Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
So I guess both Sleep and YOB are playing shows within the next few months (@ Terminal 5 and le poisson rouge respectively I believe) along with the already mentioned Kyuss Lives! and The Sword. It's a good time to like stoner and doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Fruitcake posted:

Sleep's playing tonight at Terminal 5 in New York City, anyone else going? I'm driving all the way from MA, it's gonna rule and its my birthday. :whatup:

Also I checked the website and they still have tickets for sale.

I'll be there too, coming from CT - seems like the kind of thing that could be a perfect birthday show, I hope you have fun!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Was anyone at YOB at le Poisson Rouge last night? It was my first time seeing them live, and they played every song I was hoping for, including Prepare the Ground and a Grasping Air duet with the lady from Dark Castle. It was so drat amazing, and afterwards I got to hug Mike and thank him for being so awesome. He even asked my name and introduced himself :3:. Definitely one of the friendliest and most personable artists I've met, it's worth talking to him after the show.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

QPZIL posted:

gently caress I CAN'T WAIT

The setlist at Tuesday's show was something like this:

Quantum Mystic
Prepare the Ground
Burning the Altar
?? (Probably Ether, now that I think about it)
The Great Cessation
Grasping Air

I didn't recognize the middle song and there might have been one more in there. It was awesome and I hope you have fun at your show.

E: Just remembered what the "??" one was.

Oh, and they were using Dark Castle's drummer - I don't know if that's a permanent thing now or what.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Oh you have to be kidding me. If this cancels my Kyuss/The Sword show (or has Kyuss pull out) I'm gonna be pissed. I've already had 2 shows hosed recently (Mogwai being unable to get visas and Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza pulling out of their tour) so this'll be just my luck.

Also what a tool.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

I'm gonna disagree with the post-panopticon hate. I think Oceanic is still their best, but Wavering Radiant really struck a chord with me. It's definitely more Tool-like in the way they handled ambience and structure, but I don't see that as a bad thing. The songs (ghost key is a good example) have some fantastic dynamics, and it was amazing to see live. I caught them on their third? to last show ever, and while it was more of a "greatest hits" than I would've liked, something can be said for the way the newer songs translated.

Also keep in mind they broke up because they'd felt the idea had run it's course. Wavering Radiant is a pretty good "farewell" IMO. It's also neat to listen to Red Sea/The Mosquito Control EPs to see how far the band came, while still keeping certain elements consistent.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I just found out that YOB song at the show I couldn't identify was the title track ATMA, not ether. So yeah, anyone still waiting for a show will probably get 2 new songs.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

QPZIL posted:

They're selling it on tour too. Just the CD though, not the LP :(

Wait really? I didn't notice it at the Le Poisson Rouge show, but I wasn't really looking at the CDs either. drat, guess I'll have to wait a while then.

E:\/\/\/ ffffuuuuck. I'm kicking myself for totally missing that. I could barely hear what Mike was saying thanks to that stupid cellphone interference his amps were picking up, and I guess I missed the most important thing :-(

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

Standard A, I believe. Even though he's using baritone strings, you can hear them "flop" quite a bit on their older stuff when he was still using a Les Paul.

I've been covering a bunch of YOB lately and i've found using a 7-string works okay. You can always tune the guitar down a whole step to match his (I always thought he used a drop-a, but it could be standard a). He uses 2 non master volume Marshalls, right? They had no logo I could see at the show, but they looked like older Marshalls.

E: anyone who has the new album (non-leak cd version): does it have no high end like the Prepare The Ground 'exclusive'? I assumed that was some sort of anti-piracy measure, but I want to know for sure. I like the song itself, but the recording sounds terrible, and knowing YOBs previous releases I'd hope it's not the final version.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 21, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Cold Day posted:

I can't listen to Atma with that production. 20seconds in and any trace of power is widdled down.

Okay, so it's not just me. I'm pretty disappointed, since the songs themselves are great. I have no idea why they decided to keep the guitar tracks panned slightly off-center instead of hard left and right, and they also needed a boost in the highs to allow some clarity to come through. The drums have a decent sound, and the vocals are alright (though a little too gainy at some points), but all that is negated with the guitars sitting where there should be emptiness for vocals/snare.

For the goons currently recording doom: you'll often have each instrument fighting for space thanks to lower tunings/fuzz pedals and the like, so you want to pay close attention to the stereo spread and good EQ. make a slight dip in the low mids in the GT tracks, and boost a little around 3k. Use that low-mid space for the snare and lower vox, and keep cymbals+higher vox away from the 3k boost.
The tracks may sound weird solo'd, but they'll fit better in the mix.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

There was a mention of Agile guitars: They make a decent amount of extended-scale guitars, so if you want to do low tunings (Drop-A is good :-)) I'd recommend getting a 27" scale. They actually had a decent looking Les Paul clone with 27" but I couldn't find it again so it might be out of stock. Agiles span the range from cheap ($299 or so) to midrange ($1200), and also offer semi-custom instruments like once a year. I got my 8-string 27" guitar from them and I love it.

