Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Earth is coming to town tomorrow, would it be worth it to go if I'm not too terribly familiar with their discog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

well that settles that

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Regarding the Earth show:

At some point during the show, I became so heavy that my feet became rooted in the ground and turned into a mighty tree. Years passed as the sun and the rain pressed against my trunk. I watched as small animals built nests in my branches and young lovers sat at my base. The ages passed until I was hewn and cut up to fashion the hull of an exploring ship. Bright eyed voyagers sailed me to parts unknown until a storm took us all to the bottom of the sea, where I became a temporary home for other types of small animals until I finally wasted away.

so it was pretty good

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Crackerman posted:

Neil says some stuff about Black Sabbath at the end involving Rick Rubin and "new material" that is pretty interesting considering this countdown and the recent rumours that were stirred up about another reunion (although Iommi staunchly denied it.)

Well I guess everyone knows by now (and it probably might merit its own thread in the near future when more details emerge) but if you take a look at blacksabbath.com and black-sabbath.com it looks like a 2012 reunion/record/tour is imminent. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't totally eager to here a new Sabbath record, even though the two new songs on the Reunion record weren't that great. Surely they can at the very least top Never Say Die?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dopesmoker vinyl (and shirt) (and poster) please get here soon :ohdear:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Asnorban posted:

Excellent. Really hoping to get mine by this weekend.

My records/posters/shirt came in today. And also a catalog for packing/shipping supplies addressed to a totally different street. I blame the mailman's contact high

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

Should I just go balls out and buy Dopesmoker, and be evicted from my apartment two weeks later due to playing it non stop?

Yes, this is worth it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Diseased Yak posted:

After that we had Weedeater, who were solid as gently caress. The lead singer dude, known for vomiting on stage (he did not disappoint in this), was like a manic preacher, jumping around, very animated, very awesome. I've loved Weedeater for years and it was awesome hearing such tracks as "God Luck, Good Speed".

Weedeater was followed by the veterans, Saint Vitus. They tore it UP! Very loving loud, very loving amazing. They engaged the crowd pretty well. The highlight was probably their drummer, who was determined to put someone's eye out by constantly throwing his drumsticks into the crowd at high velocity.

Here to confirm all of the above for last night in Nashville, except Dixie didn't puke. We had Loss and Sourvein before these two with Vitus headlining. Dave is something beyond human, he's really just a force of nature. Played the first song on his knees when his strap broke. Played the rest of the set strapped and sounding out notes by kneeing the back of his bass. A Squier bass, a stack of Sunn and plywood cabs, and a bottle of Bean.

In short, never not see Weedeater.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Went to a show last night that I will never forget. OM loving killed it. Al is an amazing musician and Rob A.A. Lowe fit so well into the dynamic. There was a part where Emil left the stage and Rob and Al did a super slowed and stripped down version of Bhima's Theme (I think) with vocal embellishments by Rob for like 20 minutes before Emil came back. It was AWESOME.

Also at that show was hometown heroes Across Tundras who are a doomy/psych/Earth-esque western band. Mikey and Joey from Hellbender just joined them. They were fantastic.

Also, protip: Do not try to do a light show during OM. Al gets PISSED.

Whatup, I was there too, maybe I met you. Missed Across Tundras which is such a bummer because I've known the Hellbender guys for years and haven't caught a show in awhile. While I'm on the subject, if you are into really psyched-out doom, check out Hellbender's page for some free tracks. Cosmolux and Occult 45 are choice picks.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

casual poster posted:

I thought Volume 4 was their best stoner/doom record?? I've always had a 'thing' against Ozzy for some reason, but listening to volume 4 recently really left an impression on me. I guess I'll have to try those 2 you mentioned.

Vol 4 is a classic overindulgent 70s coke album, I think Master of Reality seems more like their sludgiest/stonedest one. Has some heavy guitar tones though (Supernaut).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nativity In Black posted:

I always look at the songs like Snowblind and Cornucopia as the beginnings of doom. For poo poo that came out in '72 this is heavy as all loving get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1omGSmrFA

Also I don't like Queens of the Stone Age but I'm not generally a fan of straight stoner rock/metal. I don't like Kyuss either.

(I fully understand the irony of saying that directly after posting a Sabbath song, but Sabbath gets a pass from me for being, y'know, gods.)

Speaking of Sabbath, looks like they are planning to tour this coming year. I saw the original four in 2005 and they were great, so I guess I'm more curious about the record. Curious is definitely the word, I'm not expecting Sabotage II or anything.

e: I'd take it though

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The 2LP (Satan Worshipping Doom Set)

:stare: The what

e: ahh gotcha, I thought maybe they were doing some sort of rerelease of the record + the live version or something

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 2, 2013

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Crackerman posted:

So I'm not the only one who likes Sabbath's new album? The mastering leaves me wanting, but it's nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic, and that's some pretty good poo poo for 65-odd year old men who basically birthed a genre. Zeitgeist and Damaged Soul are standouts, but there really isn't a track on there that I feel like skipping, and I keep wanting to listen to it.

