Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Thalamus posted:

Does anyone own/has listened to Causa Sui's Summer Sessions?

I listened to Summer Sessions 1 this week while walking home from school and really enjoyed it. I'd have probably given the band a stronger listen if I hadn't then discovered why everyone is praising Eve so much. Because drat. That is one heck of an album.

Can't watch uTubs at work but "Swedish bluesy stoner group" makes me think of Kamchatka and you'd better believe I'm going to look into anything that makes me think of Kamchatka. They're maybe right on the edge of the thread, but not out of place here. They've got a new one coming out next month, looking forward to that.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

cheap sunglasses posted:

If you like them, you'll probably also dig Wolfmother, The Vines, and Jet.

Oof, that is harsh. They do sound more like that wave of store brand 70s rock than I was expecting, though.

Going back through the thread a bit someone posted Sgt. Sunshine which reminded me I wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for stuff in the vein of Earthless. Up-tempo with a thick, heavy groove. A lot of bands that are recommended on Lastfm like Colour Haze and Causa Sui are pretty great bands but they don't quite scratch the same itch.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

Try Tia Carrera- they're an all-instrumental jam band very much in the Earthless vein. Their new release "Cosmic Priestess" is pretty dope.

These guys are tight as hell, thanks for the tip. Exactly what I was looking for.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I haven't heard the new Red Fang yet but is it as enjoyable as Prehistoric Dog? Their first album wasn't bad but nothing was as good as that first track and I was disappointed with it.

Anyway I've been listening to a lot of Causa Sui's Summer Sessions since they were posted about back a little bit ago and goddamn if I'm not loving the saxaphone on Volumes 2 and 3. What a great addition to that sound.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

People in this thread like bands right?

quote:

9/6/2011 Kings Barcade – Raleigh, NC
9/7/2011 Sonar – Baltimore, MD
9/8/2011 Strange Matter – Richmond, VA
9/9/2011 North Star Bar – Philadelphia, PA (no Saviours)
9/10/2011 Europa – Brooklyn, NY w/ Oxbow (no Saviours)
9/11/2011 Middle East Downstairs – Cambridge, MA
9/13/2011 Lee’s Place – Toronto, ON
9/14/2011 Montage Music Hall – Rochester, NY
9/15/2011 Outland Live – Columbus, OH
9/16/2011 The Pyramid Scheme – Grand Rapids, MI
9/17/2011 Reggie’s Rock Club – Chicago, IL
9/18/2011 Upfront & Company – Marquette, MI
9/19/2011 Triple Rock Social Club – Minneapolis, MN
9/20/2011 Rock Island Brewing Company – Rock Island, IL
9/23/2011 Larimer Lounge – Denver, CO
9/24/2011 Burt’s Tiki Lounge – Salt Lake City, UT
9/26/2011 The Highline – Seattle, WA
9/27/2011 Rickshaw Theatre – Vancouver, BC
9/28/2011 Branx – Portland, OR
9/29/2011 The Independent – San Francisco, CA
10/1/2011 Soda Bar – San Diego, CA
10/2/2011 Key Club – West Hollywood, CA
10/4/2011 Lanchpad – Albuquerque, NM
10/6/2011 Emo’s – Austin, TX
10/7/2011 Fitzgerald’s – Houston, TX
10/8/2011 Siberia – New Orleans, LA
10/9/2011 The Earl – Atlanta, GA
10/10/2011 New Earth Music Hall – Athens, GA
10/11/2011 Engine Room – Tallahassee, FL
10/12/2011 The Orpheum – Tampa, FL
10/14/2011 The Jinx – Savannah, GA

Gonna have to hit up the Toronto show I think.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Like I said in the metal thread, I think it's a really fun record. I've listened to it a couple more times and I like it more each time. I remember reading an interview with Brann Dailor (I think) where he said they wanted to make an album that people would want to party and dance naked and stuff to. I can definitely hear that intention, though I don't know if I'd ever expect to hear it at a party or anything. But I don't get invited to parties so who knows.

