Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Hahaha, who gives a poo poo?
I've never done it and does seem kind of hokey but it does seem pretty reasonable for a fan to wear black shirt of the band they are going to see instead of intentionally picking another black shirt just because.

I agree. It irks me for no valid reason at all, but still.
Can't wait for my Sleep vinyl honestly, and the possibility of new/more Sleep material is making me all giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Hahaha, I got schooled (and rightfully so).

I had high hopes for the latest UFOMAMMUT, and while I think it's a solid effort, sadly it's no EVE. Maybe the second part'll blow my mind.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I got mine last week as well, together with the hoodie. Belgium.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

HoF's debut is some of the best stuff they've ever recorded, if not the best.

EDIT: Also, have never had a problem with SL, and I regularly order from them (I'm Belgian).

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Elijah Snow posted:

Yay for changing the Roadburn ticket sale almost two months ahead, and selling them at a party before opening the online sales. Bullshit.

Major bullshit. Shifting the sales to this early a date really fucks with me: the only band currently interesting to me is Electric Wizard, and even so, to a mild degree. None of the other bands tickle my fancy the slightest. Still, I'll probably buy two tickets because it won't be a problem to get rid of them if I decide not to go.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Bought 2 3-day tickets because all that's currently known for the Afterburner is Sigh and gently caress that poo poo.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

When GOAT got added to the Roadburn 2013 line-up I instantly dismissed them because of the silly bandname but as it turns out they're really great.

http://youtu.be/keAwK766Ek0

Will be seeing them for sure.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

amplifier worship posted:

Well then you may want to check out Steve Von Till's solo stuff if you haven't yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFO4GFvj9IM

This song (and everything by Neurosis save for the one song Locust Star) pretty much encapsulates my dislike for anything neurot: it's all so pretentious beyond belief. Easy and fake depth everywhere.

I consider myself an Isis fan though, so maybe I've got no leg to stand on with the above opinion.

For content: Serpentine Path is great.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

Serpentine Path didn't grab me at all. Apparently the Unearthly Trance guys had exactly one good album in them (Electrocution) and are otherwise content with being completely unremarkable musicians

I'll have to check that one out then, I've heard nothing of Unearthly Trance as of yet.

As for Serpentine Path, it's absolutely glacial the whole length through, but for me it never becomes boring (which could've easily been the case really). I have to commend the album for that.

EDIT: Goddamn Electrocution is GREAT.

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 6, 2012

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress YES!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah, whether or not Nick sucks, Josh Homme is every bit as much of an rear end in a top hat...

Are you referring to the whole Kyuss Lives! thing? Because he's pretty much in the right on that one as far as I can see.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Seeing as Soundgarden is only tangentially related to this thread I'll just chime in to say something completely unrelated about the new Graveyard album Lights Out in that it is better than Hisingen Blues after a couple of listens.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

High on Fire playing two shows at Roadburn 2013 including one of The Art of Self Defense in its entirety. NNGGGGHHFUCKYES!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Absence is miles ahead of anything else Isis has ever done and it's the only album of them I own. I'd buy Mosquito Control as well.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Home from watching Clutch live for the first time just now. Best show I've ever been to? Perhaps. Funnest show I've ever been to? Definitely.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

New Wovenhand is great.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

That Jus is such a retard, honestly.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

YOB's "Nothing to Win" is fantastic. I was sceptical about the new album (I dislike everything Neurosis and Neurot) but I'm glad to see YOB's YOB. Super stoked they might even outreach the peak that is "Adrift in the Ocean".

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Interesting- I've always felt that "Adrift In The Ocean" was one of their weaker tunes, since it reuses some of the riffs from Middian's "Dreamless Eye."

I'll have to keep an ear out for that!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Brogeoisie posted:

Yeah.. pretty bad. I felt like it would have been tolerable if the lyrics weren't so bad + they axed that spoken word segment. Or their logo. Or the pulpit thingy. Can't believe Scott Kelly would subject himself to that.

Scott Kelly's a tool. Check out his blog for proof.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

AstroWhale posted:

I also want to say that Yob live is :pusheen:.Also, I still can't get into Pallbearer.

Yeah Pallbearer doesn't scratch my itch either. At all.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

I haven't heard Electric Wizard's Return Trip in awhile, so I listened to it this morning. I laughed because at the end it sounds like he is screaming I'LL NEVER poo poo AGAIN!!