E: Scale length refers to the distance from the nut (the little piece of bone/plastic with slots for the string at tue top of the fretboard, by the headstock) to the bridge. Most guitars are 24.75" to 25.5", which is okay for standard tuning but means strings get floppy when you use lower tunings, and you need to use thick strings. An extended scale (26.5" to 30" and above) will handle lower tunings much better, and allow you to use thinner strings if you desire. A longer scale does mean the space between frets is bigger, so it may be uncomfortable at first, coming from a standard scale. Something like 27" is manageable, but jumping straight to 30" (which is also the length of short-scale basses) can be near-impossible.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 17, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

bass questions

Bass is a little more price-friendly in the sense that you can get a great sound going direct, and can sweeten the sound using a Bass POD or GT8-B. What most bands do (though it's not as common in sludge) is have a DI track with the high-end filtered out and use an amp or POD with some distortion for the crunchy midrange. That's how some bands have a really thick low-end while also having the bass compliment the guitar tracks.

Another trick if you're in a one guitar, one bass band is having a DI track panned center and a high-gain track panned either hard left or right. This gives the effect of a dual guitar (i.e. Double-tracked) sound with only 2 string musicians. Rage Against the Machine did this a lot, and I've heard it on some sludge albums recently.

If you do go for a regular amp I've heard older SWRs are good, and GK makes a decent head iirc. You want some sort of range with cabinets; in my old band I used a Mesa 1x15/4x8, with a cheap Hartke 4x10 if I needed more volume.

Bass wise you don't need anything fancy; a Fender P or J bass will work fine. If you do want to splurge though, a Warwick Thumb or Corvette are pretty much the best. They have a wonderful natural crunch, with a unique midrange that helps it stand out without muddying the guitar. I had a Thumb for many years and used it on a few albums/live and never had a single issue with fitting in the mix.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Did anyone see Wolves in the Throne Room and Thou last night in Brookyn? I had a ticket but ended up getting a wisdom tooth pulled that afternoon, so I had to miss the show :(. I'm pretty bummed, hopefully it rocked for those who went.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

It was incredible. Krallice opened (meh), Thou were absolutely monstrous and closed their set with probably the best rendition of "Into The Void" I've heard since the original, and Wolves were nothing short of phenomenal. I was really pleased that the sound at the Bell House was good, because I saw them at Europa last year and it was brickwalled to poo poo.

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it kicked rear end! I was mainly going for Thou but got into WitTR after I got the ticket (and I think they rock btw) so hopefully I'll catch them soon.

I'm also trying to track down another NYC/CT doom or sludge show for Nov. to make up for missing this, what are some good sites that keep track?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Mastodon, Red Fang And Dillinger Escape Plan @ Terminal 5 on Saturday, November 19th! Tickets go on sale this Friday - guess I found my November show.

E:vvv Thanks, I'll do that. Probably would've forgotten and ended up half-deaf like after Sleep.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 14, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Heatmonger posted:

FYI you can get tickets NOW here: http://mastodon.artistarena.com/

Username: mastodon
PW: tickets

and "For every 2 tickets you purchase, you will receive one free download of Mastodon's new album "THE HUNTER"."

Dude, you loving rock! This saves me from having to buy while at work.

Not really Doom related, but The Ocean Collective is touring with Devin Townsend, and there's a NY show at the Chance (mid-Oct.). Should be awesome.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Metanaut posted:

Finally gave Yob's Atma a spin and maybe I'm a tone deaf brute, but I don't understand why some complain about the sound quality.

It's not the sound quality, more the way it's mixed. It's a very mono-centric mix, with the guitar spread at somewhere like 15-20% L/R, vocals centered, bass centered, kick centered, and only the occasional toms and cymbals using the rest of the spread. That combined with the guitar tone (very mid-heavy, no bass, no 3k+ highs) occupying some of the traditional vocal space, and the vocals pushed even higher (why they sound so cutting) makes ATMA sound nothing like YOB's previous albums.

It's a much harsher sound overall, and not in the way people were expecting. From what I've heard Mike say, the sound on the album is supposed to be the live sound. If you see a YOB show, the new stuff will translate perfectly. And tbh it's loving amazing live. Just that mixing an album to match that is a weird choice.

It's grown on me though, the album sounds better the louder you play it :).