I agree that Creature Lives is great. It's so out of left field for them and even for the album itself but I think it works really well. I'm already a nerd for Mastodon anyway but I'm still pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying this album. After Opeth and Dream Theater disappointed, this is nice.

edit: also I meant to say earlier but I went to the Weedeater/Saviours/Bison BC show in Toronto last week and gently caress me if Weedeater aren't heavy as hell live. And intense, too. The frontman looked like he'd just as soon eat your throat as play another song. Goddamn, it was ridiculous. And Bison (the band I went to the show for) loving slayed as well. So much energy, really got the crowd going. Saviours was kind of boring by comparison. They weren't terrible, but largely stationary noodling was a poor choice to follow up a band like Bison.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 22, 2011

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

llama_arse posted:

Would a show featuring Weedeater, Saviours and Fight Amp be worth seeing? I saw Saviours at Ozzfest last year and thought they were good, if not exceptional, but I know little about the other two.

Yeah, go. I was pretty much unfamiliar with Weedeater when I went and it was a blast. Is Bison BC not playing at the show you're considering? They're on that tour and they kill it live.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I love Kamchatka, Thomas is one of my absolute favourite guitar players and he's a really nice guy too. I think their new album is the weakest of the four, unfortunately, but it's still got some stellar tracks.

Really looking forward to the new Earth, I completely forgot that the last one was a Part 1.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Gonna keep the recommendation train rolling with Tia Carrera, which was recommended to me earlier in the thread when I was looking for something similar to Earthless, and maybe Sungrazer as well.

Also want to thank m-o-o-n for posting Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound. Great band.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

"As good" will be a matter of opinion given the stark differences in sound but Earth has been pretty drat incredible since Dylan Carlson got clean.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I'm with the majority in here and loving the new Baroness stuff so far. It's real easy to see where people would be turned off by it if they were fans of anything the band has done before, especially Red and the EPs, but I loved Take My Bones Away and March to the Sea is just so good. That chorus is killer. I can't wait for this album.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Getting a bit off centre with this one but a few tracks by Murder By Death might fit what you need? I'm thinking songs like White Noise or Dynamite Mine

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I'd be cool with that setlist but I dig their pop albums. I mean, I'd prefer to see them play all of Amplifier Worship or something like that but I could enjoy myself at that show.

nomapple posted:

BARONESS- EULA REAL STREAM NOW.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oh what a shocker, this song is great, too. All the songs they've revealed so far have been from Yellow, right? I'm really curious to hear what Green sounds like, especially with the "pastoral art rock" descriptor on that spin.com link. 3 weeks to go.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I was kind of underwhelmed the first time I listened to it, but then I listened to it like ten times in a row and I just keep listening to it. I've been sucked into a swampy groove, man. I think I might be incapable of not enjoying Clutch.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I've got the chance to do an interview of sorts with Ufomammut. It's just an e-mail interview, but hey. If anyone has any questions they'd like me to include, feel free to fire them my way.

And yeah, Opus Alter is loving killer. ORO is about as amazing as those Sleep pictures are hilarious (i.e. all-encompassingly).

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

I caught the tour kickoff show last weekend, and it was a whole lotta sludge in a tiny little room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VMSMhlCxg

Man I love watching Matt Wood play drums

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Thalamus posted:

Good news from Colour Haze!

Awesome. Colour Haze has been pretty heavy in my rotation lately after forgetting about them for a bit, looking forward to hearing this.

In further New Stuff News, who wants to hear some new Bison BC?

The answer is me. So here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2GC3oh1h1s

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Ufomammut is the correct answer. Particularly their last three albums.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Yeah Valley of Smoke is real good. I think I still prefer Prehistoricisms, but Valley of Smoke is solid all the way through.

Speaking of real good, I just got through a couple listens of the promo for the new Bison BC record Lovelessness. It's a way bigger sound for them, bleak and angry as hell and it loving slays.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

ethan posted:

Lucky bastard. How'd you manage that? The 2 or 3 songs they've released so far are awesome as hell. I knew something great was going to happen when they mentioned working with Sanford Parker.

I write for a friend's tiny website that is in a lot of press pools so we get some cool promos now and then. I've listened to it a few more times since I posted and it's just getting better.

