Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
John Dyer Baizley (of Baroness) is a fantastic artist. He's done the art for all of Baroness's albums as well as several other bands, including Kylesa, Black Tusk, and Skeletonwitch. This wiki page lists albums he's done art for, but he's got some other great stuff around the net too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
2012 just keeps getting better and better.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

So, no one has said anything about THIS yet so... yeah... NEW MELVINS. TWO NEW MELVINS RELEASES. AND A TOUR.

I've already got my ticket to seem them in Nashville. So drat excited.

Yeah I'm catching them down in NOLA on 4/21, can't wait.

Also echoing the HOF love. I thought Snakes wasn't really as good as their previous stuff despite my soft spot for Frost Hammer, but this album sounds like it's going to be great. I can't wait to destroy my roommate's speakers with Serums of Liao.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
NPR is streaming De Vermis Mysteriis, the new High on Fire album.

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 26, 2012

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
For everyone who loves Baizley's artwork, he has a blog at http://www.aperfectmonster.com/. There isn't a whole lot there yet but hopefully we'll start seeing more before too long.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

gently caress yeah. The other day I was even wondering what the hell was taking so long - best explanation ever. I take they're playing some new stuff on the tour?

e: "March To the Sea"? My balls are not prepared.

The first time I read that as March Into The Sea and my head nearly exploded from the idea of a Baroness Pelican cover.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

degauss posted:

Actually, it's called March to the Sea AND March Into the Sea. One of them is the 20-minute single version, the other is the 12-minute album version. Can't remember which is which though.

Either way, seriously hoping Baroness cover it. They won't, but a man can dream.

Yea, that's the one I was thinking of. I haven't listened to The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw in too long. I think it's time to go remedy that.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
My CD copy of Dopesmoker came in today. This thing is loving gorgeous. If you haven't picked up the album you really should. I'm not into collecting vinyl, but this CD had just as much love poured into it as the LPs did. The packaging has some nice embossing on the figures in the cover art and the inside of the album is a picture of the same setting but done at night. The insert has the riff chart Astrotrain posted earlier with a neat photo of the band on the reverse side.

I'm also pleased as punch with the shirt I got with it, but the poster was regrettably folded and creased due to being mailed in a small package. Still though, this was a great buy and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's even remotely into stoner metal.

Oh, and I guess the music's pretty good too :rolleye: It sucks that Sonic Titan never got a studio version released, but the live recording of Holy Mountain is fantastic.

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 3, 2012

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
The bass sounds slightly more prominent and everything sounds a bit sharper and clearer, but other than that they didn't gently caress with it too much. This one definitely strikes me as being louder though, which is always a good thing. The spacey solo at ~39 minutes in sounds incredible.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the riff chart is on the back of the shirt

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 4, 2012

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Frank Caskelot posted:

I just came home from seeing Sleep and let me tell you, it was AWESOME!

Edit: Holy poo poo, does the live recording on the Tee Pee version of Dopesmoker do no justice to Sonic Titan. Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

Oh please oh please oh please don't just be teasing. My balls are blue already.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
The two live videos I saw of that song did it no justice. Can't wait for July.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

you lucky bastard :stare:

Oh, here's an interview with John Garcia and Brant Bjork talking about the whole legal mess with Kyuss Lives. It's all a bit upsetting really. Hopefully the record they're going to make is at least a decent bit of desert rock, regardless of whether it comes off as like legit Kyuss or not (doubtful).

Ugh. I love Josh Homme and Queens is pretty much my favorite band, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They just want to make cool music, guy.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Handen posted:

I'm probably going to see Black Mastiff open for Ancients open for Boris at Sled Island in Calgary in a week or two, so what's the most accessible path you guys could recommend for getting into Boris? I've only listened to Pink, and I enjoy it, but I know they've got dozens of other albums, I just have no idea where to start.

Edit: I should point out I'm more into the faster/harder aesthetic of stoner/desert rock like Atomic Bitchwax, C'mon, Clutch, Fu Manchu, etc., and not so much into the doom sludge stuff like I know they've done with Sunn O))).

Start with the 2002 Heavy Rocks (orange cover), that should be right up your alley.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Pitchfork is streaming another new Baroness track, "March to the Sea".

It's not what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, but I can't say I'm not excited as hell for this album.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I haven't seen this band mentioned in the thread yet, so let's talk Horn of the Rhino. They're a Spanish doom band with thrash elements and they're heavy as gently caress. Definitely check these guys out, they just released a new album this year and it owns.

Songs are linked because of :nws: album art
Speaking In Tongues
Grengus
Brought Back

Also,

this owns, thanks for sharing.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Emil broke his arm skateboarding. Seriously.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

It's much closer to Sleep than HoF's later material, and also happens to be one of the most devastating collections of riffs ever put to tape. I've heard good things about the reissue, too- folks are saying that the bass and drums are much clearer, without compromising any of the power.

I got my copy of it today and this description is spot on. Pick this up if you're into kickass riffs.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I guess it's not really that strange, but I did hear the beginning of "Vinum Sabbathi" in The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, which gave me the chance to introduce a friend to Electric Wizard :3:

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I was also at the Sleep show and it was indeed great. I was hoping they would play Antarcticans Thawed but the set we got was excellent so I won't complain.

Also, thanks to the folks who recommended Etymotic earplugs. I picked up a pair and wore them to the show and they worked really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
They're playing in Shreveport the same night Yob is playing in New Orleans. :(