Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So the new Church of Misery is pretty loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really enjoyed To the Chaos Wizard Youth. Also I had no idea they had so much stuff! The only other albums I've heard from them are Summit and The Archer & the Owle, which are both good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are people actually hating on 13 in this thread? Because it's really good. And I don't get the complaints about production. Everyone is acting like it's Death Magnetic, but to me everything sounded clear and I didn't get a horrendous earache after listening.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Mouth of the Architect is out. Listening on Spotify.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Saw the Melvins and Honky last night. I recommend you all do the same if they come through your town.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it was pretty varied, but I'm also not that knowledgeable of a Melvins fan (I only have Bullhead, Houdini, Freak Puke and The Bulls & the Bees). Here's what they played according to setlist.fm:

Hag Me
The War on Wisdom
We Are Doomed
Sweet Willy Rollbar
A Growing Disgust
Let It All Be
Your Blessened
Night Goat
Lizzy
Billy Fish
The Water Glass
Evil New War God
Hung Bunny
Roman Dog Bird
Graveyard (Butthole Surfers cover)

Their set in Chicago had three more songs.

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Seeing them tonight! Super pumped. Just wish I had at least one friend who was into them so I didn't have to go alone.
Sup alone Melvins fan buddy. I was actually going to see Swans last night, but both friends I was going to go with bailed, so I picked a show that was slightly cheaper and closer, plus I like the Melvins more. I also skipped out on Mastodon, who I didn't realize were playing Cleveland until a few hours earlier.

Apparently Swans got police to issue a noise complaint.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 26, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Double post:

New Rosetta is up on bandcamp. Name your price.

http://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/
It's perfectly good, but not it doesn't hit me as hard as A Determinism of Morality and definitely not as much as the Galilean Satellites. Their style is really starting to get monotonous.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did you mean Ufomammut? You might like 5ive for instrumental stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If anyone is bored and has 90 minutes to kill, here's the entire Melvins set from Cleveland (7/25):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ajQwm84XJY

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unfortunately it's skipping much of the Midwest.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cult of Luna is streaming Vertikal II: http://www.metalinjection.net/av/cult-luna-vertikal-ii-album-stream

First track is meh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If it sounds anything like the last Lord Mantis album it will fit that art nicely.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

can anyone tell me if the 1997 Ahab - Käpt'n Ahab are the same as the 2006 Ahab that put out call of the wretched sea? They sound really different and one tracklist/album is in German while the other is in English so I'd like to know.

Metal-Archives says Ahab formed in 2004, so no.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Streetcleaner.

Also it's weird to see a fan of heavy music that has never even heard of Swans.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah that album still crushes. One of the few albums I can think of where a drum machine is actually a highlight--particularly on Christbait Rising.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The first awesome stoner album of the year is probably Ethereal Riffian's debut full-length, "Aeonian." Sort of like Om but with monster riffs. Best only Ukrainian band I've ever heard.

http://etherealriffian.bandcamp.com/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's mostly the vocals and general psychedelic feel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Unjustly Labeled posted:

Oh dear. Bands like Neurosis are exactly what scares me off from listening to bands predating the 90s. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's appealing with their music. Maybe I just don't like traditional doom (or whatever they are)?

I think Godflesh with Streetcleaner struck a chord with me because it doesn't sound like something that could possibly exist in the late 80s/early 90s, while Neurosis just sounds like the most boring parts of what I've been listening to for over 10 years already, mixed with remnants of 80s songwriting and sounds.

I guess it's become a matter of "respect your elders" at this point, but is that really ringing endorsement for a band? For me it means nothing that they were first, or the impact they had on other bands, since even if they never existed, someone else would've eventually become that role model anyways.

Edit:
Oh gently caress, that sounded way too confrontational. Sorry, that wasn't my intention...

