Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Accidentally stumbled into the YOB/Dark Castle backstage area while searching for the bathrooms; they were all super loving nice and happy to chat/hear my myriad praises. Obviously I tried not to bug them too much, but I couldn't walk away from that without a 'hail Satan.' What a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Velocirocktor posted:

People in this thread like bands right?

Gonna have to hit up the Toronto show I think.

gently caress yeah! I've seen Bison at Wreck Room before, but Weedeater and Saviours will be a show not to loving miss! Thanks for the heads up!

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

If you have a semi-decent record player that's got a properly weighted arm and clean stylus, and a semi-decent tuner with semi-decent speakers, it will blow a cd player out of the water. Plus the art looks way better at 12".

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

I love YOB, but Atma is the first album of theirs that hasn't blown me away. "Prepare The Ground" is an astonishingly good track that hasn't left my head ever since I first heard it, but I find the other tracks kind of mediocre compared to YOB's back catalog. They seem to reuse a lot of the themes from previous albums; "Atma" features the same fast triplet feel as "The Mental Tyrant," and "Adrift in the Ocean" sounds an awful lot like "Dreamless Eye" from Middian's Age Eternal album. I am also not a Scott Kelly fan, so his contributions to Atma do nothing for me.

YOB are still probably the best doom band around right now, but I wish they had pushed themselves a little bit farther with Atma. Catharsis and The Unreal Never Lived are still their defining statements in my view.

Agreed, "The Unreal Never Lived" is the whole reason I even got into the band (I listened to Quantum Mystic 4 times running before even trying another of their tracks) but for my money, "Elaborations of Carbon" and "Illusion of Motion" both outperform everything I've heard otherwise. Of course, I haven't tried the new album because it isn't actually out yet. :colbert: (Really I've just been busy.)

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Seen them twice in Toronto and both shows are perfectly summed up by Dyna Soar's description. I'd see them again, because they do tend to play a lot of the stuff I like, but I'm into most of their back catalogue. Also, agreeing that they're way too loud, but having stood next to the loving speaker at Napalm Death, it really could've been worse. The worst part about a Boris show is that they seem to keep giving their drummer a mic for some reason. So distracting.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

In Toronto they're playing with Asobi Seksu who are also on on the Detroit, Montreal, Boston, New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Carrboro, Atlanta, and Orlando dates. If that's a good thing, let me know, 'cus I'm not paying stupid ticket prices to watch their drummer shout arbitrarily over developmentally-challenged amplifier levels unless the opener kicks rear end.

e: Really can't stress enough how much ORN stole the show from them when they opened at Lee's. Seriously, you're missing a lot if you haven't had this record for seconds after it was already an appetizer and main course. Just get it, you won't regret the reccomend.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=ORN+teeth+knowing

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 6, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Hey all, I've listened to Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss for years (and the Desert Sessions) and just recently have been binging on everything John Garcia has done and I'd like some recommendations for similar stuff. I just listened to Sleep's Holy Mountain for the first time (holy poo poo) and I like it a lot but it's more slow and doomy than I'd like at the moment. I like the spacey desert blues sound of songs like Space Cadet and the overall feel of Welcome to Sky Valley. I'd love to hear any bands/albums that are just as awesome. Thanks. :D

The OP has some killer recommendations, but I'll throw this out there:
Capricorns - Comrades in Tears
Brainoil - Wielding Strength
Melvins - Night Goat

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Thou is awesome. "Summit" is my favourite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NSm0w8uqk&feature=related

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Globochem posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but where do you guys get most of your stoner rock-related news? Ever since stonerrock.com and its forums died I haven't really been keeping up with the scene. Has anyone picked up where they left off?

All That Is Heavy is a good spot. Don't think they have forums though. P.S. Awesome name/title. "Bags, bags, bags!" Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles is also pretty good, though not very stoner-centric.

edit: Whoops, new page. Anybody heard the new Zombi yet? Pretty rad.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 6, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Start with Earth 2 and then don't stop.

