Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Last week I scored a three-day pass to Stumpfest NW and went all three nights for one of the best regional music fests in all the land, and it was Awesome. Lineup:

THURSDAY
Prizehog
Sons of Huns
Black Pussy
Lecherous Gaze
Lord Dying
Danava

FRIDAY
Muscle and Marrow
Graves at Sea
Author & Punisher
Intronaut
Yob

SATURDAY
Billions and Billions
Rajas
Norska
Sandrider
Big Business

All at Mississippi Studios, one of the best venues in town. Great vibe, great camaraderie, great performances, what a fuckin stretch of great music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

So Indian just posted on their Facebook page that they're going to be playing the Inter Arma/Yautja show in Chicago, but the venue website says nothing about them being on the bill. They also don't appear to be listed on the Psycho California lineup anymore, but I could just be looking right past their logo or something. I'm very confused.
Late, but I heard they'd broken up? They were replaced on the Psycho Fest bill by Bedemon (Pentagram offshoot).

Also, the only thing better than hearing this new Bell Witch everyone's been raving about is discovering that they're at Psycho Fest too :hellyeah: show is gonna own so hard, man.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Just staggered in the door last night from Psycho Fest and wow.

Personal highlight: Earthless, delivering maybe the best extended instrumental jam I've ever seen in my life (and I'm 41)

Most fun: Municipal Waste was a blast as usual, but even more so this weekend because they were such a fuckin odd duck in the lineup. Acid Witch was goofy and awesome as well, with every song getting a pre-performance summary: "This song is about when you do too much acid and you're wandering around in the woods and you fall on your fuckin face and you wonder if this is how it all ends...it's called 'Witchtanic Hallucinations'...this song is about religion, and uh, about how you don't fuckin' need it! It's called 'Evil!" Truckfighters probably brought the most energy overall of any band I saw.

Disappointing: Eyehategod. I've never been a mega-fan and I know they've been having issues but they were seriously lackluster, which was a real problem coming right after Old Man Gloom who killed it. Also thought Bongzilla kinda sucked. Also as good as they were, Bell Witch really got hurt by having to play on the outdoor stage, where the acoustics were pretty terrible. Not their fault at all.

Other standouts: Lord Dying (I'm biased coming from Portland, but they really tore it up), Conan (no words for how heavy), Subrosa. Blackout turned a lot of heads and seemed to have the most buzz going for them. Pretty cool to see Bedemon's first-ever live performance; they started out pretty by-the-numbers but by the fourth song or so were fully in the groove.

Going VIP for an additional $100 was the Best Move Ever - free drinks all weekend, sweet poster and tee, and got to have beers with almost every band at one point or another throughout the weekend.

in other news, Bobby Liebling looks like utter poo poo, and I mean, drat.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

big scary monsters posted:

Disappointed to hear Bongzilla weren't good though, what was the problem?
Nothing specific, they just didn't do it for me for whatever reason. A Bongzilla fan might have been in heaven, but I'm not that familiar with em and they didn't grab me.

quote:

How was Old Man Gloom's set, are they mostly playing from Ape of God or older stuff too? Droney and atmospheric or all out roaring?
More roaring, but droney interludes. It was probably about half Ape of God and a lot of No. "To Carry the Flame" = :aaaaa:

rivetz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 20, 2015

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Is there a better live band these days than Earthless? Their set in London last night was just ridiculous.
This. I feel like a tool describing it to folks unfamiliar with their music because they come off sounding like a generic jam band, for gently caress's sake. A straight hour of predominantly slow-to-midtempo three-piece instrumental jam? That's a turnoff to so many people.

A big part of their appeal for me was how effortlessly they accelerated and slowed down as a unit and how it allows them to seamlessly transition between songs or riffs. It's so rare to see an instrumental unit where the guitar has the spotlight pretty much from start to finish, yet you're at all times keenly aware of the bass and drums doing their part and keeping everyone's heads on straight. He's not even really that amazing a guitarist (though he's fuckin good); they're just a sterling example of a band that's so much more than the sum of their parts. I don't have words to describe how sick that set at Psycho Fest was. I missed almost all of Elder for it, goddamnit, yet if I went back I'd pick Earthless again in a heartbeat.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Pardon the wrong-forum post here, but thought it was cool enough to warrant dropping in here. Anyone in or around Portland, OR - I'm selling a pretty cool piece of stoner metal history.

This is a custom Matamp 4x12 speaker cabinet I inherited from a buddy a couple of years back - he was moving to Arizona and asked to store it in my garage for a Craigslist buyer to pick up. The Craigslist deal never happened, I haven't seen or heard from my buddy in over two years, now I'm moving and have to get rid of this thing.

What I thought was pretty cool about this when I inherited it is that he said this cab used to belong to Matt Pike around the start of HoF. I can't prove this, but my buddy was a guitarist and had been in a number of bands and was generally well-connected with Cool /Interesting Folks™, wasn't the type to bullshit and didn't have any particular reason to make that up anyway. Anyway *shrug* I thought it was pretty fresh to have one of fuckin' Matt Pike's cabs in my garage.

So now that I gotta move, I'm researching this thing to sell it locally, and come to find out that he's right, but it's cooler than that - I'm almost positive that this is one of the very cabs that Sleep used on the Holy Mountain tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuztsz3GsI

I've Googled around pretty diligently and am 99% sure it's one of the cabs in the back. It appears to be a custom build - the serial on the back says it's an Orange (model# OR412), but *cough* obviously it ain't. I'm not interested enough to dig even deeper to find out what the whole story is because a) I don't care, I just need to unload it and b) see a).

At any rate, if anyone knows anyone in this neck of the woods who wants a great stoner metal cab that conveniently doubles as a slab of pure stoner legend, make me an offer. I have a buyer in the Bay Area but would prefer to avoid shipping this behemoth anywhere, would much rather send it off with a stony goon who can swing by my place sometime between now and the end of the month. If I had more time I'd try to track down Matt Pike (who currently lives up here) and see if he'd sign it or something, but I'm low on time. You're welcome to lowball me and try to make a profit off it somehow - I read that Cisnero's Green head fetched $12K on eBay. I'm seeking noooowhere near that, but maybe someone more motivated can turn this into some real bank.

edit: vvv [good call, done and thanks for the reminder] vvv

rivetz fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Another fave along those lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-9FhNXXtw8