You're killin' me. But it's a matter of opinion. Anyway, traditional doom is far from what Neurosis is--they're more credited with starting "atmospheric sludge" (or post-metal. They're both awful names but I prefer the first one). Traditional doom would be Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Pentagram, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have trouble understanding how someone can listen to Through Silver in Blood and not be sucked into the demented hellscape that Neurosis creates and then come out thinking it's the most awesome thing they've ever heard, but oh well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
See, I'm not much of a fan of black metal when it attempts to go for atmosphere over anything else. Usually just leaves me bored. I prefer the riffier side of that genre--Infernal War, Immortal, Inquistion, Dissection, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Snailking is great, but their more recent work might be more appealing to a Bongripper fan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In my experience, mosh pits at hardcore shows are terrible. Hardcore dancers throwing punches and spin-kicks everywhere are just embarrassing and they really don't give a poo poo if you don't want to participate. Most metal crowds are chiller about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not doom at all but when I saw Immolation, there were like six people in front of the stage for the opening act, and one really tall social outcast who looked like he walked out of Jhonen Vasquez comic tried shoving everyone to get a pit going and it failed. There was something of a pit for Jungle Rot and then everyone just watched Immolation in awe more than anything. It was weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

im_sorry posted:

I just discovered Candlemass - I've always avoided them, since I don't remember any of their music from the 80s, but I remember their videos being terrible. I finally actually listened to "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", and I can't stop listening to it. "Solitude" is exactly what I've always imagined doom metal to be. I found it on Youtube, and don't want to be a mooch, so I'm going to probably buy it at some point, but what is the general consensus on Candlemass? Are their other albums this good?

"Solitude" also seems easy to play along with on a bass tuned to D... or maybe I'm so awful I just *think* I sound good. :backtowork:

The original vocalist left after EDM but Nightfall is a great album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
About to go see Russian Circles, KEN mode and Inter Arma. :hellyeah:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They were alright, but I think KEN mode stole the show despite being out of place. And Russian Circles' drummer live is jaw-dropping.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They had a few technical problems (lovely patch cable when Jesse switched to bass for "No; I'm in Control," pedal issues), so it was amusing that even after some violently angry songs, they were Canadian enough for him to go "I'm sorry my pedals are poo poo tonight" at the end of the set.

Here are the setlists if anyone is curious or thinking of seeing this tour.

Russian Circles
Harper Lewis
Geneva
Schiphol
Deficit
Carpe
Burial
Mladek
Youngblood

KEN mode
The Terror Pulse
Obeying the Iron Will
No; I'm in Control
The Romanticist
Counter Culture Complex
The Irate Jumbuck
Romeo Must Never Know

Inter Arma
Love Absolute
2000 Years
'sblood
Westward

I could've sworn they opened with the Survival Fires but I don't know them very well and I doubt they changed their set between the weekend and last night.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can I get recs for more doom with really good rhythm sections (besides Sabbath and Sleep of course)? I've been listening to Reverend Bizarre all day and I want more songs like "The Wandering Jew" in my life (though not necessarily so long).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, I like Om (and Melvins and Kylesa). Will check out Haggatha.

Looking more for traditional doom.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hell loving yes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nomapple posted:

I've been listening to a load of Corrupted, Dystopia, Noothgrush, EHG, Grief, Iron Monkey and Buzzoven lately. Anyone got other recs in this vein? Must be really dirty-sounding and hate-filled. Bonus points if it sounds a bit crusty too.

The Abominable Iron Sloth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You should get on the new Thou while you're at it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Fu Manchu album and tour. Gigantoid comes out on April 29.

