Lights Out in that it is better than Hisingen Blues after a couple of listens.

It seems some people are disappointed, because it's a tiny bit less rocking than the previous albums. For now I think : best album = first one and this after Hisingen, but it's definitely not bad in any sense, I still like it, just not as much the other two.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I am comfortable with saying that Panopticon is the best Isis album.

My rankings:

Panopticon
Oceanic
Wavering Radiant
In the Absence of Truth
Celestial

Don't get me wrong, I love them all.

Panopticon for sure.

Thread title relevant - I've listened to that Bongripper album so many times over the last month it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm really worried they peaked with SWD, it's going to be very tough to top that with whatever LP they come out with next. I'll be glad when I'm proven wrong though.