Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So, I need to slowly go through this thread and carve the names of new fave bands into my arm as I wade through all 48 pages.

But in the pages I blew through, didn't see any mention of Thrones

Loudest one man band ever. If a one man band can be fronted by a bear. Also Joe Preston is a nice dude. First time I ever saw Thrones he was opening for Unwound in like 2001, in a 1000 sq foot room playing on the floor and no one was closer than 20 ft to him, all mouths agape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I saw Thrones at Supersonic Festival a few years ago, it was pretty incredible. A hundred people or so sat on the floor in a tiny room, one massive man with an equally huge bass stood at the front making this awesome noise that was shaking the plaster off the ceiling. However the only recording I have of his is Day Late, Dollar Short, which I found a bit underwhelming.

Yeah, get the Sperm Whale CD (or Mp3s if that's your bag), it's on Kill Rock Stars. It's actually two vinyl EP's put together and the best recorded/most cohesive.

My only gripe (and I guess Joe's too) is that he writes new music at a glacial pace. However, he doesn't come by often so even if it's the same 5 songs I'll go. For some reason, no matter how loud I refuse to wear earplugs for Thrones. And yeah, I believe you on the plaster coming down bit.

So I'm actually thinking about starting a radio show at a friend's prompting, and the theme would be "doom country". Doom and country separately, or together... Earth, obviously, but also dark country/folk/Americana. Checking out Man's Gin cuz of this thread. Other recommendations?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the doom-country recs. I am on VaCAy right now but will be checking it all out when I get back. I will also post any gems I find in that vein, and a link to the show if/when it happens.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

No one said anything about this so I guess I'll have to. This is loving great.

Agreed. Especially the tightness of yr drummer/bassist.... a lot of non-musicians don't understand that keeping tight time at super slow speeds is harder than fast speeds.

I'm curious if you guys record to a click? Either way bravo.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

Just got came into a record player with a kick rear end sound system. What are the first five records I should buy?

100 percent of my music is mp3s, so I'd love to start with a good demonstration of the power of vinyl.

Should I just go balls out and buy Dopesmoker, and be evicted from my apartment two weeks later due to playing it non stop?

This might sound like heresy, but right before the Nth playback that'll get you kick out of your apartment find some good headphones to go with that system and even better weed/beer/whateveryoudoforfun and crank that bitch on some cans.

Getting completely blitzed and listening to great music on headphones isn't just for 1975 anymore.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

watt par posted:

I remember seeing the Melvins do Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog at like half the speed as the recorded version back in like 2002 or 2003. That was something else.

Wait, the've played Hung Bunny slower than the album? TWICE as slow?? Need proof. :colbert: actually I may have heard it since 2002 Melvin's was one of my first real concerts. I'm sure I had no IDEA what was going on. Hehe

PS you know those stupid digital juke boxes? The ones that'll play tons of CDs that have been on a major label, no matter how obscure? Pay the two bucks for a single play of "Hag Me" in a sports bar.. Trust me... It'll be worth your two bucks. ;)

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I'm sure this is old hat to ya'll, since I bought zero new music in 2014, but just picked up YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend.
:aaa:

Ten outta fuckin ten.
Exactly what I needed to kick my rear end into gear and power through my winter sads, put up an ad on CL to start a doom band, and now might just go ride my mountain bike through the snow.:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

hah, some crazy person booked bongzilla a 4 gig tour around where i live. all the venues are really small, one of them is basically just a small bar and can hold like 50 ppl max.

Just means you gotta times your output (or intake, if you're a straight lameo like me) of second hand reefer by Fifty.
The community is counting on you...