Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was looking for something to flatten my new Godflesh tour poster, then noticed this gaudy gold frame I've had sitting around unused. It's the exact size, wham-bam-instant fine art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Going through boxes of old stuff, and hey! Totally forgot about this, I think it's from 1993.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just saw Jucifer last night, went last minute because my friend's band Mammal was opening up. Glad I stayed because that white wall of amps piled up to the ceiling was pretty awesome. My favorite part was when the drummer speared a stick through the side of a beer can then shotgunned it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nerve posted:

He was pretty loving embarrassingly bad both nights opening for Sleep. And my god the lyrics for that poo poo sounds like something a 13 year old would write. Horrible.

Sad to hear this. I wouldn't imagine him being that corny and bad, was actually looking forward to hearing Corrections House until now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: HOLKY MOUNTAIN

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The rear end Stooge posted:

I've never listened to the Melvins. If I enjoy the likes of Harvey Milk, Eyehategod, Old Man Gloom, Bongripper, etc., which Melvins album(s) should I start with?

Pretty much everything pre-Houdini, but maybe that's just what I like. Eggnog is great, and yeah Bullhead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bungripper

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

chunkles posted:

He's a huge fan of that dude who thinks reptilians control the world and that's why a lot of Sleep/High on Fire lyrics have dragons/snakes and poo poo, apparently. I still am not sure whether he takes it seriously.

Matt Picke :cthulhu:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm that guy that doesn't do drugs and listens to the most stereotypically "stoner" music out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I Might have to pick between upcoming Bongzilla and Conan shows here in NYC. I haven't seen them before, is either one known for especially great live shows?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kvlt! posted:

Electric Wizard certainly isn't helping because everytime you google "Dopethrone" they come up.

If you add -"electric wizard" it's a lot easier, but I still don't see anyone else selling it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What a great week of shows, just saw Ufomammut, Conan, and last night Portal all at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn.

Now Bongzilla coming up in a couple weeks things are looking good this summer :woop:

E- small venues are the best

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 29, 2015

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw Pelt open for Earth once, and while it's more on the psych drone side of things they did use a fair amount of exotic instruments.

Other than that one show I don't know anything about them so I can't recommend any particular releases but hurdy-gurdy like pumped drone box instruments were in full effect.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok now this is a stretch but talking about interesting instruments in dark music makes me think of the Rhythm Devils album recorded for Apocalypse Now. I guess it's more tribal percussion or something but the whole record has this great spooky evil feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yUanhu3svk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6-XC_uMzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PD1I_2YgAI

theres Grateful Dead members in the band but don't let that scare you off, it's good

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Gasmask posted:

Thou at St Vitus Friday, gonna be going most likely. Loved them when I caught them in CT, so another show nearby so soon is great.

Ooh thanks for the reminder that they're doing a matinee at ABC no Rio on saturday. One of the opening bands is described as emoviolence however, so I'm hoping to avoid that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, The Shrine are really good live. Their show with Dirty Fences was one of the better rock and roll gigs I've seen recently.

Was that at Acheron by any chance? I saw those two play together and both were good. Dirty Fences was one of the smiliest good-time bands I've seen in years.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn it I just missed last minute tickets for Neurosis at Saint Vitus tonight. I would have loved to see them in a small venue.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I actually thought that description of heaviness was surprisingly lame but the whole documentary felt really half assed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

Surprisingly the Sabbath covers Sleep recorded are both pretty dull.

Aw, I always liked Lord of This World. The fake introduction and crowd noise is hilarious. I got that 7" from Off the Disk right when it came out.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tool fans seem to hate a wide variety of good music.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Maybe if people didn't like it they were just used to Maynard being a loving troll.

Is he really being a troll by bringing all those good bands on tour? I guess only if he knows that his fans are incredibly closed minded because that just seems like a cool thing to do otherwise.