Best advice.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The Gasmask posted:

It's grown on me though, the album sounds better the louder you play it :).

This perfectly describes so many of my favourite albums.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

flamingdawg posted:

if you like earthless, give 35007 a try: http://youtu.be/dPv9dPCKYAw

35007 is awesome and everyone should listen to them.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

So my roommate just told me about Harkonen and their other band, Helms Alee, and after a few cursory Dune jokes, I checked 'em out. They are pretty awesome in a pretty heavy way and definitely belong in this thread. I now want to form a sludge band called Atreides.

Harkonen - Grizz
Harkonen - Neverlanders
Helms Alee - Paraphrase

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

Yeah, a lot of their set list seemed to focus on their older stuff. Even though I know it never would have happened, it would have been great if they maybe threw some stuff in from their dronier albums like Amplifier Worship.

I haven't seen them in a couple years, but last time in Toronto they definitely played "Huge". Pretty much made my night.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

treetheheavy posted:

About to go see Red Fang again, I wish I could catch them sometime when they weren't just playing a half hour set. I really hope Mastodon doesn't have a lovely mix like the last time I saw them either.

I saw Mastodon at The Docks (in Toronto) opening for Dethklok (which is obviously a comedy bill, but Mastodon took it very seriously) and despite the fact that it's renowned for lovely mixing, and I've seen many poorly mixed shows there myself, speaking from a purely technical standpoint it was actually one of the best sounding shows I've attended. They played for about an hour and a half, too. I wish that type of Mastodon live experience upon you.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Cometa Rossa posted:

Somebody name me a couple of really, really, really slow doom albums.

Moss - Protected by the Ejaculation of Wolves
Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
Atavist - s/t
Ocean Chief - Tor
Bong - s/t

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Along similar lines to Mammatus and Earthless, who obviously loving rule, seriously check out Viaje a 800. Can't remember if 35007 has been mentioned yet, but they also kill it.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

NuclearGuru posted:

Has Keef been posted here before? I'm really digging them atm.

White Widow

Super swell guys to blaze and play a show with, too. Dunno how much touring they're doing lately, but if you ever come to T.O., there's Keef, Sons of Otis, Electric Magma, Nadja, Blood Ceremony and a few other local acts still active to my knowledge.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Falls Motel posted:

So I'm playing in a band called Lungs, I wanted to post some of our material and get feedback from you guys. Sorry for the Facebook link, but that should take you directly to the music player application.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lungs/112475152026?sk=app_2405167945

For any Minneapolis residents, we're playing Clashed Attitudes on Radio K this Sunday from 2-4PM. Going to be a live set, maybe a half hour or 45 minutes worth of music, then spinning records and getting interviewed. We're also playing Hell's Kitchen on the 18th, part of a Roller Girl event, which promises to be a fun time.

Thanks for listening dudes.

I'm really enjoying this, but i don't want to click "like" 'cuz you're at exactly 555 and :ohdear: . In any case, the mix is boss, quality translates well to a large stereo setup eq'd for sludge and cranked loud, so whoever produced it did their homework.

e: oof, that nice downturn in the riff at around 7:30 of sermon pretty much makes the song, why did it have to end so soon? that should've been the place to build the whole thing back up again! gives the drums some breathing room to gently caress around with alternate rhythms, and works so well with what comes before...

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 10, 2012

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

West posted:

Or just listen to Remission to avoid rampant keyboarding.

I am a firm believer in bands being able to consistently better themselves through the years as they continue to grow and expand their ability beyond their earliest recordings. Mastodon is a critical counter-argument to that belief, and as hard as they try, nothing they ever do will ever be as heavy as Remission. Even the early demo EP, which is pretty loving boss, is nowhere near as heavy. Leviathan was a drat good try, and I'm definitely a fan, but it's just not the same.