Well E Wiz's latest releases have been utter poo poo so he obviously lied about that.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

they had a good run, one good and four excellent albums in a row. then I guess jus just became the burned out junkie he'd been fantasizing about and started ripping himself instead of black sabbath

I don't agree with you much but this is truth.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

http://www.desertfest.be/ , starting tomorrow :getin:

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Recently Reinvented By Pallbearer

Not really.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

Crossposting from the general metal thread:

The site I write for requested 30 entries for our end of year-lists this year, here's mine:

1 YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend
2 Earth - Primitive And Deadly
3 Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry
4 Teitanblood - Death
5 The Order Of The Solar Temple - The Order Of The Solar Temple
6 Goat - Commune
7 Blood Of Kingu - Dark Star On The Right Horn Of The Crescent Moon
8 Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials
9 The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li
10 Monolord - Empress Rising
11 Fen - Carrion Skies
12 Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
13 Rome - A Passage To Rhodesia
14 Spectral Haze - I.E.V.: Transmuted Nebula Remains
15 Panopticon - Roads To The North
16 Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate
17 Satanic Warmaster - Fimbulwinter
18 Bong - Stoner Rock
19 Thou - Heathen
20 Bastard Sapling - Instinct Is Forever
21 Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
22 The Body - I Shall Die Here
23 Midnight - No Mercy For Mayhem
24 Paramnesia - Paramnesia
25 Bongripper - Miserable
26 Bölzer - Soma
27 John Gallow - Violet Dreams
28 Death Penalty - Death Penalty
29 Truckfighters - Universe
30 Tumbleweed Dealer - Western Horror

I know I'm missing a lot of great stuff, but holy poo poo 2014 has been packed with fantastic metal.

Ailo Ravna.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

hahahaha new acid king album cover, what the gently caress

is that title a "Songs for the Deaf" reference?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

This has got to be old news by now but Monolord's Empress Rising is awesome. I shied away from it due to the lukewarm title track but boy was that ever a mistake.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Saw Monolord, Salem's Pot and Saturnalia Temple yesterday. Monolord and Salem's pot were great, but there's something about Saturnalia Temple that just bores the hell out of me - apologies to the goon that's part of said band.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

So who was 'first'? Earth, Sleep or Melvins? I'm guessing Hung Bunny is?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Cough have announced they're starting work on a third album, can't wait to hear how they follow up on Ritual Abuse.

loving finally! For some reason Cough hits home unlike any other doom band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_6xi9TEBE

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Miserable is a turd of an album, but SWD is amazing. Nobody's "dismissing" you Dyna Soar, yours is just one opinion amongst others, it doesn't hold any special weight to it like you've come to believe.

(I agree with you on the Lysol thing though, bought the vinyl re-issue because Lysol is the best, particularly Hung Bunny.)

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 3, 2015

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6reiZHPrtw

Also, when I think YOB I invariably think of this trinity of songs: Universe Throb, Quantum Mystic & Ball of Molten Lead. Anybody else prefer old YOB to recent YOB? (Not that recent YOB isn't great as well, mind you.)

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

New High on Fire is so good!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yob is the best. I already have my ticket to see them when they come through Brooklyn, but apparently they added a second show two days later in Manhattan. Giving serious thought to grabbing a ticket to that one as well.

Do it.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I can never get over the solo in this. So loving good. 3:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3RXqzOGtU

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Saw Windhand described as peanut butter jelly flavour in a YouTube comment. Always the same, yet never unwelcome. I tend to agree.

So looking forward to the next Cough album though, here's hoping Chandler Parker's still unhappy as gently caress with his lot in life.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

stop posting all these terrible bands jeez

What's the latest good one you've come across?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

So about the band Blown Out:
I've not heard of them before :stare: and now I'm getting acquainted after a friend's recommendation. This is good. Instrumental as far as I can tell. file under psych/stoner/doom. Apparently a dude from Bong is in it and someone from 11 Paranoias.

Edit: Forgot the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlKu7aHGnY

Uhhh thanks for this, somebody got their vinyl ordered!

And the Bong dude's Mike Vest. Dude's been getting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Windhand might be samey as poo poo but drat if Kingfisher doesn't tickle my tonebone.