I've never been able to get into any Tool but their seemingly consistent choices in quality opening acts make it seem like they have decent taste at least.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gaddamn black sabbath tickets at Madison square garden cost a lot. Not sure if I want to drop that much money but I feel obligated.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I usually get bitchy when a show is more than $15 so the idea of paying $300 or so is tough but maybe it's worth it. I haven't seen them since 85 and would love to see the last tour.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

They're amazing live but their albums just put me to sleep.

They're great for falling asleep. I also like harsh noise at low volume for that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nelson Mandela posted:

Hah, came here to post this. They're all amazing. I've been listening to them all day at work and I'm in a weird place right now.

I seriously want these on vinyl.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think the Chipmunks have finally made me appreciate clean vocal doom.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was surprised that Bell Witch's Four Phantoms was still available on the 400 copy limited burnt orange vinyl. Didn't that come out early this year? I guess I thought they were better known because I feel like I see lots of praise for them.

Glad to finally catch on to them and have a show coming this tuesday!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The vinyl just came out a few weeks ago.

Oh haha duh :downs: now I'm bummed I didn't get the gold

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got a job at a venue just for a day because Metallica was playing on the Master of Puppets tour. Cliff died and the show was postponed, it ended up being one of the first with Jason.

I spent the day repairing the old seats in the theater while the bands set up and soundchecked. The best part was sitting in the first row watching Metallica play and the only other audience members were some random hot babe and Fleming Rasmussen, who I also got to talk to for a while. I also got to wander around onstage checking out the gear but didn't meet the band.

Metal Church opened, then when Metallica came on people started smashing the the cushions out of the seats I had spent the day fixing, it was pretty funny.

Thanks for reminding me of that, just checked out the setlist:

BATTERY
MASTER OF PUPPETS
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
WELCOME HOME (SANITARIUM)
RIDE THE LIGHTNING
BASS SOLO
WHIPLASH
THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE
FADE TO BLACK
SEEK AND DESTROY
CREEPING DEATH

ENCORE
THE FOUR HORSEMEN
GUITAR SOLO
AM I EVIL?
DAMAGE, INC.

ENCORE #2
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

I probably already posted that before :smith:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got my patch fix last night, saw Bell Witch, Malthusian, and Luminous Vault. I got two Bell Witch shirts, including one from their euro tour, and a back patch. Should have bought the third shirt and poster

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

And Bell Witch is coming around again, that's nice.

E- to nyc in February

Snowy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 2, 2015

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Finally checked out that Wrekmeister Harmonies and ordered the record immediately. So glad they're playing with Bell Witch.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hadn't listened to Wrekmeister Harmonies only because I don't like the silly name. A friend even contributed to the most recent record but I was still too skeptical to waste my precious time. Glad I got over that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are Kings Destroy any good? They seem like douchey tough guy NYHC dudes but keep popping up on shows with bands I like.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone going to Levitation/Austin Psych Fest this year?

Probably already mentioned but it's a pretty good lineup including Sleep, Sunn, Boris and a bunch of other good poo poo.

I heard the prices are going up at some point, anyone have an idea of when that might happen? I'm almost sure I'm going but can't get the tickets until I can confirm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Also, I was viewing the name as a more cosmic "we are all made of stars" kind of thing.

Yeah me too, I really like the name looking at it that way.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The only two Marijuanas I see on Discogs are a Romanian female hip hop singer and a trippy lo-fi hip hop instrumental group that sounds pretty cool. I like the slow heavy bass on this one: http://marijuanamusic.bandcamp.com/track/pie-eyed

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How is Dylan Carlson solo? Saint Vitus just announced a show in May.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I've seen Wrekmeister Harmonies mentioned here a few times but is Bell Witch any good live? The show they're both doing at St. Vitus was on Jukely so I grabbed a spot for the hell of it

I loved them the last time they were at Saint Vitus so I'll be there tonight. It's going to be hard to leave the apartment though, cold rain on a tuesday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Laserface posted:

I would like a lot more of the stuff posted in this thread if it had no vocals

That goes for all genres for me. Besides saxophone, vocals are the most likely element of a song to ruin the whole thing.