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I can't stop thinking about Yob through an arena sound system. I also can't stop thinking about what Tool fans will think of Yob. It reminds me of King Crimson reportedly getting booed when they did a stint with Tool.

I'm so happy for YOB, but I'm worried the awesomeness won't translate to arenas well. They just can't push the deafening small-room reverberations that makes live YOB so mindblowing. OTOH, it's YOB doing an arena tour!!!

I hope tool fans are respectful (or like the music). Mike is such a nice guy, I'd hate to see him get booed because a bunch of teenagers don't understand that bands have set-times so YOB isn't actually keeping tool from playing that 4 1/2 hour set they expected.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

Wow, this is going to be amazing, http://www.doommantia.com/2012/03/mike-scheidt-of-yob-solo-album-stay.html

A mellow acoustic album from mike scheidt? Can't wait for June!

EDIT - Cool, recorded by Tad Doyle!

Holy poo poo, he was just about the last person I expected to do an acoustic album, but somehow it just feels right. I'll be waiting for this one.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I caught Baroness this past Wednesday with Meshuggah and Decapitated, they were outstanding. One of the better live shows I've seen, Baroness' energy was great. Mostly songs from the Blue Album, with two tracks from Yellow & Green and one(?) from Red. They did a neat thing with the lighting, where the colors corresponded to the album (i.e. Blue Album tracks had blue lighting).

The bill was admittedly a little off, having a band like Baroness follow Decapitated was weird. Still, seeing Meshuggah and Baroness in one show gave me a stoner-boner.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

nomapple posted:

I am seeing YOB next weekend, can't wait :D Hellfest's doom line-up is loving incredible this year!

If you get the chance, try to talk to Mike - he's a super nice guy, loves talking to fans. I dunno how the venue is where you'll be seeing them, but he usually chills with people after their set.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Unbootable posted:

Hey guys, I've been trying to be a completist about Thou's discography and I know that they have inventory held by a bunch of distros, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those distros and if they'd recommend any?

It's not exactly what you want, but for others reading Thou has made sure their entire discography is online for free. They had a little piece in one of the Louisiana papers where they mentioned most of their fans had come from downloads, and they were more than happy to oblige.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

For people in CT: Witch Mountain, Castle and Sun Dagger are playing a free show in New Haven on Oct. 31st. It's at a place called BAR.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

There's a "newer" bongripper track called Fisting (I think), they have an unmastered version on their bandcamp. Not SWD, but it's a neat song nonetheless.

E: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/track/fisting-unmastered
I assume this is actually new, if it's an older song ignore me.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 13, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

BATTILUS is excellent. I saw them open for YOB and I was pleasantly surprised. The opening track on Furnace is one of my favorite sludgy songs, so heavy.

I'm going to see High on Fire for the first time this Friday; anyone seen any of Matt Pike's bands recently? Is he able to keep up energy with the issues he's been having? Also any goons going?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Apparently High on Fire is recording a live show tonight at the Bowery and tomorrow at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Hi I have not listened to this sort of stuff in a while but used to and lately have been obsessing over ISIS's Celestial and Panopticon as well as Pelican's first self-titled EP. Wondering if someone can recommend some new bands or albums I might like. I tried listening to some more recent Pelican today (City of Echoes) and really didn't like it. I am looking for something with really good atmosphere and composition.

Russian Circles are similar in style to Pelican but I dig them a whole lot more. Station (and more specifically the song Harper Lewis) is a great starting point, but you could follow them in order of release (Enter, Station, Geneva, Empros) and get a great feel for the band's evolution.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

bleedbackwards posted:

The riff around 7:50 of Burning the Altar is the second heaviest thing I've ever heard.

The actual heaviest thing I've ever heard is the "riff" around 10:00 on The Mental Tyrant from The Unreal Never Lived. Play it on a good system and it feels like the oxygen is being sucked out of the room.

The entirety of Unreal Never Lived is the heaviest song ever. Grasping Air was the first Yob song I ever heard, and it's still my absolute favorite song ever (and up there for most crushing drat riff of all time). Before that I'd been listening to a lot of Moss, and Yob was the perfect "next step" for me.

So yeah, I can also highly recommend Yob.

E: I've been listening to Ahab's The Polymorphess a ton recently thanks to you guys. It's really, really excellent.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 6, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I'll contribute to the "how did I discover doom" stories:

My parents owned a ton of records, and one of the first I ever listened to was the Black Sabbath self-titled, back when I was 5 or 6. I used to stay up late with headphones, rocking out to some dark as poo poo music. I didn't really expand further until the late 90's, when I first got ahold of Kyuss and heard Demon Cleaner for the first time. That blew my mind, but I sort of kept it there for a few more years. Then sometime in the 2000's I found Moss and thought I'd hit peak heaviness. Explored the slow stuff for a while, stumbled across Ahab, knew a bunch of people into Mastodon so listened to that as well. Then 3 or 4 years ago I came across the song "Grasping Air" by Yob while looking for a Moss track. That changed everything instantly. I went looking for more, discovered most of the poo poo posted here, finally found this thread, and over the past few years have been dooming it up nonstop.