It's no Sabotage, but if it ends up being their final album then I'm pretty happy.

It was surprisingly solid, and Damaged Soul was straight up Goatsnake. :stare: But yeah, it's definitely a step up from Forbidden. Not that Forbidden is something aspire to

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

landofcake posted:

Possibly in the wrong thread, but figured you might enjoy it (plus this is the only thread I really follow in NMD) ... and apologies for the crappy phone pictures, but ...

It's a beautiful thing ...

:2bong:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Weedeater in Nashville (second time in less a year I think) tonight. Majorly stoked

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

seatbeltstrap posted:

Anybody else going to see St. Vitus at the Orange Peel in Asheville tomorrow night? It's the first show I've been to since I moved from PA two months ago, I'm stoked.

I caught them at a 50 person show in Albany a week ago and they ruled. Saw them in Nashville a year ago playing to a much larger crowd and they also ruled. My point here is Saint Vitus rules.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

How have I been sleeping on Sweeden for so long?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Doom/stoner shows are the best because most of the peacocking and teenagers and drama are absent (or way muted). It's just a bunch of 20-somethings and up working on their beards, beers, and beer guts talking about which combinations of Sleep/High On Fire/Om they've seen recently and which were loudest. By and far away the best genre for live shows.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Check out The Christpunchers. Dumb name but good doom/stoner. Reminds me of Bongripper

Juaguocio posted:

Best album from a band with Bong in its name, by the way.

Quantum this is a safe place for dumb rad band names.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In theory this rules, in reality, this loving slays. Everyone that reads this thread needs to grab this (free) download.

edit: The Haunting is just the outro to Children of the Grave, I think in most cases it's just not labeled as a separate thing. Spooky Iommi feedback and some delayed whispers of "children of the grave". Bongripper kind of expanded on it in the vein of like the interludes on Hate Ashbury

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 8, 2014

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Feel like I read an Iommi interview years ago that they used those intro/outro titles (Luke's Wall, Jack the Stripper, Death Mask) just to pad out the tracklists.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Red Fang ruled tonight, I missed Big Business though.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ghost Farts posted:

They're surprisingly tight for a group of total drunks. They don't have some super intense or scary stage presence, but they definitely know how to pace their set and get the crowd moving.
Basically, if you are into drinking beer, having a good time and fuzzed out riffs, Red Fang shows pretty much fit the bill.

Yeah everything I would have said about the show has been said. Get some junky solid state Sunns, some beers, and slam out some riffs. They are surprisingly tight live for sure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This brass-heavy Sabbath covers album just popped up on NPR. Some of the reworkings are pretty cool.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone catching EHG in DC tonight?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Today's a holiday now

e: I'm choosing to imagine this as the soundtrack to the Dopesmoker caravan finally making contact with civilization after 20 years of being lost and stoned in the desert.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 18, 2014

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TheQat posted:

One of the best things about Boris shows is that Atsuo is metal's only hype man.

re: that setlist above, for people who have seen them on this tour or don't mind being spoiled vomitself was in my top 5 moments at a concert. i was so sad when it ended, but so happy to have been there. SO LOUD

A few pics from the DC show:

http://imgur.com/SmXiVQp
http://imgur.com/vyiYEPn
http://imgur.com/A6hVDxz (the setlist for those who don't want to know)

First time seeing them and I actually excepted them to be much louder. Amazing show either way.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

New Earth slays. Glad they are coming around this month, I caught them for the first time in between the Angels albums and they were better than expected (I expected them to rule).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I will see you there

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

nerve posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: God Luck and Goon Speed

Or Stoner/sludge/doom: Log in, tune down, geek out

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

respect st. vitus

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

First four are gospel, first six are amazing. If you aren't about A National Acrobat and Hole in the Sky nothing can help you.

"You Won't Change Me" off TechEc is severely underrated.

And it's mostly out of the borders of this thread but Born Again is cool.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like the first EHG best

Nativity In Black posted:

I spent an entire summer in college once listening to basically nothing but Black Sabbath's first four records.

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: I spent an entire life once listening to basically nothing but Black Sabbath's first four records.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Got tickets for the Wiz in Baltimore. Week before is Swans in the same spot so I'm quite a happy boy.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Walk into a random bar and Lo-Pan is halfway through their set. Awesome but a bummer that I didn't know

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

See you at MDF (Thursday, Ram's Head).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cvlt Nation's full album revolving band covers of Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Holy Mountain are fun.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Electric Wizard have a throwaway track subtitled "Live at California Jam 1974" and I always thought that was the nerdiest Sabbath nod from a band built around them.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Was lucky enough to see the original four in 2005, will try as hard as possible to see them again. It's like the doom hajj.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Woah Goatsnake in DC in a few weeks. Caught me totally off guard, I know a few DMV people post in here so heads up.