Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Idioteque Dance posted:

Yeah Bong were so good. Such a step up from their records. Black Cobra killed it at the same time, you'd never think that two guys can sound so loud on a big stage like that.

Next weekend can't come soon enough: Fu Manchu, Black Cobra, Beastwars in Wellington/Auckland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Polegrinder posted:

Is there any reason to go past "God Says No" in the Monster Magnet catalog? I've been a fan of theirs since 1992, but stopped listening after "God Says No" came out. Just wondering if it's worth giving the last 3 albums a spin.

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

Everything starts sounding more or less the same. Literally nothing stands out to me after Powertrip, but if you like God Says No then you'll probably like everything after that. That could just be me though, I'm not a super huge fan of them.

For some reason I keep buying them, and every time, they're not very good.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Am I doing something wrong? Because the new Soundgarden album is beige as gently caress.

It doesn't have the enormous riffs of Louder than love or Badmotorfinger, and it doesn't have the experimentation of Superunknown or Down on the upside, it's just fifty one minutes of boring rock music.

They sounded horrible when I saw them play earlier this year: Chris' voice was shot, the guitars were out of tune, and seeing that, and hearing this album are just a pretty disappointing effort at a comeback from one of my favourite bands during the '90s.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 9, 2012

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

nomapple posted:

Did you catch Dread Sovereign/was their record available yet? Also if you caught Cobalt how were they?

Also thanks for Beastwars, thread. I bought the album last night and it loving slays. Bummed to miss out on the ltd vinyl, and shipping costs from NZ are too painful to bother with the regular edition for now!

They kick rear end live too. Here's Matt (the singer) doing his doom dance while they were opening for Unida last Friday night:

I've seen them a few other times live too, most notably this time last year when they opened for Black Cobra and Fu Manchu

And here's a band I never thought I'd get to see: Unida featuring one John Garcia.

It was a pretty awesome evening.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Which head? I was the guy in the Meshuggah shirt.

If for some reason you haven't heard Beastwars yet, they're giving their first album away on Bandcamp for the next week or so.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah it was a pretty intense pit. At the beginning of Unida's set I was in the middle of the front row and got pushed towards the left for a bit, then as the set ended got pushed nearly out the door on the other side. For the encore I just went and stood by the bar with the other guys I went with.

Edit: Just saw Truckfighters and they are one goddamn amazing live band. This might just have been the gig of the year...

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 7, 2013

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Vice are streaming the new Monster Magnet album "Last Patrol", and it's actually good?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

fyodor posted:

Black Cobra's new album comes out in a couple weeks. Here's a track from it wheeeeeee

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/02/01/exclusive-premiere-black-cobra-imperium-simulacra/

The full album is streaming now.
http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/2/15/black-cobra

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

A human heart posted:

Windhand got their set cut off by a noise complaint in Auckland and there's like various people in the national music scene voicing opinions about it, and it was in the paper and so on.

I was there, I've never seen so many cops at a gig. It's pretty hosed up that a single complaint can justify such a heavy-handed response.

Cough were pretty good, and half of a Windhand set is better than none I guess :(

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Oh hey, new Fu Manchu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPm8g1PSN5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Megalomania, A National Acrobat, Cornucopia.

There are three constants in life: death, taxes and the first six Black Sabbath albums.