Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, the live version did not do that song justice. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I must be going deaf because I'm not hearing all the 'pop' that fans and pitchfork seems to be painfully aware of. March To The Sea is really good though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

I think because it has a "cleaner" sound. You can almost understand the lyrics, it has a hook and chorus, like a normal song structure I think. They've definitely evolved from First and Second and, in my opinion, get better with each album.

Those are good things, though? A big problem with baroness was noisy production and a ton of songs with great ideas but no way to end themselves. I think 90% of the Blue Record just kind suddenly of meanders off with guitar harmonies while fading to black. I don't think Red was much better. That stuff is cool when it's in the middle of the song, not when you're wanking around towards the end or banging on chords trying to figure out how to end your song.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Those previews seem to indicate that Green is radically different from yellow. I'd argue that I'm looking forward to Green more than Yellow. The preview for The Line Between makes me want this album yesterday.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2012

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really like Eula, but that song sounds like Baroness doing their best Muse impression. The guitar solo towards the end is straight out of Muse's song Fury and vocals aside, it sounds like you could find this on Origin of Symmetry.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The song Little Things is particularly good to me. I think it should have replaced Take My Bones Away or Eula as one of their singles/pre-releases.

I've been skipping all-over, and what I'm noticing the most is that while it would be hard to call Baroness a metal band at this point instrumentally, yet the themes in the lyrics and the atmosphere of the songs is still reminiscent of Red and Blue.

Blue had this sort of Apocalyptic feel throughout the music in my opinion, and Yellow & Green kind of continues that tradition, there's a distinct feeling of dread and despair throughout both of them that sets this pretty far apart from any pop or 'rock' album. They're still Baroness at heart, and this is no 'sell-out' album, even if it's way less heavy than their previous offerings.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yellow is definitely more energetic and fun to listen to, but Green has The Line Between that, at its peaks, sounds like old baroness. The lyrics are iffy, but otherwise it's probably the heaviest song on the album. The intro riff is incredible, at least.

I feel like Green will take the longest to grow on me, but I don't think it sucks.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What is it about music and entertainment that turns people into total shitheads? gently caress.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I realize I am quite late on the news that Baroness have had to replace their drummer and bassist due to complications from the accident: http://baronessmusic.com/update-3/#more-596

however Baroness will be hitting Dallas and Austin soon. I'll either be going the short drive 20 minute to Dallas, or I'm gonna make a road trip out of going to Austin. Either way. With the accident and personell changes I can easily see a situation where, if Baroness continues to develop as a band, the remaining members' mental and physical injuries might change the quality or style of their work. For better or worse, I'm not trying to be a doom sayer. Maybe they'll go back to the wonderfulness of Blue or something? What I do know is, I should probably see them at least once before they start making new material and shifting their style more like they probably will.

My question is, does Baroness put on a good live show? I've never liked recordings of live shows because the audio is always total poo poo and it's never a fair representation of being there. So I'm curious for those who have been, is it worth the price of tickets?

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 29, 2013

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry guys, that was really bad wording, I did not mean to imply they died! Everyone is still alive as far as we have been told!! I have fixed the error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have no feel for purple. I got on board with Baroness with Blue, and Blue is baroness to me. Yellow and Green had some good songs, but wasn't very good. What ive heard on purple hasn't appealed to me at all.

I mean, Red was good too. Haven't heard the EPs. I get that Baroness wants to do weird poo poo and try different things and their lineup changes will bring people who are probably gonna move the group away from what I liked about them. I'm glad they're alive and around to make music, but Purple definitely ain't for me.