Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I did not realise there was a goon thread for this. Yes!

Dopesmoker makes my morning commute more bearable recently.

Playing first gig with my three piece instrumental stoner band tonight, playing bass loud and deep. mm, fuzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I am comfortable with saying that Panopticon is the best Isis album.

My rankings:

Panopticon
Oceanic
Wavering Radiant
In the Absence of Truth
Celestial

Don't get me wrong, I love them all.

Panopticon for sure.

Thread title relevant - I've listened to that Bongripper album so many times over the last month it's ridiculous.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I saw Sleep live twice just before Pike went into rehab and apart from the disgustingly bloated stomach on the guy, you'd never know there was anything wrong with him, they tore e place up twice, unbelievably good live.

They have both gone over to the larger side. I was watching the Scion AV vid of Dragonaut live and my girlfriend instantly recoiled and said "those guys look disgusting."

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Checking that Woods of Ypres album mentioned above. This is pretty great, it actually reminds me of Cynic a lot if that encourages anyone.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
kyuss, welcome to sky valley. i still think it's the sgt peppers of stoner.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
edit lol broke tables http://i.imgur.com/6Jilb.jpg

gently caress yeah, christmas.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

Oh man, that's some good poo poo. My brother got my Paranoid by Sabbath on vinyl for Christmas, which I wasn't expecting at ALL but man... good choice.

Paranoid and self-titled should truly be on everyone's stoner/doom fundamentals vinyl collection - which I assume we are all accruing, whether we know it or not.

next up: Welcome to Sky Valley!

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I just read the OP in its entirety - if it's still being edited, I'd like to add my band, if possible! Three piece stoner/doom, we have an instrumental demo on bandcamp - we go by Stone the Crows.

some shots from recent gig - all credit goes to Kate Syme Photography for these. I'm the fella with the Rickenbacker.

niff fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 10, 2013

niff
Jul 4, 2010

SafetyTrain posted:

Listening to Mr.T on your bandcamp now. I'm pretty torn, on the one hand it's kind of good but unpolished. But on the other hand it feels very... rawish. Like you're just jamming and it's not going that well. It feels like you guys aren't that in synch. The intro feels kind of out of place since you drag the tempo down and the guitar solo is long and pretty unflattering.

I think you'd benefit from sitting down in a studio and polish the song for a while. It feels really unfinished.

I forgot to post that with my usual preface - that was a drunken jam with a guitar with bad intonation and a new-ish riff. We just put something up on the internet so people could hear what we sound like early on to get gigs, heh. It's working so far, although it's the roughest thing I play in that I've ever let be released.

It's generally much better than that - we have a 45 min length release coming soon that is much better, so if you enjoyed at least the idea behind it, a ball-crushingly heavy & tight version is coming soon. Facebook for any news.

In other news - Satan Worshipping Doom is up on the Bongripper bandcamp to listen for free at the moment! Ron says they're getting more vinyl pressed ASAP.

niff fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 10, 2013

niff
Jul 4, 2010

SafetyTrain posted:

Well gently caress, why didn't you say so from the start. That's EXACTLY what it sounds like. Either post here or send me a PM when you've released the 45 minute thing. Now I'm all giddy to here what you sound like for real.

haha. sorry, this is the only band I've been in where even the IDEA sounds good enough, you know? I don't HAVE to preface it with a hundred requirements-to-listen due to quality. I will proclaim it from the rooftops when the recordings are complete. there are even some vocals!

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Graves at Sea are going on tour with a local band from New Zealand soon - Meth Drinker. Pretty drat cool they managed to get a month-long European tour going.

also, tell your friend and co worker he's a loving boss.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
drummer's current favourite band, The Kings of Frog Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uc54AsxidY

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

The initial "Departure" section of Dopesmoker is even more of a mindfuck than just 4/4 to 3/4. If you just count the individual "one-two-three-fours" of the backbeat, you're missing the larger cycle of riffs that goes 12/4, 6/4, 8/4, 6/4 before repeating with a slightly different ending.

The really tricky part is that the first thing you hear Matt playing in the intro is actually the last 6/4 "bar" of the Departure riff.

i got really high and counted this once, this man is correct. although i highly doubt the band intentionally write in those time sigs, that's how it falls musically when you count it.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
That riff chart is so cool, I had no idea it was included with the 2012 SL release as well as the mini-poster. Best surprise when I opened it.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
in case y'all forgot, Belzebong are the tits.

http://belzebong.bandcamp.com/album/sonic-scapes-weedy-grooves

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Mandactyl posted:

Makes me wish I still had a car with a cassette deck, because this would be the best 8 bucks ever spent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleep-Dopes...=item27d1ba15ae

I ordered this - am in New Zealand, so may take a while to arrive, but I am going to play the poo poo out of this.

speaking of cassette and stoner/doom - my band did a cassette demo a while back and we only just released it. not the greatest, but hey - have a listen if yer interested.

http://soundcloud.com/winston-shadbolt/crowsdemo1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010
opening for Truckfighters on Tuesday. I am hoping they have LPs for sale at the gig.