Tour dates:
04/30/2014 San Francisco, CA / Bottom Of The Hill
05/01/2014 Sparks, NV / The Alley
05/03/2014 Portland, OR / Dante's
05/04/2014 Seattle, WA / El Corazon
05/06/2014 Salt Lake City, UT / Club Sound
05/07/2014 Denver, CO / Marquis Theatre
05/10/2014 Chicago, IL / Subterranean
05/11/2014 Hamtramck, MI / Small's
05/13/2014 Columbus, OH / Ace of Cups
05/14/2014 Cleveland Heights, OH / Grog Shop
05/16/2014 Toronto, ON / Lee's Palace
05/17/2014 Montreal, QC / Cabaret Mile End
05/19/2014 New York, NY / Mercury Lounge
05/20/2014 Cambridge, MA / The Sinclair
05/21/2014 Philadelphia, PA / The Barbary
05/23/2014 Washington, DC / Rock & Roll Hotel
05/24/2014 Raleigh, NC / King's Barcade
05/25/2014 Atlanta, GA / The Earl
05/27/2014 Austin, TX / Red 7
05/28/2014 Dallas, TX / Gas Monkey Bar N' Grill
05/31/2014 Scottsdale, AZ / Pub Rock Live

Comes to Michigan the day before I graduate from school in Ohio and go back there, then comes to Ohio. I won't have money for a show anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

So, confession time. For some reason I always slept on Isis as a sort of Neuroisis-lite clone. I listened to Celesstial and Oceanic yesterday and.......god drat. I was wrong. I was so very wrong. I heard their later work gets more and more atmospheric which I don't go for as much. Should I stop at Oceanic or did they make another really heavy album?

Listen to Panopticon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think they speak it but pretty poorly. They've done collaborations and tours with American and English artists. They must be able to speak it on some level.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Any such list that doesn't have Sleep in the number one spot is wrong, but yeah that one is pretty bad. Black Sabbath are (were) a great band and obviously their influence has been massive but I'd hesitate to call them metal and in any case the genre has kinda moved on since Master of Reality. Saint Vitus and arguably Orange Goblin don't really belong and I've never heard of Cannabis Corpse before but from the video in the article I wouldn't really put them there either. Also missing out High on Fire and Cathedral is unforgivable. Trying to come up with my own list now, I can think of lots of bands but ranking them would be tricky;
Please tell me you meant to say "stoner metal," because the idea that Black Sabbath is not a metal band by today's standards is ludicrous and weirdly prevalent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Eyehategod just announced a tour with Ringworm and Enabler. It's gonna be hateful.

quote:

5/28/2014 Masquerade - Atlanta, GA

5/29/2014 Drunk Horse - Fayetteville, NC

5/30/2014 Chop Shop - Charlotte NC

5/31/2014 611 - Frederick, MD

6/01/2014 Underground Arts - Philadelphia, PA

6/02/2014 Rex Theater - Pittsburgh, PA

6/03/2014 Strange Matter - Richmond, VA

6/04/2014 American Legion Post 80 - Binghamton, NY

6/05/2014 Brighton Music Hall - Boston, MA

6/06/2014 Even Flow - Long Island, NY

6/07/2014 Europa - Brooklyn, NY

6/08/2014 Basement Transmissions - Erie, PA

6/09/2014 Bug Jar - Rochester, NY

6/10/2014 Loving Touch - Detroit, MI

6/11/2014 Now That’s Class - Cleveland, OH

6/12/2014 Birdy’s - Indianapolis, IN

6/13/2014 Cobra Lounge - Chicago, IL

6/14/2014 Pyramid Scheme - Grand Rapids, MI

6/15/2014 TBA - Appleton, WI

6/16/2014 TBA - TBA

6/17/2014 Diamond Pub - Louisville, KY

6/18/2014 Fubar - St. Louis, MO

6/19/2014 Hi Tone - Memphis, TN

6/20/2014 Southport - New Orleans, LA

6/21/2014 Dollhouse - Savannah, GA

6/22/2014 Orpheum - Tampa, FL
The only other time I've been to the Loving Touch was for a high school graduation party. Some old guy nobody knew sang "Out of Africa" on the karaoke machine.

I know nothing about Enabler but apparently Andy Hurley from Fall Out Boy plays drums for them. lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Boris are the loudest thing I've ever seen. Melvins were also very loud, but I chose seeing them over Swans, who managed to get police called for a noise complaint in the ghetto on a Saturday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Lord Mantis is officially out today, still evil and hateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I got hooked up with an advance download of the new Eyehategod. It's loving killer.