Jesus Christ. We're probably going to be getting some pretty intense songs out of that. They're lucky to be alive. Credit to whoever designed the bus. Unless he did the brakes too.

Were there any updates on the crew and driver lately? I've heard updates about the band but I remember reading that one of the other people on the bus had sustained "life-changing injuries" or something like that. I'm guessing the driver since they said he had to be air lifted to another hospital.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

There are a couple tracks up on YouTube from a recent show in Springfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpdQyFPUtHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYR0PvDnOqw

Really liking Rush The Face, both in title and in sound. I guess it'll be one of the slower tracks on the record though, because it certainly doesn't sound like the fastest or heaviest Clutch material I've ever heard.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Can anyone recommend some really dirty stuff along the lines of Boris' Pink and Greenmachine's Archive of Rotten Blues? I've really been enjoying the messiness of the riffs on these albums.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Thalamus posted:

Check out Sonic Flower if you don't already know them, basically Church of Misery without a vocalist. They only put out one short album though unfortunately.

This rules, thanks. Don't know why I didn't think to look for anything related to bands like Church of Misery, I had no idea they had a side project.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

You could try Kylesa, specifically Static Tensions and Spiral Shadow. I always go to Kylesa when I'm in a "sludge pop" fix and want more than just Torche.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

nomapple posted:

Gonna throw in a recommendation for Amenra. I hear good things about their new album, Mass V, and they were intense as hell when I saw them live.

Mass V is loving killer. It's a bleak record but drat is it good.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

seafood28 posted:

Clutch have released the title track from their new album "Earth Rocker". I'm loving it, it rips pretty hard.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/01/an_interview_wi_80.html

My favourite part is when Neil goes "BLUUUUAUARHAAARARAGH"

Honestly I think I have like a chronic inability to dislike Clutch.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I've only listened to the singles they've streamed so far, as well as DC Sound Attack because I couldn't resist with how much I loved the sound of the 30 second sample on Amazon, and I dig it all so far. Clutch is one of those bands that just has some power over me. I recognize the complaints and even share some of them, but even in the face of whatever problems exist their music gets under my skin and I can't help but jam to it. My love for the band is so unconditional it borders on motherly.

Anyway has anyone heard Stonehenge's album Bunch of Bisons? A friend linked it on Facebook maybe a month or so ago and I've been rocking it almost nonstop since. Really groovy psychedelic stoner stuff, like a harder driving Colour Haze almost. Dripping with lush organ, great riffing and a funky rhythm section. Really, really good.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2013

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Saw Bison BC in Ottawa last night, it was loving great. Glad the turnout was as good as it was since The Casualties were playing downstairs. They basically played all of Lovelessness, minus An Old Friend, as well as the brilliantly titled Stressed Elephant, Wendigo pt. 1 and These Are My Dress Clothes, which is always a crowd pleaser.

Anyway, a local band called Swarm of Spheres was one of the openers, I thought they were pretty good and some people in this thread might like them. Their live sound is so heavy they caused the ceiling to leak. Their album is available for name your price on their bandcamp.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

In addition to the above bands, if you haven't heard Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, I'd check them out.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Nooooooo the Toronto show is too early for me to see it when I go back home for the weekend, and then I'll be back in Hamilton when they're here in Ottawa. What a rollercoaster of emotions I just went through when I saw they were playing a block away from my apartment.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

No band is happier to be on stage than Baroness is. Their energy is infectious, they play exceedingly well, and a lot of the songs you may not be keen on from Yellow & Green have way more power live. They've reworked Foolsong a little bit, for example, and it sounds wonderful. It just feels... I don't know, denser. If you skip the show, the other things you have to do had better be pretty drat important.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

This is from a few pages back and I got some good suggestions, but I found a band that completely scratches this itch for me:

Year of No Light

Pretty much exactly what I wanted. No vocals on this album, but their older stuff does which is also very good.

I am really digging this, thanks for posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

On that note, I can't wait to see Boris with Subrosa and The Atlas Moth in a couple weeks :hellyeah:

Holy poo poo, THAT's who's opening on this tour? I didn't think I could be more excited.