Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Laserface posted:

Im not a fan of the first one but DSR and Spires/burn EP are exactly what I wanted out of heavy music my entire life and I finally found it.

Really? I find their first album really good, actually, but then again I listened to their discography obsessively for about a week or so now. I find their s/t to be really composed for stoner metal/doom. They burn through so many good riffs. White Walls starts out with a pretty rocken riff before the first verse, but only launches into its main riff after it. I found that to be pretty clever songwriting, especially for the genre. It also features a nice crescendo in tempo and intensity which culminates in a pretty awesome organ drop, which then leads back into the main riff, and it just... all flows so well. It's a really "classy" album in general, but then again I could say the same thing about literally all of their releases so far.

Also, Reflections of a Dying World is easily my favorite album of 2017, I think. It's just so well composed. Sanctuary starts off with a pretty monumental riff right off the bat, and they just ride that out for a while, with some really nice dueling mellotrons and guitars, then they introduce this really nice, pretty riff on clean guitar, then they make it heavy. Then they make it heavier. The next two songs are really great as well, but, really, Blind is the highlight of the album, and I think it might be one of their best songs. The way they ride out most of the song on two riffs, one that anchors the song and is kinda its "theme", and then the secondary riff, which starts off really insistent, almost claustrophobic, especially the way it keeps getting reintroduced, and then it changing and becoming more... mournful as the song progresses, it's just really fuckin awesome songwriting. I like that the song also gets lost along the way in a really gorgeous instrumental section that just sounds... joyful. Sonntag, ehhhh, I don't care much for it because it kinda fucks up the flow of the album, but once it gets going, it's a pretty decent jam.

Anyway, just really wanted to talk about Sanctuary and Blind, because goddamn, these songs kinda made me feel like what I think it must've been like back in the 70s when Yes dropped Close to the Edge, or King Crimson's Lizard or something, and hearing that stuff for the first time.

Edit: Also, Riddle of Steel Pt 1 (off the s/t) has a pretty monumental riff happening at around 5:23 (well, the guitar only comes in at 5:55, but you should start earlier). I also dig that the fast guitar part from the first section of the song gets reintroduced in the second, only for it to segue into the epic riff again. Again, pretty clever songwriting, especially for the genre.

Having read further back in the thread, I now saw the discussions about main dude wanting to not be associated with the genre. Shrug. I think being pigeonholed in one genre is kind of a bad thing. Yeah, Dead Roots Stirring is a pretty incredible album. But none of their albums have sounded alike. The s/t does not sound like DRS, and Lore doesn't sound like Reflections. There are similarities, sure, but their sound is a lot different on Reflections. More intricate. On Lore they were still a trio, and I think the album sounded like it. Anyway, I think rigidly trying to hold them to an album they released 7 years ago is a bit... unfair, I guess? It seems like you're listening to these new albums with the sole intent on drawing comparisons to DRS, and then being resentful when there aren't any. But, again - none of their albums really sound the same, except it's very obviously the same guitarist.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
I really enjoyed Howling Giant’s cover of Rooster on that. Their split album with Sergeant Thunderhoof is loving awesome, as well, by the way, if you’re still looking for great Ripple releases to buy on sale.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

PalaNIN posted:

https://sergeantthunderhoof.bandcamp.com/album/this-sceptred-veil

So I've only just heard about Sgt Thunderhoof and their latest album is totally my jam. Does anyone have recommendations on what to check out from their back catalogue next?

Check out their split with Howling Giant, Masamune & Muramasa. It's still my favourite release of theirs (same with Howling Giant).

Delicate Sound of Thunderhoof is also pretty great, it features acoustic reinterpretations of some of their more popular songs from previous albums.

If you just want a regular-rear end album from them, though, you can't really go wrong with Terra Solus, their previous. First three songs are pretty killer.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Dead Shrines - The Eightfold Path came out a couple weeks ago and it's pretty drat good stoner/heavy psych. Reminds me a bit of Sgt. Thunderhoof sometimes, but doomier. Solo project from the Lamp of the Universe guy, ex-Datura, ex-Arc of Ascent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuvHqQIRank

e: oh yeah, and the new Rotor is out too. Instrumental prog stoner grooves with twin guitar harmonies. They get pretty heavy/doomy, too, as in the below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4VY1JD0glE

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 7, 2023