Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Novum posted:

Slough feg was so bad it was surreal and wrapped around back to entertaining

They’re bad live? That blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Novum posted:

I wish I weren't completely sick of weed themed bands because there are always a ton of them everywhere.

I don’t even bother listening to them anymore. At least generic occult themed bands are way cooler.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Everything about that video owns owns owns

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Laserface posted:

Windhand have a new track out. Production is thick as gently caress. Looks like they are leaning into the 4 piece (single guitar) sound more too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOXeidscf8

What happened to the second guitarist? I cant find anything about him leaving, but he hasnt been on tour with them this year.

Yup still my absolute favorite doom band

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

WINDHAND 101

1. Lame riff on guitar
2. Whole band plays lame riff
3. Vocals over lame riff
4. Maybe a different riff for the chorus if we're feeling ambitious

:chloe:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hate dumb cliche stoner rock and metal and WEEEEDDDD but Windhand is 10/10

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kvlt! posted:

"DUDE WEED LMAO" <<<<<<<<<<<< "70s occult LSD witch horror movie".

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The value of originality in music is wildly overstated, a lot of your favorite artists, actually probably 100% of them, crib from something that's already been done

What Dyna Soar really wants is something that feels new but scratches that familiar itch at the same time

Honestly that’s why I like Windhand so much. They’re extremely original and personal where it counts but 100% channel their influences. It helps having the best production and tone in the genre imo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can we just agree that Mike Scheidt doom is the best doom. Cosmic spirituality grounded meditative walls of thunder.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Also even though I poo poo on doom for being dull and backwards, Chelsea Wolfe exists y’know. Queen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I dislike the old Elder but the last two albums are 100% my poo poo. It’s weird like that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bummed it’s a split and not an LP but oh well. The new songs sound really great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What about funeral doomy stuff with clean vocals and more spooky vampire band who lives in a sad goth castle vibes

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pokey Araya posted:

I was touring with an Italian band, one of them put this on and said, "Imagine you in really cold castle in france, by yourself, this is that soundtrack."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZJCXBN_gjk

That description owns and I’m digging this!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

well, i finally listened to watching from a distance, and not only do i feel depressed, but i also feel like it hit me hard right where i needed to be hit

Oh man. Finding that in the late 00s as a lonely weird moody teen was incredible. I had never heard anything that struck me the same. It was oddly comforting in a way. Like the comfort of facing something incredibly real and painful in life but feeling slightly more okay just for the act of accepting it. It still hits me the same way every time I listen to it. Sometimes I avoid it for that reason. At the end of the day though it’s going to remain one of the most impactful albums I’ve ever heard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Yob thing sucks because the production is just all around bad. It’s really weird to me because it comes across as totally incompetent. Like you could just stick some mic’d room recordings together and it would be better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mike is a cosmic treasure

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yob is a chuggy band

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll have to listen to that. Windhand has pulled ahead so far as my favorite doom band it’s kind of crazy. I don’t know what it is but everything about them is perfectly engineered for me.

e: oh yeah this is hitting that spot already :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

Windhand should cover one of those songs

I still want Windhand covers of Townes Van Zandt songs. Dorthia is a big fan of his.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

drat those vocal melodies are niiiiiice

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The last one is by far my favorite Yob album. I don’t even listen to the other stuff much now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ingmar terdman posted:

Probably of interest to some: O'Malley is playing some guitar on the Johann Johannson score for Mandy, the Nic Cage starring follow-up to Beyond the Black Rainbow

Holy poo poo I didn’t know that was a thing. BtBR is one of my favorite films :aaaaa:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trabant posted:

I saw Earthless last night and they freaking ripped, as always.

On my way to the show, I saw this marquee for a black metal band:

This is cracking me up every time I see it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think the new Electric Wizard album is pretty good. It’s simultaneously the same poo poo they’ve been doing forever but completely different. More classic rock/metal influence and the production is cleaner. I doubt it’s going to blow anyone away but it’s solid.

Witchcult Today has been my favorite for a while now but the newer ones are definitely worth listening to imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Niiiice. More excited for this than I was for the new Sleep tbh

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I talked to Mike a bit last year and he really is a great guy. He treats you like an old friend. Real humble person.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mirror Reaper is an album that grows on me every time I listen to it and I’ve never even gone start to finish with it. Sometimes it gives me a similar feeling as listening to Watching From A Distance. I don’t always want that as it’s a bit heavy mentally but it’s certainly something special.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m really obsessed with Mirror Reaper right now. What else hits a similar mood? That lay back relax every muscle in your body and just sink into the thick layers of music feeling. The album conjures up so many images and such in my head. I don’t get that too often.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 7, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Novum posted:

Try post rock you loving commie

Don’t tell me what to do you god drat fascist scum

tbh though I used to be really into post rock. Not so much anymore. Most of it bores me unfortunately.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1016515977167736833

Niiiiiice

Juaguocio posted:

Neurosis! I just saw them for the 2nd time last night, and their vibe is pretty much exactly what you're describing.

I love Neurosis :)

Darthemed posted:

Have you heard any Ommadon? Might do it for you. Other chances: Jupiterian, Leechfeast, and Broughton's Rules (their first album only, unfortunately).

Haven’t heard those. Thanks!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

drat, I heard there was a MAGA guy but I showed up a bit late and I missed it! Also walked right by Kim and should’ve introduced myself but I had been standing for four hours and couldn’t deal anymore.

YOB and Indian loving ruled.

She’s cool as hell and a total badass. I understand why she gets some flack but ehhh I’d rather her be who she is then a racist fuckhead. Great taste too, she’s always repping killer bands.

my bony fealty posted:

New Windhand album and tour in October

Guess I'll [grudgingly] make the trek to LA on a Tuesday night to see em!

gently caress yeah! The last Windhand album is one of my favorites of all time. I get why a lot of people find them boring but they are exactly what I want out of doom.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've written for her a couple of times and she's listened to my band so I figured I'd at least put a face to a name she probably doesn't remember

Ohh that’s rad. I only know her from twitter + her articles.

my bony fealty posted:

Same they are one of my faves. I never saw them despite living in Richmond for a few years because I suck.

Tour is with Satan's Satyrs who I would bet put on a rockin show, anyone seem them?

I still haven’t listened to the SS side of their split. Guess I should soon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never been that into Bongripper but I guess I’ll listen to this one since y’all can’t stop teasing me with how awesome the production is. I’m a sucker for thunderous low end music with matching production.

e: hahaha oh god it’s so heavy I love it

that black metal riff blew my god drat mind

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 11, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hope the Conan album dropping this year is better than the lost. God it was so boring.

This rules thanks for posting it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Revengeance

Ok here’s your chance to convince me to give it another try go go go

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sludge Tank posted:

i dunno. the opening riff on wrath gauntlet for me is loving awesome and the closing part of throne of fire too.

I’ll give it another go sometime :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m sad I missed out on the colored vinyl. drat.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve only been to one show ever. Very cool guy, me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

Are you an actual bubble boy or something?

Hermit because that term sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Detective Thompson posted:

Bongripper is one of those bands that I need to be in a certain mood to listen to, and even then, I like their stuff but it never compels me the way I think I expect it should. I finally saw them live at Migration Fest, and man, I get it. They killed the hell out of it. The finale was crushing.

For me it was always the stupid name that doesn’t fit the music. It held me back for a long time.