Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

flamingdawg posted:

So we're all super psyched for the new Beastwars album, right?

http://youtu.be/dcgKuGPB1a0

gently caress, I am now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Saw Windhand a week or so ago, with supporting acts Iron Tongue (uninspired sludge) and Sumokem (who almost stole the show). Windhand was cool, all the members were willing to sign a copy of their first album, but due to the small bar venue, none of the bands brought merch. Talked to Sumokem as they were packing up equipment, and found out they'd only been together since January, so all they had in the way of music fans could take home was an unmastered version of their track "The Emperor". The version they played at the show was great, so I thought I'd share it and get these guys some exposure.

I liked it!

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Body's new album, Christs, Redeemers is streaming on Pitchfork.

loving breathtaking so far.

I am liking this so far, as well, but maybe not as much? I dunno. There's a certain sense of distance invoked by the production, it feels contained, sterile, even with the yelling.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chalupa Joe posted:

Vice are streaming the new Monster Magnet album "Last Patrol", and it's actually good?

I liked Duke of Supernature when it came out as the advance single, so I'm going to have to check the rest of it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

From the department of 'probably obvious', Laura Pleasants hates Nickelback.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Optimum Gulps posted:

I posted this in the main metal thread, but it fits better here. One of my albums of the year for sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTW1VsqiNV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSeiGa0vec

It's a collaboration between two bands from St. Louis, The Lion's Daughter (sludge metal) and Indian Blanket (folk).

Holy gently caress, I need this record yesterday. I am totally going downtown this week to see if it's at Waterloo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oil! posted:

It is the more difficult version of debating the best Goblin between Orange Goblin and Goblin Cock.

In this analogy, Nekrogoblikon plays the role of Cannabis Corpse by being out of genre.

Sorry, OG and GC are good, but Goblin exists.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That sucks so bad. I kept telling myself to listen to his solo stuff after TDB imploded, still never got around to it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't believe That Metal Show actually gave what might be a good rec (I watch it for the comedy value), but I am liking this one from Mount Salem:

http://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/mount-salem-lucid

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nerve posted:

You guys Empress Rising is just such a killer album. You should listen to it.

It's not in my mailbox yet why the gently caress is it not in my mailbox like years in the past so I already have it?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/boris-quicksilver/

Oh, poo poo. I'm on board.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Adult Swim singles releases have always solid at worst, amazing at best. I'm definitely interested.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Brownout is rad, they're a side project of some of the guys from Grupo Fantasma that plays heavy, heavy Latin funk.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: HOLKY MOUNTAIN

I am totally on board with this.

Also, I feel like a heel, since they're one of the thread favorites, but every time I hear The Body, I just kind of want to be doing anything other than listening to The Body.

I think I should go through the suggested records section at the top of the thread, there's probably a lot of stuff I've missed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you don't like the album they did with Haxan Cloak then I don't know what to say.

I haven't heard that one, admittedly. My biggest encounter with them was getting about halfway through Christs, Redeemers and just wanting to die.

e: Maybe like a quarter of the way through. It's basically why I stopped listening to black metal. I'm just like "STOP WITH THE SCREECHING AND SCRAPING."

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 3, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was considering posting this, they've gotten psych-doom-funky on their new record, but their first three (Budos Band I/II/III) are stone killers, too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Does the Indian Blanket/Lion's Daughter collab count as this year or last? I just checked, we were posting about it on 1/1/14

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"Headliners announced Jan. 15"

gently caress it, I'd go as-is.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really do like the title track to Never Say Die, but there's like a zillion better songs from Mk I Sabbath.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

Likewise, "Johnny Blade" has some sick riffs if you're willing to look past the cheesy synth and stupid lyrics.

I like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, so they'd have to be really cheesy synths and really stupid lyrics for me to notice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Where would one start with Tad? I've only heard the one song of theirs on the Hype soundtrack.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

welp, that song is rad, and the song I've previously heard from them (Giant Killer) is also on that record. Time to dive in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

Somehow this totally slipped past me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1n3sFQhyg

Dylan Carlson jamming some Earth on a little boat on a summer's day. :allears:

This is phenomenal. I totally needed something to bring a smile to my face on a lovely day like today, and it totally did.

What's he playing? I recognized (and the comments confirmed) the last part is Bees Made Honey, but the first segment and the puppet show I don't recognize.

e: Oh gently caress how did I sleep on Elder? Compendium is loving massive. I need to catch up on their other stuff.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, Naam is breaking up? That sucks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Brownout isn't doom, but I loving love them. How I've lived in this town this long and haven't seen them live, I don't even know (actually I do know, I work nights.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah i was gonna see earth last weekend, but I didn't feel like paying 80-90 bucks for a single ticket on the secondary market because it was sold out. sucks.

in other news, i got the boris/uniform record and holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zoben posted:

Neurosis.

that's a hell of a thing to find out on a wednesday night at work