Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Matt Pike rules and so does this song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

hankki posted:

Just wanted to post this:

Jesse and the Ancient Ones - Sulfur Giants

because holy poo poo this is just too good. Can't wait for the album!

This reminds me a lot of The Devil's Blood, so yeah, it's pretty cool stuff.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So here's Baroness' tracklist for the new album(s), and more importantly the artwork:

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=173066 posted:

Disc 1:
01. Yellow Theme
02. Take My Bones Away
03. March To The Sea
04. Little Things
05. Twinkler
06. Cocainium
07. Back Where I Belong
08. Sea Lungs
09. Eula

Disc 2:
01. Green Theme
02. Board Up The House
03. Mtns. (The Crown & Anchor)
04. Foolsong
05. Collapse
06. Psalms Alive
07. Stretchmarker
08. The Line Between
09. If I Forget Thee, Lowcountry

It's too bad the resolution is so small, I think John Baizley is one of the most impressive modern artists around right now (not that I know anything about the painting world). It looks great.

I also didn't realize it was a double album til' now, good poo poo.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Matt Pike is a very cool man. Glad that he recognized he has a problem and is getting it sorted out, but I hope this doesn't adversely affect his marijuana consumption.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Geddy Krueger posted:

Pitchfork is streaming another new Baroness track, "March to the Sea".

It's not what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, but I can't say I'm not excited as hell for this album.

This is loving awesome. Absolutely awesome. I'm glad they took this direction, and really I think it was inevitable, the thing that struck me most about these guys when I first got into them was the more melodic tendencies of the band.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Juaguocio posted:

I agree. There's nothing wrong with sounding "poppy" as long as the music is exciting and interesting, but I hear nothing exciting or interesting in the new Baroness. Their older material is uniquely theirs, but on their new album they pretty much sound like everyone else.

I didn't realize other bands sounded like this. Please direct me to more March to the Sea-esque material and I will be very happy, friend.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I ripped the stream, so I could throw it up somewhere, but I don't know if that's :filez: or not.

I've been looking for it all around to no avail. I dunno about the :filez: thing, but I think it's worth sacrificing your account so I can listen.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sweet bro Baizley, touch me good like you always do.

edit: Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, but I wasn't really feeling Yellow & Green. There are definitely some cool tunes and melodies spattered about, but I'm really missing whatever semblance of metal these guys had. I'll have to give it another shot, I really want to like it.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 5, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This happened to me as soon as the vocals come in on Little Things. That song is loving awesome, but the vocals just don't hold up.

I was thinking the exact same thing about Little Things. I realized that this is my issue with the album, John Baizley's attempt at softer vocals is just weak. He is a strong singer at louder volumes and nails the melodies, but a lot of his gentler work here is kinda shoddy.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I didn't want to admit it to myself, but there are only about 5 songs between the Yellow and Green that aren't complete and utter poo poo. There are inklings of genius that show up now and again, but the albums are mostly marred by lovely vocals and even worse lyrics.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Juaguocio posted:

I would love to turn back time and see them when they were touring that album in Midwest dives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeOTOGUimM It's pretty funny to see Matt getting heckled. How times have changed.

Christ, it has been a rough 12 years for Matt Pike's body.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

aliencowboy posted:

This might be the most stoner metal video ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

Holy poo poo, what a great band backup Jesus has blessed us with.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

m-o-o-n posted:

Woven Hand released a new album and it's good and yes David Eugene Edwards belongs in this here thread.

I love how metal fans have claimed 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand as one of their own. I haven't really checked out his Woven Hand material thoroughly yet, I love Secret South and Low Estate though, I love Secret South and Low Estate though, is there any album I should start with?

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The Hopscotch Festival has released the line-up: http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/news/post/2013-hopscotch-lineup-announced/

Besides Sleep and Gorguts can anyone point me to any other heavier bands on that list? With the exception of Sleep this line-up doesn't seem to have the metal that the previous year had.

Pig Destroyer is there if you're into grindcore at all.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

polynominal-c posted:

First song of my new doom/post metal band. I hope I won't get probated for posting this outside ML...

I like it. I wish the vocals were higher in the mix though, they sound pretty solid.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oil! posted:

It is the more difficult version of debating the best Goblin between Orange Goblin and Goblin Cock.

In this analogy, Nekrogoblikon plays the role of Cannabis Corpse by being out of genre.

I actually came across Goblin Cock a few days ago by accident, I only listened to anything because their name is hilarious. Turns out their music is actually good... it was a strange revelation.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I was expecting the typical 'my friend's band' trash, but this is actually really good, surprisingly well produced music.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shab posted:

Really enjoying the singles from Royal Thunder's upcoming release. Super clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LdUo_6qenE

This owns. What a solid band.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new hof song is loving great. I don't understand how Matt Pike has gotten better as a vocalist despite the constant smoking and alcoholism.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Stoked for this:

Album Cover:

Awesome album art, seems Ernst Haeckel inspired.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Henchman of Santa posted:

Khemmis made a pretty dope debut album. The buzz band potential is strong with these guys.

This is really good

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What is Yob's setlist looking like lately? I'm seeing them Sunday and I'm really hoping I get to hear Marrow live.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm the dumb idiot that didn't wear ear plugs to the Yob concert. gently caress. So good though.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So what you're saying is I should invest in some earplugs before next Friday?

Holy poo poo yes. That was a lesson I did not want to learn. Honestly, not only would I have saved my hearing, I bet it would have sounded better as well.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I have to agree with this too. I've been biting my tongue with Baroness lately but I just don't get it. The vox blow (technically they are OK, but the style is not for me) and the music is not groovy. I'm not usually one to post about how I don't like things because to each their own, but I'm feeling a little frisky for various reasons so yeah.

I wish John Baizley didn't wreck his shouty voice and I wish someone told him that his actual singing is not something that merits being recorded. Oh well, there are still some pretty cool moments on Purple.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to hear some Purple on the radio, that would be loving wild for Ontario. The heaviest track any of the radio stations are willing to play is Run To The Hills on the rare occasion. Metal (and rap for that matter) is almost completely ignored here.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
yob rules

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
hold up. sleep is releasing a new album out of nowhere after 15 years? woooooo

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

nomapple posted:

Feel really bad for King Goat releasing on the same day as Sleep, but if you like your doom on the proggy/melodic side I really recommend this album. Definitely check it out if you dig Pallbearer. I know the name is trash, but yeah. https://kinggoat.bandcamp.com/

king goat is awesome and I am extremely excited for this album. didn't realize it came out tomorrow, hell yes.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
been trying to convince myself otherwise for a few days now, but the new Yob is pretty boring

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah about 45 minutes of Mirror Reaper is what I think it was, but it was such an exhausting set that I can really only guess it was about that long. Like I said right after the show it felt like hearing a song end for the entire set and it is a weird feeling.

In my head I now class them as an "experience" band, kind of like I imagine Sunn to be. I've been to hundreds of shows at this point in my life and I have definitely never come across that before.

Just saw them and yeah they're definitely an "experience" band. I never really looked into them much beforehand and was blown away that it's just a dude with a 6 string bass and a drummer. The bassist is hitting these absolutely massive chords where I swear there are points he's got all 10 fingers on the fretboard. The drummer's vocals were also terrifying at times. For me the show kinda alternated between feelings of overwhelming awe and mind numbing boringness where I fully checked out of reality. Not sure if I'd be into their recorded stuff, but the live act was really interesting.

And Yob ruled. The Screen was probably the highlight for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
the new high on fire is really good. lot of stand out tracks but sanctioned annihilation might be my favourite so far.