For me, Remission:Leviathan:Crack the Skye == Sleep:Teeth of Lions:Shrinebuilder

There are so many degrees between each that it's hardly even worth quantifying. Either you dig it or you don't.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

SaintJacques posted:

The new Melvins EP is out!

http://scionav.com/collection/917/The-Melvins---The-Bulls--The-Bees

Holy poo poo there's a free download! Thanks to you and Buzz both!

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

Love Sex Machine has put out one of the heaviest, ugliest sludge albums I've heard in years. Fans of Abominable Iron Sloth would probably appreciate.

Holy poo poo. Now I have to go check out Abominable Iron Sloth, but I don't want to stop playing this.

e: Okay, Abominable Iron Sloth is pretty cool, but I kind of get a slow-parts-of-Cephalic-Carnage vibe from them, and I'm not sure if I like that as much without the fast-parts-of-Cephalic-Carnage vibe.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 1, 2012

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Electric Magma and Brainoil spring immediately to mind.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Astrotrain posted:

The Heavy Eyes just posted some new stuff http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/album/2 .

Much as I love so much of what's happening in doom and sludge right now, this was the thing that got me most excited recently. These guys are on constant repeat for me, and I just can't get enough of their sound. Very, very good news.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I'm super jealous of you going to this, the lineup is incredible. Really wish Yob were doing more UK tour dates, I'd love to see them live.

Yob is an incredible band to see live, they're really nice, too.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Interstitial Abs posted:

So I'm actually thinking about starting a radio show at a friend's prompting, and the theme would be "doom country". Doom and country separately, or together... Earth, obviously, but also dark country/folk/Americana. Checking out Man's Gin cuz of this thread. Other recommendations?

Weedeater, The Heavy Eyes, Clutch?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Planet X posted:

New Sons of Otis is out on bandcamp and itunes.

http://smallstone.bandcamp.com/album/s-e-i-s-m-i-c

Curious to know the perspective here.

Don't get me wrong, still love the band, but I stand by my statement. I've met them several times and they just keep getting less personable.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

I also don't hear even a hint of Hawkwind in their music, apart from the goofy sci-fi lyrics. Where are you getting that comparison from?

Definitely; Hawkwind was more spacey and drifted a lot over droney repetition; they had tons of horns and group vocals. The Sword is much more driving, and changes up the riffs a heck of a lot more often. I still thought Warp Riders was pretty cool, though.

e: Holy poo poo this is hard to watch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUOPr4HTlU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm really loving the new Neurosis so far. I actually enjoy the slower, more folk (if you can call it that) approach they've been taking lately.

Well then you may want to check out Steve Von Till's solo stuff if you haven't yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFO4GFvj9IM

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

Am I doing something wrong? Because the new Soundgarden album is beige as gently caress.

I'm with this. I grew up on Badmotorfinger and Fopp, this new poo poo sucks. However, I like Steve Von Till's solo stuff, and that's not a tremendously popular opinion in this thread either, so :shrug:

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lord Mantis?

I guess this is more black metal than grindcore, though.

EDIT: Also, Indian.

Lord Mantis is my new favourite poo poo, man, holy moley that's some awesome heavy.
P.S. Indian rules.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvSiZAeU6o

A lil' holiday spirit.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

This is the one that always, loving always does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x8LbhQlOYc

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

had the day off and this was the soundtrack to my productivity.
(also, rad news about uncle acid!)

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Holy loving poo poo, how did I did not know about this before? Thank you, thank you, thank you. Rad as gently caress. :black101: :hf: :black101:

Not doom, but a funny metal thing:
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...plifier+worship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Planet X posted:

Funny how you go see one band and the opening band(s) end up being the great find for you.

That's exactly how I discovered Orn; they opened for Anagram (a local synth-pop group my ex dragged me to see) and I fell in love immediately. They played a 40 minute set and it consisted of two of the heaviest, slowest songs I've ever heard to this day. It's always an amazing feeling when the opener steals the show. They're also super loving sweet dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1Miqt7AO8