Oh, and at some point shorty before I found Yob a friend let me borrow some Thou. It didn't grip me at first, but over the past year I explored their many releases and gained a huge appreciation for what they do. I'm not 100% sure how to classify them (sludge?), but they've been a big influence in my own music.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

On the Scott Kelly topic, Saw Neurosis last night for the first time - pretty awesome show! It was also loud as gently caress, I would've been deaf had I not had my earplugs.

Was most surprised by the opening bands. I expected drone or sludge or post or something, but instead it was crazy electronic stuff. The first guy to play, Carlos Giffoni, was one dude with a couple of synths and a mixer and did some neat evolving noise stuff. Not what I was expecting, but excellent anyways. James Plotkin & Tim Wyskida were next, I missed most of it but it was drums+synth+processed noise guitar.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Thou is fuckin' fantastic, one of my favorite bands. I'd say they're on the sludge side of things, with that thick crushing guitar tone and some slow as Hell riffs.

They have a ton of albums, and as far as I know they're all available for free from either the band or label page. I'll find the link when I get home today.

E: I was supposed to see Thou and WitTR in NYC at a CD release party but ended up having a tooth pulled that day. Just about the only concert I regret missing.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 4, 2013

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Way back in the thread some people were coming up with amusing band names, and one of them caught my eye: Slothful Bong. I turned it into a little instrumental solo thing, and it's about time I shared some of what I've been working on. Since it's lazy-day stuff for me there's no overarching theme, just sludgy music.

http://www.last.fm/music/Slothful+Bong/

E: Most of it is with 8-string guitars tuned to drop-E1 (same note as the lowest on a standard 4-string bass), with a couple songs a step higher on a 6-string at F#1

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 20, 2013

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Finally got the chance to give Habitual Levitations a proper listen; it's a drat good album. Production is very nice, songs are good, I like it!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Found out that Om is playing at a literal ancient temple (Temple of Dendur, built around 15 BC) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY July 19th, 7pm. They're playing At Giza.

You can get tickets from the Met website. I've already got mine, never seen 'em and missed it last time they were around so I'm pretty excited about it!

E: Tickets Here

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Irony.or.Death posted:

Sold out already, apparently. This may be the first time I have ever wished I obsessively checked a smartphone throughout the day. I trust we can count on a trip report, at least?

Holy poo poo, wasn't expecting it to sell out this quickly! Definitely a trip report - this will be my second "show at a crazy place", the first being Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Church of St. Paul the Apostle so I have high expectations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

For the Doom musicians out there: Mike Scheidt from Yob is selling his Chamberlain 1968 Superlead clone. Used on ATMA and the recent tours. He's priced it at $2000 shipped in the US. If I still used analog amps I'd be on that in a second. If you're interested you can contact him through Facebook.
Just thought I'd share that, as the thing is a piece of awesome doom (recent) history!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Devil's Blood is the poo poo, but sadly they broke up earlier this year.

In other possibly sad news, rumors are going around Facebook sourced back to Invisible Oranges that eyehategod drummer Joey LaCaze has passed away. :smith: No major confirmations yet though, so it could just be a bad source.

Yob posted that on their Facebook, just came here for confirmation :(

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Dunno if it was recommended here or in the other metal thread, but I just gave Primitive Man's album Scorn a listen and holy poo poo! That is some misanthropic sludge.
They're playing with Pelican on Oct. 17th at St. Vitus in Brooklyn (I believe), then Pelican is on again the 18th but with different openers. Going to the 18th, really tempted to do the 17th as well because this band is awesome.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

That Lion's Daughter/Indian Blanket thing is amazing, thanks for posting it. Vinyl of it was $12 and comes with a digital download thing too!

I don't know the date of it, but some of my friends run a venue in Danbury CT called the Heirloom and their newish booking guy got Intronaut and Scale the Summit together for a show. I think at least one of you is southwest CT, so you should check it out whenever it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

What are people's go-to shops for sludge/doom vinyl? I got some stuff from AllThatIsHeavy and Blue Collar, but some of the other shops I checked out looked slightly sketchy. Might just be the DIY/independent nature of it though.

Side note: my Bongripper Hippie Killer 2xLP in Camo green came a little while ago. Sounds great, packaging is top notch, and it came way quicker than I expected.